What is your favourite/least favourite Pre-Title-Sequence?

145791021

Comments

  • @ Gustav Graves- how can you call a PTS like Moonraker realistic??? The free fall is borderline, no scratch that, unbelievable enough and then Jaws flapping his arms all the way down to a circus tent and surviving once again?

    The only PTS that exceeds that for cheese is GE with Brosnan upside down over a crapper, Trevalyan's fake execution that not one Russian soldier notices is a put on, and then it becomes the worst of all time after the MR stunt is done even more poorly than the first time. How people overlook all this because of one bungee jump and call this garbage great?

    Now then, the truly great ones are-

    1960's- FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS
    1970's- TMWTGG and TSWLM
    1980's- TLD and LTK
    1990's- TWINE
    2000-2012- CR

  • Posts: 1,098
    I think my favourite PTS is parkour chase in CR...............its just great, and so re-watchable.

    Worst, or should i say silly PTS sequences:-

    I agree MR was silly............but for a modern Bond film, GE with PB somehow having all the luck in the world, by managing to glide himself into that tiny open doorway of that plunging plane, whilst in freefall himself.....amazingly ridiculous!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,493
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing Point Break had a similar sequence and I think they did a mythbusters episode about that where they said it would've been possible.

    I can forgive the circus tent shenanigans in the MR PTS because of the brilliant skydiving stunt work. Just like I can forgive the dodgy plane skydiving and the plotholes in the GE PTS because of Bond actually being stealthily for a change, the bungee jump and the action inside and outside the facility when they're eventually found out.
    mepal1 wrote:
    I think my favourite PTS is parkour chase in CR...............its just great, and so re-watchable.

    That wasn't the PTS.
  • Posts: 1,098
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing Point Break had a similar sequence and I think they did a mythbusters episode about that where they said it would've been possible.

    I can forgive the circus tent shenanigans in the MR PTS because of the brilliant skydiving stunt work. Just like I can forgive the dodgy plane skydiving in the GE PTS because of the bungee jump and the action inside and outside the facility.
    mepal1 wrote:
    I think my favourite PTS is parkour chase in CR...............its just great, and so re-watchable.

    That wasn't the PTS.

    Oops.....yes i forgot the fight sequence in the mens washroom, and the Dryden sequence.
    Well that was a very good opening sequence!

  • Posts: 1,817
    Top PTS:
    - OP
    - CR
    - TB
    - SF

    Worst PTS:
    - LALD
    - TMWTGG
  • Falling asleep fast now, but least favorite pre title sequence ?

    I thought of Casino Royale first off, in that it's all over so fast. A brief talk and killing in Prague, then some restroom in Pakistan and a bit of action, and that's about it. If only they had kept the cricket game in for a theater release. Yes it explains how Bond got to be a 00 but it's all over too soon, just kills any enjoyment in that regard

    No matter what is said, the awful nauseating opening to Quantum of Solace. Imagine constant shots of absinthe while watching The Blair Witch Project, it was that bad

    From Russia with Love, some may find, can be a bit dull, and over too quickly, and Live and Let Die, despite a superlative release, the opening in New York, Louisiana, and San Monique, is once again, all very brief and over too soon

    I never liked The Spy Who Loved Me opening much either. Too much hyperbole for merely Bond ski-ing off a mountain and a Union Jack 'chute. Never saw all the furore myself ?
  • Posts: 1,817
    In my view, it is very hard to find a bad PTS as they are an institution of Bond films. There's nothing better than watch that prelude or in some cases short action movies that suddenly leads to a song.
    I remember, long time ago before I have all the movies in my possession, watching all the PTSs in Youtube. That's Bond for me!
  • OHMSS best. Lest favorite: DAD or GE because after each one I yelled out "bullsh-t!" in tge theatre to cause hysterical laughter amongst audience members but I really meant it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    Lest favorite: DAD or GE because after each one I yelled out "bullsh-t!" in tge theatre to cause hysterical laughter amongst audience members but I really meant it.

    What a wag you are. As you say - hysterical. The rest of the audience must really appreciate your 'hilarious' contribution.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I've missed you all.
    Posts: 28,392
    Lest favorite: DAD or GE because after each one I yelled out "bullsh-t!" in tge theatre to cause hysterical laughter amongst audience members but I really meant it.

