Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    talos7 wrote: »

Yes, that is stupid.

And when they refer to a need to "breathe new life into the franchise", I don't know what they're talking about. Bond is bigger than its been since 1965.

Sadly enough I think this idea will gain a lot of traction in today's climate. Remains to be seen if the producers capitulate. Based on what Babs has said before, I hope not...but as Bond fans we know to never say never.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 73
    Sheer stupidity. Yet another moron (pop culture journalist) who has no idea what he is talking about. I am sure EON won't go that route.
    Besides what is this tosh about Bond franchise needing "a breath of fresh air"? Apparently NTTD is doing tremendous business even when the pandemic isn't exactly over. I went to a lunchtime showing and it was packed.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 485
    The most obvious way to go would be to do a period Bond film set in the 60s or maybe even the 50s, but I hope they won't go that route yet. I hope they will concentrate on making a lean and mean Bond film and I don't mind some drama as long as the source of the drama isn't a character's past, but something that happens during Bond's mission.

My only worry about the future is that Barbara Broccoli's heart won't be in it as much as it has been in the Craig era. She clearly adores Craig (much more than she ever adored Pierce) and I'm a bit worried she will be less enthusiastic about the franchise when a new actor playes the role. Fingers crossed that won't be the case.
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Go older, make it Pierce, and I'm with you.

I will say, I think Pierce in that film would instantly be better than anything we got in his four Bond films.

yes pierce was a good 007 in his time, and he wanted to made gritty movies after. maybe if they send him a good script, could be.
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    I’ve been shouting for an older pierce in a faithful adaptation of TSWLM, or one of the short stories.
    wish eon listen, he still is capable, we never get a november man sequel, at least they can give him the movie he never did to end his 007.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I'd love an older Bond - and Liam pulled off being an older action hero, so it is not inconceivable. And I loved Pierce in November Man. But I doubt they would go that route.
    I'd also like a period set Bond film, but I don't even more that would happen.

They want to appeal to the mass general public. Which of course makes good business sense. We would, too, if we were in charge.

What would that mean? What would the general mass audience like?
    • Somebody good at martial arts, who is fit - but better if not close to Daniel's exact physical type or fighting style, if possible. I don't want anybody trying to look like his clone.
    • Someone who will appeal to men as well as women - and that means natural charisma that comes across on screen.
    • Also a confident actor, who can not only portray confidence but who can portray a lot else even without dialog.
    • Someone not in their late 50s or older; or who looks like a teenager.
    Real charisma is the magic in a bottle that is rare, and good luck to them. I hope they find somebody who is strong in that regard.

I'm hoping for a 30 yr old or so, not younger, new Bond. Someone that has not been mentioned yet on the other threads. I just don't care for the names mentioned.

So it is easier for me to say what I don't want the producers to go for:
    a) the code name theory (ugh!), b) female Bond (all for similar one started, just not as actually Bond), c) anything veering toward camp, over the top humor, stupid humor, etc. A light touch always welcome, though.

I hope the series starts fresh. A truly great, exciting script is the best starting point I can think of. Nothing to do with Craig's Bond (or the situation NTTD left him in). No need to mention any of that. Just give us a new world of Bond, with an intelligent, charismatic actor who is a good actor, keep MI6 office as is, London at the heart of it, and make it a very high octane adventure that still has moments of thoughtfulness and mystery. But please do not make any MI6 person or family member be a traitor.

Where does Bond go from here? Anywhere with the right script and casting. Well, maybe not outer space.
    I think 30 years or younger would be too young - just as 38 year old Daniel Craig was slightly too old for a rookie 007 (although his acting chops made up for that). Someone born during the Dalton era would be preferable, around 35 years old. Therefore we could expect him to remain in the role for a decade or so, 3 to 4 films.
    And they should keep the DB5 - it could be explained way as his aunt Charmian's old car or something, which the Q department has spiced up.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    And they should keep the DB5 - it could be explained way as his aunt Charmian's old car or something, which the Q department has spiced up.

The more I reflect on the Craig era, the more I think the next one should severely tone down the references to previous eras. As fun as the DB5 appearences in CR and SF are it has been overdone and I think they should leave it in the garage for a little bit and spend more time trying to establish new icons for the future. That might be a bit over-ambitious and it can of course go horribly wrong, but I don't think there is anything tactile (meaning not story or plot based) that the Craig era leaves behind for future generations to pick up again. Something like the V8 Vantage appearing in NTTD as a callback to Living Daylights/Dalton just cannot really happen for Craig, because his "hero car" has always been Connery's DB5. I would love it if Bond #35 in 2051 brought back a 2006 Ford Mondeo, but I am probably alone on that one. As beautiful as the DBS V12 is, I don't think people connect it to Craig's Bond the way they do the DB5. I certainly don't.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I would be ok with this, if it were an animated film, made outside of the main series. Free of the baggage of the main series, they could explore some of the 'what ifs', featuring the voice and likeness of each actor: a follow-up for OHMSS, dust off and use one of the Bond #17 treatments for Dalton's 3rd, a fifth film for Brosnan etc...
    Oh yes, definitely. It may be difficult to green light such project since IoI wants to develop its own iteration of Bond, but Alfonse Ruggiero's B17 treatment could have been the great basis for a video game and thus a wonderful way to bring back Dalton for a third adventure.

