The UK General Election

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    And the USA is far more of a meritocracy than the UK.

Well, that is highly debatable...

How so? It's a country that practically invented the archetype of the self-made man! In fact, I wonder if there is a single country more meritocratic than the US.

The problem is that the country has a policy that makes it much harder for the less fortunate to succeed, no matter how hard they work. The concept of the "American dream" is there, yes, but it is not so easy to achieve if you are born into a poor family (or a "lover class" if you like). I would argue the "American dream" is easier to achieve in Brittain (unless you are born wealthy of course...) than in America...

It is difficult everywhere to start at the bottom of ladder and go on the top. The concepts of the American dream, self-made man, etc. are all... American concepts. It is a people that values at the chore of its identity merit. Not birthright, merit. That doesn't mean there are no people in the UK that can go from working class to middle class and up. But they value it less. And it is partially due, I think, to a certain reverence, often downright sycophantic attitude, towards an outdated institution that is the monarchy.

And don't get me wrong, I love the UK. I live in the UK, I am married to an English woman, I admire British writers, musicians, actors, heck, British artists and intellectuals. But this country has a serious issue with its political system.

As do USA IMHO...

Yes, the US "values at the chore of its identity merit. Not "birthright, merit." However it doesnt work like that in practice. People born into wealthy families do have a far better "birthtright merit" than what is the case in many other countries. I am not saying "climbing the ladder" is easy elsewhere. But if a country supports a policy which make sure the social differences stay as great as possible, and make it incresaingly harder for the less fortunate to make a name for themselves, does it really in practice value "merit" over "bithright merit"?

The meritocracy is there in spirit, but not so much in actual politics. I won't say it is better than the British system at all in that regard.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

How so? It's a country that practically invented the archetype of the self-made man! In fact, I wonder if there is a single country more meritocratic than the US.

The problem is that the country has a policy that makes it much harder for the less fortunate to succeed, no matter how hard they work. The concept of the "American dream" is there, yes, but it is not so easy to achieve if you are born into a poor family (or a "lover class" if you like). I would argue the "American dream" is easier to achieve in Brittain (unless you are born wealthy of course...) than in America...

It is difficult everywhere to start at the bottom of ladder and go on the top. The concepts of the American dream, self-made man, etc. are all... American concepts. It is a people that values at the chore of its identity merit. Not birthright, merit. That doesn't mean there are no people in the UK that can go from working class to middle class and up. But they value it less. And it is partially due, I think, to a certain reverence, often downright sycophantic attitude, towards an outdated institution that is the monarchy.

And don't get me wrong, I love the UK. I live in the UK, I am married to an English woman, I admire British writers, musicians, actors, heck, British artists and intellectuals. But this country has a serious issue with its political system.

Your clueless. Read the Magna Carta the monarchy has no power they remain as figure heads only. All legislation passes through commons and then the the house of Lords before it becomes statute. Stop being ignorant to facts, removing the Royal family changes nothing in the way the country already operates.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is the Magna Carta that is the real figurehead. These people have backdoors.

Your clueless. Read the Magna Carta the monarchy has no power they remain as figure heads only. All legislation passes through commons and then the the house of Lords before it becomes statute. Stop being ignorant to facts, removing the Royal family changes nothing in the way the country already operates.

I'm a medievalist, thank you very much. The UK is not a democracy since the Magna Carta. I mean, it is downright laughable to state that since then the king or queen is just a figurehead. No real power, Elizabeth the first? No real power, Edward the first, the Second? And Edward III who took it from the lover of his mother, he had no real power afterwards? The War of the Rose happened for a figurehead position? And even if you think the monarchy has no real power now (no matter centuries ago)... then why have one?

But it does have power and privileges. Power to lobby, to dissolve the government, to appoint prime ministers. Symbolic powers, but still powers held by birthright. Heck you talk about the House of Lords. Who nominates the bishops of the Church of England there? Or members of the aristocracy? Why should they have their say in the way the country is run?

But even if the monarchy had no real power, symbolically it has one and I do think symbols have importance and meaning. In the UK, the head of state is born into it. He/she is rich because it is born into it. And that is wrong, that is immoral, that is antidemocratic.

But hey, what do I know. We have a democracy since the Magna Carta, right?
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 7,503
    A Republic one of the oldest being Ireland who have been crippled by debt they don't have the class divide over there as there all broke the country would have been bankrupt without a European Union bail out. Some of the most stable countries on the planet have a Monarchy intact Spain, The Netherlands even the Danes hundreds of years of democracy and stability. There is greater poverty in parts of the US than there is in the UK. Well be just fine with the Windsors thank you. As I said the Magna Carta means our Queen is only a figure head the power is with the democratically elected government. You make it out that she is head of state in the sense of a dictatorship read the translated Magna Carta on the British library website instead of posting republican propaganda from you tube.

