Where should Literary Bond go from here?

13»

Comments

I've bought every release since the Benson novels in Hardback, they look better on a bookshelf that way.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I try to buy the paperback editions too if I can find them but I'm something of a literary Bond completist. :D
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Why is that the wave of the future? Comic book sales are at a comparative low point in the overall history of the medium. The last few Bond novels sold far more copies than the last comic book.

I think what @Trip meant is that it allows to get back to Fleming and explore his universe by adapting it, instead of diluting it in continuation works.
    Interesting that IFP haven't announced a new author.
    If they are to keep up their rhythm of bi-annual releases you'd have thought they'd have done it by now ?
    Yeah I am kind of curious too I would suspect the next adult novel will come out in 2017 as since 2011 they have had one out every other year (Carte Blanche 2011 Solo 2013 Trigger Mortis 2015) so likely there will be one next year right?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,727
    That might mean that Horowitz is going to write a series of Bond novels, possibly continuing to use more unseen Fleming TV treatment material. They announced Trigger Mortis in October 2014 so there's still time yet to hear from IFP for a 2017 new Bond novel release.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2016 Posts: 3,157
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Solo was so bad I haven't picked up trigger Mortis because of it (I will pick up the paper back in September) devil may care was also garbage and is a period piece.

Yeah, that's really clever. I didn't like Die Another Day, for example, so I never watched Daniel Craig movies.
    If they are to keep up their rhythm of bi-annual releases you'd have thought they'd have done it by now ?

Well, Horowitz was announced at the end of 2014, less than a year before his book got released. I guess someone will be announced this fall.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Why is that the wave of the future? Comic book sales are at a comparative low point in the overall history of the medium. The last few Bond novels sold far more copies than the last comic book.

I think what @Trip meant is that it allows to get back to Fleming and explore his universe by adapting it, instead of diluting it in continuation works.

And comic books are not the same thing as graphic novels. Or was that @Birdleson 's point?
    Walecs wrote: »
    Solo was so bad I haven't picked up trigger Mortis because of it (I will pick up the paper back in September) devil may care was also garbage and is a period piece.

Yeah, that's really clever. I didn't like Die Another Day, for example, so I never watched Daniel Craig movies.

That's witty banter at its best, @Walecs. :))
    Walecs wrote: »

Well, Horowitz was announced at the end of 2014, less than a year before his book got released. I guess someone will be announced this fall.

I also hated Devil may care so let see I hated the last two times they did s period piece bond novel why would I be in a rush to pick up the third try of an idea I clearly hate....

But yeah I will pick it up an read it
    DEVIL MAY CARE is certainly the weakest of the continuation novels that I have read (I have not tried any of the Bensons).

They are actually better.

TripAces wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

And comic books are not the same thing as graphic novels. Or was that @Birdleson 's point?

Maybe I misunderstood the initial point but I was reading your statement as saying that the continuation novels are a thing of the past (which I don't care about one way or another, I'll read some of them but Fleming is the real deal), and the "wave of the future" is in graphic novels. I don't think that the one will supplant the other in terms of production, sales or public awareness. If you are just stating personal preference then I have no point to make about it.

Continuations are as old as literature. I generally don't care for them but they are what they are and you can't get rid of them. But I think the best way to pay homage and use the source material is to adapt it, not copy it. In many ways and it is not exclusive to Bond continuation works are often glorified fanfics (and that is my controversial statement of the day).
    As for the recent continuation novels I would rate them thus
    Devil May Care ...weak and that's being kind. The book was hampered by the gimmick of big shot Faulks "writing as Ian Fleming"
    Carte Blanche ...very weak. Book was not hampered by the modern setting. It was plagued by Deaver imbuing Bond with Dudley Do Right traits, plus Deaver overdosing on surprise plot twists, which is how he writes I guess, but it's not in the Bond tradition. Bond novels are adventure thrillers.

Solo. This book was meh. It was ok. Just not real interesting. Kind of dull. Passable I guess. Readable at least. Boyd, unlike Deaver, wrote the character well enough I think, and that is vital. But the story was well, not a real grabber

Trigger Mortis. All things considered an excellent read, which is why I support Horowitz continuing .
    Simple He writes a good Bond book, so does Cole on the Young Bond side.
    I do think Horowitz will continue. IFP, I think needs to figure out what they want him to do, ie more period pieces or pick up in the present?