SPECTRE - Your reviews. NO SPOILERS.

1356734

Comments

  • Posts: 14,816
    No spoiler? Okay. I loved it. It has a few flaws, a few things glossed over too quickly, which I blame it on Logan. There it is, my spoiler free review.
  • Posts: 1,068
    Remember this is a spoiler free thread @fanbond123
  • Posts: 1,661
    Many reviews are mentioning it's like a Roger Moore Bond film! If that is correct, that's kinda surprising given the tone of Craig's previous three films. I doubt anyone would have predicted that!
  • Posts: 250
    Ludovico wrote: »
    which I blame it on Logan.

    Why him in particular when P&W and Butterworth had their hands on it more recently?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Remember this is a spoiler free thread

    Whoops, sorry, forgot. My bad.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,687
    Sounds like we in the Colonies are in for a good time!
  • Posts: 1,068
    No probs but stick your answer in spoiler tags - after all, that's the rule of engagement on the thread title
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,164
    It’s fun. Very very fun. Craig’s amazing in this, Seydoux is great if a bit too underwritten and too polarizing characterisation (thanks script rewrites), too little Monica which is a bit expected tbh, Whishaw and Fiennes are MVPs, Waltz is great. So many laughs and cheers in the audience. This is definitely the 21st century version of classic Bond. First 15 minutes, from the first frame of the MGM logo, are absolutely fantastic. Thing is, it feels like it should’ve been even longer, like 160 minutes even, between the end of the Mexico sequence and Austria it feels really cut down for time, not to mention that it’s played far too straight and breezy sterile (thanks again script rewrites) with exception of a couple of fantastic scenes such as the Rome meeting But pacing improves as we go along, and actually the film gets stronger as it goes on, surprisingly the third act is very strong IMO. Dat cinematography (give Hoyte an Oscar finally please), and the song (which Newman actually does his own arrangement of in a later scene) actually works with the amazing titles from Kleinman.

    Overall, very fun and enjoyable but not perfect and not Skyfall. It feels a bit too sterile for the sort of thing this really goes for, it should’ve embraced and been more operatic in both the emotional and the fun sense in some bits, if you see what I mean. Closer to TDKR in that sense - after all, this is indeed TDKR - if you make CR/QoS Begins and SF TDK.

    Other points:
    - First minute will make any Bond fan squee
    - title sequence is mother of all couch gags
    - dat opening tracking shot
    - Epic cheers at end of train fight (you’ll see why)
    - a certain line from Fiennes got the biggest laugh and cheers
    - JAMES BOND WILL RETURN at the end of credits.

    8/10

    Trailers: The Hateful Eight teaser (no reaction), Dad’s Army teaser (no reaction), Mockingjay Part 2 theatrical (some murmurs of “this is the last Hunger Games”), Star Wars TFA final (cheers and applause at opening shot followed by nearly stunned silence)
  • Posts: 4,622
    @antovolk Good review! Are you going to post something in the leaks thread, discussing revisions from the Dec script?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    andmcit wrote: »
    You will absolutely love the start. A proper Bond beginning. This reviewing without spoilers is a pita!!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Madeline telling Bond she loves him during the torture scenes
    .

    It's better...much better than SF for me but it doesn't top CR.

    CR
    SP
    SF
    QoS

    DC was under a bit of duress - what else could she do?

    I don't know, emote some how with her facial expressions or something, I dinky know but that line...it's not a deal breaker but it did maje me groan.
  • Posts: 4,622
    @antovolk disregard. Just found your leaks review.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    doubleoego wrote: »
    andmcit wrote: »
    You will absolutely love the start. A proper Bond beginning. This reviewing without spoilers is a pita!!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Madeline telling Bond she loves him during the torture scenes
    .

    It's better...much better than SF for me but it doesn't top CR.

    CR
    SP
    SF
    QoS

    DC was under a bit of duress - what else could she do?

    I don't know, emote some how with her facial expressions or something, I dinky know but that line...it's not a deal breaker but it did maje me groan.

    Dinky? stop driving ..and text lol. JUST KIDDING.
  • I thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed it far more than skyfall myself. I just find the whole tone and everything much more appealing than skyfall. Casino and spectre are my top two craig bond films now.
  • I don't understand all the praise for skyfall. There's so many faults I can find in that film, and I didn't think it was that enjoyable, rather dull in places. Yet, spectre seemed far more enjoyable, classic, and thrilling
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    I don't understand all the praise for skyfall. There's so many faults I can find in that film, and I didn't think it was that enjoyable, rather dull in places. Yet, spectre seemed far more enjoyable, classic, and thrilling

    I'm glad ...I'll see it when it hits state side.

  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,068
    I thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed it far more than skyfall myself. I just find the whole tone and everything much more appealing than skyfall. Casino and spectre are my top two craig bond films now.

    Amen to that. I left the screening of SF feeling totally flat and disappointed and SP on a high - isn't this what films are supposed to do?


    The ONLY criticism I can really feel fair is the score which was inoffensive and bland. For me personally with all caveats about subjectivity accepted, had the genius of Barry been involved as hinted in the trailers SP would elevate beyond reproach and surpass CR. The first teaser had a brooding menace too which was conspicuously absent with the same scenes in the film. Give the score duties to those responsible for the prelims!! They did a better job.

    I can go on record though as liking WotW where I really feared I wouldn't! Life can be crazy sometimes
  • Posts: 486
    I didn't come out of the cinema deflated by Skyfall but I sure as hell found it overrated. Let the critics love SF, SP can be for us lot. There is so much to appreciate from this film and just 12 hrs before I see it again!
  • antovolk wrote: »
    It’s fun. Very very fun. Craig’s amazing in this, Seydoux is great if a bit too underwritten and too polarizing characterisation (thanks script rewrites), too little Monica which is a bit expected tbh, Whishaw and Fiennes are MVPs, Waltz is great. So many laughs and cheers in the audience. This is definitely the 21st century version of classic Bond. First 15 minutes, from the first frame of the MGM logo, are absolutely fantastic. Thing is, it feels like it should’ve been even longer, like 160 minutes even, between the end of the Mexico sequence and Austria it feels really cut down for time, not to mention that it’s played far too straight and breezy sterile (thanks again script rewrites) with exception of a couple of fantastic scenes such as the Rome meeting But pacing improves as we go along, and actually the film gets stronger as it goes on, surprisingly the third act is very strong IMO. Dat cinematography (give Hoyte an Oscar finally please), and the song (which Newman actually does his own arrangement of in a later scene) actually works with the amazing titles from Kleinman.

    Overall, very fun and enjoyable but not perfect and not Skyfall. It feels a bit too sterile for the sort of thing this really goes for, it should’ve embraced and been more operatic in both the emotional and the fun sense in some bits, if you see what I mean. Closer to TDKR in that sense - after all, this is indeed TDKR - if you make CR/QoS Begins and SF TDK.

    Other points:
    - First minute will make any Bond fan squee
    - title sequence is mother of all cough gags
    - dat opening tracking shot
    - Epic cheers at end of train fight (you’ll see why)
    - a certain line from Fiennes got the biggest laugh and cheers
    - JAMES BOND WILL RETURN at the end of credits.

    8/10

    Trailers: The Hateful Eight teaser (no reaction), Dad’s Army teaser (no reaction), Mockingjay Part 2 theatrical (some murmurs of “this is the last Hunger Games”), Star Wars TFA final (cheers and applause at opening shot followed by nearly stunned silence)

    "title sequence is mother of all cough gags"?
    Could you explain without spoilers? I don't quite understand the idiom. I'm from America, sorry :P
  • Posts: 1,068
    I don't get it either - there's writhing bodies and spectre serpents but done in such a way you could still watch them with your granny
  • Posts: 3,164
    That was meant to say "couch gags" not cough gags - there were a couple of yet to be seen moments from the film that were in the title sequence
  • Goodbye Brits. Going to ground til it arrives stateside. Feeling pretty hopeful.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    antovolk wrote: »
    That was meant to say "couch gags" not cough gags - there were a couple of yet to be seen moments from the film that were in the title sequence

    Ok couch gags? Cough gags produced somewhat different images. umm ....never mind lol.

  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Posts: 1,329
    Just got home from first viewing.
    Wow! Enjoyed it much more than skyfall and I bloody loved that.
    Craig is a sensation in the roll.
    Fiennes whisaw Kinnear great.
    Loved Harris this time round she was top draw after wooden performance in skyfall.
    Loved the locales.
    Absolutely adored seydoux in her role I think I might have a new favourite bond girl.
    Favourite part involved the train absolutely brilliant.
    Only downside for me was waltz. Only in comparison to bardem who I think is the better villain but still enjoyed oberhauser.
    Still on cloud nine after alot to take in! So much to remember!
    I don't think many bond fans will be disappointed.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Tremendous.
  • Posts: 2,598
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Daniel Craig adds a little 'Moore' to his 4th outing as James Bond, with Mendes creating some of the most stunning cinematography ever featured in the series. The plot is both traditional and unconventional in equal measures, yet the film lacks the darker dramatic edge and enigmatic suaveness of Casino Royale. A little more Fleming required. 8/10.

    Yes, this will hinder my enjoyment of the film a bit. Sounds like there will be too much comedy too for a Craig Bond film but everything else sounds good.
  • Posts: 150
    Loved it. One of the series' best and for me, second -potentially equally-favorite to CR. Craig is going nowhere!!!
  • Posts: 8
    Everything a Bond film should be, and more....
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    Are you saying it's " Bond and Beyond !" :))
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,131
    It is 'Moore' like that yes. You will Iove the titles and the GB. Plus Craig CAN do the humour....but I prefer the Fleming grit of CR.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    I agree so far nothing beats CR, the humour works ( I laughed out loud a few
    times) but in my opinion SP is the best since CR.
Sign In or Register to comment.