From Russia With Love Vs Blood Stone

Since there is not much to talk about regarding James Bond video games, I thought I would put up a thread in regards to two third person shooters. Which one do you think is better? I personally give Blood Stone the edge because it has an original story and helped bridge the gap between Quantum Of Solace and Skyfall. While From Russia With Love is my favorite James Bond movie, its video game counterpart didn't produce the same magic that the movie did. Still, it does deserve some recognition for bringing back Sean Connery!

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 229
    I played Blood Stone and I really enjoyed it. It captured the feel of the last two Bond movies and was fun to play. The style reminded me of the last two games Everything Or Nothing and From Russia With love in great ways. I suppose i like this game so much, because i see the potential, and know that if given the chance, the studio could really take James Bond into a cool direction. The graphics aren't as good but the gameplay and transition in and out of video sequences is just as good as any other action game. The story is also well told, which to me isn't surprising for a Bond game either. Some of the shooting mechanics from this game I would argue are implemented better, most notably the cover system.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Bloodstone by a mile
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    From Russia With Love. More fun, on par with the unbelievable action-packed era of th Bond games. But, Blood Stone is also brilliant in its own right. Probably not in terms of the gameplay, since it was too linear, but cinematically and theatrically, it was overtly brilliant.
    Bloodstone by far. EoN is the best Bond game of all time IMO, but FRWL took the elements that made EoN great and watered everything way down.

Bloodstone wasn't incredible by any means, but it was an original Bond game that had some really fun parts to it. It just lacked the polish to really turn into a great game. I really hate that Activision didn't continue on with a sequel to it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i would have to go with Blood Stone - but by the slimmest of margins.. the plot didn't seem fully fleshed out, the villains motives weren't really fully explained (if really at all).. it seemed more a vehicle for an action driving (or boating) game, with what little of a story Bruce could scrape up to try and tie it all together to make sense..

From Russia With Love took the Everything Or Nothing template and just ran full tilt to it.. i didn't really care for some of the added bits (like the whole PTS fight with the helicopters and jet packs) - i understand they wanted to ramp up gameplay and everything.. but FRWL didn't really lend itself to a game style like that - perhaps if they went with Thunderball instead.... plus, as cool as it was to have Connery back as Bond (even in voice form) it was really odd to hear old Connery's voice coming out of young Connery's face...
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I really like both, probably would choose FRWL if I could have only one.

But let's be clear about Bond games.
    Goldeneye was and will be forever the best Bond game ever.
    Goldeneye will always hold the title of best Bond game ever, but I think in terms of providing the truest Bond experience Everything or Nothing does the best job.

^^ My biggest issue with FRWL is how it seemed to dumb down certain aspects of gameplay elements we saw in EoN and elements from the FRWL film. Things like:

- Having objectives like to simply destroy 20 enemy cars when racing around Instanbul.
    - Having the massive un-human enemies with machine guns where you had to shoot them certain areas to remove their armour.
    - Turning the end of the gypsy fight sequence into Bond versus a tank.
    - That ending level turning into Bond fighting a robotic octopus with Red Grant at the controls.