New Daniel Craig interview — Bond 23 will be a "classic Bond film"

1235»

Comments

Would be cool (LOL), but only commits to a specific thing, which I hate in certain bond movies. Like in TND, when the bmw symbol rises to cut the cord. WHY ON EARTH would someone think of that. Way too coincidental.
    I imagine it wouldn't be something that Bond would turn on with a press of the button. Rather, it would be running when he started the engine so that he'd always be in 'heat stealth' mode. And there could be other uses, like driving through high-temperature environments, or even Bond sabotaging the system (in the event someone steals the car) so that the liquid nitrogen sprays through the engine bay, disabling the car.

In addition to a GPS-style spy satellite system, the car could also have a high definition "rear parking assist" camera that could be used to focus on the number plate of a car tailing him, send the data to MI6, and get an answer as to who owns it within minutes. A similar camera could be mounted on the front. They could also be used for some discreet, strategic surviellance; Bond parks his car, walks away and lets the cameras record in real time for MI6.

Electronic countermeasures would also be possible - radar and radio jamming. Possibly mobile phones, too. And a chaff device that explodes in a shower of superfine metallic particles to distract an oncoming missile.

If the car is armoured, it could be converted into a mobile prison cell. High-end vaults and safes had a system where bolts fire into the frame of the safe, making it impossible to open. Bond's car could have a similar system, where rods in the reinforced doors lock into matching holes in the bodywork, making it impossible to open the doors from within.

For something a little more over the top, a self-destruct device that turns the car into a missile. The car locks on to a target in front, then uses a rocket booster - like the one in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - to fire itself at the target. When in range, explosives packed into the car detonate.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I agree with everything you said. They could even take things from "Goldfinger", minus the guns, and apply it to Bonds car for current movies.
    Smoke Screen
    Oil Slick
    Blades that come out of the side of the tires, to damage cars on the sides.
    Passenger Ejector Seat

They could also add a small gun, in the grill and back bumper, that shoots out small tracking devices, so Bond can track enemy cars without having the risk of being seen while tailing them.
    These are all amazing. And I do love that tire shredding function on Bond's Aston in GOLDFINGER. So its good to see that a realistic gadget-ed Bond car is realistic enough for Craig.

Now my only issue is the car-into-a-missile.. it seems very Craig, but idk about rockets.
    Love the rear veiw camera
    Love the rear veiw camera
    I can picture a scene where Bond is being calmly tailed, so he uses the camera to run the plates, finds out their identity and then slams on his breaks and causes the car to stop, gets out and walks calmly up to them and says "Hello, mr/ms soandso..." Seems like such a Bond moment.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Daniel Craig on Mendes:

Sam [Mendes] is a huge, huge, HUGE Bond fan and has been all his life.

More with audio: http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/2011/09/28/craig-mendes-just-want-bond-23-to-be-the-best-bond-ever/
    interesting
    I can picture a scene where Bond is being calmly tailed, so he uses the camera to run the plates, finds out their identity and then slams on his breaks and causes the car to stop, gets out and walks calmly up to them and says "Hello, mr/ms soandso..." Seems like such a Bond moment.
    That was the idea.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Daniel Craig on Mendes:

Sam [Mendes] is a huge, huge, HUGE Bond fan and has been all his life.

More with audio: http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/2011/09/28/craig-mendes-just-want-bond-23-to-be-the-best-bond-ever/
    Craig is echoing these comments a lot. By the sounds of it Bond 23 may be one of the few films to get the "film Bond" and "book Bond" balance right. Mendes being a fan helps but how big of a "huge" fan? I take it he'd read Fleming before coming on board? Hell, he must have. Craig wouldn't push for Mendes if not I guess.

The look of the film may also be closing to Fleming. If so, in the hands of Deakins, this will look rather nice indeed. The characters being more Fleming, that's interesting. I'm sure M is first on the list for the 'novel' treatment.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love how much care is being given to this film. It makes me excited and this could be the film to further launch Craig and save him in some peoples minds who didn't enjoy QoS. My hype just grew taller.
  • But with the greater the expectations come the greater the disappointments

I think people will be aware that QOS was generally seen as a bit of a damp squib and they will want to give something back to the audiences

For the 50th anniversary release you would hope we're being lined up something special, I guess it's a case of wait and see and all that
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    This is just The Spy Who Loved Me after The Man With The Golden Gun and look how that turned out. In both cases the longer break helped. Bond 23 should assure the public Craig will be around, as will Bond, for a while yet.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Bond 23 should assure the public Craig will be around, as will Bond, for a while yet.
    Couldn't agree more.