    What a wag you are. As you say - hysterical. The rest of the audience must really appreciate your 'hilarious' contribution.

    I always 'appreciate' those kinds of people with a one-two punch to the face.
  • Lest favorite: DAD or GE because after each one I yelled out "bullsh-t!" in tge theatre to cause hysterical laughter amongst audience members but I really meant it.

    What a wag you are. As you say - hysterical. The rest of the audience must really appreciate your 'hilarious' contribution.

    I always 'appreciate' those kinds of people with a one-two punch to the face.

    Well, it may help to note that we were kids at the time lol!
  • Posts: 2,341
    You know where I stand: MR has the best. Not my favorite movie but the PTS is kick ass the best. Everyone makes a big deal about TSWLM but I think MR trumps them all.

    Least Favorite? Probably DAF ...
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Posts: 81
    Most favorite: Either GoldenEye or Casino Royale
    Least Favorite: Either The Man With Golden Gun or Tomorrow Never Dies
  • Posts: 13,319
    Favorite: FRWL, GF, TB and CR.

    Least favorite: DAD.

    Not certain if I love or hate the PTS of FYEO.

    PTS better than the movie: YOLT, TMWTGG, DAF.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Favorite: FRWL, GF, TB and CR.

    Least favorite: DAD.

    Not certain if I love or hate the PTS of FYEO.

    PTS better than the movie: YOLT, TMWTGG, DAF.

    The FYEO pts was made to give Kevin M. the finger rather than to really tie up loose ends from OHMSS. JB' humour and the whole chimney drop seemed like a stretch but you gotta give credit for the better aspects of the whole scene like the very beginning and the musical chords. It musta been an exciting time for Bond fans knowing that SC and RM were going head to head though they both dropped the ball with their films lol.
  • Posts: 13,319
    Ludovico wrote:
    Favorite: FRWL, GF, TB and CR.

    Least favorite: DAD.

    Not certain if I love or hate the PTS of FYEO.

    PTS better than the movie: YOLT, TMWTGG, DAF.

    The FYEO pts was made to give Kevin M. the finger rather than to really tie up loose ends from OHMSS. JB' humour and the whole chimney drop seemed like a stretch but you gotta give credit for the better aspects of the whole scene like the very beginning and the musical chords. It musta been an exciting time for Bond fans knowing that SC and RM were going head to head though they both dropped the ball with their films lol.

    What bothered me about the FYEO PTS is that Bond is first grieving his wife... then avenging her joking along the way. I know it was giving the finger to Kevin McClory and in a way it did close loose ends (AT LAST Blofeld dies), but still, I have issues with the inconsistent tone. That said, yes the action scene itself is good and so is Moore as a widower.
  • Posts: 4,731
    Top 5 PTS Ranks:

    1. GoldenEye
    2. The World is not Enough
    3. SkyFall
    4. A View to a Kill
    5. For Your Eyes Only
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Favorite: FRWL, GF, TB and CR.

    Least favorite: DAD.

    Not certain if I love or hate the PTS of FYEO.

    PTS better than the movie: YOLT, TMWTGG, DAF.

    The FYEO pts was made to give Kevin M. the finger rather than to really tie up loose ends from OHMSS. JB' humour and the whole chimney drop seemed like a stretch but you gotta give credit for the better aspects of the whole scene like the very beginning and the musical chords. It musta been an exciting time for Bond fans knowing that SC and RM were going head to head though they both dropped the ball with their films lol.

    What bothered me about the FYEO PTS is that Bond is first grieving his wife... then avenging her joking along the way. I know it was giving the finger to Kevin McClory and in a way it did close loose ends (AT LAST Blofeld dies), but still, I have issues with the inconsistent tone. That said, yes the action scene itself is good and so is Moore as a widower.

