Has being a Bond fan made you a supporter of extra-judicial killing/state-sponsored assassination?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited June 2015 in Literary 007 Posts: 17,816
I've been thinking about this a lot of late so I thought I would start a thread on it to gauge the views of other Bond fans. I realise that the subject matter is a little bit controversial. The thread is not meant to invoke controversy, however. Let me say that from the get-go.

What I want to know is does your being a literary/cinematic James Bond fan make you more in favour of state-sponsored assassination (also referred to as extra-judicial killing) by spies/secret agents/special forces etc. against certain individuals (a recent example in the Navy SEALS assassination of Osama bin Laden in May 2011). President George W. Bush wanted the CIA agents to have a "licence to kill" in the hunt for Osama bin Laden after the Al-Queada September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center Twin Towers, the Pentagon and the attempt to crash into the White House:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/22/afghanistan.terrorism6

Obviously, Ian Fleming came up with the idea of the "licence to kill in the line of duty" first and no doubt based it on his wartime experiences as Assistant to the Director of Naval Intelligence for the duration of World War II and in particular on his 'Red Indians' in the 30 Assault Unit as well as with the Special Operations Executive (SOE). Ian Fleming himself famously suggested several ways that the CIA might assassinate Fidel Castro (including making his beard fall out and giving him explosive cigars).

There were several plots to kill Hitler during World War II and the SOE trained the two assassins who killed Reinhard Heydrich in Prague in the then Czechoslovakia (but which had the terrible consequence of the vengeful Nazis obliterating the Czech town of Lidice and everybody and everything in it).

On the other (anti-Western) side of the coin, during the Cold War the Soviets of course murdered defectors and traitors and we see this happening more recently in the cases of the Bulgarian dissident writer Georgi Markov in September 1978 in London with a pellet containing the toxin ricin fired from an umbrella and Alexander Litvinenko in November 2006 with the radioactive poison Polonium 210, only to be found in Russian scientific labs. SMERSH was of course a Soviet liquidation organ of terror during World War II and it found its equivalents in the NKVD and the KGB (and perhaps even the FSB).

So, are we as Bond fans in favour of state assassination by the UK, the US or their allies (which is of course against international and state law which forbids assassination as a state policy) or are we opposed to it? Is it better for it to remain in James Bond's fictional world or should it encroach into the real world that we, as Bond fans, inhabit?

Either way, I'd love top hear your views as I'm greatly interested in this as a topic of discussion.

Personally, I'm in favour of a controlled level of state assassination such as in the cases of Hitler or more recently Osama bin Laden but that said I of course realise there are inherent dangers if this evil power is abused by a government or intelligence chiefs. I'm against the use of the death penalty, however, as I see that as a separate matter and anyway too many innocents have lost their lives in the past.

I hope that we can all have a civil discussion about this, as I feel it is important. :)

Comments

This is the nature of the shadow war.
    Agents of enemy sides target and kill, each other for strategic reasons.
    I've no problem with this whatsover. Any member of Isis leadership taken out would be great. One less bomb maker in the world is always a good thing despite what M says in CR! Taking out Vladimir Putin though may be tricky.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's always been done, even way back in the middle ages. So I don't really
    Have a problem with it , if it saves lives and government safe guards are
    In place.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Right we are not at war with Russia, so the west being implicated in any assassination attempt would be a diplomatic disaster and might even start a war.
    However we are at war with ISIS, or as well as we can define them.
    We have to trust our intelligence services to do what it takes to keep us safe from enemy attacks and also be able to idenitfy such enemies be they individuals, nation-states or hostile organizations.
    This may involve pro-active action, as we see in Fleming's OO7 books, as much as Bond detests such work eg TLD.
    So with regards to the original post, I am not really pro or con, per se.
    But if the threat is real, we need to deal, and not just by playing defence.
    But this again is the nature of the shadow war. We the public are not going to hear about what's going on.
    Our agencies though are presumably accountable to bureaucratic oversight, within the context of official secrets acts etc. We can't very well have the spy agencies acting as rogue, unaccountable operations either.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    True Bond doesn't like killing but takes a pride in doing it well.
  • RC7RC7
    DrGorner wrote: »
    True Bond doesn't like killing but takes a pride in doing it well.