Dynamite are doing their own thing with Bond, and it’s in a separate medium, I don’t see how it would interfere with IOI.

Of course, there is also the option of Big Finish striking a deal with EON for the licence to produce new audios. Not to the blitzkrieg levels of their Doctor Who output, but new missions for Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig.
    there is an irony in that Bond is meant to be about cutting edge, futuristic tech and yet we see him driving a car that's around 55 years old. Imagine Connery driving a car build in 1910! Got to move forward in future IMHO
    patb wrote: »
    there is an irony in that Bond is meant to be about cutting edge, futuristic tech and yet we see him driving a car that's around 55 years old. Imagine Connery driving a car build in 1910! Got to move forward in future IMHO

Never read the novels, then? :D
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The fact that the idea of a 70 years old Brosnan Bond would bring so much excitement to some fans speaks volumes regarding the current state of part of this fanbase.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,946

I don't think Bond is supposed to be cutting edge: the villains are the people at the cutting edge, Bond is the representative of the status quo and old school. The films even (accidentally I think, through a quirk of choice of direction for Desmond Llewellyn in GF) embraced that with Bond showing distain or at most disinterest towards his high-tech gadgets.

If they followed the books' principle he'd be driving around in a 20 year-old Bentley GT like a Brixton drug dealer :D
    matt_u wrote: »
    The fact that the idea of a 70 years old Brosnan Bond would bring so much excitement to some fans speaks volumes regarding the current state of part of this fanbase.

It shows that fans as a general rule will always look to the past.
    That's not a surprise or a bad thing, they became fans because of what the thing used to be in the past. But it never really says much about the current state of anything.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    mtm wrote: »
    It shows that fans as a general rule will always look to the past.
    That's not a surprise or a bad thing, they became fans because of what the thing used to be in the past. But it never really says much about the current state of anything.

It's not a bad thing to always look at the past but at the same time it shows a deep alienation from the actual reality. It's sad, I feel bad for them. It's sad to see so many long time fans being so triggered after this Craig run.
    Bond is a connoisseur of finer things in life, and let's face it - posh things often carry a patina of bygone ages. I see no reason why Bond who'se tastes are pretty much based on fin-de-ciecle upper class trappings wouldn't or couldn't to own a "ancient" car. A car which is both handmade (testament of industriousness) and British. In my opinion Bond having anachronistic streak is very much in the character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bond is a connoisseur of finer things in life, and let's face it - posh things often carry a patina of bygone ages. I see no reason why Bond who'se tastes are pretty much based on fin-de-ciecle upper class trappings wouldn't or couldn't to own a "ancient" car. A car which is both handmade (testament of industriousness) and British. In my opinion Bond having anachronistic streak is very much in the character.

And driving a beautiful classic car is much more of 'thing' now than it was when Fleming was writing: back then old cars weren't classics, they were just old and not really worth anything.
    And driving a beautiful classic car is much more of 'thing' now than it was when Fleming was writing: back then old cars weren't classics, they were just old and not really worth anything.
    Indeed. And in the novels set in 1950's Bond drove a frankenstein'd 1930's car - and back then shelf life of a car was less than 5 years. I am 99 % certain the next Bond will drive a vintage Aston Martin. As a character Bond is not about what is fashionable. He cuts his own style which has become iconic - and fashionable.
    Very fair comments re driving a classic car...but I loved that white Lotus (I digress)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very fair comments re driving a classic car...but I loved that white Lotus (I digress)

It's a good point: Roger is actually probably the most modern man out of all the Bonds (maybe Lazenby), his flat is a little chinzy perhaps but he does have an up to date kitchen complete with coffee machine, digital watches and sliding doors!

I've often thought that if Roger hadn't happened, if they were to announce that Bond will drive a mid-engined, wedge-shaped very modern white Lotus in the next film, fans would go mad and complain that's not Bond's sort of car at all. I probably would too!
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 485
    It seems Paloma is universally loved despite her tiny role. If I was EON I would hire Phoebe Waller-Bridge to write a Paloma spin-off ASAP. I most certainly would not be against a Paloma spin-off before Bond 26.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    edited October 2021 Posts: 57
    It seems Paloma is universally loved despite her tiny role. If I was EON I would hire Phoebe Waller-Bridge to write a Paloma spin-off ASAP. I most certainly would not be against a Paloma spin-off before Bond 26.

Perhaps she could team up with Benoit Blanc...

