Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    On a serious note, @Mendes4Lyfe : read this conversation that started this morning, all the way through.

You’ve pushed the goalposts way off the original playing field.

The only thing you’ve clearly stated is you really don’t like the Craig Era.

Beyond that, you kinda sound like you’re trying to get other converts to hop on a Craig-Era-Sucks train, and this train hasn’t exactly left the station for you…

Enjoy the films to come, and those made pre 2006. All good.
  • Certainly the Craig era has its own style/aesthetic, but so does every other Bond actors tenure. Heck even Lazenby’s film stands apart from all the other films in the series in terms of style. Seriously how boring would it be if every single Bond film looked and felt the same? I wouldn’t be a fan if that were the case. I’m glad the Craig era didn’t replicate the tone/style of the Brosnan years, just as I’m glad the Brosnan era didn’t replicate Dalton’s tenure, and so on. Let each actor have their own look/feel/asthetic because that’s how you move things forward.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Certainly the Craig era has its own style/aesthetic, but so does every other Bond actors tenure. Heck even Lazenby’s film stands apart from all the other films in the series in terms of style. Seriously how boring would it be if every single Bond film looked and felt the same? I wouldn’t be a fan if that were the case. I’m glad the Craig era didn’t replicate the tone/style of the Brosnan years, just as I’m glad the Brosnan era didn’t replicate Dalton’s tenure, and so on. Let each actor have their own look/feel/asthetic because that’s how you move things forward.

That's exactly what I'm advocating for.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,049
    Certainly the Craig era has its own style/aesthetic, but so does every other Bond actors tenure. Heck even Lazenby’s film stands apart from all the other films in the series in terms of style. Seriously how boring would it be if every single Bond film looked and felt the same? I wouldn’t be a fan if that were the case. I’m glad the Craig era didn’t replicate the tone/style of the Brosnan years, just as I’m glad the Brosnan era didn’t replicate Dalton’s tenure, and so on. Let each actor have their own look/feel/asthetic because that’s how you move things forward.

That's exactly what I'm advocating for.

So then just say that, rather than bringing us on this big epically nonsensical adventure that started off with critiques of the lack of humour and sophistication and ended with the "locations not being used properly".
    When I say the Craig films lack style, I mean they unfold in a very matter of fact manner.

Your misuse of the word 'style' seems to have been a big part of the problem here.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,117
    @mtm you CraigMoore or anyone else in this discussion hasn't given me any examples, you keep saying the Craig films are dripping in style and then list the lighting or set design of a given scene, which is completely besides the point as I've already said many times: what matter is intentionality, and when it comes down to it the Craig films are told in a matter of fact manner, and intentionally so because they deliberately DON'T want to take place in a heightened reality like the old films.

Complete rubbish. I've given you loads of examples which are all about the style and cinematic quality. How is a very tense and impressionistic sequence of Bond stalking a man through a dark maze of reflective glass less stylish than Pierce Brosnan crossing a road? How is a black and white sequence of his second kill intercut with a flashback to the vicious fight of his first, culminating in the first gunbarrel sequence played out in the middle of a scene for the first time and leading into the most stylish and coherent semi-surrealistic title sequence in years, less dripping in style and panache than... Pierce Brosnan crossing a road...?! How is that black and white, noirish sequence, full of dutch angles and tricks with time and place, 'matter of fact'? Just nonsense.
    The only previous time I can think of a Bond film playing with the form of a film in that way is probably the slightly surreal cutaways to sunlight through trees, or the flashback to Tracy getting kidnapped overlaid onto M's window in OHMSS. Maybe the horse's arse flashback in Moonraker, but that's about it.
    'Intentionality' is not what you think it is, and doesn't apply here.

You don't seem to know what you're arguing for, and it's tiring the rest of us out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    @mtm you CraigMoore or anyone else in this discussion hasn't given me any examples, you keep saying the Craig films are dripping in style and then list the lighting or set design of a given scene, which is completely besides the point as I've already said many times: what matter is intentionality, and when it comes down to it the Craig films are told in a matter of fact manner, and intentionally so because they deliberately DON'T want to take place in a heightened reality like the old films.

Complete rubbish. I've given you loads of examples which are all about the style and cinematic quality. How is a very tense and impressionistic sequence of Bond stalking a man through a dark maze of reflective glass less stylish than Pierce Brosnan crossing a road? How is a black and white sequence of his second kill intercut with a flashback to the vicious fight of his first, culminating in the first gunbarrel sequence played out in the middle of a scene for the first time and leading into the most stylish and coherent semi-surrealistic title sequence in years, less dripping in style and panache than... Pierce Brosnan crossing a road...?! How is that black and white, noirish sequence, full of dutch angles and tricks with time and place, 'matter of fact'? Just nonsense.
    The only previous time I can think of a Bond film playing with the form of a film in that way is probably the slightly surreal cutaways to sunlight through trees, or the flashback to Tracy getting kidnapped overlaid onto M's window in OHMSS. Maybe the horse's arse flashback in Moonraker, but that's about it.

You don't seem to know what you're arguing for, and it's tiring the rest of us out.