Unlike these pricks, who love killing and absolutely revel in it. This is what happens when carrying guns is a human right.

The difference between Bond and the soldiers in that video is that Bond is not a soldier.
    A soldiers job is to engage and kill enemy combatants, which is what those soldiers are doing, in methodical, clinical fashion - taking out enemy combatants armed with AK47's and RPGS.
    In world war II allied soldiers were tasked with killing every German soldier they encountered. That's the job.
    Whether those soldiers enjoy the work or not, I don't know. The solider profession would attract some bad apples, and also the nature of the work would have the effect of making some guys kinda crazy.
    War is a bad deal. No doubt about that.
    Soldiers though are required to engage and kill the enemy.

Bond on the other hand is shadow warrior. He has license to kill, but Fleming made it clear Bond was a reluctant killer, almost to a fault sometimes (DN, TMWTGG)
    Bond would kill if the job called for it, but he had a distaste for professional assassin cold calculated wet work.
    Bond preferred to task mission and kill who needed killing in execution of mission. Mission was first, killing was secondary.
    With soldiers though the mission is to identify and kill the enemy. Combat.
  • RC7RC7
    timmer wrote: »
    A soldiers job is to engage and kill enemy combatants, which is what those soldiers are doing, taking out enemy combatants armed with AK47's and RPGS.

They're actually taking out Reuters journalists with long lens cameras. My point being, Bond would never make such a mistake and revel in such ignorance. This wouldn't have come to light without Wikileaks. So while I condone a certain level of state controlled assassination, we have to be vigilant. The video I posted isn't even close to being comparable with a WWII scenario, it's just gung-ho idiots doing the 'World Police thang'.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My answer to the OP's question is no. Bond, much like Dirty Harry or Batman, is a character of almost unerring ability to identify the bad guys, and deal with them accordingly. In real life the lines are often blurred and hard targets are few & far between. The wild west mentality of shoot first & ask questions later gets innocents killed. And I'd rather have a scumbag live because killing him might entail the deaths of scores of innocents because in the end, he can live to die another day (minus the collateral damage).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Terrorist like ISIS have to die before they deliberately keep killing innocent people ..whether Christian Jewish or Muslim. They like to kill and that's that.

And no I have no problem seeing someone whom wants me dead die.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I have no problem seeing someone whom wants me dead die.
    ISIS doesn't know who you are, and they have neither the means nor the technology to affect you in any possible way. ISIS is a problem for another continent, and if you wish to back up people who ARE in danger, fine, but let's keep the MSM hyped hysteria in THIS area of the world under control, okay?
    :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    This is a complex question, and there are no easy answers. A lot of good points have been mentioned here already and I'll add my view, which incorporates some of what's been said before.

A part of me says yes. Why?....because it's increasingly difficult to locate bad guys these days (even with new surveillance techniques and powers). The world is full of bad actors who increasingly want to do harm, so one should be able to assassinate them when they are located.....since if one doesn't they can disappear off the radar and then commit bad deeds. For example, the US knew where Bin Laden was hiding in Afghanistan pre-911. If they had taken him out then, 911 may not have happened.

A part of me says no. Why?.....because inevitably these powers will be abused...."absolute power corrupts absolutely", and government bureaucracies have a bad record when it comes to intelligence gathering accuracy and abusing power. The risks are high that one could make a mistake, kill the wrong person, ignore collateral damage and harm to innocents, and not do the proper due diligence beforehand.

It's almost become too easy these days, with some soldier sitting thousands of miles away remotely controlling a drone. So as the consequences of error become less, so does the risk of overreach and malfeasance by government operatives.

Where does it end? What kind of assassinations will be approved next? Will be able to kill those who's political views we disagree with?

Power must be kept in check - it must be observed closely, monitored & there must be punishment for abuse. Easier said than done....

