Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited September 2023 Posts: 507
    I don't think EON believes product placement is essential. Sure, they absolutely do believe that it's nice that each and every modern Bond film cost them dozens of millions of dollars less than they would have without product placement, but they also know that they all would have turned a profit even without product placement.

Also, the Nolan "brand name" probably does monetarily offset what they would lose by not having any product placement.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    At least since the 90s, it made sense that Eon/MGM would make sponsorship deals because that helped a lot given MGM’s financial troubles. But now after being acquired by Amazon, it’s a whole new dynamic. Now they don’t need sponsorships as much as they used to depend on. No more Heineken, no more Omega watches, no more Aston Martins. If there was a time to do a period piece Bond… it looks like the door is open for that.

Personally I want to keep Bond’s world modern, as that was ALWAYS the conceit even from Fleming. Bond stories were never period pieces. That desire only came about in the 90s once nostalgia for 60s aesthetics became a thing, especially among boomers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2023 Posts: 8,168
    Well the strike is finally over and its time to move full steam ahead with Bond 26. Its already been 2 years since Bond 25 released, if they move quickly they can still meet that November release slot that they like to go for in 2026. Hopefully we'll see some more developments over the coming months. It's exciting that the dormant post-bond film phase is now over and early development of the next entry is officially underway.
  • if they move quickly they can still meet that November release slot that they like to go for in 2026.

Oh, if they move quickly, they can release it before the end of 2025. Let's say Nolan starts writing the screenplay in January 2024, which is entirely possible. Then he can finish the script by summer 2024 and they can start filming by the end of 2024. Boom, then they are on track to release it in November 2025.
    2025 is definitely possible. That or 2026 I would think will be the year.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    edited September 2023 Posts: 6,813
    I don't want no period shtuff*. If Nolan doesn't want to participate because of that, so be it. Whoever he is, they'll probably scare the living daylights out of him.**

* I'm trying to see how many times I can sneak in the word shtuff in a post today. Three so far.
    ** Seems like my posts are mostly driven by quotes at this point, logic be damned.
    I'm embracing the possibilities of period piece on the other hand. Bond has never moved backwards with the films, but I think it could be a nice change of pace for just 1-3 films. At least this way we probably won't be thematically beaten down with the questioning of the relevancy of spies again. Whatever the time setting is, the right route for Bond himself IMO is a la Robert Pattinson Batman. No retreading the very origin, but a youthful Bond still that will mess up and learn much.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'm embracing the possibilities of period piece on the other hand. Bond has never moved backwards with the films, but I think it could be a nice change of pace for just 1-3 films. At least this way we probably won't be thematically beaten down with the questioning of the relevancy of spies again. Whatever the time setting is, the right route for Bond himself IMO is a la Robert Pattinson Batman. No retreading the very origin, but a youthful Bond still that will mess up and learn much.

The problem with a period Bond is that like 999,999,999% of the fandom would instantly hate it.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 3,281
    The happy compromise for EON/Nolan would be faithfully adapting the Fleming novel but in a modern day setting.

Wow! All my Christmases would come at once if that happened. I wouldn't just be back on board as the world's biggest Bond fan, I doubt I'd be able to sleep for weeks with excitement!!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I can just imagine Nolan thinking in his head how he can comprise on period piece vs. modern day Bond and thinking: TIME TRAVEL!

... I really hope not.
  • I can just imagine Nolan thinking in his head how he can comprise on period piece vs. modern day Bond and thinking: TIME TRAVEL!

... I really hope not.

And driving a Delorean rather than an Aston Martin. :D

I mean, I'm gonna watch it either way, but I'd prefer they kept it in the present. It's exciting to see Bond out and about in the present.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,640
    LucknFate wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a return of Blofeld. We had a few scenes with him in SP and something of a cameo in NTTD. That was it. Before that, not counting NSNA and the PTS of FYEO, we'd have to go back to a film that was released 52 years ago. There was more of Blofeld in DAF alone than in the entire Craig era. And Blofeld as the main villain will probably be a decade or more in the past by the time the next film hits theatres.

If anything, Blofeld was severely underused in the Craig era, more of an afterthought than anything else.

The way I see it, Blofeld is still the Joker and Darth Vader of the Bond series. I understand that many people are displeased with how he was written/portrayed in SP -- I'm not a fan of the foster brother thing either -- but that story is over. What I like about Blofeld is that he's a villain of wits, not of muscles (in most versions); he's a lurker in the shadows, not a public figure; and as written by Fleming, he's eloquent, charming, almost a shapeshifting force of evil and possibly Bond's most dangerous foe (though that's difficult to determine). He can easily be remodeled to fit the modern times, and yet played and written completely differently than in SP.

Since DAF, EON's Blofeld has just peaked over the fence for a quick hello, while Gotham City has fought 4 different live-action Jokers in fewer films between then and now. I'm not ready yet to say that I've had enough of Blofeld or seen too much of him in recent times. I haven't, to be honest. I'm still hungry for a delicious comeback of a potentially awesome character that got Bond-blocked by McClory's lawyers way back when. In 2015, I wanted Ernst Stavro Blofeld to finally reappear in the Bond universe, and no matter how much I liked SP, I didn't get anything close to what I wanted. The Waltz Blofeld is more squandered potential than overstayed welcome for the character, IMO. Hence, if they decide to wipe that slate clean and bring back Blofeld, true to menacing form, I'll be more than happy.

