I've had an epiphany - Nobody does it better. It is the best Bond song ever.

edited August 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782
From the piano intro to the soaring strings, to the disco drums and even the bragging lyrics. It just sums up Bond films perfectly. It really is an anthem that makes me cheer and whop whoop for Bond. This song more than any other puts a smile on my face and convinces me that the Bond films were doing something special, they brought excitement and escapism to our day to day normal reality.

This song has crept up ON ME slowly and now it really does hold me. I'm not a fan RM Bond films but damn it, his era gave us the best Bond song and some of the best Bond stunts that made Bond movies the talk of the world.

I just can't understand it? But the more I listen to it the more I love it. Is it because it makes me hark back to a Bond film era where I was in awe and in child like wonderment of what was up on the screen?

More than anything, it's also made be realise I don't like this modern real word Bond we have now. I want the escapism, i want the wow, I miss it and I want it back. That's my epiphany. I was all for a more down to earth Bond after the silliness of the last half DAD, but where's the style and where's the glamour gone? Even PB's films gave us a bit of this x factor Bondness.

Thanks Marvin Hamlisch, Carole Bayer Sager and Carly Simon and I even love BOND 77, unbelievable.

Comments

Nice post and a good read! That was from the heart man.

I agree with you, NDIB perfectly sums up the romance side of Bond, particularly that of Roger Moore's Bond. It's a breathtaking song and Carly Simon does a wonderful job. Of course Shirley Bassy does it better... ;-) But I can't compare this tune to the great Barry pantheon. It simply stands out on it's own. Beatiful song.
  • I agree. It doesn't sound like a Bond song as its pretty relaxed (no shirley bassey and loud trumpets) but it's pure Bond. My favorite opening title.
    Is it the best Bond theme ever? Damn right!!!! ;)
    Darn good theme song. Right up there with the best!
    Best btw is GF. honorable mention DAF. Best lyrics goes to TB - slam dunk.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,782
    We have the British tax man to thank for this song. Barry abstained from his duty due to the high taxes at the time, so left the country for a while.

Funny that - I wonder how it would have turned out if he was on board. Bond 77 has a touch of Barry prob deliberate but still a top version especially if you see how it works with the second best Bond stunt of all time; the Union Jack parachute jump. Genius.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Great topic. The piano is beautiful in this song.
  • It's up there with the best & as the song goes, nobody does it better - you can't argue with that!