I agree that Bond is a special case. He's a special operative. A highly trained individual with a license to kill in the course of his duties to further his mission and objectives. He's good....very good. However, he's a fictional character. His level of perfection is not the norm.....it's not even the exception....it's almost impossible to be as good as he is, and even he makes mistakes.

So while the ability to stop your enemies before they come after you is a commendable one, it should only be allowed with very clear guidelines, control, accountability and oversight by the highest levels of government.
    There should be limitations on how long this information should be kept secret as well, in order to ensure accountability to the public and prevent those who may choose to abuse their power from hiding their activities indefinitely.
    @bondjames good post.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    chrisisall wrote: »
    My answer to the OP's question is no. Bond, much like Dirty Harry or Batman, is a character of almost unerring ability to identify the bad guys, and deal with them accordingly. In real life the lines are often blurred and hard targets are few & far between. The wild west mentality of shoot first & ask questions later gets innocents killed. And I'd rather have a scumbag live because killing him might entail the deaths of scores of innocents because in the end, he can live to die another day (minus the collateral damage).

Mostly agree. The difference between Bond and the real world is that Mi6 never captures, tortures, spies on or executes innocent people in Bonds world. That's why I don't have a problem with the way they treated Mr White in QoS, but don't want such black sites in real life.

Someone said we have to trust our intelligence services. I don't. They've proven themselves unworthy of our trust. James Clapper went before a US Senate committee and flat denied that the NSA was collecting and storing data on innocent Americans. He was lying, and he knew it. Just last week British intelligence fed a nonsense story about Russia and China breaking Edward Snowdens code to access all the data he stole. When examined the story has more holes than swiss cheese. It was based on nothing more than "anonymous government sources" who have every incentive to lie, yet the British press dutifully reported it as fact.
    Dragonpol's thread has been an example of thoughtful civility thus far, and a testament to the high standards I would expect from this site. I am truly happy to be a member here. Sadly, some of my fellow Americans at my usual U.S. sites are predictably duped into the dopey militaristic hysteria and distracted by the celebrity sex change & race identification bending that it totally frightens me visa-vie our political future.... #-o
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've been thinking about this a lot of late so I thought I would start a thread on it to gauge the views of other Bond fans. I realise that the subject matter is a little bit controversial. The thread is not meant to invoke controversy, however. Let me say that from the get-go.

What I want to know is does your being a literary/cinematic James Bond fan make you more in favour of state-sponsored assassination (also referred to as extra-judicial killing) by spies/secret agents/special forces etc. against certain individuals (a recent example in the Navy SEALS assassination of Osama bin Laden in May 2011). President George W. Bush wanted the CIA agents to have a "licence to kill" in the hunt for Osama bin Laden after the Al-Queada September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center Twin Towers, the Pentagon and the attempt to crash into the White House:

Obviously, Ian Fleming came up with the idea of the "licence to kill in the line of duty" first and no doubt based it on his wartime experiences as Assistant to the Director of Naval Intelligence for the duration of World War II and in particular on his 'Red Indians' in the 30 Assault Unit as well as with the Special Operations Executive (SOE). Ian Fleming himself famously suggested several ways that the CIA might assassinate Fidel Castro (including making his beard fall out and giving him explosive cigars).

There were several plots to kill Hitler during World War II and the SOE trained the two assassins who killed Reinhard Heydrich in Prague in the then Czechoslovakia (but which had the terrible consequence of the vengeful Nazis obliterating the Czech town of Lidice and everybody and everything in it).

During the Cold War the Soviets of course murdered defectors and traitors and we see this happening in the cases of the Bulgarian dissident writer Georgi Markov in September 1978 in London with a pellet containing the toxin ricin fired from an umbrella and Alexander Litvinenko in November 2006 with the radioactive poison Polonium 210, only to be found in Russian scientific labs.

So, are we as Bond fans in favour of state assassination by the UK, the US or their allies (which is of course against international and state law which forbids assassination as a state policy) or are we opposed to it? Is it better for it to remain in James Bond's fictional world or should it encroach into the real world that we, as Bond fans, inhabit?

