Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited June 2022 Posts: 2,901
    Sorry, but can anyone actually tell me what the hell this 'Instagram luxury lifestyle' actually is? Because from what I can tell all it amounts to is rich people posting pictures of themselves on Instagram on their yachts, driving expensive looking cars, sipping gaudy looking cocktails and just generally taking selfies of themselves in sunny looking places...

I mean, a big part of Bond anyway is the clothes, the cars, the locations, and this was the case during the Craig era. Otherwise it's just very specific but potentially empty visuals. It may or may not be relevant to the film nor is it a creative/aesthetic decision.

I'm 25 FYI, and that sort of thing stinks of something a 40+ year old producer would come up with to impress 'da kids'. Just come up with a gripping story that reintroduces Bond. How you do that will take time and work. Also comparing Bond to shows with that Tik Tok/Instargram popularity like Euphoria is nonsensical because Euphoria is a show that people picked up on because a) it's quite relatable to many as it's about teenagers in contemporary society and b) the heightened melodrama is emphasised by the visuals - lots of elaborate camera movements, bright colours, the grainy 35 mm etc. Very different to Bond. It's actually somewhat surprising that Euphoria even managed to capture that zeitgeist.

As for a young Bond, I don't think it works as the story because we know where Bond will end up, especially if it's as early as his Navy days. The film will have to be very referential to what audiences know about Bond - and this will be through the films. Ignoring it will make it... well, not a Bond film. One of the Craig era's biggest failures is that it relied too heavily on the iconography of previous Bond films and didn't do anything new with them. They even tried to do the whole 'young Bond' thing initially in CR and it didn't pan out. For better or worse I suspect we'll get a reboot but for the best potential for drama, I'm pretty sure we'll have to have Bond as a 00.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Sorry, but can anyone actually tell me what the hell this 'Instagram luxury lifestyle' actually is? Because from what I can tell all it amounts to is rich people posting pictures of themselves on Instagram on their yachts, driving expensive looking cars, sipping gaudy looking cocktails and just generally taking selfies of themselves in sunny looking places...

I mean, a big part of Bond anyway is the clothes, the cars, the locations, and this was the case during the Craig era. Otherwise it's just very specific but potentially empty visuals. It may or may not be relevant to the film nor is it a creative/aesthetic decision.

I'm 25 FYI, and that sort of thing stinks of something a 40+ year old producer would come up with to impress 'da kids'. Just come up with a gripping story that reintroduces Bond. How you do that will take time and work. Also comparing Bond to shows with that Tik Tok/Instargram popularity like Euphoria is nonsensical because Euphoria is a show that people picked up on because a) it's quite relatable to many as it's about teenagers in contemporary society and b) the heightened melodrama is emphasised by the visuals - lots of elaborate camera movements, bright colours, the grainy 35 mm etc. Very different to Bond. It's actually somewhat surprising that Euphoria even managed to capture that zeitgeist.

As for a young Bond, I don't think it works as the story because we know where Bond will end up, especially if it's as early as his Navy days. The film will have to be very referential to what audiences know about Bond - and this will be through the films. Ignoring it will make it... well, not a Bond film. One of the Craig era's biggest failures is that it relied too heavily on the iconography of previous Bond films and didn't do anything new with them. They even tried to do the whole 'young Bond' thing initially in CR and it didn't pan out. For better or worse I suspect we'll get a reboot but for the best potential for drama, I'm pretty sure we'll have to have Bond as a 00.

Well said.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Well said.

