Questions about "Moonraker"

j7wildj7wild Suspended
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 823
I just finished watching this.

5 questions:

Where was Drax running to when Bond was chasing him? There was nothing there but an airlock into space?

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d7416e144186782

How did Bond knew Drax's Moonraker 5 had a laser on it?

When Jaws and his girlfriend were in that piece of the space station that broke apart and headed back to earth, shouldn't it had disintegrated when it reached Earth's atmosphere?

Even before that, shouldn't they both be dead from lack of oxygen and life support in there?

Also, Drax's ground crews that didn't get to go on the 6 shuttles, they were just left behind to die? Talk about job security!

It's funny one doesn't ask questions like this when one first watches it in 1979 at the age of 14!!

Comments

I just finished watching this.

5 questions:

Where was Drax running to when Bond was chasing him? There was nothing there but an airlock into space?
    Looking for a Gun?!?!

He could of figured it out on the way up.

When Jaws and his girlfriend were in that piece of the space station that broke apart and headed back to earth, shouldn't it had disintegrated when it reached Earth's atmosphere?

Even before that, shouldn't they both be dead from lack of oxygen and life support in there?
    HIS JAWS!! HE CAN'T DIE!!! AND DOLLY HAD THE KISS OF JAWS SO SHE CAN'T DIE!!! seriously any one got a better one...

Also, Drax's ground crews that didn't get to go on the 6 shuttles, they were just left behind to die? Talk about job security!
    Drax Didn't tell them

Now for @DaltonCraig with his original explanations

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Good question. I just think he was running away from the deadly fuss. Must be one of those 'I don't care where I end up as long as it's far away from here' moments. Maybe he was planning to hide there and return to safer grounds when everything had calmed down.

How did he know? Maybe Holly, who is in the position to know, told him off-screen. Maybe he observed it somehow. No doubt such a little bit of information can get to him during moments when we're occupied with other stuff.

No. When the angle is right, you can safely return. There might have been a security program installed, which automatically directs this part back to Earth for a 'safe' landing in the ocean, in case something goes wrong. Remember, even smaller rocks from space sometimes land on our planet without being burnt up completely. But you're right, the chances are very small.

No. You see, there are several options here. 1) They can find themselves a suit and wear it during the short trip. 2) This central portion of the station seemed quite protected by very thick doors. The O² support might have easily still been 'switched' on so they would not have been without oxygen during the trip.

Easy. Why would Drax care? He's about to kill nearly all of mankind. Those people down on Earth, there's no telling what they had been told. It's not like everyone involved knew exactly what Drax was up to.

But we're trying to find logic and a sense of reality in a film that hardly values that. And that's no complaint by the way.

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited August 2011 Posts: 823
    no, I always thought Drax was running for an escape pod or his shuttle or something!!

no, I always thought Drax was running for an escape pod or his shuttle or something!!
    Okay, well, like you said it yourself: dead end. No escape pod and wrong corridor for a shuttle.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I don't think Dr. Goodhead told Bond because when they were roaming around the station looking for a way off and the station was disintegrating around them, Bond saw Moonraker 5 and he said:

"Moonraker 5. That's the Answer. Drax's shuttle is armed with a Laser."

one final question: why was this an Anglo-French production. Did EON run out of money at the time to make a Bond film?

Thanks!
    Watch the inside MR documentary. It's all explained there. It involves taxes iirc.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Watch the inside MR documentary. It's all explained there. It involves taxes iirc.
    okay, I will.

I have the entire Bond collection on DVD but I hardly watch the special features.

P.S.:

I've never seen an episode of Dallas.

I didn't even know til now that Lois Chiles was on Dallas in 1982.

She was quite a dish!!

Moonraker is not the best Bond film to try to disect to make sense of things.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I got a whole long list now... would you like to hear them?!?

;;) :-j
    I got a whole long list now... would you like to hear them?!?

;;) :-j
    With MR that doesn't surprise me at all.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Darth nice try, but those rocks landing on the planet are solid and a lot larger when they start their decent to the surface. A rock with a diameter of 1000m will end up as a pebble when reaching the ground. The space station never stood a chance. But that's the REAL world, in Bond, it all works differently, and in Moore's Bond, Jaws survives everything.
    Yeah, I'm just trying, you know. ;;)

But like I said, MR is not the type of film that seeks 100% credibility, despite Cubby referring to it as science fact, instead of science fiction.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    No, but it's the 2nd best Bond film, just behind TMWTGG !!

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Darth, well, it was a good try, I'll give you that. ;-)
    If you can explain why we can hear those explosions in space In a credible way I might send you a bottle of Bollinger (and a nobel-prize!)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It's a JAMES BOND FILM... a MOORE BOND FILM... not a space documentary...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Gotta agree with those who are asking not to take these things to seriously. It's a Bond film. Set in space!
    The fact that you didn't get bogged down with these questions whilst you watched the film the first time, shows that the film worked as entertainment to me. You didn't care untill subsequent viewings. Something I quite enjoy doing when watching a Bond film now.
    You know, like how did Blofeld construct that hollowed out volcano without anyone knowing?
    And who was Drax on the phone to when he was seeking a replacement for Chang?
    And why was he called Chang when everyone called him Char?
    And where the hell was I ?

And why was he called Chang when everyone called him Char?
    That is the 64,000 dollar question about MR to me .
    I used to think i was going mad as i KNEW they were saying Char in the film :
    "Convalessing,your friend Char just tried to kill me ".

Wel,, that's why I'm not much of a Moore-Bond-fan. Space is one frontier too far. Still, nobody interested in Bollinger then? *glog*
    @Darth, well, it was a good try, I'll give you that. ;-)
    If you can explain why we can hear those explosions in space In a credible way I might send you a bottle of Bollinger (and a nobel-prize!)
    I always show my students the MR space battle.
    Then I proceed by explaining sound waves can't exist in the absence of matter. ;;)

Physics can be fun. :)
    *hips* you'le absolulety light! *hips*
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I always show my students the MR space battle.
    Then I proceed by explaining sound waves can't exist in the absence of matter. ;;)

Physics can be fun. :)
    I will be attending your physics class soon... But I expect you to show us the ENTIRE film !!