Either way, I'd love top hear your views as I'm greatly interested in this as a topic of discussion.

Personally, I'm in favour of a controlled level of state assassination such as in the cases of Hitler or more recently Osama bin Laden but that said I of course realise there are inherent dangers if this evil power is abused by a government or intelligence chiefs. I'm against the use of the death penalty, however, as I see that as a separate matter and anyway too many innocents have lost their lives in the past.

I hope that we can all have a civil discussion about this, as I feel it is important. :)

I do not except the notion of moral equivalency. The acts of Soviet Union are no way "as moral" as the war on terror.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is a complex question, and there are no easy answers. A lot of good points have been mentioned here already and I'll add my view, which incorporates some of what's been said before.

A part of me says yes. Why?....because it's increasingly difficult to locate bad guys these days (even with new surveillance techniques and powers). The world is full of bad actors who increasingly want to do harm, so one should be able to assassinate them when they are located.....since if one doesn't they can disappear off the radar and then commit bad deeds. For example, the US knew where Bin Laden was hiding in Afghanistan pre-911. If they had taken him out then, 911 may not have happened.

A part of me says no. Why?.....because inevitably these powers will be abused...."absolute power corrupts absolutely", and government bureaucracies have a bad record when it comes to intelligence gathering accuracy and abusing power. The risks are high that one could make a mistake, kill the wrong person, ignore collateral damage and harm to innocents, and not do the proper due diligence beforehand.

It's almost become too easy these days, with some soldier sitting thousands of miles away remotely controlling a drone. So as the consequences of error become less, so does the risk of overreach and malfeasance by government operatives.

Where does it end? What kind of assassinations will be approved next? Will be able to kill those who's political views we disagree with?

Power must be kept in check - it must be observed closely, monitored & there must be punishment for abuse. Easier said than done....

I agree that Bond is a special case. He's a special operative. A highly trained individual with a license to kill in the course of his duties to further his mission and objectives. He's good....very good. However, he's a fictional character. His level of perfection is not the norm.....it's not even the exception....it's almost impossible to be as good as he is, and even he makes mistakes.

So while the ability to stop your enemies before they come after you is a commendable one, it should only be allowed with very clear guidelines, control, accountability and oversight by the highest levels of government.
    There should be limitations on how long this information should be kept secret as well, in order to ensure accountability to the public and prevent those who may choose to abuse their power from hiding their activities indefinitely.

That's pretty much it for me.

Regarding Bond, I don't think he considered himself an assassin. Even in OHMSS he didn't consider it was his job role to track down Blofeld.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2015 Posts: 17,816
    Perdogg wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote:

During the Cold War the Soviets of course murdered defectors and traitors and we see this happening in the cases of the Bulgarian dissident writer Georgi Markov in September 1978 in London with a pellet containing the toxin ricin fired from an umbrella and Alexander Litvinenko in November 2006 with the radioactive poison Polonium 210, only to be found in Russian scientific labs.

I do not except the notion of moral equivalency. The acts of Soviet Union are no way "as moral" as the war on terror.

Sorry, @perdogg. I see what you mean. I agree that there is no moral equivalence there and I certainly did not mean to give that impression. I have accordingly amended that paragraph in the OP on the role of the Russians in this matter that you have quoted in order to better state exactly what I meant - merely looking at what went on in the Soviet Union/the Federation of Russia as "the other side of the coin" (i.e. not as an equivalent example of what we do in the West).
    RC7 wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    A soldiers job is to engage and kill enemy combatants, which is what those soldiers are doing, taking out enemy combatants armed with AK47's and RPGS.

They're actually taking out Reuters journalists with long lens cameras. My point being, Bond would never make such a mistake and revel in such ignorance. This wouldn't have come to light without Wikileaks. So while I condone a certain level of state controlled assassination, we have to be vigilant. The video I posted isn't even close to being comparable with a WWII scenario, it's just gung-ho idiots doing the 'World Police thang'.

