Will we know the 25th Bond film title when the end credits of "SPECTRE" roll?

2»

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I want The Hildebrand Rarity to be used in Craig's tenure.

If it wasn't already a Fleming title most fans would be bemused by it, never mind regular cinema goers. I'd rather they capture the essence of Fleming as opposed to using a title just for the sake of it.

I actually think it is a brilliant title. Old-fashioned and mysterious.

I like it, but I wouldn't want it used for the sake of shoehorning in a Fleming title. It works in the context of the book, but as you say it has an old-fashioned quality to it, where I feel the films should feel up to date. It feels like it's of its time. Something like Risico feels like it would work whatever the context, or whenever the time.

Of course I'd love to see it use providing they find the right context. I always saw the Hildebrand Rarity as a MacGuffen.

Yeah, it seems like the only way, or at least best way, they could use it.

If it wasn't already a Fleming title most fans would be bemused by it, never mind regular cinema goers. I'd rather they capture the essence of Fleming as opposed to using a title just for the sake of it.

How can you say this, especially since "The Hildebrand Rarity" captures the essence of Fleming BECAUSE it's a Fleming-title :-).

I personally loved "Quantum Of Solace", and people don't have any problem with the, ehm, 'rarity' of a poster once the tags '007' and 'James Bond' are attached to it.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,512

How can you say this, especially since "The Hildebrand Rarity" captures the essence of Fleming BECAUSE it's a Fleming-title :-).

I personally loved "Quantum Of Solace", and people don't have any problem with the, ehm, 'rarity' of a poster once the tags '007' and 'James Bond' are attached to it.

What I'm saying is, I'd prefer they used a title that captures the essence of Fleming over one that is shoehorned in because it's Fleming. If there's obvious context to it, fine. I like QoS as a title (although it's well down the list of great Fleming titles), but they ruined its impact by naming the organisation Quantum. Most viewers missed the logic of it. Most people clamour for Fleming because it's Fleming. It should be story first, title second. Not the other way around.

What I'm saying is, I'd prefer they used a title that captures the essence of Fleming over one that is shoehorned in because it's Fleming. If there's obvious context to it, fine. I like QoS as a title (although it's well down the list of great Fleming titles), but they ruined its impact by naming the organisation Quantum. Most viewers missed the logic of it. Most people clamour for Fleming because it's Fleming. It should be story first, title second. Not the other way around.

With that I agree. There should be a logical link of the title with the narrative. It should have context to it. Absolutely.

But in a way every Bond film had that bit of context. I prefer for instance how the title "Quantum Of Solace" was used over "The Spy Who Loved Me". The latter one sounded way too dramatic, romantic and serious. This is also seen in the main titles. But in the actual film however that "Spy who loved him" was a rather dull character. Anya didn't even come close to Tracy or Vesper.
    We are off topic. I agree that story should come before title on principle, but then again... sometimes authors find the title before the story (allegedly Anthony Burgess and A Clockwork Orange, for example).

That said, regarding the OP, if the title for Bond 25 is revealed at the end of SP, they need to have a pretty good idea what Bond 25 will be about and stick to it.