I personally can't see a spin off from such a small role. More likely to just pull a Maud Adams and get a meatier role in a proper Bond film in the future. Personally wouldn't be against that.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Simon wrote: »

I personally can't see a spin off from such a small role. More likely to just pull a Maud Adams and get a meatier role in a proper Bond film in the future. Personally wouldn't be against that.

Same. Along with Rosamund Pike.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Simon wrote: »

Spot on. Paloma was tremendous, but it's not a thing that can sustain a movie. A bubbly, inexperienced badass was a great choice for one long scene, but it's not something that would work for two hours.
    I cannot think of any Bond spinoff that could actually work. Bond is a franchise which revolves around the character of James Bond and all the iconography (music, visuals, cars, guns, lines of dialogue) that comes with it. Without the iconography we would have a run of a mill action/espionage yarn. 60 years ago when the Bond film series started that iconography didn't exist, but neither did anything like Bond series either. Nowadays action/espionage franchises are dime a dozen, but none of them are as special as Bond, because of all the iconic elements one expects and which separates Bond from the competition.
    I don't know if TB does feel very Fleming does it? Even the book doesn't really: there's not much in the way of twisted or mad or pervy stuff in there, it's all pretty straightforward.
    It introduced to us Ernst Stavro Blofeld, who by Fleming standards is a perv and twisted by not being a drinker nor a smoker and being apparently asexual. I've always felt when reading the novels that Blofeld's companionship with Irma Bunt is based on her being as evil than he is, not her being his fancy - even Satan had his demons around him. And I'd bet that Irma (obviously a former Nazi concentration camp guard) also has no use for traditional human relationships.

If/when they bring back SPECTRE - what if it's lead by Irma Bunt? A female arch nemesis for Bond. Would be a nice twist, since he (the character) already has has a female boss.

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I cannot think of any Bond spinoff that could actually work. Bond is a franchise which revolves around the character of James Bond and all the iconography (music, visuals, cars, guns, lines of dialogue) that comes with it. Without the iconography we would have a run of a mill action/espionage yarn. 60 years ago when the Bond film series started that iconography didn't exist, but neither did anything like Bond series either. Nowadays action/espionage franchises are dime a dozen, but none of them are as special as Bond, because of all the iconic elements one expects and which separates Bond from the competition.

The question is how much the audience/the filmmaker/the marketing make out of it being a spin-off. There are loads of examples in film history of characters being semi-officially taken into a different project or background characters connecting films or characters played by one actor in multiple films being so similar that people make the connection themselves (f.e. Sean Connery in The Rock).
    Bringing it back to the example at hand: I think I would prefer it if someone - probably Amazon-MGM with the implicit blessing of Eon - made a spy action comedy about a female Cuban-American CIA agent played by Ana de Armas. No need to lean into the Bond iconography; no need to include the other background players; no need to harp on the events that unfold after Paloma exits from NTTD; hell, they don't even have to call her Paloma. We can do codename theory 2.0. Just take the great sketch of a character we have now seen and build a good film around it.
    In the novels there’s nothing cutting edge about him. He hasn’t any gadgets except for the FRWL briefcase, which is far simpler than it’s cinematic counterpart. He likes old cars, old cities (he’s constantly bemoaning how New York and Paris have not been the same since the war), old lawn mowers, the old world (He blames women’s suffrage and the loss of the empire for most of modern Britain’s problems) and old sensibilities.
    Indeed. Fleming's Bonds tastes, habits and even attitudes are more post-WW1 (if not even pre-) than post-WW2.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The only one I can think of which would work, and I've mentioned before, is The Man With The Golden Gun starring an updated version of Scaramanga as the central character. He can basically be a dark version of Bond, doing the same things as Bond and living in the same heightened world but not quite ripping him off and different enough to justify. Plus he has his own iconography too (and I guess can interact with Spectre etc. as well).

I'm not sure a Bond spinoff can work very well with another spy (especially an MI6 one) because Bond is the only one of those we want to see.

If/when they bring back SPECTRE - what if it's lead by Irma Bunt? A female arch nemesis for Bond. Would be a nice twist, since he (the character) already has has a female boss.

Yeah I like that idea a lot. We do need another female main villain, just for the sake of variety more than anything else.

In FRWL Connery was shown with Bond’s Bentley, from the novels. That cars was from the ‘20s, the film was 1963.

Mid-1930s I think, but it's not important - I agree with your post and said much the same thing myself.
    My brother and I agree the next Bond + era is going to go in a more lighthearted direction. Not Moore levels of camp, but probably a significantly higher amount of levity. Personally, I want a return to dominantly standalone missions, a more promiscuous Bond (at least one different girl per movie, no “love of his life” like Tracy, Vesper, or Madeleine again for a long time please), and just less baggage. None are likely sadly with how things are now though. I love what Craig did in his time, but some of the elements got more repetitive to me over his 4 movies (haven’t yet seen NTTD) than the elements of the first 20.