"James,do be careful" Why do you care about 007 ?

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
This just popped into my mind,that,after 29 years of watching Bond film after Bond film over and over again,and reading and re-reading the novels,and playing the games (not so much now that i'm an olde farte),why do i care about Bond ? why do i keep going back to the films and the books?

For me it's because i grew up with him basically,since i was a nipper.
He is like a comfort blanket that you can go back to when things are not right.
He is an English hero for me,and,being English,you study him and try to be cool and calm like him.(Not now but when i was younger ).
For example,i was going through a bad relationship break-up in 1995 and,this was still pre GoldenEye,i kept going back to watching TMWTGG and it constantly cheered me up,hence it has a special place with me now even.

Why do you care about Bond,why do you go back to him and watch and read and play all things Bond

Comments

the reason why Bond is so popular is so simple:Cause every man want to be like Bond and every woman want to be with Bond.
    sounds cheesy but one line can be used too:
    Bond is every woman dream and every man nightmare (well atleast the villains ;) )
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 5,745
    I'd like this to be BUMPED

I care because for 50 years its guaranteed a fun and exciting time at the movies. It has a larger than life cool character we all want to be, and its featured some of the most talented people in film history!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    It's savvy, evolving, many times involving. The mainstay for me can be summed up in one word: audacity. This character is an enigma and the way he is attractively presented film on film is down to the obvious passionate production for the piece.
    For me, I don't wish to be him but I care for what he does due to the wit and determination he displays as a character. As Tim Dalton once said "he is not a superman, you cant identify with a superman, but you can identify with Bond as written by Fleming" ultimately Bond typifies tanancity, purpose, vulnerability and a great sexual energy that resonates. It's interesting that most people who hate Bond cant actually operate on these levels and so maybe feel threatened by him.
    The novels will always be my touchstone but as for the cinematic Bond, long may he reign as the REAL of heroes operating in a most surreal world.
  • This all sounds vaguely familiar from something before but in any event, simply because I'm a Bond fan, is that an appropriate response though. I've seen every release, read one or two of the novels, have I like to think, an impressive knowledge of all things 007, and have gone to see each theater release from as far back as I can remember. James Bond is a universal product and recognized the world over, people have for generations been captivated to an extent by the series with it's array of action, drama, humor, violence, locations and different Bonds and what they have brought to the role. OK, James Bond might not be for everyone, but here at least there is a real interest and also there are thousands, maybe Millions of other 007 enthusiasts around the globe who also get involved and have stories to tell, this Bond family is growing by the years, it's one of the most instantly recognizable franchises since movies began taking into account his exploits on the big screen
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    RE: Why do you care about 007?

Because he's the best we have... although I'd never tell him. ;)
    He is the spy who changed it all. He was a spy who saved the World, he didn't just spy and steal things from other rival countries.
    Plus, he always has a good car, he is lucky in both bacarrat and texas hold'em, he's got the women - even the two special ones, Vesper and Tracy -, he's got the thrill and, most importantly, he was my hero since I saw 007's first film, which was TSWLM. My friends used to talk about who'd win in a battle, Superman, Batman or Spiderman, and I used to say Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2012 Posts: 12,459
    trying to remember how to get rid of a double post; sorry!
    I think alot of it is to do with charm..

There are other big action blockbusters and spy films out there but they have none of the charm that Bond has. When he trades insults with the villain it is done through a thin veil of old world manners and politeness rather then tearing around with a machine gun (apart from Brosnan).

He used his fists but also his brains and charm. He was erudite, witty and well travelled. Instead of another car chase in New York or a fight in LA we visited the temple of Karnak in Luxor or the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. He was British but he had an international feel. He was cosmospolitan. He belonged to the world.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    You're right @actonsteve. Although I'd argue that, while Brosnan did have his fair share of machine gun action he also did the flippant, old world "trading insults with the villain" thing.

"What no small talk? No chit chat?

That's the trouble with the world today no one takes the time to do a really sinister interrogation anymore...Its a lost art!

That strikes me as something only Bond would say.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    You're right @actonsteve. Although I'd argue that, while Brosnan did have his fair share of machine gun action he also did the flippant, old world "trading insults with the villain" thing.

"What no small talk? No chit chat?

That's the trouble with the world today no one takes the time to do a really sinister interrogation anymore...Its a lost art!

That strikes me as something only Bond would say.

Rog and Tim had machine gun scenes but Brozz had the only scene where he tears around like Rambo (with Wai Lin) for ten minutes. It looked so out of place.

But I dont blame him, I blame Roger Spottiswoode for getting it wrong.

For me Bond is pure escapism and entertainment in the best sense of the word. Whether life is good or bad depending on circumstances for the times? I know that i can escape the toils of life with a Bond adventure for a couple of hours.

I grew up with Bond! I will grow old with Bond! Just keep those adventures coming! :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bond is about a thousand great things, and then a thousand more. A new kind of "hero" after centuries of myth, legends, saga's and fairy tails. Here's escapism at its best for all of us, born in the second half of the 20th century. Bond is about wanting to be a certain type of man, fashioned after the cultural peculiarities and socio-political needs of the complicated times since 1945. I so very much would like to be James Bond, for a thousand good reasons, and then a thousand more.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 30
    James Bond is basically awesome in every way possible. I growed up with Bond and it's not hard to imagine why every one loves him.
    He's the ultimate escape when life get's you down. He's always there, sauve, ruthless and always get's the girl.
    I've been a Bond fan since i was 5 and the first Bond film i ever watched was GE and ever since then i've been hooked on the films, books and games.
    When i got older i learned to appreciate the films in a different way to what a child would and then i started reading the original books, i read CR/LALD and MR back to back and then i was hooked on the books just like the films.

The year 1958. We , a bunch of university students pooled our pennies together and bought a couple of Fleming's novels. The very first one I read was Dr No. Since then Bond is part of my life particularly when he appeared in the form of Sean Connery in 1962 when Dr No was released.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The year 1958. We , a bunch of university students pooled our pennies together and bought a couple of Fleming's novels. The very first one I read was Dr No. Since then Bond is part of my life particularly when he appeared in the form of Sean Connery in 1962 when Dr No was released.

Ah, at last - someone in my age range. Nice to hear. :)