Would you like to see John Powell take over the soundtrack for Bond movies ?

in Music Posts: 2,491
I watched Pan today and I have to say that I really liked it's soundtrack. Usually when I notice a good OST in a movie I say to myself "this is definitelly Hans Zimmer (another person I'd like to see for Bond in future). And 99% of the time it actually is. This time I sat home ready to listen to the full OST by Zimmer....and I found out that John Powell did the soundtrack for the movie.

I really like the part at 2:50 here some parts of the track sorta remind me of that Bazaar theme from Skyfall.

John Powell did the OST for Bourne identity so he knows how to make good sountracks for action movies. What are your thoughts on him ?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    If he did it like in the style of the score he composed for Paycheck then I'd have no problem with it. Great score, big and brassy and elegant.

I'd be worried the Bourne stuff would creep in though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    His Bourne score is a superb reworking and modernization of motifs first heard in the classic North By Northwest score by Bernard Hermann, a story about a similar concept (a man on the run with a lost/mistaken identity).

I thought the Bourne OST was superb, for Bourne.

However, I'm not feeling that Pan post above. There are shades of the Bourne sound in that, which suggests to me that his action scoring approach may be limited.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,491
    bondjames wrote: »

However, I'm not feeling that Pan post above. There are shades of the Bourne sound in that, which suggests to me that his action scoring approach may be limited.

tbh I would have no problem if he does a Bond OST in the style of his Bourne OST
    If he did it like in the style of the score he composed for Paycheck then I'd have no problem with it. Great score, big and brassy and elegant.

I'd be worried the Bourne stuff would creep in though.

Ha, Actually I caught Paycheck on TV few weeks ago but I didn't really notice the soundtrack..I'll give it a listen if it's available on youtube. I did like the movie, so that's another + in my book for Powell
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,026

This one in particular is good!
    I just love this one from Bourne Supremacy. Starts off slow and then builds beautifully as Bourne runs on that beach in Goa:

bondjames wrote: »
    I just love this one from Bourne Supremacy. Starts off slow and then builds beautifully as Bourne runs on that beach in Goa:

Great score. "To The Roof" is a powerhouse of a cue.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed, "To The Roof" is great.

Two other favourites of mine:
    Bourne At Land (suspenseful and moody smooth):

Treadstone Assassins (intense):

Hearing this stuff again makes me want to watch the entire trilogy soon. It's been a while. Benchmark franchise.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I can't really get into Bourne. Partly because of camera work and the anti-American sentiment.

And because all the sequels are pretty much just the same film.

In this one Bourne is chased by the government. Really? (:|
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I can't really get into Bourne. Partly because of camera work and the anti-American sentiment.
    Anti-clandestine black-bag BS is NOT the same as Anti-American, unless you believe that our government, right or wrong is always right no matter what.
    IMO, the first film was pretty good. The others suffered from sameness as you say.