No more lasers in bond films?

edited October 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,575
I think that lasers like in goldeneye(his watch) and die another day should not be in future bond films because they seem ridiculous.
I didn't like the laser in TLD (the aston) and the camera in LTK either.
Any thoughts on this subject?

Comments

Lasers aren't exactly the stuff of science fiction the way they were in GF. So I see no reason why they shouldn't be used.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I didn't mind a bit of laser use like in the movies you've mentioned, 001, the one that jumps to mind as terrible is the laser use in DAD, just plain ridiculous. This isn't Star Wars.
  • Watch lasers etc are fine, but when you have giant earth orbiting laser satellite arrays, you know you have problems...
  • Don't forget goofy Star Wars laser battles in space. After nearly 50 years and 22 movies, things like lasers and train battles are going to be revisited.
    Don't forget goofy Star Wars laser battles in space. After nearly 50 years and 22 movies, things like lasers and train battles are going to be revisited.
    I never had a problem with the train battles. Each and every one always has a new surprise, like Bond's briefcase move on Red Grant, Tee Hee hiding in the sack, Jaws hiding in the closet, and Bond jumping from end to end trying to elude Kamal's henchmen. Anyway, as for the lasers, I think they're okay as long as they don't become outlandish and unrealistic, like Moonraker. Using them for gadgets is fine, and to some extent, a villain's weapon, just as long as it won't become a future parody years down the road.
    Lasers aren't exactly the stuff of science fiction the way they were in GF. So I see no reason why they shouldn't be used.
    I agree. Lasers were new and mostly unheard of in 1964 but forty plus years later they're everywhere.
    No more super laser satellites to blow up thing on planet Earth. (DAF, DAD, etc)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    speaking of super lasers... i found this article interesting.....

it's #5....

http://www.cracked.com/article_16477_5-famous-sci-fi-weapons-that-theyre-actually-building.html
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Watch lasers etc are fine, but when you have giant earth orbiting laser satellite arrays, you know you have problems...
    To be honest, I think a satellite in space, with a giant laser attached to it, is more believable than a watch that has a laser in it. I'm not sure if we're close to having powerful lasers that can fit in the palm of your hand yet.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Moved from News to Bond Movies
  • Sorry i thought the thread title said no more lezzers in bond films - that would be a shame.

I think in the past the laser thing in Bond has been a bit naff as you say. Ironically the most believable one was in Goldfinger. It didn't shoot any missiles down or space rockets or cut open 10 inch iron doors in the thirty seconds etc in GE.

However, we haven't seen them used in the real world Bond of DC's era - somehow I doubt it.

• edited October 2011 Posts: 2,341
    Sorry i thought the thread title said no more lezzers in bond films - that would be a shame.

I think in the past the laser thing in Bond has been a bit naff as you say. Ironically the most believable one was in Goldfinger. It didn't shoot any missiles down or space rockets or cut open 10 inch iron doors in the thirty seconds etc in GE.

However, we haven't seen them used in the real world Bond of DC's era - somehow I doubt it.

I have to agree. The producers got so obscessed with lasers after GF they just ran it into the ground. Rode the dead horse and finally beat him to death.

• I was thinking of Moonraker type nonsense first off, and then realized it was only as recent as 2002 that other variations were used in Bond movies, said so above it's good enough if things are kept to a minimum, i.e. 007 has a watch laser a la Goldeneye but nothing too extravagant
    I can't imagine Daniel craig using a watch laser ,can anyone?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I can't imagine Craig with a watch laser, but I can imagine him laser-ing off that damn beard!
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 1,856
    I can't imagine Craig with a watch laser, but I can imagine him laser-ing off that damn beard!
    Seconded

DC = phone tech + hidden tools and weapons

like a lock pick set in the belt buckle, knife in handle of briefcase or hand chainsaw in the belt....still like my instant gillie suit idea.
    The laser watch is still a favorite of mine, and a classic! I don't see any reason why DC couldn't use it, I mean, it is pretty practical. It's not something bulky and outdated that wouldn't be efficient.
    I agree. The laser watch is pretty cool, but if they don't use it in Craig's films that's fine with me.
    The watch laser is legendary, but I feel it's too soon- you know, what with DAD and all. I really love the watch gadgets. It's the fact that you can fit any tech into the one form that really does it for the fans. Yes, I can see Craig with a watch gadget- but a laser? Gee, we've already had NSNA, GE and DAD- I think a little originality wouldn't go astray.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I liked the watch laser, and, though I detested the film, I liked DAD's Icarus laser, but Daniel Craig and lasers are not good bedfellows (Daniel Craig and Eva Green, are).
    I can see lasers being in future Bond films, and perhaps it would be more modern to use a blue laser. Aren't they supposed to be more accurate?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I was unaware that the color of the laser determined its accuracy. I always thought that was decided by the one who shouted "I'm firin mah lazer!".
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I can see lasers being in future Bond films, and perhaps it would be more modern to use a blue laser. Aren't they supposed to be more accurate?
    For reading the reflected data from discs, yes. But I doubt a highpowered laser meant to burn through things needs any more accuracy then just beeing a beam.

But using a laser in the way they actually are (invisible) would be interesting, and far more belieable then an invisible Aston. Other then that, I'd say, please, no. We haven't forgotten DAD ' I'll use the laser' just yet.

Yes, that entire scene really embodied the problems with DIE ANOTHER DAY. Why on earth would you put a diamond-cutting laser in a place where there are no diamonds? It's a bit like having a key for a door with no lock.
    The laser doesn't have to burn anything. Maybe it can be used to send information.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The laser doesn't have to burn anything. Maybe it can be used to send information.
    You mean, like through a fibre glass cable? All the lasers previously mentioned were used as weapons (thus burning through things). Those used for communications wouldn't really be that interesting to mention in a Bond film I guess.

• We need George Lazer-by back for the next Bond

:-S
    We need George Lazer-by back for the next Bond

:-S
    Badom ding

I would like to see bond use a shovel....
    Forget that! I wan't to see him use a rubber chicken! ;-)