Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    If they were ever going to put Bond back in the fifties or sixties, now would be a great time to do it.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Where does Bond go after Craig?
    Back to the drawing board after seeing NTTD.
    The series is in desperate need of new blood
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 303
    I can't see Eon/Amazon doing a period reboot so a full reboot. All new cast. Bond in his 30s and fairly experienced. I don't think a reboot of Dr.No will happen but after NTTD anything is possible. Clone of Bond! Lol
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I've heard some whispers that the speeches Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli gave at the Albert Hall premiere sounded a lot like this was MGW's last film. Nothing concrete of course, but apparently it was quite "lifetime achievement award"-like. Would probably fit with the big departure the next one will have to be. Let people who will actually carry the franchise into the next 15 years steer the boat.

I think they have always said there will never be direct, official remakes of films. They of course do similar things all the time and if MGW leaves the bridge, that stance might change, but I don't see it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,949
    I've heard some whispers that the speeches Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli gave at the Albert Hall premiere sounded a lot like this was MGW's last film. Nothing concrete of course, but apparently it was quite "lifetime achievement award"-like.

I guess that would be pretty understandable, time to enjoy it.
    At least Mickey G got to do his usual cameo in NTTD!
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 73
    I would think that we won't get another origin story for Bond. The next Bond will probably be a seasoned pro like Connery was in Dr. No. I think a Thunderball-like story would be a best way to introduce a new 007, keeping in mind that novel started as a script for a movie. It would be a good way to really bring back SPECTRE in all of it's glory hopefully keeping a certain character unseen for a few films.

First time poster, long time lurker. And that isn't my name. I just translated the name Ernst Stavro Blofeld to Finnish.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Commander is a really high rank too, isn't it? Whatever he's done to get that isn't nothing.
    But then I think you've got to balance that a bit; people going to the cinema I think probably do expect to see M and 007 and all that to some extent.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,351
    mtm wrote: »
    Commander is a really high rank too, isn't it? Whatever he's done to get that isn't nothing.
    But then I think you've got to balance that a bit; people going to the cinema I think probably do expect to see M and 007 and all that to some extent.

I did a bit of research on that, but I can't find it at the moment. From what I remember a Commander is equivalent in rank to the commanding officer of the entire SBS (Royal Marines Lieutenant-Colonel, OF-4), which is too high ranking.
    He has to and will always be Commander Bond, there is no way they change it, but it would probably have to be something along the lines of being given a promotion for intelligence work after he has already left the SBS f.e. as a Captain leading a team, which is - I think - the way Fleming set it up in the YOLT obit. However, MI6 and the Navy aren't as closely linked as they were in the war, so it's all a bit of a problem.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

I did a bit of research on that, but I can't find it at the moment. From what I remember a Commander is equivalent in rank to the commanding officer of the entire SBS (Royal Marines Lieutenant-Colonel), OF-4, which is a bit of a problem.
    He has to and will always be Commander Bond, there is no way they change it, but it would probably have to be something along the lines of being given a promotion for intelligence work after he has already left the SBS f.e. as a Captain leading a team, which is - I think - the way Fleming set it up in the YOLT obit. However, MI6 and the Navy aren't as closely linked as they were in the war, so it's all a bit of a problem.

Ah wow, so not much chance he was actually one of the troops if he held that rank at the time then! :)
    Yeah I'm no expert at all, but if you look at the captain of the destroyer HMS Dragon (as seen in NTTD!) he holds the rank of Commander. It's pretty big stuff and kind of mad that someone of that rank, who can captain whole massive vessels, is just going around the world killing people in hotel rooms :))

Of course Gardner made him Captain Bond, but that just never sounded as cool. Win, Lose Or Die did have him seconded back to the Navy, which I always thought was quite a neat place to start a plot.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,491
    I am 99% sure I wrote something like this before.

But here's what I want from the next movie.

Logan-type of movie.

Old bond.

One movie only.

You hire a new Bond just for one movie, as a "breathing" period between Craig and the next long tenured bond.

