[POSSIBLE SPOILERS] If you had to rename SPECTRE...

13»

Comments

• Monty Python's galaxy song comes to mind... :))

:P
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Down the Smokestack
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Messenger of Death (inspired by Bond in the skeletal suit in the PTS)

What Little Remains

The Past Is Present

Remember to Forget

Sight is its Own Deceit

To Live & Die a Spy

A Specter at Your Shoulder
  • The Dead Are Alive – Obvious reasons. However, isn’t “Spectre” just another way of saying that anyway?

A Whisper of Hate
    – It’s from Fleming’s CR novel and SP is meant to round of some of the thematic material from Craig’s first film. Also, it sorta ties into Blofeld’s obsession for revenge.

The Organisation – a more evocative reference to Spectre.

The Life of a Spy
    or The Regrets of a Spy – A big theme of the film is the life of a spy/”assassin”.

The Assassin – That word is repeated a lot in the film

The Secret Agent – Joseph Conrad may have got there first, but it’s the name of the first chapter in CR. It make a great title.

Silhouette
    – A rumoured title and one I like. It’s simple and evocative. It would have worked for either SF or SP which constantly talk of Bond belonging to “the shadows”.

The Death Collector – The only title we know that was also considered.

Death Leaves An Echo – Fleming again. But it’s a bit awkward and truncated.

Blofeld – Because he’s back
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Not awkward at all. In fact, that's the only relevant title of the bunch that sounds creative and poetic enough. The echo of death is Blofeld's who faked his demise but maintained his shadowy status and spread the echo of his evil schemes without anyone on the surface knowing.

That is, of course, if we had to leave the plot as it is.
    Nobody Lives Forever
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I like "Nobody Lives Forever" as a Bond title but I'm not sure how that would be fitting for SPECTRE.
    I would alter "Death Leaves An Echo" to " An Echo Left Behind." I'm still tried of the word kill/death being used in Bond titles.
    Although I don't mind when the word live/lives is used. If the title "One Life to Live" wasn't being used for a soap opera, I'd say it would be great for a Bond title.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Seat of his Soul
    Dia de Los Muertos( Or should be Dia de Muertos)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Dead Are Alive
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Author and Finisher.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    A Spy With a Licensed Gun
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Thunderfinger
    License Not To Kill

Gettler wrote: »
    License Not To Kill
    lol
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Not awkward at all. In fact, that's the only relevant title of the bunch that sounds creative and poetic enough. The echo of death is Blofeld's who faked his demise but maintained his shadowy status and spread the echo of his evil schemes without anyone on the surface knowing.

That is, of course, if we had to leave the plot as it is.

Yes, that is the one that leaped out for me as well.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 676
    I would have liked The Dead Are Alive (to me it sounds like a play on "dead or alive," sort of like "live and let die" is a play on "live and let live"). One has to wonder if this was Mendes' title preference, considering the phrase randomly pops up on screen right before the film starts.

Spectre, on the other hand, is rather artless and seems like it was chosen by a marketing team. I would like the title better if it wasn't just a proper noun from the world of Bond... You might as well name the film MI6 or James Bond or Licence to Kill (oh wait they already did that one and yeah it's a bad title). Spectre also suffers from being one of only two Bond film titles (along with Skyfall) that is two syllables long, which makes it feel slight and inconsequential IMO.

If they wanted the title to reference SPECTRE (or the non-acronym Spectre, as the 2015 film would have it), I would have preferred Spectreville. Perhaps Blofeld could have nicknamed his crater compound "Spectreville."
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Spectre is a decent title. I'm happy with it.