John Gardner's Scorpius.

edited August 2011 in Literary 007 Posts: 9
Just read it and while I'm sure we could all pick faults, most notably the fact that it's very M-centric, please for the love of god [no pun intended] EON should look at updating the novel, replace The Meek Ones with some sort of jihadist group, maybe even a Quantum cell. It is, without shadow of a doubt the most cinematic of all of the Bond novels I've read and that includes Thunderball, with its celluloid roots.

Without spoilers, if you haven't read it, you should. It so easily translates to today's climate of terror.

Comments

EON have nothing to do with the continuation novels. That's IFP's domain.

Nor will they adapt a continuation novel to the silver screen. They've never done it before, and so they have no reason to start doing it now.
    It's a great book and i love Gardner's work .
    The only one i didn't get on with was 'brokenclaw'.
    It would be easy enough to come up with an idea similar to SCORPIUS, but without actually being an adaptation of the novel, thus sparing EON the need to spend money acquiring the rights. For example, the villains attempting to start up Charles Manson's "Helter Skelter" scenario.
  • Scorpius is one of Gardner's best Bond novels. I really enjoy this book. It ranks up there with License Renewed, For Special Services and Nobody Lives Forever.
    They never adapted a continuation novel on the big screen, true, but they certainly used parts and bits of them in the movies. AVTAK and TLD, anyone?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,804
    Yes, this is a good one indeed - very presient since 2001 or so with the way global terrorism and Islamic extremism has gone...
  • Just finished icebreaker and did not mind it at all, very 80's in parts and though it reads seemlessly as a Bond at times, others you feel it a bit forced. But great overall, got the whole set so onto licence renewed at the moment.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified

Nor will they adapt a continuation novel to the silver screen. They've never done it before, and so they have no reason to start doing it now.

Who are IFP? Have EON ever commented on this?

007InVT wrote:

IFP are Ian Fleming Publications, formerly called Glidrose. They're the literary copyright holders of the James Bond novels and their Continuations. Hope this helps.

Just read it and while I'm sure we could all pick faults, most notably the fact that it's very M-centric, please for the love of god [no pun intended] EON should look at updating the novel, replace The Meek Ones with some sort of jihadist group, maybe even a Quantum cell. It is, without shadow of a doubt the most cinematic of all of the Bond novels I've read and that includes Thunderball, with its celluloid roots.

Without spoilers, if you haven't read it, you should. It so easily translates to today's climate of terror.

I intend to write the untold story behind Scorpius on my blog later in the year! I have some great inside information on this one. I'll not say anymore for now.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 893
    Dragonpol wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

IFP are Ian Fleming Publications, formerly called Glidrose. They're the literary copyright holders of the James Bond novels and their Continuations. Hope this helps.

Thanks - I do hope one day they will do some film versions. Why not right?
    007InVT wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

Thanks - I do hope one day they will do some film versions. Why not right?

My pleasure. I'm hoping too, though I can't really ever see it ever happening, sadly.
    I'm going to order a used copy of Scorpius, seems like one of the good ones.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,804
    007InVT wrote:
    I'm going to order a used copy of Scorpius, seems like one of the good ones.

It certainly is all that. I'm a big fan of this Gardner Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I enjoyed Scorpius a lot. The death of Scorpius himself is one of the most satisfying villain deaths.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm in. I'll order one very soon.