The Opera Scene - silent action sequence - like or loath ? (QOS)

124»

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I loved the opera shootout. If it weren't for that scene and the PTS, I'd hate QoS.

Thankfully one usually finds something to like in all of the James Bond films... :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, but some of them... If it weren't for the DB5, I wouldn't even own Goldfinger.
    Yes, but some of them... If it weren't for the DB5, I wouldn't even own Goldfinger.

Yes, I think that its hyped up reputation has declined over the years amongst Bond fans.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't think so.
    a reminder:

I don't think so.

Sorry, maybe I over read it?
    I don't know. Back to the opera scene, GoldenEye 007/Reloaded copied the idea, because there's a section in a nightclub where the gunshot sounds are drowned out by the music.
    The whole sequence at the Opera is one of the best in any Bond movie for a long time.
    I hate that scene, i think the editing takes to much focus away from the action
    Loved this sequence, and I enjoy QoS more and more as time goes by. Flawed, yeah, but far more enjoyable, grittier and more realistic tone than the last three Brosnan films.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I remember when i first saw this scene,when i was still married ,with my wife and 2 young girls,at the cinema,and my youngest daughter who was 10 said : "Daddy,is there something wrong with the sound or have i gone deaf ?"..
    She knew Bond (loved TB the most) and didnt understand the arty-farty of it.

A magic moment,like the scene itself,i just watched it and memories flooded back....
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    When I first saw it at the cinema I thought the scene was pretentious and Bond films should never be pretentious!

Now I really like it. I love the way it's edited and the silence with the opera playing gives it a dream like quality.

Just another great moment in one of my favourite Bond films!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Absolutely love that scene. One of Arnold's best tracks to accompany it as well.
    I have always felt that the "pretentious" label associated with QoS is very unfair. Apart from some creative (and controversial) editing and cinematography, I think it is a very down to earth Bond film.
    jobo wrote: »
    I have always felt that the "pretentious" label associated with QoS is very unfair. Apart from some creative (and controversial) editing and cinematography, I think it is a very down to earth Bond film.

Compared to the Mendes films it is a very modest effort.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,189
    There's something about Forster himself I can't stand. At least when seeing him being interviewed about Bond back in 2008.

I've often felt Quantum does have a rather "indie" feel and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 7,500
    I guess I'll be pretentious and say that the more Puccini we can pack into Bond, the better! ;)
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I love the entire sequence.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The only scene that i find has jarring editing in qos, however i like the action and the music so it makes for an enjoyable sequence
    Just one thing: When people are leasing David Arnold for the music, they refer to the banquet scene before the opera begins right? The music playing through out the action is Puccini.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It could be edited a bit better, but I still love the scene.
    jobo wrote: »
    Just one thing: When people are leasing David Arnold for the music, they refer to the banquet scene before the opera begins right? The music playing through out the action is Puccini.

Yes, Night at the Opera.

Amazing scene, from beginning to end.
    I love the scene, probably the highlight of QoS for me. Part of why was on first viewing I wasn't expecting it they way it happened. I knew that set was coming from a segment on The Today Show while QoS was in production but wasn't sure how it would be used.

Everything about it says Bond to me - Bond in classic tux, infiltrating it, knocking out the Quantum member, the glamour, music. Love Craig's line "Can I offer an opinion? You people really need to find a better place to meet." I could picture Connery delivering that in his prime.
    The concept of the scene is great (although why are they meeting ?) IMHO but, as with all movies, onces you become too aware of the directors style, you get taken out of the movie and start thinking , "hold on, whats he trying to do", once a director does that , they have failed as they are looking for the audeince to have an immersive experience rather than thinking about the director,

it shows all the signs of a director trying too hard to stamp their own persona on a movie (MI2 another example) rather than be customer lead and think about what the punters want. In terms of his style of work, he throws the kitchen sink at that scene and its a real shame as it has great potential.