In time, will SP be more or less appreciated?

Comments

How would anyone know whether "SPECTRE" is going to be more or less appreciated in the future?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2017 Posts: 16,330
    Speculation.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Speculation.

Yes, I don't think that the point of the thread was to test our clairvoyant abilities.

I knew you were going to say that. ;)

• GBFGBF
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,195
    How Spectre will be appreicaited in the future also depends on Bond25. Maybe some of SP problems can be fixed there. I especially think of the role of Blofeld and to a lesser degree Mr. Hinx. So maybe SP will work better as a prequel to a better Bond film than as a standalone adventure.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    For the general public, either they only remember one or two things about each film, or they all blur into one, or they don't care
    SP will still bring in big viewing figures on TV when it arrives,and the normal viewing public will love it,lets not kid ourselves.

Its only hard-core Bond enthusiasts like us that can see beyond the 'Bond film at Xmas,Easter or Holiday film' that the public see and enjoy.
    But im talking about people who arnt movie-goers,who watch Bond on TV...they will see it as an exciting Bond film and wont think of plot holes or weak score etc.

Once DC walks across that screen at the start of SP people wont care how we see SP,they will love it and enjoy it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    There's something very uninspiring about the way the film unfolds. It's just so completely unremarkable in nearly every way for me except for that somewhat unsettling & uneasy atmosphere which it seems to uniquely (for a Bond film) convey throughout.
    They cared when they went to see it at the cinema.
  • GBFGBF
    I don't think we are kidding ourselves. I think the film only appealed to fans. The box office it received hit high early, riding on SF's good will. I don't know one person that was a casual fan or general movie goer who liked it. SF, on the other hand, had sustained appeal and growth through word of mouth. People loved it.

I don't like Spectre but I know quite a lot of people who saw it in the theatre and loved it without being die-hard Bond fans. Especially those who grew up with Brosnan and never really warmed to Craig's different approach told me how happy they are that Craig has finally become the Bond they missed for so many years.

barryt007 wrote: »
    But im talking about people who arnt movie-goers,who watch Bond on TV...they will see it as an exciting Bond film and wont think of plot holes or weak score etc.

Once DC walks across that screen at the start of SP people wont care how we see SP,they will love it and enjoy it.

Do you think we are all too over-analytical?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    talos7 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Speculation.

Yes, I don't think that the point of the thread was to test our clairvoyant abilities.

I knew you were going to say that. ;)

Woe!! I didn't see that one coming.
    Spectre was made more for the fans. Very few people outside of Bond fandom have any knowledge of Spectre or Blofeld. Im suprised they used SP as the title,
    vzok wrote: »

Do you think we are all too over-analytical?

No not at all...real fans can scrutinize as much as they like ...we have the right to do so through proper knowledge of the films/books...
  • I liked it, I don't see why some people are fussy about it. The whole point of the film is to go back to the Classic Bond era, I loved seeing Blofeld return, even if they boiled down his motivations to Daddy issues. The action scenes were great, as was most of the cast. There are glaringly obvious plot holes however. I put it alongside LALD and YOLT for me
    I liked it, I don't see why some people are fussy about it. The whole point of the film is to go back to the Classic Bond era, I loved seeing Blofeld return, even if they boiled down his motivations to Daddy issues. The action scenes were great, as was most of the cast. There are glaringly obvious plot holes however. I put it alongside LALD and YOLT for me

I have around the same level,agreed.

I agree with that.
  • It was definitely my favorite movie of 2015, that isn't saying much for me however seeing as how there wasn't really anything else I was looking forward too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I liked it, I don't see why some people are fussy about it. The whole point of the film is to go back to the Classic Bond era, I loved seeing Blofeld return, even if they boiled down his motivations to Daddy issues. The action scenes were great, as was most of the cast. There are glaringly obvious plot holes however. I put it alongside LALD and YOLT for me

Which makes it an enjoyable Bond!
    chrisisall wrote: »

It does..but lets be honest we love them all ;)

Well most of us do. MR still irks me.
    ;))
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339

;))

The way it started out ,and all the actual spying,was brilliant..such potential,and a lovely score...before it goes tits up in Venice,with the double take pigeon etc, and Jaws enters the scene,along with the star wars situation..shame

Moonraker gets better and better for me each movie. I swear, If GoldenEye wasn't my first Bond film, Moonraker could almost certainly take it's spot for the fun and entertainment factor alone.

;))

The way it started out ,and all the actual spying,was brilliant..such potential,and a lovely score...before it goes tits up in Venice,with the double take pigeon etc, and Jaws enters the scene,along with the star wars situation..shame
    Yes, but the coup de gras was Jaws turning good and the "Here's to us". I *will* watch it again, but many Martinis will be required...
    :))

SP on the other hand is a tremendously enjoyable mixed bag like YOLT.
    I need to put MR in the DVD next time i think...i really enjoyed DAF at #22. the other day but its still not enough to bump TMWTGG off the next peg at #21 .
    MR is #22 but i would be surprised if it knocked DAF off its perch..but who knows.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 16,330
    @chrisisall, Jaws doesn't turn good for long. This is more of the enemy of my enemy is my friend situation. Years later Jaws would fight Bond again! ;)
    ps2007everything39.jpg
    is that Jaws fighting BrosnanBond ?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I don't think we are kidding ourselves. I think the film only appealed to fans. The box office it received hit high early, riding on SF's good will. I don't know one person that was a casual fan or general movie goer who liked it. SF, on the other hand, had sustained appeal and growth through word of mouth. People loved it.
    It's strange. I know plenty of casual fans who loved it.

@barryt007 Indeed it is. That still is from the '04 video game, Everything or Nothing.
    @barryt007 yes. It's from the video game 007 Everything or Nothing. Pierce's second best Bond adventure. :D It's a great game. Don't have time to play it, Watch the movified version. ;)
    God,why didnt i have these games back when i played them !!!!!!!!