    Agreed. The whole humor didn't mesh well for ascene in tgha kind of context.
  • Some of my favs are:

    CR - Obviously a throwback with excellent dialogue/performances
    MR - Great stunt - 'nuff said
    GF - "Shocking. Positively shocking"
    TB - Great fight sequence with Connery
    GE - Nice stunt - good action

    Worst:

    FYEO - Nothing else to be said. Awful.
    AVTAK - Moore looking old - the skiing sequence is very tired
    DAD - Awful shoot 'em up with a ridiculous hovercraft sequence
    TMWTGG - Just plain boring and uninteresting - forgettable
  • Posts: 13,319
    willmatt72 wrote:
    Some of my favs are:

    CR - Obviously a throwback with excellent dialogue/performances
    MR - Great stunt - 'nuff said
    GF - "Shocking. Positively shocking"
    TB - Great fight sequence with Connery
    GE - Nice stunt - good action

    Worst:

    FYEO - Nothing else to be said. Awful.
    AVTAK - Moore looking old - the skiing sequence is very tired
    DAD - Awful shoot 'em up with a ridiculous hovercraft sequence
    TMWTGG - Just plain boring and uninteresting - forgettable

    I thought the PTS of TMWTGG was far superior to the rest of the movie.
  • Casino Royale. I was so impressed by that on my rewatching of the film I played it straight back to myself! :)
  • Favorites
    GoldenEye
    Spy Who Loved Me
    Thunderball

    least favorite
    License to Kill
    TWINE
  • hoppimike wrote:
    Casino Royale. I was so impressed by that on my rewatching of the film I played it straight back to myself! :)

    I can never comprehend peoples thinking on that. If only they had left the Pakistan cricket game in it would of added something, but the pre title sequence is just lame. Bond in Prague, a bit of talk, shoots Dryden, a fight in a restroom, and that's about it. At least we have the excellent Cornell theme thereafter, and of course the film itself is a near masterpiece, but that is one lousy and uneventful PTS I'm afraid

    Moonraker was mentioned, and it's about the #2 or #3 best ever, but The World Is Not Enough is hard to beat
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,731
    I'd rank the pre-title sequences this way:

    22. You Only Live Twice- a snooze fest; nothing exciting here at all- and this is supposed to kick off the rest of the movie? Ha, yeah right (:|
    21. From Russia with Love- once you've seen it already, the mystery is dissolved, leaving nothing behind to enjoy
    20. Live and Let Die- much like YOLT, hardly much of anything happens here; certainly not a slam-bang entrance to an otherwise highly thrilling Bond adventure
    19. Octopussy- even with the Acrostar, I was never overly impressed with this one, for whatever reason; perhaps it's the drab setting or the shenanigans with the guards checking out Bond's female contact :-<

