Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    matt_u wrote: »
    On its first 4 days Maverick in the US almost topped NTTD’s entire gross.

Bond must find a way to make the US audiences interested again, especially the young.

Any film with nostalgic elements that markets heavily does well due to lack of competition in this day and age.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I wouldn’t set the bar with TOP GUN. Even the original film was a much bigger hit than the Bond films of the 80s. A year after AVTAK came out, the original 1986 film made $200 more.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Guys the point is that Bond must be stronger within the US market in the future. Adjusting for inflation DAD obliterates all Craig films with the only exception of SF. That speaks volumes. NTTD’s US performance has been the only disappointing one in the world and the US market is where studios keep the highest percentage of a film’s gross.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    Guys the point is that Bond must be stronger within the US market in the future. Adjusting for inflation DAD obliterates all Craig films with the only exception of SF. That speaks volumes. NTTD’s US performance has been the only disappointing one in the world and the US market is where studios keep the highest percentage of a film’s gross.

The casting announcement will generate huge buzz by itself if it’s a big name, a controversial pick, or an intriguing unknown actor. Which will wane off if the trailer isn’t good and the premiere is set too long after (anticipation only applies to fans).

People will definitely talk about the film, and it will have a high minimum of ticket sales. Now if you can make it glamorous, action-packed, suspenseful and sexy with a good script and a few big name actors in the mix, the people who went to see it will recommend it. It has to please several different audience groups (with the young woke crowd being the hardest imo.). But I think it will garner a global audience if it isn’t banned because of geopolitical sensitivity.

I reckon the conversation would go:

- “Have you seen the new Bond?”

- “No not yet, was it good?” or “Was the new actor good? Better than Craig?”

The question is: How do you get people to say it was amazing and that he is the best Bond yet? How do you get people to make memes about it.

You might be able to skirt quality with a known director with an established fan base like Nolan, or household actors like Cavill/Pattinson/Fassbender or Margot Robbie. But it might kill the brand in the long run and make it seem like another superhero movie, or it might be absolutely necessary to even contend with marvel/warner.

It’s a hard call.

• Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited May 2022 Posts: 554
    Bond adapts to the times, it always has - Blaxploitation and LALD, Star Wars and MR, Bourne and CR etc. The key is that it has to maintain a degree of it's own identity while doing so. Look at QoS, people thought it aped Bourne too much and didn't respond as well.
    It's an interesting time as I'm not sure if there's any specific direction that would ensure financial and critical success for the series, especially in America. I mean, what can they do, make the Bond series more like Marvel films? Ok, how? There are many of them, often very different from one another. Heck, I'd argue aspects of the new Spiderman film aren't that different to what they were doing with Craig's films (ie. the element of nostalgia/harkening back to previous films, adding more 'humour'/tonal contrasts, a remarkably high budget etc.) The flip side is something like the new Batman film which, while a great film to look at for successfully rebooting a franchise, isn't one I'd want Bond 26 to emulate tonally.

I guess the main thing they need to do is to consciously reintroduce the series to younger audiences. No cheap gimmicks like casting Henry Cavill or overinflated budgets/gaudy special effects. No nostalgia for the 60s films either. We need creative decisions that will come across as interesting and fresh, especially when it comes to advertising the film. What these creative decisions will be and how they're presented is the main thing to worry about.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2022 Posts: 5,958
    I've been a Bond fan for a while, and the "we're losing younger audiences" complaint has been around since at least the '80s. Probably earlier. I don't think the complaint means very much.

There are always other films, other sequels, that do more business than Bond. But eventually, these franchises die out.

Yet Bond has survived.
    Bond hasn’t been the biggest franchise on the block since 60s Bondmania. Since then, we’ve seen bigger and more successful franchises come and go.

For example, DAD was the highest grossing film of the Bond franchise in 2002 unadjusted, and in the same year LORD OF THE RINGS and HARRY POTTER each doubled that gross.
    NTTD in the US grossed only $30M more than in the UK. That’s ridiculously bad. It’s clearly not only about younger audiences not caring about the character in the States. Going forward they need to improve their performance in the US because like it or not it’s still the biggest market in the world for Bond and because, like it or not, 20 years ago the worst Bond movie ever grossed more than what four out of the five last entries did.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,161
    In terms of the Bond franchise, Americans don’t want to have to remember a storyline from six years earlier. That has never been the appeal, regardless of Marvel. The idea, the forced idea, that the Craig years were a unified saga never sat well or caught on with American audiences. Hence the success of CR and SF, independent masterpieces, accessible to the casual viewer and diehard fan alike; followed by the disinterest in the other entries.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Well we should thank European audiences then.

EoN must find a balance between keeping the release of a Bond film an event without forcing themselves into too much longer hiatus between chapters, especially since they already confirmed that the next era will deal with a continuity driven storyline. At least with Amazon financing we won’t witness longer gaps because of MGM’s financial troubles.
    Wait, Skyfall made 300 million dollars in the US? What a mystery. Lol.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Cubby and Harry course corrected when an entry (OHMSS versus YOLT, or TMWTGG versus LALD) made less than its predecessor, or at least change their approach. This current duo is dead set on doing the opposite, doggedly determined to have their "neatly" wrapped saga, whether audiences are game or not.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Cubby and Harry course corrected when an entry (OHMSS versus YOLT, or TMWTGG versus LALD) made less than its predecessor, or at least change their approach. This current duo is dead set on doing the opposite, doggedly determined to have their "neatly" wrapped saga, whether audiences are game or not.

Sadly I feel that is a major reason the productivity will likely continue to decrease, even with a new actor in the role. I wouldn't be surprised if a full decade or more goes between Bond entries with Eon expecting the general audience to remember the plot details of the previous film.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,871
    @Birdleson I'm not always a fan of MGW/BB's creative decisions (heck, I'd say the same about a lot of Cubby and Saltzman's choices too) but is there not a case that they've also done a similar amount of course correcting when needed? I mean, during Brosnan's era the box office earnings came in higher with each film (although arguably GE and many of its creative decisions can be viewed as a course correction after LTK). CR is definitely a course correction from DAD, not because it earned them less money than TWINE did but because fans and reviewers criticised many of the elements that they felt didn't work. They seemingly listened. The result was a very different Bond film and one of the most favoured films of the series among fans and general audiences.

Even after QOS they took extra time to prepare SF, made it a stand alone film, leaned into the nostalgia/classical Bond film elements for the 50th Anniversary (which some fans felt was missing in Craig's first two films), while at the same time keeping it 'down to earth' and tonally in line with Craig's previous films. It was a huge success. NTTD also irons out many of the issues people had with SP and earned them better reviews and higher earnings.

I mean, there's actually a case to be made that MGW and BB are just as savy, if not better than Cubby was in this area.
    Maybe Bond is not woke enough for the US.

;)

Bond must find a way to make the US audiences interested again, especially the young.

I guess also because Maverick is a far superior film to NTTD in just about every aspect too - gripping, emotional, some of the best action sequences ever seen on film, and the most important factor - feelgood movie. The film hits those 80's notes again, and you leave the cinema on an absolute all time high.

With NTTD, you are subjected to a dejected lonely Bond, silly nanobot plots, Felix dying, Bond becoming a father and yet having it cruelly taken away from him in the end when Bond dies. NTTD seems to want to punish the character, which makes for miserable viewing for some, the action sequences were too few, and the film was too long.

Overall, you leave the cinema on an absolute low, which is not good for a popcorn action flick.

edited May 2022 Posts: 8,021
    Overall, you leave the cinema on an absolute low, which is not good for a popcorn action flick.

Not every Bond film needs to be fist pumping at the end. I loathe this sentiment because it basically further confines Bond into strict formula with no leeway. If Bond films were that strict about formula, we’d never have OHMSS. And I don’t even think NTTD’s ending is as much of a downer as OHMSS. But then again, I don’t really view Bond as some kind of wish fulfillment or something worth being aspirational.
    NTTD was lacking in many aspects.

I guess also because Maverick is a far superior film to NTTD in just about every aspect too - gripping, emotional, some of the best action sequences ever seen on film, and the most important factor - feelgood movie. The film hits those 80's notes again, and you leave the cinema on an absolute all time high.

With NTTD, you are subjected to a dejected lonely Bond, silly nanobot plots, Felix dying, Bond becoming a father and yet having it cruelly taken away from him in the end when Bond dies. NTTD seems to want to punish the character, which makes for miserable viewing for some, the action sequences were too few, and the film was too long.

You missed the bit where you start ranting about gangsters and rape scenes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Guys the point is that Bond must be stronger within the US market in the future. Adjusting for inflation DAD obliterates all Craig films with the only exception of SF. That speaks volumes.

That is the only metric where DAD beats the Craig films though; globally you have two of them each making close to double what DAD brought in, inflation-adjusted.

You missed the bit where you start ranting about gangsters and rape scenes.

Surely you lot are bored of me ranting about gangsters and rape scenes. You don't want me to keep repeating myself endlessly, do you?

Not every Bond film needs to be fist pumping at the end. I loathe this sentiment because it basically further confines Bond into strict formula with no leeway. If Bond films were that strict about formula, we’d never have OHMSS. And I don’t even think NTTD’s ending is as much of a downer as OHMSS. But then again, I don’t really view Bond as some kind of wish fulfillment or something worth being aspirational.

OHMSS is the exception, not the norm, and I only make allowances for that tragic ending because Fleming wrote it, and also because Bond didn't die.

But give me winking fish, Maggie Thatcher in her kitchen, Moore keeping the British end up, beeping keyrings, Connery on a rubber dingy, any time over that abomination in NTTD.

And yes, I do find Bond aspirational. I thought most fans walk out of the cinema after a Bond film walking that bit taller, wanting to mimic the panther walk, or exuding macho coolness. With NTTD, Craig's Bond was a tragic character that you felt sorry for, and took pity on instead.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,923
    007HallY wrote: »
    CR is definitely a course correction from DAD, not because it earned them less money than TWINE did but because fans and reviewers criticised many of the elements that they felt didn't work. They seemingly listened.

They also felt it themselves - they were already worried about xXx and then, during the production of DAD, BB, MGW and Lee Tamahori went to see The Bourne Identity. I think it was Tamahori who said they came out feeling like 'we were dead in the water'! DAD was massively successful and Brosnan still hugely popular, but they obviously thought they were running out of road and took a major detour. They then veered back a bit after QOS (unfortunately!). This willingness to change course is one reason it's hard to gauge how they'll go this time around.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

OHMSS is the exception, not the norm, and I only make allowances for that tragic ending because Fleming wrote it, and also because Bond didn't die.

Bond has only died once (in Eon films anyway!), it's not the norm. The Fleming thing I can't understand to be honest, I don't decide on whether I like something or not based on the identity of the writer alone.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

But give me winking fish, Maggie Thatcher in her kitchen, Moore keeping the British end up, beeping keyrings, Connery on a rubber dingy, any time over that abomination in NTTD.

And yes, I do find Bond aspirational. I thought most fans walk out of the cinema after a Bond film walking that bit taller, wanting to mimic the panther walk, or exuding macho coolness. With NTTD, Craig's Bond was a tragic character that you felt sorry for, and took pity on instead.

With the exception of NTTD, I walked out of each Craig film with some sort of high. If I hadn't been on a time crunch during opening weekend of CR, i would have went right back in line to see it again. Even with the lesser Craig films ala QOS and SP, it was nice to see his character get closure over the Vesper/Quantum angle and him in Madeline riding off into the sunrise in SP. Even if they weren't as great of Bond films, I never walked out feeling pissed or sad as I did after NTTD.

Eventually, I accepted the fate and understood it from a character and plot point to some extent, but it would have been a top 10, maybe even a top 5 without the death ending because I enjoyed so much of it up until the final 15 minutes or so.
    mtm wrote: »

Bond has only died once (in Eon films anyway!), it's not the norm. The Fleming thing I can't understand to be honest, I don't decide on whether I like something or not based on the identity of the writer alone.

It's not the norm, but it shouldn't have been done just once either. When comparing NTTD to Top Gun, the two films are light years apart. Bond has a lot of catching up to do.

As for Fleming, its a personal thing with me. I'm not usually big on author's control over movies, or sticking rigid to a novel for adaptation. I think Kubrick's decisions over King's for The Shining, for example improved the movie, and the affair between Hooper and Brody's wife in Jaws was best left out of the film.

But when it comes to Bond, its the only time I really want the source material to be in as much as possible, as I do think Fleming was gifted in creating stories that adapted perfectly to cinema (most of the time). Whenever the films stray too far from Fleming, I feel the franchise looses its way slightly.

But hey, that's just me.

With the exception of NTTD, I walked out of each Craig film with some sort of high. If I hadn't been on a time crunch during opening weekend of CR, i would have went right back in line to see it again. Even with the lesser Craig films ala QOS and SP, it was nice to see his character get closure over the Vesper/Quantum angle and him in Madeline riding off into the sunrise in SP. Even if they weren't as great of Bond films, I never walked out feeling pissed or sad as I did after NTTD.

Eventually, I accepted the fate and understood it from a character and plot point to some extent, but it would have been a top 10, maybe even a top 5 without the death ending because I enjoyed so much of it up until the final 15 minutes or so.
    Same.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

It's not the norm, but it shouldn't have been done just once either. When comparing NTTD to Top Gun, the two films are light years apart. Bond has a lot of catching up to do.

No it's fine, and it's twice if you count OHMSS.
    Yes, it would be great if every Bond film was as good as one of the best films in years, but they do try.
    As for Fleming, its a personal thing with me. I'm not usually big on author's control over movies, or sticking rigid to a novel for adaptation. I think Kubrick's decisions over King's for The Shining, for example improved the movie, and the affair between Hooper and Brody's wife in Jaws was best left out of the film.

But when it comes to Bond, its the only time I really want the source material to be in as much as possible, as I do think Fleming was gifted in creating stories that adapted perfectly to cinema (most of the time). Whenever the films stray too far from Fleming, I feel the franchise looses its way slightly.

But hey, that's just me.

He was great, but I think the films have exceeded him at several points; I'm happy to take everything on its own terms and not just because he did or didn't write it.
    Do you need to watch the original Top Gun to get Maverick?