I've always been convinced the fandom and very likely this forum are responsible for the Spectre-Quantum retcon and return of Mr White, and Waltz casting as Brofeld. It had been pitched in the Bond 23 production thread even before Skyfall iirc!

I doubt they monitor our discussions at all.

The problem with a period Bond is that like 999,999,999% of the fandom would instantly hate it.

The problem with "fandom" these days is that it hates pretty much everything, which is why fans masochistically send each other videos explaining everything that's wrong with their favorite movies within minutes after seeing them for the first time. If I were EON, "fan reactions" would be the least of my concern. "Fans" got cranky when "James Blonde" was announced in 2005. "Fans" get sick from eating shellfish and want the woman they so disrespectfully refer to as "Babs" fired over it. "Fans" demand that the EON folks sit down with them to "exchange creative ideas".

Nah, I'd make the next Bond film for the casual moviegoer out there. We, the "fans", are too fickle and flammable to worry about. ;-)
  • The guys want a period piece Bond movie set in the 50's? And a second film? The third one? A fourth?

No, we're going ultra slick, ultra cool, ultra modern. New, new, new.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,723
    I don't think the general public will warm to a period piece. Also this is the second time I have heard, from different sources, about the powers that be talking to Nolan with a two picture deal. Sounding more credible all the time.
    The guys want a period piece Bond movie set in the 50's? And a second film? The third one? A fourth?

Ultra modern, then. Dewi, are you ready to get to work?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2023 Posts: 3,394
    I'm against period pieces, why? For me, every Bond actor should represent the era that they're in:

Connery/Lazenby: 60's
    Moore: 70's/early 80's
    Dalton: 80's
    Brosnan: 90's
    Craig: 2000's

So, I think the next Bond actor should do the same, and in my opinion, making period pieces would mean that the Producers are already desperate and running out of ideas on how to create plot in the contemporary world.

Period pieces for me were not authentic in the way those previous Bond eras are, it's still a modern film hiding in a retro/vintage skin, I don't need pretentious films like that.

If the Classic Bond Era (Connery-Brosnan) didn't happened, then I would welcome it, but, since that's the reality, where we've already Bond films set in the past, there's no need to retread an old ground.

What we need is a new and fresh scriptwriters, not changing the direction like making period pieces.

We need bunch of new ideas.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    The guys want a period piece Bond movie set in the 50's? And a second film? The third one? A fourth?

Ultra modern, then. Dewi, are you ready to get to work?

It's not work if you love what you do. Is the world ready for another Bondmania ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I would be open to a period piece knowing that it’ll probably be limited to the actor in the part. After he does his last film, the next guy can bring back Bond to the modern era.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I'm certain it would be a huge publicity boost if they did a period piece. Especially if directed by the biggest director in the world right now. It's immediatly intriguing for the wider audience to have a Bond film that is different from the ones before. In a weird way, it may give them cover to cast a real unknown in the role. If the new actor is the main selling point, you better get a name or a face that makes people immediatly say "Oh, I'm interested in that!" I believe a period setting will make many people intereste, just because it's different from the other Bond films.
    The question is whether a film like that can hold up to scrutiny once people actually see it. Hype and a big opening day are one thing. What really differentiates the good from the great (box office-wise) is word of mouth and the film having legs over a month. And if the verdict out of the first weekend is "it's just Connery karaoke without Connery" there's a problem.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah that’s the thing about period pieces: they invite comparison to Connery. This is a series which has actually had films set in the right period, and you’re never going to get more authentic than those because they were real. BB & MW have said they wouldn’t do period, I hope they stick to that.
  • SIS_HQ wrote: »
    making period pieces would mean that the Producers are already desperate and running out of ideas

Again, according to this rumour it’s Nolan who wants to make it period piece and the producers would prefer a modern day setting.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    making period pieces would mean that the Producers are already desperate and running out of ideas

Again, according to this rumour it’s Nolan who wants to make it period piece and the producers would prefer a modern day setting.

#:-S thankfully, it's just a rumour.

Because if not, he'll be barred from the James Bond Enclosure of mine for life! As much as he's a good director.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah that’s the thing about period pieces: they invite comparison to Connery. This is a series which has actually had films set in the right period, and you’re never going to get more authentic than those because they were real. BB & MW have said they wouldn’t do period, I hope they stick to that.

But for many people today, any film older than say 25 years is just old and not relatable. A film made in the 60s and a modern film set in the 60s are two very different things and I would bet there is a large group of people for whom f.e. something like the UNCLE film with Cavill feels way more "real" or understandable than the original UNCLE TV show, because they are more used to the way the cinematography looks and the pacing and lighting and all of that.