Let's say Jason Isaacs.

Someone like him, for example.

60 year old Bond.

Maybe retired. Lives a boring life, drinks, smokes, somehow still has sex every night. Waiting for death and hating himself. A cynical man.

This is obviously just the first few minutes of the movie, to get the vibe.

M calls Bond. There's a new threat to the world. Someone that wants to take over the world/has nukes/whatever. Old school threat.

Every other agent failed. Many died. It seems that the new approach is not working. They need someone from the old school. They need Bond.

He takes the mission cause what does he have to lose? Either he'll die during the mission which at this point is fine with him or he'll save the world. Again.

A Goldfinger type of a movie where Bond goes undercover.

He uses his intelligence to extract information. He uses his gun to deal with younger, stronger, more athletic henchmen that are trying to catch him.

Just Bond, using his mind, weapons, charisma and gadgets. Nothing else.

Somehow, Bond saves the world.

Old school never goes out of style.

Bond finds a new reason to go forward in life. Being a spy is not all that bad. He had a great life. He should celebrate it. He's seen as a hero of the MI6. Younger agents try to learn from him. He feels happiness while looking at the sunrise.

It's a new day. And Bond is happy to see it.

No ambiguous endings of "is he dead?" and stuff.

A happy ending.

A movie that resembles FRWL or GF or DN.

Undercover spy doing spy things while being suave.

That's what Bond is.

It starts with Bond being depressed. But the world needs him. M needs him. MI6 needs him.

I want to see that type of a movie.

I want an old Bond. I really want something like that. Logan proved you can make a movie like that where the main character seems bruised, beaten and old... while also not feeling like he's old, but he's still the same old badass.

And then.... a new start for the franchise with a new Bond who will have multiple movies.
    dragonsky wrote: »

Logan-type of movie.

Old bond.

One movie only.

You hire a new Bond just for one movie, as a "breathing" period between Craig and the next long tenured bond.

Let's say Jason Isaacs.

60 year old Bond.

Maybe retired. Lives a boring life, drinks, smokes, somehow still has sex every night. Waiting for death and hating himself. A cynical man.

M calls Bond. There's a new threat to the world. Someone that wants to take over the world/has nukes/whatever. Old school threat.

Every other agent failed. Many died. It seems that the new approach is not working. They need someone from the old school. They need Bond.

He takes the mission cause what does he have to lose? Either he'll die during the mission which at this point is fine with him or he'll save the world. Again.

He uses his intelligence to extract information. He uses his gun to deal with younger, stronger, more athletic henchmen that are trying to catch him.

Bond finds a new reason to go forward in life. Being a spy is not all that bad. He had a great life. He should celebrate it. He's seen as a hero of the MI6. Younger agents try to learn from him. He feels happiness while looking at the sunrise.

A happy ending.

That's what Bond is.

It starts with Bond being depressed. But the world needs him. M needs him. MI6 needs him.

I want an old Bond. I really want something like that. Logan proved you can make a movie like that where the main character seems bruised, beaten and old... while also not feeling like he's old, but he's still the same old badass.

And then.... a new start for the franchise with a new Bond who will have multiple movies.

Love it! Jason Isaacs would be great, but I'd really want Dalton to come back as an old Bond.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »

Logan-type of movie.

Old bond.

One movie only.

Let's say Jason Isaacs.

60 year old Bond.

A happy ending.

That's what Bond is.

Love it! Jason Isaacs would be great, but I'd really want Dalton to come back as an old Bond.

You beat me to the punch. And @dragonsky wrote the outline for this movie before I could. Damn you both! :)) :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Go older, make it Pierce, and I'm with you.