For me, it is as simple as this - I don't think the producers will repeat by doing what they just did for the past five films. The pendulum should swing.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

I sometimes think and say something along the lines of the "instagram style"-thing, but honestly, I can't really put a finger on it.
    The charge that this is something an older producer would come up with to be hip, is certainly one that sticks, eventhough I am not 40+ either. So that certainly has to be taken into account.
    I think, what it comes down to for me is that somehow the Craig era, especially since Skyfall, has felt just kind of old. In Skyfall that is of course by design and it is fantastic and with Bond in general, there is that great history, so that is probably always built in a bit, but SP and NTTD especially feel like films made by 50+ year olds with a lot of disposable income, for 50+ year olds with a lot of disposable income. They are still good enough (well, NTTD is) that other audience groups are drawn to them as well, but to me that has really been the target demographic for Eon/Bond for the last 10 years.
    That doesn't mean I want the next Bond to wear Balanciaga or Supreme, or that all iconography should be thrown out, but a younger actor, some fresh locations and costumes and plots that maybe don't all revolve around retirement, family, legacies and haunted pasts would go a long way to make the films feel fresher.

I sometimes think and say something along the lines of the "instagram style"-thing, but honestly, I can't really put a finger on it.
    The charge that this is something an older producer would come up with to be hip, is certainly one that sticks, eventhough I am not 40+ either. So that certainly has to be taken into account.
    I think, what it comes down to for me is that somehow the Craig era, especially since Skyfall, has felt just kind of old. In Skyfall that is of course by design and it is fantastic and with Bond in general, there is that great history, so that is probably always built in a bit, but SP and NTTD especially feel like films made by 50+ year olds with a lot of disposable income, for 50+ year olds with a lot of disposable income. They are still good enough (well, NTTD is) that other audience groups are drawn to them as well, but to me that has really been the target demographic for Eon/Bond for the last 10 years.
    That doesn't mean I want the next Bond to wear Balanciaga or Supreme, or that all iconography should be thrown out, but a younger actor, some fresh locations and costumes and plots that maybe don't all revolve around retirement, family, legacies and haunted pasts would go a long way to make the films feel fresher.

I suspect the series was in a similar place when Moore left the part. Everything felt a bit old, younger viewers weren't as interested, but the series was still generally successful. I think these things straighten themselves out with a new actor, but again the Producers need to put in the work to come up with a new vision for the next era of the series.

Anyway, I agree. There's certainly a fatalism to Craig's later films. For what it's worth SF is generally well regarded among people my age, often by those who don't like Bond films. I'd argue it's because of the strength of its story and perceived quality (especially in comparison to its successors).

Anyway, let's see. My gut instinct is that the budget for the next film will be smaller after NTTD. Apart from that anything's fair game. I certainly hope elements of the Craig era are retained while others are retired. NTTD especially had a streak of the fantastical within it (the Cuba SPECTRE party, Safin as this otherworldly, revenge stricken villain, the nanobots etc.) mixed with these rather dark moments that I'd like to see them have another crack at. Ideally with a tighter, more grounded story with less fatalism/more humour. Bond having an arc/personal stuff hinted at as a character is fine, especially nowadays, but I don't think going into his past is required and I'd like to see him as the flawed, enigmatic secret agent (who often functions similarly to a hardboiled detective rather than a Le Carre esque spy). A younger Bond is good too, and I hope the films are less referential to the 60s Bond films going forward. The clothes, gambling, cars, exotic locations, gadgets (should they be grounded enough to work with the tone/be integrated into the story) are great. More erotism - not necessarily sex as this is something older demographics generally bang on about and aren't necessarily the same thing. Bond in the books often sleeps with one or occasionally no women. A well written femme fatale Bond girl, great chemistry between her and Bond etc. This is what I'd personally like to see, but again it's one of many directions they can go in.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

I suspect the series was in a similar place when Moore left the part. Everything felt a bit old, younger viewers weren't as interested, but the series was still generally successful. I think these things straighten themselves out with a new actor, but again the Producers need to put in the work to come up with a new vision for the next era of the series.
    I was still young when Moore left the part, and there was no feeling amongst my age group the the franchise itself felt old, just that Moore, whilst very popular, was too old for the role. The rumour was that Lewis Collins (from The Professionals) would be taking over, and there was a certain amount of enthusiasm for that. But we waited and waited and it didn't happen - A View to a Kill came out with Moore still in the part. The film still seemed fun, helped I think by the hit hit theme from Duran Duran. There simply wasn't the same amount of competition that there is now.