Just to be clear: I also am absolutely in favour of them staying modern. For all of the reasons already mentioned, but mainly for the one @SIS_HQ mentioned: The films represent the era they were made in and are timecapsules. That's one of the most interesting things about the series to me and while you can argue that not actually engaging with anything modern and instead fleeing into nostalgia is just about the most modern thing they could do, I want films to look back on 10, 20, 30 years later and go "oh yeah, that is what the 2020s were like"...
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 3,086
    I mean, simply going from audience preference alone, is there that much desire to see a 50s era Bond film? I know nostalgia is all the range nowadays, but generally speaking it tends to be nostalgia for the 80s, at least amongst younger audiences. Even then I’m not sure beyond fans/these forums there’s much of a desire to see this.

The period piece element would in itself be a publicity boost (I don’t personally believe Nolan’s name is quite as big a draw for the average viewer as many think, as many simply don’t know or care who he is beyond his films) because it’s so different, but it wouldn’t necessarily ensure success. On a fan level I don’t think having it set in the past would even ensure a more Fleming-esque interpretation (the novels themselves are quite modern in spirit I’d argue, representing the era it was written in for all its social/political ills and excitement, which is very similar to the films). Honestly, it’s a bit strange if true that a director quoted about ‘reinventing’ Bond would want to look backwards in this way. If anything it shows a lack of creativity and an inability to imagine this character working beyond a certain time period, which I don’t think is true, nor does it do the franchise any favours.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    The big problem with 50's set Bond now is I doubt they could capture the time accurately, the world was a different place.

As for faithful adapting one of the novels, I'm not really a massive fan of, because we know what's coming. I'd rather pluck passages and scenarios from the novels, that are relevant to the story they're trying to tell. Just please adapt faithfully, I'm looking at you Blofeld's death in NTTD, they butchered that
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would be open to a period piece knowing that it’ll probably be limited to the actor in the part. After he does his last film, the next guy can bring back Bond to the modern era.

It’s funny you mention this; I know that it’s unlikely but I was thinking, what if a period Bond was done as a bridge. Say there is some truth to the Nolan period piece Bond, I can see it a a self contained project, two or three films, that would be followed by a new , modern era, Bond
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't think EON believes product placement is essential. Sure, they absolutely do believe that it's nice that each and every modern Bond film cost them dozens of millions of dollars less than they would have without product placement, but they also know that they all would have turned a profit even without product placement.

Also, the Nolan "brand name" probably does monetarily offset what they would lose by not having any product placement.

Why pay when your sponsors can pay?

Nah, it's just a silly rumor.
    I'm all for Nolan. But not for period pieces, unless they're set in the 50s and invite no comparison to Connery's 60s. And even then, I too think each Bond actor is a creature of his own time, so I'd prefer it if Nolan set the films in the present.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 15,140
    mtm wrote: »

But for many people today, any film older than say 25 years is just old and not relatable. A film made in the 60s and a modern film set in the 60s are two very different things and I would bet there is a large group of people for whom f.e. something like the UNCLE film with Cavill feels way more "real" or understandable than the original UNCLE TV show, because they are more used to the way the cinematography looks and the pacing and lighting and all of that.

It's an interesting point, but I'm not sure the texture of it feeling genuine and a later film just being more enjoyable to a modern audience are quite the same thing. Hopefully not anyway.
    And just the sheer expense of doing it in period feels like a major reason not to. UNCLE is all set in empty back streets and deserted warehouses and clearly doesn't have much cash: just doing the street scenes we see in FRWL in period now would be a big expense they don't have to spend if doing it contemporarily. Look how much the last Indiana Jones film cost.

007HallY wrote: »
    I mean, simply going from audience preference alone, is there that much desire to see a 50s era Bond film? I know nostalgia is all the range nowadays, but generally speaking it tends to be nostalgia for the 80s, at least amongst younger audiences. Even then I’m not sure beyond fans/these forums there’s much of a desire to see this.

The period piece element would in itself be a publicity boost (I don’t personally believe Nolan’s name is quite as big a draw for the average viewer as many think, as many simply don’t know or care who he is beyond his films) because it’s so different, but it wouldn’t necessarily ensure success. On a fan level I don’t think having it set in the past would even ensure a more Fleming-esque interpretation (the novels themselves are quite modern in spirit I’d argue, representing the era it was written in for all its social/political ills and excitement, which is very similar to the films). Honestly, it’s a bit strange if true that a director quoted about ‘reinventing’ Bond would want to look backwards in this way. If anything it shows a lack of creativity and an inability to imagine this character working beyond a certain time period, which I don’t think is true, nor does it do the franchise any favours.

Yes I think if anything it makes Bond less relevant to today, and they need to find a way of doing the opposite.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The big problem with 50's set Bond now is I doubt they could capture the time accurately, the world was a different place.

As for faithful adapting one of the novels, I'm not really a massive fan of, because we know what's coming. I'd rather pluck passages and scenarios from the novels, that are relevant to the story they're trying to tell.

Agreed. Plus we already have pretty close adaptations in the first few films: I don't need to see Goldfinger without Connery, Ken Adam or John Barry, with a boring buzzsaw instead of a cool laser beam, and in a fake, less-believable version of the mid 20th century than the original. Plus with Nolan we'd be getting it without the sexiness or jokes... I do hope it's not true.