This video btw is actually completely off topic.Its about combat soldiers engaging what they think are enemy insurgents. It has nothing to do with the topic @dragonpol raised.

But thanks for the clarification as to what the video is trying to show.

But as its been put on the table........its not clear from the video that there is any mistaken identity. The soldiers clearly reference AK47s and RPG's. You have to go to the Youtube page and read the blurb copy to learn that two Reuters journalists were among the targets.
    My thoughts on this video for what they are worth, and they aren't worth much, because the whole incident does scream for further context, ie what intelligence led the combat unit to believe the targets were insurgents?
    Were the journalist traveling with actual insurgents thus putting themselves in harm's way? I don't know? Journalists do stuff like this.
    What compelled the soldiers to engage?
    It seems the combat unit believed they were engaging insurgents. Even the wikileaks blurb only claims two of the targets to be journalists.
    The army private that leaked the video, Bradley Manning is currently doing 35 years on espionage related charges.
    But all that aside, if the targets were indeed insurgents, I honestly think this is exactly how you would expect a combat unit to engage ie kill them all.
    The comparison with WWII is apt in the sense that an Allied unit in that war, if it were to come across a German patrol that they could get the drop on, would engage and mow them all down.
    But I am not blind as to why you posted the video. We don't want to see our troops engaged in such brazen killing activities if there is any doubt as to the veracity of the targets.
    War is a bad deal at the best of times
    It's why we don't ask our soldier friends or acquaintances, to pull up a chair and tell us about some of their more exciting missions. They don't talk about their war experience. It stays there. It's not pleasant.
    The Brad Pitt film released last year, Fury, I thought was a good honest combat film.
    The film showed how Pitt's unit which was a WWII mop-up unit, days before the surrender, was methodically rooting out and killing German resistance.
    But the film also explored the varied characters and personalities of the soldiers. One guy was clearly a bit psycho. He might have enjoyed killing the enemy for all the wrong reasons. One of his compadres even tells him that in real-life he wouldn't want to know him.
    But when the unit was engaged, the nut-bar did his job as effectively as the others. They all aggressively engaged the enemy and supported each other. No questions.
    Their squabbles and internal dislikes were confined to their down time.
    It didn't matter who enjoyed what or what motivated whom. They all had a job to do and they were co-dependant on each other.
    Pitt even whipped the reluctant greenie into a combat killing-machine by movies end, yet the greenie still retained his unique reluctant personality. Pitt simply enlightened him as to the harsh realities of combat.
    So the video above shows a combat unit egaging what they think are insurgents and doing I think what you would expect them to do, ie take them out

The broader question of why this group was targeted in the first place is a whole other issue, that higher-ups would have to address or at the very least the ranking officer on the scene. The soldiers were doing their job IMHO.
    Sark wrote: »
    Someone said we have to trust our intelligence services. I don't. They've proven themselves unworthy of our trust. James Clapper went before a US Senate committee and flat denied that the NSA was collecting and storing data on innocent Americans. He was lying, and he knew it. Just last week British intelligence fed a nonsense story about Russia and China breaking Edward Snowdens code to access all the data he stole. When examined the story has more holes than swiss cheese. It was based on nothing more than "anonymous government sources" who have every incentive to lie, yet the British press dutifully reported it as fact.
    We do actually have to trust our intelligence services because that's all we've got.
    They've got a mandate to protect the realm, so to speak.
    You're confusing trust with holding them accountable.

Regarding Bond, movie Bond has no compunction about targeted assassination. Going as far back as FRWL, Bond happily aids Kerim Bay in taking out his Russian nemeis via precision rifle fire.
    In LTK Bond has a bead on Sanchez from across the roof-top and is prepared to pull the trigger.
    In DAD Bond enters Korea for the express purpose of eliminating Colonel Moon.
    In DAF Bond is on the trail of Blofeld, with one goal in mind, to remove him from this mortal coil.
    In CR Bond is tasked to eliminate Dryden and does so without compunction.
    There are probably other examples.