When Dalton got the part, nobody knew who he was. It was great to have someone young in the role, but Dalton didn't have the easy star quality that Moore had. These days everyone praises him, but at the time he was considered lacking - the general public was used to Moore's in-on-the-joke style of superhero, and Dalton was so much more serious. I didn't enjoy TLD that much (still don't), but I thought LTK was great, and that Dalton worked much better in that much more serious story. One of my friends from 6th form at the time rolled his eyes at the mention of Dalton and said he wasn't as cool as Roger Moore was, and that was a not uncommon view as I remember it.

I do remember the enthusiasm when Brosnan took over, and he had a similar light touch to Moore, though he could play it more serious, too. Amazing how quickly his films became so forgettable, though.

I don't think Eon will have a good idea of which direction to take the films in. Or what kind of Bond they want. My guess they will be arguing amongst themselves as much as we are.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    There's an interesting debate about adaptation/continuation and honouring the past in here. The thing about those 60s movies is of course that they weren't looking back. Quite the contrary, they were ultra-modern and young and dare I say hip, for the era. The rate of change in technology and society has changed and there is retro nostalgia to contend with, so the comparison is a bit facetious, but f.e. Sean Connery's Bond wouldn't have been seen dead in a 50 year old car, the way Craig constantly used the DB5. Literary Bond of course also drives a used, slightly older car, but still a modern one that is a reasonable sports car for the time.
    So then one could argue that one way to honour, continue and emulate those early films isn't to take original things from them and planting them in the 21st century, but to try and replay what they were and meant at the time. Thrilling, sexy, funny blockbusters that paved the way for a whole genre and an enduring series. The obvious problem is that that is for more easily said than done and again, with the rate of change we experience currently, you'll most likely end up with something like the Brosnan era, where you have f.e. a lot of "futuristic" tech that looks way more goofy now than any of the stuff in Connery or Moore's films.
    Now I am just rambling. I guess what I want for them to try is to be thoroughly modern and for Bond to be in his prime.
    It's a tricky one. As was mentioned being 'modern' in whatever sense has the disadvantage of one day becoming dated, especially when following trends. It really depends on what one means though and how it's implemented. Does modern even mean 'futuristic'? Arguably very little of it would be about technology but about things like character, story, how Bond himself is depicted etc.

A good example is the Bond girls. Obviously a few have had their share of criticisms and audiences expect something a bit more from female characters in this series. It's been like that for a while. We've had the 'Bond's equal' trope during the Brosnan era (Jinx, Wai Lin etc) as a way of modernising this aspect of the series but it's debatable how well it worked. That's why I mentioned having a more femme fatale style Bond girl - one who has agency in the story, has flaws, goals of her own as well as agency in the story, but isn't designed to be 'cool' or 'strong' as such. Arguably that's honouring the source material if it's a character in the vein of Tiffany Case or Honey Rider (from the novels).
    There's an interesting debate about adaptation/continuation and honouring the past in here. The thing about those 60s movies is of course that they weren't looking back. Quite the contrary, they were ultra-modern and young and dare I say hip, for the era. The rate of change in technology and society has changed and there is retro nostalgia to contend with, so the comparison is a bit facetious, but f.e. Sean Connery's Bond wouldn't have been seen dead in a 50 year old car, the way Craig constantly used the DB5. Literary Bond of course also drives a used, slightly older car, but still a modern one that is a reasonable sports car for the time.
    So then one could argue that one way to honour, continue and emulate those early films isn't to take original things from them and planting them in the 21st century, but to try and replay what they were and meant at the time. Thrilling, sexy, funny blockbusters that paved the way for a whole genre and an enduring series. The obvious problem is that that is for more easily said than done and again, with the rate of change we experience currently, you'll most likely end up with something like the Brosnan era, where you have f.e. a lot of "futuristic" tech that looks way more goofy now than any of the stuff in Connery or Moore's films.
    Now I am just rambling. I guess what I want for them to try is to be thoroughly modern and for Bond to be in his prime.

