Staying Awake: Which Bond Movies have the best pace?

2»

Comments

LTK, FRWl, TSWLM, CR, many others. I'd say most Bond films are well paced. I never feel bored, even with Brosnan.
  • Odd how most Bond enthusiasts have the 1964 Connery entry as their most favorite Bond adventure isin't it

Even most neutrals agree it's the best of the lot but I warrant half of those haven't even seen the film

I haven't seen this one for a year or two despite owning it at home, but take it from me it's largely a stale exercise that generates little excitement

The first sighting of Bond we get, is emerging from some water with a plastic duck on his head FFS

Standout bits for me is the electrocution of Oddjob and the countdown to the bomb at the Fort Knox depository and, well not much else if memory serves

The Gert Frobe demise of being sucked out of an airplane window still seems far fetched, and although Honor Blackman is a fine actress, her character never was an interest and I found her a bit dull

Forgot to mention the golfing bit near the beginning was actually quite enthralling whereas it keeps the attention and there is a element of suspense

But for the most part this Bond release simply drags on and rarely rises up from mundane or boring.

@Baltimore_007: You hit the nail on the head, my friend! My thoughts exactly on Goldfinger.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GE and CR are ones that I just cannot turn off, it seems. I can watch them from start to finish with no problem in the slightest. The pace is excellent.
    @Creasy47: Ah, glad to see you back Creasy! It's been a good while since I last talked to you! As always, I agree with you. Martin Campbell knows how to hold our attention!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @00Beast, nice to talk to you again, as well! College has been keeping me a lot busier than I initially expected. But, I'm still trying my best to get on from time to time, whether I reply to a topic or not.

And yes, Campbell is very good at that. I think we should put him in a cryo freezing tube, and every time a new actor rolls around to play the next Bond, we pull him out, let him do his thing, and stick him back in there. He really knows how to ignite the spark with a new Bond film.
    @Creasy47: Right again! They need to save his potential for when Bond is at his greatest need, like what he did in 1995 and 2006. Both were pivotal years for 007, and they got the right man for the right job. Just imagine what it would have been like if Campbell had directed OHMSS, LALD, and TLD. Their respective years of 1969, 1973, and 1987 were those years where Bond was tossed up in the air, waiting for some help after their leading guy had dropped the role. I couldn't imagine how much greater these three could have been under Campbell's direction.
    OMG why the heck did the production team cut the roof top chase in OHMSS!!! The first half of the film is SO slow....
    @Virage: Agreed! The second half is what's worth watching!
    OMG why the heck did the production team cut the roof top chase in OHMSS!!! The first half of the film is SO slow....
    Actually that would slow down the plot considerably with a useless action scene. OHMSS has some poignant action moments from the get go, with the Beach PTS and Bond fighting Draco's men in the hotel. There is also suspense in the Gumboldt's office scene, built up perfectly with Barry's score.

This is exactly the problem with modern day Bond: action scenes as filler--think the foot chases, the boat chase and the plane chase in QOS. Some of it looks great but not all necessary.
    Most of the movies held my attention, if I must say one that actually almost puts me to sleep in Thunderball. I just found some parts undeniably boring.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    @Virage: Agreed! The second half is what's worth watching!
    A way to look at OHMSS that may help you to appreciate the film better on the whole is that it actually reverses the importance of the 2 standard Bond formula storylines, i.e., Bond's battling the villain and his relationship with the leading lady. The first 1/3 deals with the Bond/Tracy romance, the second 1/3 deals with Bond's discovery of Blofeld's sinister plans, and the final 1/3 blends the two.
    After watching Moonraker last night, I thought it had a great pace. I never once wanted to skip ahead to a good scene or shut off my brain until some action happened. Quite frankly, that was a big step for me, because I usually can't stand the pace of Moonraker, but last night I found it to be much better!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think TSWLM is one of the best paced entries. I could do without some of the goofy Jaws stuff, although I know why it's there (kids love when he drops the rock on his foot).
    echo wrote:
    I think TSWLM is one of the best paced entries. I could do without some of the goofy Jaws stuff, although I know why it's there (kids love when he drops the rock on his foot).

Agreed, TSWLM is very well paced!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    For me, both TSWLM and also FYEO are really well paced. I would also add GE and CR for sure. For older movies, yes FRWL stands out for me as moving along really well. Pacing is important; too slow obviously is boring or unhelpful, but too fast or choppy and too fast is not enjoyable either. Editing is such an important job for a film!
    For me, both TSWLM and also FYEO are really well paced. I would also add GE and CR for sure. For older movies, yes FRWL stands out for me as moving along really well. Pacing is important; too slow obviously is boring or unhelpful, but too fast or choppy and too fast is not enjoyable either. Editing is such an important job for a film!

Agreed, I always look to pacing for enjoyability, which is something I found in Moonraker the other day to boost it in my rankings. It's also one defining reason why OHMSS remains a least favorite of mine.
    GoldenEye has a very enjoyable pace. Big opening, story build, big twist, big stunt (tank chase), story build, big finale. Perfect pacing.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    GoldenEye has a very enjoyable pace. Big opening, story build, big twist, big stunt (tank chase), story build, big finale. Perfect pacing.

Oh yeah, agreed in full!