    18. Thunderball- forgive me, but it's never been a favorite of mine; the fight with Bouvar is mediocre, and the jetpack is just foolish- it seems way too convenient and out of place. And at the speed it's going, you would think that Bouvar's thugs could shoot it clean out of the sky!
    17. Casino Royale- like @Baltimore_007 mentioned above, what's all the get-up for this one? It's by no means awful, and can be pretty entertaining, but all Bond does is smash up a bathroom and shoot an unarmed loser. Not exactly grade A spectacle!
    16. Moonraker- Jaws' stupid bird flap and the whole circus ending boot this one out of the higher numbers, but the tussle on the airplane between Bond and the pilot, along with their mid-air struggle, place it in a respectable middle position
    15. Quantum of Solace - it would be nice if we could tell what was actually going on! However shakey the camera may be, the real payoff is Craig's line right before the main titles: "It's time to get out" :-j
    14. License to Kill- however dull this one may seem, the simplicity of it has a certain charm to it
    13. The Living Daylights- I'm not sure why this one is so highly ranked for most people, but then again, the Jeep fight between Bond and the 00 Imposter is always entertaining!
    12. On Her Majesty's Secret Service- the funky editing keeps me from ranking it any higher, but it's still an impressive throwdown, nonetheless
    11. The Spy Who Loved Me- the simplicity of this one and its relevance to the movie later on place this one in the higher numbers; I've never been "wowed" by the parachute stunt, for whatever reason, although I suppose that's what keeps me from placing it in the Top Ten, since I have a "what's the big deal?" mentality about it
    10. Diamonds Are Forever- one of the worst "fights" in Bond history- Blofeld's double and his men practically let Bond take them down willingly, and then there's the whole "Cai-cai-Cairo!" thing going on #-o And yet, somehow I can't refuse my enjoyment with this one. Not quite sure why!
    9. Tomorrow Never Dies- the airplane dogfight is a bit weak, what with all of Brosnan's strange choking faces, but I love the gunfight on the airfield!
    8. For Your Eyes Only- call me crazy, but there's something thrilling about Bond escaping Blofeld's helicopter trap, and when paired with Conti's foot-tapping music, how can you resist? I usually like to consider this another Blofeld double though, because honestly, he can't go out in such a goofy way.
    7. The Man with the Golden Gun - even though it doesn't involve Bond, I've always enjoyed watching the duel between Scaramanga and the Rodney thug from DAF; I like how it comes back around at the end of the movie in nearly the exact same fashion between Bond and Scaramanga- nice touch of directing there from Hamilton
    6. Goldfinger- although the rest of the movie is a trip to get through, the PTS is awesome; everything is in place here- the stealthy infiltration, the white tuxedo, fancy club, explosions, and an "electrifying" skirmish with an assassin
    5. Die Another Day- even those of you who hate DAD with a vengeful passion have to admit that its PTS is worth watching, even if you're not so sure about the rest of the movie
    4. A View to a Kill- say what you will about "California Girls", but this PTS is actually pretty great, to tell you the truth
    3. The World is not Enough- as if a bank escape was not enough (no pun intended), we're treated to a nifty boat chase as a bonus!
    2. SkyFall- if not for my love for GE, this would take the number one position, because wow, what a way to catch the audience right from the get-go!
    1. GoldenEye- doesn't get much better than this!
  • Posts: 2,239
    I need to give kudos to TWINE's PTS because I wouldn't be a Bond fan without it. I had already played the GE game and now had the TWINE game on PS1 with the little intro of clips from the film, including the briefcase escape. Right away I said to my dad "GET ME THIS MOVIE" and there we go, TWINE was my first ever Bond film. And the PTS didn't disappoint. I was hooked from the moment that gunbarrel opened to Bond walking across the street in Bilbao.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,948
    GF and FYEO. Honourable mentions to MR, CR and SF.
  • Posts: 10,670
    Gonna go for it and rank all 22 (no DN of course...)!:

    22. A View to a Kill - Hate me all you want, but I've never cared much for this one. It just seems really generic and meh to me; the skiing has been done many times by now, and it just came off as my least favorite skiing scene in the series. Just not memorable or very enjoyable for me.
    21. Tomorrow Never Dies - Another placing that might garner me hate, but I just didn't like it as much as everyone else. I mean I like all the PTS's from here on out, but TND's PTS is the most overrated in the series. Cool, awesome action scene; I have no idea why, but it just feels so plain to me. It was well-done, but just didn't excite me the way the PTS's usually do. Weird, I know...
    20. You Only Live Twice - My least favorite of the golden age Bond PTS's. It was kind of interesting, but certainly didn't stand out as one of the best of the series. I like it for being different though; the bed scene was just... different...
    19. Octopussy - I used to like it more, but it's just a bit silly and another reason to dislike the Moore era (for its silliness). However, I do like the line "Fill 'er up, please", and the overall action of it. Decent, but could have been better.
    18. From Russia with Love - Kind of slow and odd, but a solid introduction for Red Grant, and I was slightly surprised at the twist of the dude not being Bond. Good scene overall, not one of the best or worst IMO.
    17. The Man with the Golden Gun - No Bond in a PTS is usually not preferable for me, but this one's alright. A good first peek at Christopher Lee's Scaramanga, the best part of TMWTGG. Suspenseful, interesting sequence for an interesting Bond film.
    16. Diamonds Are Forever - A bit silly between the mousetraps and bad "Cairo" lip-syncing, but still one of the best scenes from DAF. I liked the "Welcome to hell, Blofeld" line and cat meowing at the end. Not a bad scene, but unfortunately the film does mostly downhill after.
    15. Live and Let Die - Silly and weird beyond all reason, but a perfect introduction to LALD and the Moore era in general. No Bond like TMWTGG, and again just a very interesting scene. Great way to kick off the weirdest Bond film.
    14. Moonraker - Another Moore PTS knocked out. This one's pretty good though; it was nice to see Jaws back (for the time being...), and the flying just came off as pretty cool to me. Circus thing was random and cheesy though...
    13. The Living Daylights - A pretty good introduction for Dalton's Bond. Action-packed and unique all the way. I don't have much to say about it other than I found it pretty cool and one of TLD's best moments.
    12. Thunderball - Awesome Connery PTS; it's classic how Connery doesn't bat an eye at Colonal Bouvar in drag, and just goes through with a great fight scene against him. Jet pack was silly, granted, but still fun. Classic scene overall for me.
    11. Die Another Day - Overall, I would say Brosnan and Craig got the best PTS's. DAD is far from the best Bond film, but the PTS is the best scene! The epic chase scene and the non-victorious ending... very cool stuff.
    10. Licence to Kill - Brutal, intense, and action-packed. Trumps TLD's IMO for its intensity and drama. Also introduces one of the series' best villains really well.
    9. Quantum of Solace - Not the best-edited scene, but just so cool! I just love the action and mystery behind the frantic car chase; I've always loved it. "It's time to get out" was the delicious icing on the cake.
    8. The World is Not Enough - Great way to kick off an underrated Bond film. Maybe a bit on the long side, but still plenty entertaining throughout.
    7. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Very mysterious and cool; most interesting introduction to any Bond actor. Lazenby's "Bond, James Bond" and "This Never Happened to the Other Fellow" lines are perfect IMO. The fight was neat too, as was Tracy's introduction. The film gets even better from here, but still a great start.
    6. Skyfall - I used to prefer QoS's PTS, but I'll go with SF over it. From the motorcycle chase to the train fight, the excitement never lets up here. Just a lot of fun and Bond getting 'killed'; classic, action-packed Bond scene.
    5. The Spy Who Loved Me - Another series highlight of a Bond PTS. My second-favorite ski scene (behind OHMSS's), and a great way to eventually connect to the plot twist of Ana's lover. Well-done and awesome the whole way - classic Bond.
    4. For Your Eyes Only - I know many hate this scene, but I absolutely adore it. Blofeld deserves nothing more than to be dropped down a chimney to his death! Seeing Tracy's grave was ominous and brooding, setting up the encounter with Blofeld well. Blofeld says a few silly things, as we all know, but I don't mind. He's deranged anyway, and he's likely just gone insane by now. All-important loose end tied up!
    3. Goldfinger - If there's one scene I would use to represent the golden age of James Bond, or James Bond in general, it would be the PTS of GF. Connery breaks into a lair, bombs it, acts cool, makes out with a girl, and takes out some henchman. It's like a Bond film in a couple minutes. So cool and just one of many great scenes in the quintessential Bond film!
    2. GoldenEye - Who could ask for a better introduction for Brosnan's Bond? Action-packed and thrilling from the jump stunt to Bond flying away in the plane. The action was just so awesome, and Alec also got a great introduction. Not much else to say; just a pure, awesome Bond scene.
    1. Casino Royale - Woohoo, @Birdleson, we have the same Top 3! Anyways... A simplistic beauty of a PTS; honestly I wouldn't want my favorite Bond film to start any differently. The black-and-white is obviously the first thing to notice, and it fits the mood perfectly somehow. Craig's edgy Bond is introduced perfectly between the intense bathroom fight flashback with Fisher and his ice-cool interaction with Dryden, as well as shooting said victims. A wonderful scene, one of my favorites in the Bond series.
  • Posts: 1,592
    FYEO is my least favorite.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,948
    Least favourite would be either TMWTGG, AVTAK or DAD.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 19,339
    BEST (Bond has to be in it.)

    CONNERY : DAF
    MOORE : TSWLM
    DALTON : TLD
    BROSNAN : TWINE
    CRAIG: QOS

    WORST
    (Bond has to be in it.)

    CONNERY : YOLT
    MOORE : AVTAK
    DALTON : LTK
    BROSNAN : DAD
    CRAIG :SF


Sign In or Register to comment.