Goldeneye by Matthew Parker

I enjoyed Pearson's 1966 biography of Fleming although I found it quite sycophantic. He was way too respectful to the family and largely ignored Fleming's dark side.
Lycett's more recent tomb was all encompassing and gave a warts and all review of his life but was quite light on the actual writing of the Bond novels. Bizarre really - particularly given that 007 is the whole reason we are interested in Fleming in the first place. What's more,
his book is long and dull and I had to summon all my enthusiasm as a Fleming completist to finish it.
After Lycett's book I had some hesitation starting Parker's book but I'm so pleased I did - it's fabulous and probably the definitive work on Fleming and Bond as it focuses on the writing of the books at Goldeneye. What sets it apart is that it serves as a great study of the most interesting part of Fleming's life whilst giving a parallel history of Jamaica over the years that he visited.
It makes for a fascinating read. Fleming clearly loved Jamaica and its people and was at his happiest when he was writing there and the picture Parker paints of the pre and post colonial world and its influence on Fleming and his character Bond is quite intoxicating.
As a frequent visitor to Jamaica, I know the country quite well and Parker captures it perfectly. This is a great book and an absolute must for any Bond fan.

Comments

• Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed reading Pearson's biography for its quality of prose and revealing insights on many aspects of Fleming's life. I will certainly look into Parker's work.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,896
    I enjoyed Pearson's 1966 biography of Fleming although I found it quite sycophantic. He was way too respectful to the family and largely ignored Fleming's dark side.

He had no choice. In order to write the most comprehensive biography possible at the time, he needed the cooperation of the Fleming family to access letters and interview those closest to Fleming. Without the family's aid his book would have been no better than the two or three previous biographies, which relied on press-clippings. That he even managed to get the family's cooperation was a miracle, because Ann Fleming was hardly enthusiastic about the project. Take a look at what she writes in her letters, before and after the book's publication:
    The Sunday Times are being most kind to me for helping an unknown called John Pearson to write Ian's life. Alas, cautious speech is not for me, Mr Pearson thrives on nervous giggles and floods of indiscretion, he leaves me to tears and dreadful exhaustion and goes home well pleased. Great bouquets of flowers arrive from Leonard Russell [literary editor of the The Sunday Times] thanking me for my cooperation, and I wake in the night with screams of guilt.
    It's rather nice to talk of the happy past, in the late thirties Ian was known as 'Glamour Boy' and in the war as 'the Chocolate Sailor', but how can this poor young man understand that jokes were prompted by hopeless love? I don't understand myself...

J. Pearson's book revolts me, and I am distressed that I played any part in it - but it will soon be over and forgotten, though one day I would like a very short appraisal of Ian to be written, though heaven knows who by - the truth is immediately forgotten. I am grateful for letters from Alan Ross and Frankie Donaldson saying the letters to me were not a breach of taste but added [they] proved Ian capable of real feeling, and not a bit like the rest of the book, a bit of Bond fantasy. I have had guilt in showing them to the rabbit Pearson, who became a ferret.

Upon reading Ann's reactions, Pearson had the following response:
    I'm sorry Ann found me such a "ferret" although I suppose it's what a biographer has to be, and sorrier still to have been the cause of such distress of which I was genuinely ignorant. Odd I was so "unknown" to her, as I was originally hired by Ian for The Sunday Times and worked as his assistant there for several years. As for my Life of Ian Fleming, the reader will soon discover that far from being just 'a bit of Bond fantasy' it was a solidly researched account of the whole of his extraordinary life and career. Re-reading my references to Ann I find it quite incomprehensible why she found them so objectionable. Presumably remorse, which I hadn't thought afflicted her. And of course she found everything to do with poor old Bond vulgar and more or less contemptible.'

It should therefore be obvious that Pearson's hands were tied and he did the very best he could within those restraints. Thanks to the Fleming family's cooperation he learned far more than previous biographers, but to write about everything he learned would have prevented the book's publication and brought forth the nuclear fury of a maddened widow. As it is, his book remains the best-written biographical work on Fleming.
    Lycett's more recent tomb was all encompassing and gave a warts and all review of his life but was quite light on the actual writing of the Bond novels. Bizarre really - particularly given that 007 is the whole reason we are interested in Fleming in the first place. What's more, his book is long and dull and I had to summon all my enthusiasm as a Fleming completist to finish it.

I agree that Lycett provided too little information on the writing of the novels and too much on everything else, but the excess of information shows that he wrote a biography whose breadth will remain unsurpassed. Thanks to him, Fleming's life is an open book.
    After Lycett's book I had some hesitation starting Parker's book but I'm so pleased I did - it's fabulous and probably the definitive work on Fleming and Bond as it focuses on the writing of the books at Goldeneye.

Parker's book is indeed excellent (my lengthy review is here) and required biographical reading. That said, one should note that he relies heavily on Pearson, Lycett, and Mark Amory's anthology of Ann's letters. And speaking of letters, we might have a new addition to the required reading shelf: The Man with the Golden Typewriter: Ian Fleming's James Bond Letters, edited by Fergus Fleming. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1632864894/)

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    A fine post is that @ Revelator very good read Thankyou.
  • Bravo @ Revolator. A very informative post and a great review. I love literary007.com, it's a great site.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Great as usual, @Revelator! Another text to be print and reread! Thanks also to @TriggerMortis for starting this interesting topic. I'll have to read Parker's now!!