That’s me applauding in the back row. Well said @mtm … that was quite an experience, reading through these comments…

On one side there was a lot of genuine dialogue and common sense via @CraigMooreOHMSS and yourself (and anyone else who chimed in), then the frustrating non-replies, chaotic and seemingly arbitrary posts from Mendes…
  • echoecho 007 in New York

+1 I saw what you did there. LOL.
    I'd like to see some of the quotes from the filmmakers post-QoS about sacrificing certain things to keep everything "realistic" and "grounded" considering the films themselves tell us a very different tale. There's very little grounded and realistic about NTTD in particular. It's borderline science-fiction in parts, and sometimes clumsily too.

I think "realistic and grounded" is being misinterpreted as "this Bond has a character arc", but if there's quotes from the filmmakers about keeping the overall film realistic then I'd love to read them as I haven't seen them before.

And even at that, I'd still be calling bull on it. After all, I distinctly remember Tamahori talking about the grittiness of DAD at some stage, too.
    It's kinda bizarre that people have heralded the Craig era for years for being so different and unique and then when you point out there's a way those differences can be viewed as a negative you're told they don't exist and you're inventing them.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I get what Mendes4Lyfe is saying, he’s talking about that style of directing which, for example, North by Northwest has - not naturalistic but somewhat contrived… I’m not sure if ‘theatrical’ is the right term, but it’s not really in fashion at the moment for these kind of films. Unless you’re Tarantino, of course - Kill Bill is directed like that.

When he brought up those scene transitions from LaLD (a guilty pleasure of mine, albeit one with a lot of cringe) I knew just what he meant. I love Skyfall, I think it’s lots of fun and is very stylish, but it isn’t in the same style.
    I get what Mendes4Lyfe is saying, he’s talking about that style of directing which, for example, North by Northwest has - not naturalistic but somewhat contrived… I’m not sure if ‘theatrical’ is the right term, but it’s not really in fashion at the moment for these kind of films. Unless you’re Tarantino, of course - Kill Bill is directed like that.

When he brought up those scene transitions from LaLD (a guilty pleasure of mine, albeit one with a lot of cringe) I knew just what he meant. I love Skyfall, I think it’s lots of fun and is very stylish, but it isn’t in the same style.

THANK YOU =D>
    Like the Craig era, less is more sometimes. Thanks for distilling it down into something resembling sense, @sandbagger1. It turns out it was a very simple point in the end after all.

"Different style" equals "no style" to our dear @Mendes4Lyfe.
    Craig films really don't do anything to distinguish themselves from the classic films, it's a myth. :-B

So we can make more stories like the classic films right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That wouldn't work! [-( ~X(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's not exactly the same style (I'm not sure any other Bond film is?) but it's still filled full of style. I'd argue way more, in fact.

THANK YOU =D>

You ask me for examples and just ignore me when I give you them. It's not really worth engaging with this any more.
    I'd like to see some of the quotes from the filmmakers post-QoS about sacrificing certain things to keep everything "realistic" and "grounded" considering the films themselves tell us a very different tale. There's very little grounded and realistic about NTTD in particular. It's borderline science-fiction in parts, and sometimes clumsily too.

I think "realistic and grounded" is being misinterpreted as "this Bond has a character arc", but if there's quotes from the filmmakers about keeping the overall film realistic then I'd love to read them as I haven't seen them before.

And even at that, I'd still be calling bull on it. After all, I distinctly remember Tamahori talking about the grittiness of DAD at some stage, too.

I think there's an interesting conversation (or thread perhaps) to be had on the artistic flourishes and stylistic experiments in Bond films. Funnily enough, since my last post I remember that DAD actually had a couple- a Clash song playing over part of the action, the 'speed ramping' editing tricks: they're pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but it's sort of playing with filmmaking style which I can't think that the series had really done since OHMSS, or the aforementioned horse's arse. Maybe the slightly odd slo-mo bits in TND? The series rarely steps outside of the matter-of-fact, linear storytelling method until CR really.
    Craig films really don't do anything to distinguish themselves from the classic films, it's a myth. :-B

So we can make more stories like the classic films right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That wouldn't work! [-( ~X(

What are you banging on about now? We've asked you to be a bit more cohesive, but it seems like you're unable to do that.
    I think there's an interesting conversation (or thread perhaps) to be had on the artistic flourishes and stylistic experiments in Bond films. Funnily enough, since my last post I remember that DAD actually had a couple- a Clash song playing over part of the action, the 'speed ramping' editing tricks: they're pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but it's sort of playing with filmmaking style which I can't think that the series had really done since OHMSS, or the aforementioned horse's arse. Maybe the slightly odd slo-mo bits in TND? The series rarely steps outside of the matter-of-fact, linear storytelling method until CR really.

That would be a very interesting thread.
  • I really don’t get the “Craig’s films are not stylish” argument. Skyfall is the Bond film with the most distinctive style. And it ain’t even close.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,160
    I really don’t get the “Craig’s films are not stylish” argument. Skyfall is the Bond film with the most distinctive style. And it ain’t even close.

