Most important traits in a Bond actor

SzonanaSzonana Mexico
edited October 2015 in Actors Posts: 1,130
When i was rating and ranking the actors by category something stuck with me and that was the importance each one of us give to cretain categories or traits so which are the 5 most important for you and based on this importance how would you rank the actors

For me the top 5 say :

1 Suaveness/ style
2 Sex appeall
3 looks
4 Charm
5 Humor
6 Sophistication

and from 6-10 in importance

Belivability
Action
Phyisicality
Fleming
Ruthless Killer

So based on this which is basically my regular ranking scale. here is my preference of the 6 actors.

1 Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery :both excel in the first pack categories and do fine in the second.
2 Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig both excel in the second pack and do fine in the first pack
3 Roger Moore he excels in Humor, charm and Suavness, he is ok in looks and sophistication Bit i think he fails in the second package.
4 George Lazenby he excels in looks, charm and Humor but fails in suavness and from the second pack he was fine in physicality and give him an extra point for drama but in all the other categories he was just mehh

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,518
    Is this for rating the current Bond actors, or how you'd judge Bond actors in contention to take the role in the future?

If it's the latter, I'm very glad "Britishness" is nowhere on your list ;) ;) ;)

EDIT: Holy page break, Batman!
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Well when i made i thought of the first but now that you tell me this rating is also for the furure
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,518
    1 Suaveness/ style Extremely important. All of the Bonds essentially have this, maybe least of all Lazenby or Dalton (the hair).
    2 looks Likewise extremely important. A key characteristic of Bond is his visual sexual appeal. All the actors really have this.
    3 Charm A lot of the charm is in the writing, of course, but the delivery is hugely important. Connery/Moore had this in spades.
    4 Humor Same as above. Moore was able to harness this side of Bond the best.
    5 Sophistication I don't know if this is as important at the preceding. James Bond has a sophisticated front due to his education/nature of his work but I'm not sure it's really hugely present at his core. Dalton I guess was most sophisticated, but Connery, due I think to his own experiences, had the correct amount of sophistication.
    6 Belivability Daniel Craig, Sean Connery. Of course believability is hugely important.
    7 Action Again I think this is less important. Action tends to happen around James Bond. His parkouring in the Craig trilogy is a bit of a departure. James Bond is a gentleman spy who succeeds through wit, tradecraft, intelligence, observationalism, sexual appeal, will, resourcefullness. He takes action, of course, when necessary, but it's not the most important pillar of Bond.
    8 Phyisicality Very important, but it's also important to know that Bond isn't a gym rat; a six-pack, I think, is over the top for Bond. Connery's physique is straight on, IMO.
    9 Fleming Of course, this is the through-line for all Bonds. If they lack the traits bestowed on the character by Fleming, do they cease to be Bond? Yes, but it's not that simple I think. Fleming requested film Bond remain contemporary while maintaining the characteristics that make Bond Bond (see "Action" for a quick and dirty outline). His relationships with women are complex, and I feel this is true in the novels as well. He has his vices, and is, generally speaking, an imperfect man who is expected to be perfect in some sense.
    10 Ruthless Killer Very important. This, I feel for Bond, is the price he pays to live the life he has ended up with. I don't think Bond enjoy's killing, honestly, but he must do it and he realizes this. He takes fatal action when necessary. The actor must be able to portray Bond's cold ability to do this. Moore fails here, all others succeed (except maybe Lazenby), in my opinion.

Can't wait to be torn asunder by others for all this! :D :D
    Physicality:

ogjfgl.jpg

Bond should always lean towards the latter (not to any kind of extreme though, of course).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The most important trait is that he be like Timothy Dalton. :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Tall, dark-haired, handsome, charming, suave.
    In other words the opposite of Craig.

But then Craig has some traits that make him the perfect Bond for the movies he's got.
    Physicality, the ability to fight, running, jumping, and look good when covered in blood.

So the new Bond should have the physicality as well.

But please no more experiments. Stay true to the Fleming vision.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Honestly, it depends for each actor. I had no problem buying each as Bond after a solid debut, despite their different traits.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    For starters....white British over 5 10". But if they pass this first base....in terms of an actor.....good looks, talent and screen presence.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Highly British. The more steeped in British culture, the better. :))