It was not 50 years old at the time, but cars had undergone SIGNIFICANT change, when Connery's Bond went on a picnic with Sylvia Trench at the beginning of FRWL, w/an old Bentley. It was true to the books, sure. Even so, your points are very well taken ! Besides, what proves a Rule as well as an Exception ?!?
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 4,600
    I like the idea of seeing Bond before he was 007 but it does present challenges re "the formula". Perhaps the PTS provides a chance to see Bond as part of special forces team during a daring raid/mission? (something similar to the Iranian Embassy siege?) it would be something different re a PTS (TLD pts had that kind of feel) and masks/goggles provides an opportunity for the "new Bond" to be introduced to the audience. Some sort of link/call back could then come into play with the main movie after the titles (example: Bond visiting the grave of a team member who was killed during the operation or a reunion of the team in a gentlemans club) or one or two of the team went on to be mercenaries working for the villain (yes, I know, pure cheese)

On a wider note, surely, TG-M shows that the audience yearn for a simpler, more traditional adventure movie where emotion has it's place but action, cheering and flag waving are the main ellements. The irony (to me at least) is that these should be easier to write than the complex, intertwined, episodic scrips from the DC era. I dont think it would happen but I would bet that, in a quiet moment, McQ has re-imagined Bond in this way and added huge potential to maintream audiences and takings. Linked to this, for that direction to work, IMHO, we need a younger actor who shares the boyish charm and acting skills of Cruise (thats a tough call) but thats on another thread.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    patb wrote: »
    I like the idea of seeing Bond before he was 007 but it does present challenges re "the formula". Perhaps the PTS provides a chance to see Bond as part of special forces team during a daring raid/mission? (something similar to the Iranian Embassy siege?) it would be something different re a PTS (TLD pts had that kind of feel) and masks/goggles provides an opportunity for the "new Bond" to be introduced to the audience. Some sort of link/call back could then come into play with the main movie after the titles (example: Bond visiting the grave of a team member who was killed during the operation or a reunion of the team in a gentlemans club) or one or two of the team went on to be mercenaries working for the villain (yes, I know, pure cheese)

Yeah I'd like that.
    patb wrote: »
    On a wider note, surely, TG-M shows that the audience yearn for a simpler, more traditional adventure movie where emotion has it's place but action, cheering and flag waving are the main ellements. The irony (to me at least) is that these should be easier to write than the complex, intertwined, episodic scrips from the DC era.

I think doing it as well as TG:M does it looks deceptively simple and it requires a great deal of skill.
    They have kind of done the whole 'Bond's past mission links into the current adventure' thing in GE too. I'm down for mercenaries in a Bond film though.

And yeah, I think audiences want something a bit more escapist, especially after how heavy and 'personal' the latter half of the Craig era was. Still though, it does require actual creative decisions to be made and isn't just a case of 'big budget, big action scenes'. Again, you can still have a relatively grounded Bond adventure that leans into the fantastical, perhaps has a touch of darkness in places (LALD and DN being examples). You'd still have to have 'emotion' and character arcs, but they'd touch on different things than the latter half of the Craig era.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited June 2022 Posts: 652
    Above all, they need to go back to standalone films. The Bond series doesn't need continuity and the producers aren't good at executing it, anyway. Also, no more Freudian nonsense, villains with parental issues, "looking into Bond's soul," digging into his past, blatantly copying other franchises, questioning Bond's legitimacy, overdone emotional beats, shock deaths, or in general any of the hack writing that ruined the Craig era.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    We can hope @slide_99 , but life disappoints.
    While stand-alone adventures and not retreading character ideas that were explored in the Craig era are needed going forward, I think we're going to see some sort of emotional beats and what could be termed as 'looking into Bond's soul'. For what it's worth I felt SF was rather understated in how it handled Bond's past. We only see Skyfall towards the end of the film, the death of his parents gets brief mentions, and Bond himself actively refuses to talk about it. It's more along the lines of how Bond's past handled in GE - it's not the main focus of the story but it's there. Much of the impact it has on Bond is unspoken.

Now, there's no need to explore this again. I do feel Bond should be more of a 'mysterious dark stranger' in the next one, but even Fleming's Bond had struggles. There's a few times where he considered quitting the Service altogether, his cynicism towards his job was always there, and of course there's his dislike of killing in cold blood/the idea of assassination. Such ideas are ripe for being explored in a future film. Not to mention the many goals and backstories of Bond girls within the novels.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 15,818
    I think the next Bond needs to
    "Peeeeeeeeel back certain layers to his character. See what hidden demons may be lurking'.

pb-bond-intro-press-june94-13.jpg
    While stand-alone adventures and not retreading character ideas that were explored in the Craig era are needed going forward, I think we're going to see some sort of emotional beats and what could be termed as 'looking into Bond's soul'. For what it's worth I felt SF was rather understated in how it handled Bond's past. We only see Skyfall towards the end of the film, the death of his parents gets brief mentions, and Bond himself actively refuses to talk about it. It's more along the lines of how Bond's past handled in GE - it's not the main focus of the story but it's there. Much of the impact it has on Bond is unspoken.

Now, there's no need to explore this again. I do feel Bond should be more of a 'mysterious dark stranger' in the next one, but even Fleming's Bond had struggles. There's a few times where he considered quitting the Service altogether, his cynicism towards his job was always there, and of course there's his dislike of killing in cold blood/the idea of assassination. Such ideas are ripe for being explored in a future film. Not to mention the many goals and backstories of Bond girls within the novels.

Agreed ! There are some great scenes in the books - or enough there upon which to amplify - that were barely used or not used at all in the films. That's fine - FRWL is terrific though it presents just enough of Tania with the villain to appreciate what the villain wanted from her, for example. But the great scene in TB the novel, wherein Domino and Bond spend some quiet time together and she makes a story out of what she sees on a cigarette pack is interesting and has its own charm. I get that TB the movie wanted no such slow-downs, and had enough of the non-action scenes. But, as you say, these sort of things could be explored. Additionally, bring back Sylvia Trench ! Both she and Bond knew, I believe, that each of them was free to pursue interpersonal fun with other folks, yet they still were there for each other in their own way. I would not call it simply Friends With Benefits, but it seemed to be along those lines.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Now, there's no need to explore this again. I do feel Bond should be more of a 'mysterious dark stranger' in the next one, but even Fleming's Bond had struggles.

Personal struggles would be fine, but entire movies shouldn't be centered around them. I thought TWINE did this well. Bond and Elektra have an intense relationship but it never gets in the way of the movie itself.

And yes, Bond needs to become more anonymous again, someone who is defined by his actions and not his past, his emotions, or his inner world. He needs his spiritedness and charisma back, something that's been completely lacking since at least QOS. Starting with SF, watching Bond was like watching a gravedigger.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    The problem with being inspired by other people’s ideas, like Tarantino’s retired Bond or a more dramatic take on the role like Brosnan wanted, is that you lose the contextual and complementary creative decisions that made those ideas viable to the ideator in the first place. Its why too many rewrites of a script or non-auteric films loose the spark of the initial vision.

CR and QoS were great at making the character emotional instead of introducing canon for plot’s sake. I don’t see how revisiting his birth home or making Blofeld his step brother added any depth to the character. But the way they dealt with the love, betrayal and revenge of Vesper was masterful subtle character building and well woven into the story.
    Good grief! Set him free. Enough melancholy over his lost loves--which, BTW, I feel are the best two films in the entire series. Unburdened him from the cliches of lingering demons, broken relationships, alcohol abuse, nut job half brothers, doubts and the rest of the mumbo jumbo that passes for depth of character. When we first saw Bond in DN, he certainly wasn't burdened with the baggage he later picked up, especially during the DC era. Reboot this series from its roots.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Now, there's no need to explore this again. I do feel Bond should be more of a 'mysterious dark stranger' in the next one, but even Fleming's Bond had struggles.

Personal struggles would be fine, but entire movies shouldn't be centered around them. I thought TWINE did this well. Bond and Elektra have an intense relationship but it never gets in the way of the movie itself.

And yes, Bond needs to become more anonymous again, someone who is defined by his actions and not his past, his emotions, or his inner world. He needs his spiritedness and charisma back, something that's been completely lacking since at least QOS. Starting with SF, watching Bond was like watching a gravedigger.

Brosnan's dodgy acting always got in the way of much of TWINE for me ("He knew about my shoulder, knew where to HURT me?" etc.)

Again, I feel it's more of a case of finding out what to explore with Bond's character. I agree with others, the foster brother subplot in SP felt needlessly dramatic and added nothing. Bond is still that mysterious figure in SF, even with the hints of his backstory (which were well established in other books and films incidentally). He simply came off as more a Byronic hero, which is fine and is always there with Bond to an extent. I don't want every film to attempt this, and I think the SP subplot with Blofeld went way overboard with these concepts and descended into silliness.

I love the early Bond films, especially the Connery ones, but I don't think we're going to see Bond as a straightforward 'flat' character like that again simply because modern audiences engage with onscreen heroes differently nowadays and are willing to call BS on certain things. It's boring too. Arguably making him like this is antithetical to the source material (over time I've personally come to hate moments like Bond killing Dent in cold blood in DN because of how interesting Bond's conflict about assassination was in the novels). Not sure where the gravedigger thing comes from - the Bond of Craig's iteration can be stoic, but Craig played the role with charisma and humour too. While I dislike SP Craig does have that Connery in GF coolness to him, and in NTTD Bond becomes weirdly more 'talkative' after his retirment. But yeah, Bond can certainly be less broody but still be a rounded, interesting character with an air of mystery around him.
    I read somewhere that they made up dialogue as they filmed NTTD, which might explain Craig straying away from character. In his defence, old age hasn’t suited any actor in the role.

While BB and MGW insist they decide the direction first, I think it depends a lot on the actor. I see some that could pull off the Sean Connery swagger, some that would be comfortable with a more dramatic take, some that would be able to do both, and some neither.
    I read somewhere that they made up dialogue as they filmed NTTD, which might explain Craig straying away from character. In his defence, old age hasn’t suited any actor in the role.

While BB and MGW insist they decide the direction first, I think it depends a lot on the actor. I see some that could pull off the Sean Connery swagger, some that would be comfortable with a more dramatic take, some that would be able to do both, and some neither.

Yeah, I think they did so for Bond/Safin's encounter during the climax. Apparently it wasn't working as written... which is odd as what we ended up with doesn't work either, muddles Safin's character and boarders on cliche.

Yeah, I think much of the direction depends on the actor. Certainly was the case with Craig.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, Malek said that the original scene wasn't working, so Fukunaga gave him and Craig a day off so that they could sit in a room and thrash out the dialogue for the Bond-Safin-Mathilde scene.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    I enjoyed Craig's less grim performance in NTTD after the PTS. I know it was a jump but it was entertaining enough for me to go along with it.
    I haven’t liked Craig’s Bond since the beginning of Skyfall. There just isn’t any finesse to the material he was given. It’s not his fault.

I think Brosnan would have been better suited for a film like Spectre.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited June 2022 Posts: 652
    Great article on the issues of Bond 26.
    https://screenrant.com/james-bond-26-reboot-no-time-die-difficult/

Key points:

While Bond’s death might seem the perfect foundation for a reboot by wiping the slate clean, this was not deemed necessary for Casino Royale.

How Bond 26 shall set the tone for 007 is already set to suffer because its story somewhat relies on a reset to the franchise – whether this reset is a partial or complete one is currently unclear. Bond 26 cannot pick up where No Time To Die left off, but it also cannot ignore the significance of audiences having witnessed 007’s death.

Bond 26 has the difficulty of following a successful arc with the requirement of incorporating change: a lack of tonal distinction, after all, would make Bond’s death seem even more incongruous.

If Bond was to die, only to have the character return to cinemas with much of the same tone and personality, it would be hard to understand what distinguishes a Bond film from other action films.

