Is Moonraker the most used novel of Fleming?

in Literary 007 Posts: 12,676
I was wondering about it recently. Yes, the movie sharing its name had nothing to do with the source material, or very little. But they used elements of the novel, regarding the background of the villain particularly, in AVTAK, GE, DAD, SF and maybe SP, if the rumours about Oberhauser/Blofeld are true. I could even say that Elvis in QOS is a poorly conceived, bastard child of Krebs. That would make it the most used Bond novel in the movies. Far more than those which were faithful adaptations, ironically enough. More ironically, it would mean that a direct adaptation of Moonraker is unlikely, since so much of it has been used already.

Comments

  • I would say that OP the movie has an element of MR in it as well: the villain cheating at backgammon, only to be undone by Bond, is very closely aligned to the first section of MR the novel. I don't hold out much hope for a faithful movie adaptation of MR, to my mind the only part of Fleming still available for use is the Garden of Death in YOLT the novel. Time may prove me wrong...but I just don't see it.
  • Posts: 4,387
    The villain cheatin at backgammon is more a throwback to GF, methinks. Up to and including the crushing of the dice, mirroring Oddjob crushing Bond's ball.

    No, thez novel which has been used the most is LALD, with, of course, LALD, then FYEO, and then LTK.
  • Posts: 802
    Sadly, I fear you are correct.
    One of Ian's finest has been constantly pillaged for a string of mostly poor movies yet never honoured with a straight adaptation.
    This is a constant source of sadness because either as a period piece or simply by turning Drax into an al Qaeda sympathiser for a modern interpretation, Fleming's fabulous novel could be translated directly to the screen.
    I live in hope!
  • Posts: 12,676
    Gerard wrote: »
    The villain cheatin at backgammon is more a throwback to GF, methinks. Up to and including the crushing of the dice, mirroring Oddjob crushing Bond's ball.

    No, thez novel which has been used the most is LALD, with, of course, LALD, then FYEO, and then LTK.

    That is only three though. MR had been used at least five times.
  • Posts: 12,676
    I would say that OP the movie has an element of MR in it as well: the villain cheating at backgammon, only to be undone by Bond, is very closely aligned to the first section of MR the novel. I don't hold out much hope for a faithful movie adaptation of MR, to my mind the only part of Fleming still available for use is the Garden of Death in YOLT the novel. Time may prove me wrong...but I just don't see it.

    I forgot: "spend them quickly Mr Bond". Directly from MR.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Robotswana
    Posts: 38,613
    Gerard wrote: »
    The villain cheatin at backgammon is more a throwback to GF, methinks. Up to and including the crushing of the dice, mirroring Oddjob crushing Bond's ball.

    No, thez novel which has been used the most is LALD, with, of course, LALD, then FYEO, and then LTK.

    Parts of it were used in DN as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Posts: 13,423
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Sadly, I fear you are correct.
    One of Ian's finest has been constantly pillaged for a string of mostly poor movies yet never honoured with a straight adaptation.
    This is a constant source of sadness because either as a period piece or simply by turning Drax into an al Qaeda sympathiser for a modern interpretation, Fleming's fabulous novel could be translated directly to the screen.
    I live in hope!

    Make this the Post of the Year as far as I am concerned!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 3,552
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Sadly, I fear you are correct.
    One of Ian's finest has been constantly pillaged for a string of mostly poor movies yet never honoured with a straight adaptation.
    This is a constant source of sadness because either as a period piece or simply by turning Drax into an al Qaeda sympathiser for a modern interpretation, Fleming's fabulous novel could be translated directly to the screen.
    I live in hope!

    Make this the Post of the Year as far as I am concerned!

    I agree; Moonraker was a fantastic book as far as I'm concerned, and none of the movies that took from it did it justice (least of all Moonraker itself).
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Posts: 13,423
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Sadly, I fear you are correct.
    One of Ian's finest has been constantly pillaged for a string of mostly poor movies yet never honoured with a straight adaptation.
    This is a constant source of sadness because either as a period piece or simply by turning Drax into an al Qaeda sympathiser for a modern interpretation, Fleming's fabulous novel could be translated directly to the screen.
    I live in hope!

    Make this the Post of the Year as far as I am concerned!

    I agree; Moonraker was a fantastic book as far as I'm concerned, and none of the movies that took from it did it justice (least of all Moonraker itself).