I think people might be confusing style with some nice looking cinematography, but I can assure you, in comparison to most other bond films skyfall is not "stylish".

Another example that comes to mind is how Bond unplugs the camera he's sitting on in TSWLM and the Bond Theme stops playing.

It's not exactly the same style (I'm not sure any other Bond film is?) but it's still filled full of style. I'd argue way more, in fact.

THANK YOU =D>

You ask me for examples and just ignore me when I give you them. It's not really worth engaging with this any more.

Yeah, "Die Another Day" plays with the form of a Bond film in some pretty novel ways for the franchise. It doesn't always work but I admire the desire to push.
    I really don’t get the “Craig’s films are not stylish” argument. Skyfall is the Bond film with the most distinctive style. And it ain’t even close.

I think people might be confusing style with some nice looking cinematography, but I can assure you, in comparison to most other bond films skyfall is not "stylish".

Doubling down instead of improving yourself, are we? Shame.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think when Mendes4Lyfe says Skyfall isn’t ‘stylish’ he means ‘stylized’. Think of the original Star Trek TV show’s acting and directing style - it’s very stylized, exaggerated and theatrical rather than today’s more naturalistic style. That’s the kind of thing he’s looking for I think.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BMB007 wrote: »

THANK YOU =D>

Yeah, "Die Another Day" plays with the form of a Bond film in some pretty novel ways for the franchise. It doesn't always work but I admire the desire to push.

Yes, I suppose the time jump after the PTS, conveying that through the opening titles themselves (something which CR returned to in part, then Skyfall after that I guess) was a bit of boldness. GE had done that as well of course (depicting the downfall of the Soviet Union after Bond and Alec's mission), but DAD takes it a step further by actually showing us what has been happening to Bond.

I think when Mendes4Lyfe says Skyfall isn’t ‘stylish’ he means ‘stylized’. Think of the original Star Trek TV show’s acting and directing style - it’s very stylized, exaggerated and theatrical rather than today’s more naturalistic style. That’s the kind of thing he’s looking for I think.

Which would be absolutely fine if that was what he was actually saying! :))
    Yeah, "Die Another Day" plays with the form
    Yes, I suppose the time jump after the PTS, conveying that through the opening titles themselves (something which CR returned to in part, then Skyfall after that I guess) was a bit of boldness. GE had done that as well of course (depicting the downfall of the Soviet Union after Bond and Alec's mission), but DAD takes it a step further by actually showing us what has been happening to Bond.

I also have no problem with the speed ramping either, to be honest. It was a very early noughties thing but it's not something I ever had an issue with, and DAD uses it quite appropriately for the most part I think.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,160

BANG ON

And I think this is what Craig fans mean when they say the old way of making bond films won't work in the modern day, they mean stylized bond films won't work, which is a premise I find hard to accept given the highest grossing films lately have been Barbie and Top Gun, two of the most stylized blockbuster films in years.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I also have no problem with the speed ramping either, to be honest. It was a very early noughties thing but it's not something I ever had an issue with, and DAD uses it quite appropriately for the most part I think.

Yes it's never upset me. It is mildly pointless, and is dated now of course, but I don't mind old films looking dated. I feel like the slo-mo in TND is possibly a touch more egregious as it seems to be trying to lend a couple of moments more weight, and comes off feeling a touch more cheesy as a result. And I remember feeling that at the time it came out too!

Yes it's never upset me. It is mildly pointless, and is dated now of course, but I don't mind old films looking dated. I feel like the slo-mo in TND is possibly a touch more egregious as it seems to be trying to lend a couple of moments more weight, and comes off feeling a touch more cheesy as a result. And I remember feeling that at the time it came out too!

It also doesn't help that slo-mo as a technique wasn't quite right yet, either. Slo-mo these days is so far advanced compared to slowing down the lower frame rate footage of previous decades. I think we have The Matrix to thank for that in part, thanks to its pioneering use of it. When I see slo-mo from other 90s films I get a weird feeling of watching daytime TV with all the messy motion blur.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Definitely the slo-mo in TND and DAD both shook me during my original viewings. It seemed too much for too little on the screen. It just didn’t make visual story-telling sense to me. I didn’t see the point and it very briefly, took me out of those films.
    Speed tamping and slo-mo are crimes against cinema and I’m thankful that they don’t use those anymore.

BANG ON

And I think this is what Craig fans mean when they say the old way of making bond films won't work in the modern day, they mean stylized bond films won't work, which is a premise I find hard to accept given the highest grossing films lately have been Barbie and Top Gun, two of the most stylized blockbuster films in years.

Yeah old Bond films are in no way stylized as much as Barbie. Obviously you don't think Bond should be similar to Barbie but as one of only two examples I don't think you're succeeding at making your point.
    Univex wrote: »
    Speed tamping and slo-mo are crimes against cinema and I’m thankful that they don’t use those anymore.

Woah, @Univex - you're dismissing John Woo's entire catalogue there, which is a crime in itself! ;)
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 505

But (at least in my personal opinion) Skyfall is the single most theatrical Bond film ever! Examples: the opening shot, the fight in Shanghai, the dialogue between Bond and Silva before the crash of the tube.