Spain has had "hundreds of years" of "democracy and stability"?? ;))

Why is that so funny the country its
    democratic in financial health with a great track record on human rights. I'm not ignorant to the issue in the tribal basque north but I didn't say it's perfect every nation has its hate mob.

So you have never heard of Franco and the Spanish civil war? "Great track record" indeed... And to ssay that Spain is "financially healthy" is a grave insult to the huge percentage of young unemployed. But in your world unemployment is solemnly a matter of "lazyness" i Guess? You demonstrated that quite well previously...

To call the Basque independent movement "a tribal hate mob" boarders on insult as well. Would you say the same thing about the Scottish Independence movement? And what about Catalunya, Valenciana, Galicia and (to a smaller extent) Andalucia? "Hate mobs"?

This is very much off topic though...

As do USA IMHO...

Yes, the US "values at the chore of its identity merit. Not "birthright, merit." However it doesnt work like that in practice. People born into wealthy families do have a far better "birthtright merit" than what is the case in many other countries. I am not saying "climbing the ladder" is easy elsewhere. But if a country supports a policy which make sure the social differences stay as great as possible, and make it incresaingly harder for the less fortunate to make a name for themselves, does it really in practice value "merit" over "bithright merit"?

The meritocracy is there in spirit, but not so much in actual politics. I won't say it is better than the British system at all in that regard.

I think the USA has a problem with its politicians more than its political system (the religiosity of its politicians, to be more precise, but that is another topic entirely). Every person born in wealthy families will have it easier, no matter which country. That the meritocracy is there in spirit is already important. And it is still better than valuing it less, or not at all.
    I'd say that a country which makes health care a matter of economical investment, manipulation and gamble by insurance companies have greater political issues than mere religious conservatism - which of course is a major issue as well... For a country that prides itself on its democratic principals, its electoral system is one of the least convincing in the modern western world. Not to mention (among many other facts) its population's almost fanatic allegiance to an old, completely outdated text, badly in need of reform. And no, I am not talking about the Bible...

The British political system looks almost heavenly by comparison, at least from a foreign perspective.

• edited May 2015 Posts: 14,848
    I live in the UK and it is in some ways a far more religious and sometimes even a far more conservative country than America. Let's not forget that it has a state religion which receives preferential treatments by the state and in public schools.

But yes, we have public healthcare here. And one can be an unbeliever and still have chances to be elected, at least as an MP. Still, so can Nadine Dorries, who is pretty much as abysmally stupid as Sarah Palin.
    A Republic one of the oldest being Ireland who have been crippled by debt they don't have the class divide over there as there all broke the country would have been bankrupt without a European Union bail out. Some of the most stable countries on the planet have a Monarchy intact Spain, The Netherlands even the Danes hundreds of years of democracy and stability. There is greater poverty in parts of the US than there is in the UK. Well be just fine with the Windsors thank you. As I said the Magna Carta means our Queen is only a figure head the power is with the democratically elected government. You make it out that she is head of state in the sense of a dictatorship read the translated Magna Carta on the British library website instead of posting republican propaganda from you tube.

Spain has had "hundreds of years" of "democracy and stability"?? ;))

Why is that so funny the country its
    democratic in financial health with a great track record on human rights. I'm not ignorant to the issue in the tribal basque north but I didn't say it's perfect every nation has its hate mob.

So you have never heard of Franco and the Spanish civil war? "Great track record" indeed... And to ssay that Spain is "financially healthy" is a grave insult to the huge percentage of young unemployed. But in your world unemployment is solemnly a matter of "lazyness" i Guess? You demonstrated that quite well previously...

To call the Basque independent movement "a tribal hate mob" boarders on insult as well. Would you say the same thing about the Scottish Independence movement? And what about Catalunya, Valenciana, Galicia and (to a smaller extent) Andalucia? "Hate mobs"?

This is very much off topic though...

Number 1. It's a GLOBAL recession no European government has money to spend on creating Jobs.

Number 2. SPAIN has the largest tourism industry in Europe so don't give me your woes me BS. And being an EU member citizens those unemployed can work and live in any EU state without a visa.

Number 3. I do consider the SNP and it's supporters traitors and a hate mob. In Spain though it's different we don't have a terrorist organisation like ETA fighting for the breakaway of the Basque country you would be better to draw compassion to Northern Ireland and the IRA.