Fleming's Bond is not so different. He's more nuanced though. Fleming makes it clear that Bond has a distaste for pre-planned assassination, but he'll still do it. He just doesn't like to do it. Fleming brought this human quality to his blunt instrument with the dirty job.
    Book-Bond was willing to pull the trigger on Trigger in TLD, but missed on purpose because she was a woman he'd taken a long distance shine to.
    Again Fleming brings out Bond's human side. One could argue that Bond should have killed her,because she was a KGB assassin engaged in the act, but Bond is not a robot.
    He tried to combine his human emotions with his sense of duty and get best of both worlds.
    Admirable I think, yet he allows he could be fired for such dereliction.
    Great storytelling by Fleming I think, as this was a potentially real situation, that a highly trained op might have to deal with, and that a practical Chief might also have to creatively deal with.
    The movie lets Bond almost completely off the hook, though. Bond purposefully misses because he rightly identifies Kara as a non-professional. I think he could plead that case easier than Book Bond's defense.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,138
    No timmer, I actually don't have to "just trust them". Moreover, when people say to trust them they often explicitly mean don't hold them accountable. Like in the scene in CR where M is bit**ing about being questioned by parliament, saying that "even he(the PM) knows not to ask what they do."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Only double 0` s with a licence to kill are allowed to kill people, but to get that licence you need to kill a couple of folks. Without the licence.

It is not like a driver s exam, with a killing instructor present, ready to step in. So is it more like a free trial period?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I have no problem seeing someone whom wants me dead die.
    ISIS doesn't know who you are, and they have neither the means nor the technology to affect you in any possible way. ISIS is a problem for another continent, and if you wish to back up people who ARE in danger, fine, but let's keep the MSM hyped hysteria in THIS area of the world under control, okay?
    :))

....just made a statement. Didn't say ISIS. Just a statement. No apologies.

there are some very bad men coming to kill me we plan to kill them first. Sorry paraphrasing a ficticious British character.

there are some very bad men coming to kill me
    Care to harden the target?
    :-??
  • To answer the question posed by this topic thread: no. My enjoyment of the fictional adventures of the impossibly suave 007 does not inform my opinions on appropriate real world geopolitical tactics any more than my enjoyment of the 4 color adventures of Batman effects my opinion on correct police procedures involving a suspect's Civil Rights.
    I have no problem with someone eliminating extremely dangerous terrorists under the banner of warcrimes/war on terrorism, but as someone mentioned before; it will without a doubt be abused and murder should under no circumstance be judicially codified.
    We all assume here that the operative is like James Bond: that he does it for duty and does not enjoy killing. We may think differently if the operative turned out to be like Grant.

Oh thinking about it, that would make for an interesting story: an CIA or MI6 operative who turns out a psychopath who enjoys his work and goes beyond the call of duty.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    We all assume here that the operative is like James Bond: that he does it for duty and does not enjoy killing. We may think differently if the operative turned out to be like Grant.

Oh thinking about it, that would make for an interesting story: an CIA or MI6 operative who turns out a psychopath who enjoys his work and goes beyond the call of duty.

Just to point out that I did not assume this - see my OP where I recall the assassinations carried out by the Soviets/Russians, the "other side of the coin" as I called it there.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Just to point out that I did not assume this - see my OP where I recall the assassinations carried out by the Soviets/Russians, the "other side of the coin" as I called it there.

I meant in general.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I meant in general.

Yes, I see your point. The "licence to kill" is indeed a very evil power and if it is to be deployed at all in the real world those charged with its execution (so to speak) must be very carefully vetted to root out potential psychopaths. I suppose you could say that Dexter is one show where this theme is explored.
    The show Dexter is a hoot. How did he sneak in here.
    Sark wrote: »
    No timmer, I actually don't have to "just trust them". Moreover, when people say to trust them they often explicitly mean don't hold them accountable. Like in the scene in CR where M is bit**ing about being questioned by parliament, saying that "even he(the PM) knows not to ask what they do."
    Who are you quoting here? "just trust them"
    The scene with M; are you taking Mommy M to ask? :-O