Dr. No vs. Live and Let Die vs. License to Kill

edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
Check out some of the similarities between these three Bond movies that aren't as lively as the others:
-DN and LALD feature Bond's house for the only times
-DN and LTK feature Bond using a Beretta for the only times
-LALD and LTK feature David Hedison as Felix Leiter
-DN and LALD are the only two that don't feature Desmond Llewelyn as Major Boothroyd, that is, until his retirement.
-LALD and LTK feature drug dealers with big plans for their products
-DN and LALD have Quarrel and Quarrel, Jr.
-DN and LALD feature the main villain with a doctor title

Those are some of the ones I've noted. Now seeing how related they are, where do they fall in your rankings? Here are my thoughts on the matter:

(1) Live and Let Die
(2) License to Kill
(3) Dr. No

LALD and LTK for me go through a constant cycle of which gets the better position, while Dr. No generally stays where it is.

Comments

• Ah very true @00Beast. I always recognized the similarities between DN and LALD but never linked them to LTK. Except for the fact that the shark scene was taken directly from LALD the novel. But I don't think LTK and DN have much in common.

1) Licence to Kill
    2) Live and Let Die
    3) Dr.No
    DoubleOhhSeven said:
    But I don't think LTK and DN have much in common.

Well, the thing with the Beretta is one, but I see what you mean. It links more with LALD, which links with DN, so I guess I just string the three together. However, all three are more low-key Bond movies, with no grand plots and over-the-top elements. Also, all three begin with a fellow agent being either murdered or critically injured in Felix's case, which leads Bond to his mission.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    001) DN
    002) LTK
    003) LALD
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DN
    LTK
    LALD
    1) LTK
    2) LALD
    3) DN

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    1) DN

2) LTK

3) LALD
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1) LTK
    2) LALD
    3) DN

I agree with you !

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. LTK
    -----
    2. DN
    -----
    -----
    3. LALD
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    DN
    LALD
    LTK
    DN
    LTK
    LALD
    LTK
    DN
    LALD
    Looks like I'm the only one who put LALD at the top! X_X
    Also, I didn't know that a lot of people prefer DN to the other two. That's a bit of a shocker, honestly.
    Looks like I'm the only one who put LALD at the top! X_X
    Also, I didn't know that a lot of people prefer DN to the other two. That's a bit of a shocker, honestly.
    It shouldn't be Beasters, DN is after all the inspiration for all that followed and the first truly modern action movie. (don't ask me to explain what I mean, I'm too tired ;-) )
    You and me 00Beast are in the minority over DN and TLD - it's been like that for 4 years for me !!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    1. Dr. No
    2. Licence To Kill
    3. Live And Let Die
    @barryt007: Nice to see some back-up! Hahaha. Thanks for the support!
  • 1: Dr. No
    2: Live and let Die
    3: Licence to Kill (I actually don't really like this film, other than for Dalton, it feels TOO violent)
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 565
    1:License to Kill
    2:Live and Let Die
    3:Dr. No

It's interesting the parallels with Dr. No and LALD. Hmm...

BTW this really ain't news...
  • do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
    1. LALD
    2. Dn
    3. LTK
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Kill, No, Die
    @JamesStock: Hahaha! Whoops. I'll try to fix that. #-O
    You and me 00Beast are in the minority over DN and TLD - it's been like that for 4 years for me !!
    We all occasionally feel that way . I'm one of the few anti Dalton peeps on here, I have yo live with that B-)
    @NicNac: Hey, it's all good! Everyone's got their perspective.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm one of the few anti-Craig scallywags too... I can only think of timmer...
    @DaltonCraig007: I used to be an anti-Craig, but I've lightened up a lot. He's not my favorite, second, or third, but he's still good in my book.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    My only issue with being that way is if we have a sizable change in direction for the films to come, these people won't be able to see the difference, they'll be blinded by their dislike of Craig. It'll be quite silly if a "classic Bond" returns. Obviously the established tone will remain.

Though I don't think many realise Craig is a good actor anyway...
    What do all three of these have in common? They are all the weakest of the entries of each respective actor. With that said, they are not necessarily weak films, just compared to the others by the actor, they're not as good. Other wise I don't see much of a comparison--actually, location wise they do all happen in a tropical northern American/Carribean oceanic locale. Water and boats are featured in all.

1. DN: Connery's most dry and hard-boiled detective film. A good film, just not a very exciting one
    2. LTK: A strong entry. Dalton is great, it's just not as rich of a story as TLD
    3. LALD: Kudos to Tom M.'s whacky characters and dialogue. Just a little flat and dated story wise. It doesn't feel very much like a Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If he picked TLD instead of LTK, then it would have been all three initial Bond films in the respective actor's list.
  • LTK>>>DN>>LALD
    After having watched LTK yesterday, my ranking changed to:
    LTK
    LALD
    DN