Be a man stop your moaning. Travel, get an education you can get a free university place here in Scotland and the lowest employment in 9 years.

I hate all this poor me, it's all the government's fault. No it was the cheap money market in America's fault it showed European countries were too dependant on our banks and our banks too dependant on America. Those countries who use the Euro felt hit the hardest Ireland fell near to bankruptcy then Greece the domino effect. But on a brighter note interest rates will rise next year in the UK and Draghi the EU monatary commish will follow suit. Investor's begin investing again and that create more jobs and growth.
    I don't want to be mean, but I am still laughing about your Magna Carta comment.
    escalated.gif
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,619
    I do consider the SNP and it's supporters traitors and a hate mob.

More than 1.4 million people voted for the SNP this month. That's more than 25% of the population of Scotland. So at least 1 in 4 Scottish people are traitors and part of a hate mob? Wow...

More than 1.4 million people voted for the SNP this month. That's more than 25% of the population of Scotland. So at least 1 in 4 Scottish people are traitors and part of a hate mob? Wow...

Because yes wanting the independence of your country is treason. Or something. I better be careful around here as I'm seditious taking against the monarchy. Even the SNP doesn't do that.

Because yes wanting the independence of your country is treason. Or something. I better be careful around here as I'm seditious taking against the monarchy. Even the SNP doesn't do that.

I consider myself British not just Scottish. In Britain we pool our risk. The SNP simply used the current economic downtown to twist the mind of those most desperate in our society to suit their own nationalist agenda. Leading those to believe Scotland gets a poor deal when really more public spending per head is spent in Scotland. There is a £3.7B hole in the SNP spending plan. They inflated the forecast of oil revenue in their white paper. 25% voted not all support independence to many unsatisfied labour voters voted SNP to push for more devolved powers. Purely a tactical vote. The SNP who wish to annex us from the rest of the UK those I consider traitors.

End of the day Ludovico you are not a national you live here I assume because you like the quality of life here. I think you should respect many still appreciate our royal family and that's why they still exist. Word of advice when you live in a glass house don't throw stones.

God save the queen.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,619
    I consider myself British not just Scottish. In Britain we pool our risk. The SNP simply used the current economic downtown to twist the mind of those most desperate in our society to suit their own nationalist agenda.

I consider myself European not just British. In the European Union we pool our risk. The UKIP (and the Conservatives to a certain degree) simply use the current economic downtown to twist the mind of those most desperate in our society to suit their own nationalist agenda.

I have no idea whether you are pro-EU or not, SirHilaryBray, all I'm saying is that it's funny that a large percentage of people (mostly English people) who are against Scottish independence are decidedly anti-EU.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    I am for the EU. I think we are better to break down divides rather than put them up. I will vote to stay in the EU I like the freedom of trade and movement in the EU. But things are not as straight forward as the Torries want to take the UK out of the EU they want to strengthen their hand to get Britain a better deal because they feel we are being hit hardest for contribution because our economy if growing faster than others and as an EU member state you pay in based on your GDP (gross domestic product) i.e how much your finances have grown. It's simply the same tactic that people who don't want independence in Scotland voted SNP to strengthen the case for more job creating powers to be devolved to the Scottish parliament.

A bargaining tool or a poker bluff.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    For the record @Ludovico, I agree with you on the Monarchy (and yes @SirHilary, I'm a national and was born and raised in England, not sure what that has to do with anything though, he's a British citizen and he pays tax like the rest of us so he has a right to his opinion on the Monarchy, whether he was born here or not). I just can't be arsed to become embroiled in another debate on this thread.

Oh, and thank you @4EverBonded and @Mrcoggins :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,841
    I don't want to be mean, but I am still laughing about your Magna Carta comment.

The Bill of Rights 1688 is just as important an Act of Parliament as the more distant Magna Carta 1215 of King John. It introduced the important constitutional legal principle of parliamentary sovereignty and that parliament was supreme over the courts. It also was the first step on the way to our present constitutional monarchy in the UK. This was all done in order for the Convention Parliament to invite William of Orange to Britain to defeat the autocratic King James II and its legal principles had to be accepted by the new king and queen in order for their Coronation to go ahead. The Bill of Rights also contained important articles on the prohibition of torture and "cruel and unusual punishments", a prohibition on the levying of excessive fines, protecting what is said in Parliament under the head of parliamentary privilege and numerous other important constitutional reforms that still form the bedrock of British democracy to this day.
    Be a man stop your moaning. Travel, get an education you can get a free university place here in Scotland and the lowest employment in 9 years.