Now we're talking. :-bd

I will say, I think Pierce in that film would instantly be better than anything we got in his four Bond films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess it's the trendy thing to do, what with Keaton going back to Batman and all that. I'm not sure it would quite be as zeigeisty as that if he came back because I'm not sure he's quite as well-remembered, but maybe it would work, I don't know.
  • If we were to get older Bond after Craig I'd want Tim Dalton only.
  • Not sure about the relevance of such pitch (old man Bond comes back for one last mission) as it could be argue it already was more or less the basis of Skyfall, while NTTD also seems to go in this direction. At this point, a new origin story for Bond would be more original. Not that I would like to see that, but it would be less redundant than an older Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not sure about the relevance of such pitch (old man Bond comes back for one last mission) as it could be argue it already was more or less the basis of Skyfall, while NTTD also seems to go in this direction. At this point, a new origin story for Bond would be more original. Not that I would like to see that, but it would be less redundant than an older Bond.

Yes considering we’ve just had a Bond in his 50s I’m not sure how interesting a Bond I’m his late 60s would be really. It feels like it would be a bit of a dead end: I’d much prefer a new start.
    If we were to get older Bond after Craig I'd want Tim Dalton only.

+1
    Absolutely
    But I would be curious to know how ol' George would do??
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6

Yeah. Give Brosnan the last movie he never got.
  • I'm really not a fan of the idea of bringing back a previous iteration of Bond, especially since there has been a change of continuity. While it may work for comic book properties, with all the Multiverse concept, it really seems a niche idea for Bond, only meeting the desire of a small portion of the audience, the hardcore fans.

IMO, the Bond series is aimed at the large audience, this is what allows it to continue to exist.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I agree with @Herr_Stockmann, at least to a certain extent. I am against the idea of a past actor reprising the role, and yes, i'm including Sir Timothy Dalton in that. At least not in the live action series, anyway. I would be ok with this, if it were an animated film, made outside of the main series. Free of the baggage of the main series, they could explore some of the 'what ifs', featuring the voice and likeness of each actor: a follow-up for OHMSS, dust off and use one of the Bond #17 treatments for Dalton's 3rd, a fifth film for Brosnan etc...
  • I would be ok with this, if it were an animated film, made outside of the main series. Free of the baggage of the main series, they could explore some of the 'what ifs', featuring the voice and likeness of each actor: a follow-up for OHMSS, dust off and use one of the Bond #17 treatments for Dalton's 3rd, a fifth film for Brosnan etc...
    Oh yes, definitely. It may be difficult to green light such project since IoI wants to develop its own iteration of Bond, but Alfonse Ruggiero's B17 treatment could have been the great basis for a video game and thus a wonderful way to bring back Dalton for a third adventure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m not naïve enough to think this would ever happen, with either of those previous actors. I’m just saying what I want. When we do these hypotheticals, I could care less what EON would actually do, or what would benefit them financially. The last thing I care at all about is EON’s box office, or how much the average Joe likes to film. I don’t care if a Bond film bombs. Eventually, there’ll be another one. In fact I wish a few of these last ones had bombed. Maybe things would’ve been a little different. Maybe a new hand behind the scenes could have gotten something out somewhat quicker.

I think that's perfectly fine; I'm not keen on folks pretending that everyone agrees with them or that they know what Eon should do- I much prefer to read people just saying what they personally want, which is all any of us can really do.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    If we were to get older Bond after Craig I'd want Tim Dalton only.

+1
    Absolutely
    But I would be curious to know how ol' George would do??

:)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    lol, nice. I know it's supposed to be comedic, and I do like GL's Bond in OHMSS very much, but that was terrible.

And in no way as he retained that killer look, not like these fellas ;)

sir_malcolm_murray.jpg

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc821e42c-9643-11e8-b2a8-453c9f590323.jpg?crop=1000%2C1500%2C625%2C0

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not sure if I'd be totally on board with this idea, as I think the franchise is mostly in need of a complete refresh and to go backwards I think might be a mistake. If there were to do it though, they better make sure to get age-appropriate Bond girls.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 503
    I'd be all for bringing back Pierce, but there's no way they're gonna bring back Dalton. Barely anyone (outside of core fandom) even knows or remembers he was once Bond.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I hope Nolan gets to write and helm a trilogy. Give him two or three years to flesh out the story before even hiring a new Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans