Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,979
    I can certainly see why it's not everyone's bag, but the death of M did hit me emotionally, as it felt like a good resolution of the childhood trauma that made Bond. Again, it's easy to see why this isn't everyone's cup of tea in a Bond film, but they went for it, and I think they executed it well.

Also (we were discussing the Spectre teaser in another thread), the Skyfall teaser with the word association, and then "Skyfall... done..." was so brilliant. A seemingly random title, and then seeing Bond's reaction to it, and then the final reveal in the film, I thought it was so brilliant. For me at least, I was dying to know what Skyfall meant.

Vesper's death hit me more viscerally because it was very agonizing to watch her drown in that manner. Less sad, but more just shocking. Again, though, very effective IMO.

Yes I agree, those are all great moments and really effective.
    I don't find any Bond movies tedious, I like them all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I always want to look away from Vesper's death. A real credit to Eva Green I think.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I must say I hate that bit where she gulps out her last breaths - not sure how she did that.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,932
    My favourite scene of the Craig era.

The shower scene in CR, man - O.M.F.G.! We'd seen what a badass he was and then to see him capable of that? Genuine and with no ulterior motives? Instant depth to CraigBond, just from that one short scene. Dan and Eva sold it perfectly too. That's why it was so jarring to see the stills from the set, with Campbell sat on the bog watching it from a few feet away and Eva Green laughing her head off at the end of the take! Wish I'd never seen those photos, tbh - spoiling the movie magic, goddamnit! ;)
    Bond's big "I love you" speech in NTTD is right up there with the Tarzan yell for me. I was like "oooh, stop, don't do it!"
    Bottle it up, man. Drown it in booze and killing, like a good Bond.
    Brooding in a darkened room, drinking alone, loaded gun on a low table in front of him. I'd've liked some of that in the Jamaica scenes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not sure he needed one in Jamaica- is he going to shoot the fish? :)

To be honest I always found that scene in Tomorrow Never Dies where he's doing that to be a bit posed and forced.
    Bond's big "I love you" speech in NTTD is right up there with the Tarzan yell for me. I was like "oooh, stop, don't do it!"
    Bottle it up, man. Drown it in booze and killing, like a good Bond.

I'm with you on that one.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,526
    mtm wrote: »

Seems like the type to have one anyways. Always looking over his shoulder and what not.

He pretended to shoot a mouse once when he was on the grog, so who knows? I thought there was good potential for some brooding, neo-noir in Jamaica, but thinking about it that sort of scene would've been more likely near the start of the five year gap not the end of it.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Seems like the type to have one anyways. Always looking over his shoulder and what not.

And he actually did have one! Just in a fancy secret drawer.

And he actually did have one! Just in a fancy secret drawer.

Yeah I know, I just thought, it made sense that he would have one.

Too bad though that we lost that harpoon.
    It certainly would have been nice to see him use it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I'd love to know what happened to that harpoon shot.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The “I love you” speech was one of the most beautiful scene of the Craig era. The writing, the setting, the cinematography, Craig’s acting. The score, with nods to the title song. All top notch.
    I liked it too, but again it's easy to see why a scene like that is highly divisive among Bond fans, IMO.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Divisive? After 15 years from the “I have no armor left” speech coming from a rookie Bond? No way.
    Alright.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Divisive? After 15 years from the “I have no armor left” speech coming from a rookie Bond? No way.

To be fair, I've seen plenty of people making fun of that scene too (I like it, myself).
  • peterpeter Toronto

To be fair, I've seen plenty of people making fun of that scene too (I like it, myself).

I love that line.

Ppl can make fun of it but delivery and meaning is where the emotional punch comes into play
    I like both lines. But to me it's still easy to see how these lines would be divisive among Bond fans, given what we got in the past twenty films. I don't know how a person wouldn't be able to see this.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 1,007
    It was the "you stripped it from me" line that I didn't like in CR. Most of the other romance stuff was okay. I'm not against Bond professing his love, but it was the 'heart on my sleeve' way he did it in NTTD that made me cringe.

That doesn't work. It's like saying Brexit wasn't divisive, just because you have an opinion on leaving the EU.
    I reckon NTTD will become the most divisive Bond film in years to come, unless EON come up with something even more ground breaking/stupid than killing him off. I wouldn't put it past them, to be honest.
    So it’s all about execution? That confession comes from a man consumed by remorse and cursed by his own nature. It’s beautiful, earned and emotional. Bond’s confession to Vesper was a bigger shock and twist at that time, for a thousands reasons. I don’t want to even reply to the pointless Brexit comparison.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If seeing Bond profess his love is never anything what you want to see in a Bond film, then I suspect it doesn’t matter how well it’s executed. Same with Bond dying. For some fans, it’s unacceptable no matter what. Which is too bad.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    If seeing Bond profess his love is never anything what you want to see in a Bond film, then I suspect it doesn’t matter how well it’s executed. Same with Bond dying. For some fans, it’s unacceptable no matter what. Which is too bad.

Always a case of one man's poop is another man's treasure.

I don't mind it. I quite like seeing the human side and how he wrestles with it.

This is pretty much it. For me, it's nice to be reminded of his emotions/fallibilty. For some, they don't watch Bond films for that (and that's fine too). That alone is why it's divisive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It seems bonkers that we're debating whether something is divisive in a conversation where some folks have said they like the thing and others have said they don't.
    It seems bonkers that we're debating whether something is divisive in a conversation where some folks have said they like the thing and others have said they don't.

It's a divisive subject, whether or not something is divisive. I'm sure we can all agree on that.
    Or, are some people of the opinion that's it's not divisive?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Among general audiences? Probably not, because most audiences don’t view Bond the way hardcore fans do, and it’s among hardcore fans where NTTD is divisive. There’s fans who regard the old formula to be something of a warm blanket, because they always knew they could rely on Bond films not deviating from it. At least during the Cubby era, that was mostly true. Then there’s divisive movies like LTK and NTTD that break the formula in a way that it takes that warm blanket they enjoyed wrapping themselves in and seeing it set it on fire by the filmmakers.

I’d love to have a time machine so I can show NTTD to fans in 1985 and see how they react.

The appreciation of that scene is not exactly 50/50 inhere…