I hate all this poor me, it's all the government's fault. No it was the cheap money market in America's fault it showed European countries were too dependant on our banks and our banks too dependant on America. Those countries who use the Euro felt hit the hardest Ireland fell near to bankruptcy then Greece the domino effect. But on a brighter note interest rates will rise next year in the UK and Draghi the EU monatary commish will follow suit. Investor's begin investing again and that create more jobs and growth.

Wow! That was a classy comeback! :))

I was never moaning nor in anyway speeking for myself. I have a fortunate solid background in one of the wealthiest countries in Europe. I have certainly nothing to complain about!

However I am capable of showing solidarity with the less fortunate, and the decency to acknowledge that its not enough to work hard or get educated for many to succeed. The idea that people struggle simply because they don't work hard enough or don't finish their education, is so naive it is almost laughable...

EDIT:

I see now there is no real point in answering anyway... I won't bother with your weird political views...
    End of the day Ludovico you are not a national you live here I assume because you like the quality of life here. I think you should respect many still appreciate our royal family and that's why they still exist. Word of advice when you live in a glass house don't throw stones.

God save the queen.

God save the queen.

I am not a national no. I am a permanent resident, which gives me the right to vote. As @livingroyale also mentioned, I work and I pay taxes too. I am also a Canadian, thus I actually have the same head of state even as a citizen.

And even if I was not any of this... I still live in a free society, last time I checked, and that means being free to criticize aspects of it. Including ans especially power, or people holding power, if I consider that they do not deserve such power. I understand they are popular, that does not mean monarchy is right as a political system, or not contradictory to a democracy.

So no, I will not shut up about the subject and will not be a sycophant regarding the monarchy. Last time I checked, lease majesty is no longer a crime in the UK, neither is blasphemy. Neither is holding republican views. As for God, I don't believe for a moment he exists, let alone appoints kings queens.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Reading all these comments just makes me realize more clearly than ever that I want to live in Norway, Denmark, or Sweden. Yes, I do.
    The UK referendum is going to be very interesting, especially with the way the political landscape looks now?
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 7,653
    I think if the UK votes to leave the EU it will find out very quickly how dependent they have come on the EU, and feel the hurt economically pretty fast. I would expect to see the banking sector leaving the UK after leaving the EU.

As for the monarchy in most democratic nations they have a function and I prefer our King over that nitwit we got as our president [Harry Potter II].

As for the US being a meritocracy, I think it used to be. Now it has become a a plaything for the extreme rich after the the decision was taken to free the limitations on sponsoring a political candidate. We can now clearly see how a government gets bought the amounts used in the political races could be used better to repair the US crumbling infrastructure. But these days the world sees the US being busy with a lot of inconsequential navel staring and they cover it up with going to war with whomever they fancy to be their next lethal enemy while in process already creating the next opponent. Not a lot of merit in that I wager.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    That would be the only good to come out of Milliband winning. Imagine if all the other candidates dropped out and he won. Everyone turns to Katie Hopkins and motions a hand towards the coast, the population parting like the red sea. ;)
    Ah yes, doing a Reggie Perrin, but actually walking into the sea never to return.

Am I the only one who finds her hilarious?

Yes. She's a vile, stuck up posh bully who's made a living off insulting other peoples appearance despite the fact that she herself is ugly as f**k. She's a hypocritical attention seeking twat. I could deal with her insulting people if she was actually funny doing it (like Frankie Boyle is), but she's not, there's no wit, her insults aren't clever, she's just nasty, and she often insults people who have done absoloutely nothing to warrant it. I would honestly love to see one of the women she's insulted for no reason beat the sh*t out of her.

What do you expect from someone who thinks Maggie's days were the glory days, I'd interested to know if you were actually affected by her polices or you are just going by the history books Wizard.

The I'm all right Jack society we live in pretty much guarantees a Tory government for the foreseeable future!

Oh I get it now - you actually think Katie Hopkins is serious? It's called showbiz folks. She's realised she can make a right earner out of playing the pantomime villain.

Sorry, forgot I didn't reply to this. I'm well aware that Katie Hopkins does what she does to earn an easy living. It doesn't mean she's less of a twat. In fact that makes her worse. Being controversial and insulting people for the sake of it to get fame and easy money, not caring who she hurts in the process and not caring about the hate her innocent kids are going to receive for growing up with her as a mum.

And she's not actually funny. All she does is insult people. Charlotte Church is the most recent, who she said was fat. Ha. So "hilarious". It's not actually funny and the people on the receiving end of her insults end up hurt. But hey, it's alright because she's actually playing up her persona of being a stuck up hypocritical c*nt to make a living.