Yes. The Craig era being its own continuity doesn't justify NTTD. Babs and MGW thought killing off Craig's Bond, Brofeld, and Felix would make it easier to start fresh with Bond 26, but it's actually the complete opposite, just as Brosnan's Bond dying at the end of DAD would have made CR feel very strange.

Bond being played by different actors over many decades is a far cry from killing the character and then resurrecting him. Multiple continuities doesn't give EON a license to cheat. Basic rules of logic still need to be followed. After all, you're still telling the stories of one man... or are you?

Which brings me to this point: everyone hated/hates the idea of James Bond being a code name. But what's the difference between that and having multiple James Bonds living completely different lives? Now it appears we have three different people named James Bond. James Bond A (Connery through Brosnan) fought during and after the Cold War and lost Tracy to Blofeld. James Bond B (Craig) only became a 00 after 9/11, didn't marry Tracy, had a kid with Madeline and Blofeld as an adoptive brother, and then was killed in a missile strike. Presumably James Bond C will have a completely different life narrative, as well.

Again, how is that different from the code name theory? If you're going to have multiple James Bonds whose lives have nothing to do with one another you might as well just use the code name idea.

The only way I can envision Bond 26 working is if NTTD is severely retconned. They cannot simply ignore Bond 25 by appealing to the "different continuity" argument.

The only way I can envision Bond 26 working is if NTTD is severely retconned. They cannot simply ignore Bond 25 by appealing to the "different continuity" argument.
    '

Of course they could always go the 'Dallas' dream season route when actor Patrol Duffy exited the series in a fiery crash. A year later, after he determined leaving a successful series was not a wise choice, the producers brought Duffy's character back by wiping out an entire season by passing it off as a dream. In Bond 26, Moneypenny could pop awake, report to work and tell the new young Bond that she dreamt he was old, had a child, and was blown up.

Start fresh as if the previous 60 years hadn't happened.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Or people will show up to enjoy a Bond film rather than ponder the consequences of Bond dying in NTTD. Why? Because they’re not hung over it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Key points:

While Bond’s death might seem the perfect foundation for a reboot by wiping the slate clean, this was not deemed necessary for Casino Royale.

How Bond 26 shall set the tone for 007 is already set to suffer because its story somewhat relies on a reset to the franchise – whether this reset is a partial or complete one is currently unclear. Bond 26 cannot pick up where No Time To Die left off, but it also cannot ignore the significance of audiences having witnessed 007’s death.

Bond 26 has the difficulty of following a successful arc with the requirement of incorporating change: a lack of tonal distinction, after all, would make Bond’s death seem even more incongruous.

If Bond was to die, only to have the character return to cinemas with much of the same tone and personality, it would be hard to understand what distinguishes a Bond film from other action films.

Yes. The Craig era being its own continuity doesn't justify NTTD. Babs and MGW thought killing off Craig's Bond, Brofeld, and Felix would make it easier to start fresh with Bond 26, but it's actually the complete opposite, just as Brosnan's Bond dying at the end of DAD would have made CR feel very strange.

Bond being played by different actors over many decades is a far cry from killing the character and then resurrecting him. Multiple continuities doesn't give EON a license to cheat. Basic rules of logic still need to be followed. After all, you're still telling the stories of one man... or are you?

Which brings me to this point: everyone hated/hates the idea of James Bond being a code name. But what's the difference between that and having multiple James Bonds living completely different lives? Now it appears we have three different people named James Bond. James Bond A (Connery through Brosnan) fought during and after the Cold War and lost Tracy to Blofeld. James Bond B (Craig) only became a 00 after 9/11, didn't marry Tracy, had a kid with Madeline and Blofeld as an adoptive brother, and then was killed in a missile strike. Presumably James Bond C will have a completely different life narrative, as well.

Again, how is that different from the code name theory? If you're going to have multiple James Bonds whose lives have nothing to do with one another you might as well just use the code name idea.

I don’t understand the theory that they killed him for the sake of B26; I think they just did it for an ending to B25.