    I know; it's deeply ironic.
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited September 2015 Posts: 354
    My view is that Moonraker fuels the flames of the post-World War II paranoia that was ever-present for at least twenty years post war. Now that WWII lies seventy years in the past, there are very few people left to remember the war, which means that a faithful film adaptation of this book would have to be a historical "costume piece", and would only appeal to die-hard fans of the books, such as ourselves -- who make up a tiny percentage of those who watch Bond movies, fans or otherwise. You only have to look at this forum to see that. All of the thread categories relating to Bond are about the movies, except this one and Fan Creations. This means that a costume-piece, Moonraker would not stack up financially against the tiny audience it would attract. Besides, I would wager that there's no one in this forum that has any experiential knowledge of what WWII paranoia felt like, Bond nut or not. This would rob the film of most of its emotional immediacy, even for those, like us, who would wish to see it.

    I think that the decision to keep Bond in a present day setting was not only financial, but also so that audiences could relate to the modern subject matter. This means that a modern faithful adaptation would have to tap into a modern paranoia, such as Jehadi terrorism. However, since this subject has been covered extensively in other TV and film media, brining Bond into dramas of this type is going to seem very much like he is jumping on an already overladen bandwagon.

    This is, I think, why Moonraker has been plundered, rather than produced.
  • Posts: 12,676
    The last time such adaptation could have worked would have been a few years after the end of the Cold War. Problem with using Islamic terrorism instead is the extreme susceptibility of the Islamic world. Islamist terrorism was referred to in CR and SF but very discreetly.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 4,042
    Darius wrote: »
    My view is that Moonraker fuels the flames of the post-World War II paranoia that was ever-present for at least twenty years post war. Now that WWII lies seventy years in the past, there are very few people left to remember the war, which means that a faithful film adaptation of this book would have to be a historical "costume piece", and would only appeal to die-hard fans of the books, such as ourselves -- who make up a tiny percentage of those who watch Bond movies, fans or otherwise. You only have to look at this forum to see that. All of the thread categories relating to Bond are about the movies, except this one and Fan Creations. This means that a costume-piece, Moonraker would not stack up financially against the tiny audience it would attract. Besides, I would wager that there's no one in this forum that has any experiential knowledge of what WWII paranoia felt like, Bond nut or not. This would rob the film of most of its emotional immediacy, even for those, like us, who would wish to see it.

    I think that the decision to keep Bond in a present day setting was not only financial, but also so that audiences could relate to the modern subject matter. This means that a modern faithful adaptation would have to tap into a modern paranoia, such as Jehadi terrorism. However, since this subject has been covered extensively in other TV and film media, brining Bond into dramas of this type is going to seem very much like he is jumping on an already overladen bandwagon.

    This is, I think, why Moonraker has been plundered, rather than produced.

    I think a faithful MR adaptation could work as a contemporary "enemy within" story (admittedly already done well in GE and poorly in DAD). It would have more of an edge with an ISIS-type threat. However, Eon since 1987 has (wisely) shied away from overtly political stories. Plus, it's hard to make what's happening in the Islamic world entertaining. So I think you are probably right.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,482
    Interesting observation @Ludovico. But please jog my memory - where is MR (novel) material used in SF...?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,042
    I believe it is the shooting range, the predominantly UK settings, and the "turncoat" characteristics of Silva.
  • Very interesting discussion, indeed. I would like to let you know, that I'm actually working on the 'faithful' movie adaptation of Moonraker. It's already four years in the making and I still have a lot of work ahead... but I'm doing my best. https://www.facebook.com/legomoonraker007
  • Posts: 12,676
    AceHole wrote: »
    Interesting observation @Ludovico. But please jog my memory - where is MR (novel) material used in SF...?

    Silva's appearance mainly and a part of his background. Like Drax he's a non British who works/worked for Brittain, he has a bad jaw/teeth and tries to camouflage his wound but do so badly, he's targeting London (albeit indirectly for Silva) and is solely motivated by revenge.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 12,676
    Oh and using London and the UK in SF as the main setting is also very MR.
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Posts: 13,423
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Oh and using London and the UK in SF as the main setting is also very MR.

    Yes, I certainly thought so too.

  • Posts: 12,676
    It is ironic because many Bond movies owe far more to Moonraker than the movie that share its name with the original novel.
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Posts: 13,423
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It is ironic because many Bond movies owe far more to Moonraker than the movie that share its name with the original novel.

    Indeed, sad but true.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Posts: 5,145
    I would like to let you know, that I'm actually working on the 'faithful' movie adaptation of Moonraker. It's already four years in the making and I still have a lot of work ahead... but I'm doing my best. https://www.facebook.com/legomoonraker007

    Looks cool. You got my like, i'm looking forward to it
Sign In or Register to comment.