Basically Katie Hopkins is a repulsive twat and if you actually like her or find her funny then chances are you're a twat too, or at the very least have no sense of humor.
    I consider that Charlotte Church quite a dish and a talented performer with a wicked sense of humour. Which would classify her better than any politician in my humble view.

God save the queen.

I am not a national no. I am a permanent resident, which gives me the right to vote. As @livingroyale also mentioned, I work and I pay taxes too. I am also a Canadian, thus I actually have the same head of state even as a citizen.

And even if I was not any of this... I still live in a free society, last time I checked, and that means being free to criticize aspects of it. Including ans especially power, or people holding power, if I consider that they do not deserve such power. I understand they are popular, that does not mean monarchy is right as a political system, or not contradictory to a democracy.

So no, I will not shut up about the subject and will not be a sycophant regarding the monarchy. Last time I checked, lease majesty is no longer a crime in the UK, neither is blasphemy. Neither is holding republican views. As for God, I don't believe for a moment he exists, let alone appoints kings queens.

With your own politicians high on crack maybe it's best you refrain from commenting on the UK system. No wonder you left Canada. I am assuming from a probable French province with the arrogance and sense of righteousness in your post. Enjoy continuing to pay your taxes to Her Majesty's Revenue and Custom I am sure she would love the irony of collecting your cash.
    Since you know about Magna Carta you must understand a bit of Latin. Your post is non sequitur. And you are a troll.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I consider that Charlotte Church quite a dish and a talented performer with a wicked sense of humour. Which would classify her better than any politician in my humble view.

Yeah I quite like her. Not a fan of her music but she is a great singer, actually very talented and she seems like a nice person. Not sure why she isn't as famous anymore tbh.
    the arrogance and sense of righteousness in your post.

Do you not see the irony here? Also, resorting to using stereotypes to personally insult someone just because they have a different opinion to you is pathetic and childish, and the entire basis of your entire argument at this point seems to be "you weren't born here so you're not allowed to have an opinion on the Monarchy", which is a very stupid (and nationalistic) view to have. He lives here, he's a citizen and he pays taxes which fund the Monarchy so he's allowed to have his own opinion. You also laid into @jobo above for no reason, as well as calling everyone who wanted Scottish independence a traitor (ironic as you stated that one of the reasons you hate the SNP is because some supporters called you a traitor). You're being a dick.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138

Wow! That was a classy comeback! :))

I was never moaning nor in anyway speeking for myself. I have a fortunate solid background in one of the wealthiest countries in Europe. I have certainly nothing to complain about!

However I am capable of showing solidarity with the less fortunate, and the decency to acknowledge that its not enough to work hard or get educated for many to succeed. The idea that people struggle simply because they don't work hard enough or don't finish their education, is so naive it is almost laughable...

Don't see how it is laughable I did it. I grew up in local authority home with a single parent low income. I left school without any qualifications. But I got a student loan and Bursaries and a college space all still available today all government funded. I left I worked door to door for commission in wind, rain snow and hail selling double glazing for peanuts but I learned personal skills, I then got a job in an office using those skills to sell business telecoms. I then used those skills and moved in to tele customer service. I then used those skills to get a job In an office in insurance withing that job I did my industry exams. I then worked hard and was promoted. Then with all the skills picked up from an entry level job I sit as CEO on one the biggest Independent recording houses in the world..

So if I can do that, answer me why can't others?

All it takes is to fill in a college application. Or to speak to a DWP advisor. If you can't because you have a child? guess what most colleges and Universities have creshes. There is government funded open university courses. And there are night classes.

There are may tools and help out there and from my experience of people I ask when they complain about their low income or lack of employment and I ask them why they don't want to study part time the answer I get is either I can't be bothered or I don't know how.

I just don't see an excuse that I agree with when it comes to those who gripe because they haven't bothered to explore their options or are simply unwilling to ask for help. Instead it's easy to say this government is crap they took my benefits away and do nothing for me. When really they need to do more for themselves. But nobody is willing to take entry level jobs. It's well known Polish and Hungarian workers in the UK get work quickly because they are willing to do jobs that citizens who are unemployed don't want to do. Then the same people complain there is no work because of imigrants. These people need to get a grip.

I can't sympathise.
    You do know Rob Ford is a conservative, a Christian and it is very likely that he is also a monarchist. But at least he's got the excuse to be on crack. What is yours?

I am mean, I know, that said when you try to make an analogy, make sure it sort of makes sense. Of course it was not an analogy, merely a non sequitur and ad hominem attack, but for appearance's sake, you asked me to educate myself, it would be nice that you preached by example.