LTK - is it really more adult than the rest?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Another LTK thread???
    Great movies grow threads....
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    With enough threads, we could get a LTK suit ? ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    To answer the original question posed, from my point of view, it is one of the more adult Bond films (of the 23 made by EON) but there are more adult films in the batch from my perspective, namely:

FRWL, QoS, CR, FYEO, LALD (exaggerated voodoo elements excepted)
  • LTK is one of the best movies in the series in my opinion. It's easily in my top 5 along with TLD.
    bondjames wrote: »
    To answer the original question posed, from my point of view, it is one of the more adult Bond films (of the 23 made by EON) but there are more adult films in the batch from my perspective, namely:

FYEO? Not that I don't like it, but really...?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »

FYEO? Not that I don't like it, but really...?

I had to think about that one, but yes, I think so. It's a pretty basic cold war plot involving stolen A.T.A.C.s, Russians vs Brits in trying to get it back, Greek smugglers etc. Nothing really over the top in it except the Blofeld pretitles and perhaps the car chase, and even those were somewhat plausible, as was the ski sequence. It could have been made in the early 60's.

Arguably the Sanchez mid-air capture pretitles in LTK & the side wheelie finale were more over the top.

I think they're pretty much on par. In fact, whenever I see LTK, I'm reminded of the fantastic Bond/Melina escape in FYEO from the sharks and Kristatos - that scene could easily have been put in LTK using Krest's boat instead.
    I like FYEO but that whole Bibi thing is absurd. LTK is clearly much more 'adult'.
    It's a close one. The "I love James......sooo much" thing is almost but not quite on par with Bibi's escapades, as is the nonsense in the pool in the end (perhaps almost rivaling "Give us a kiss").
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Why do 'serious', mature bond films like LTK feel the need to include these moments of pure silliness? The ninjas for instance. Whats all that about? were they really going to shoot bond with his own gun were it not for the fact that only he could fire it? Answers on a postcard.
    3:-O
    I remember reading somewhere that John Glen loved the silliness in the films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The "I love James......sooo much" thing
    was PERFECTLY executed by Miss Soto!
    =D> =))
    Well " James" is one hell of a man! ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Miss Soto remains one of the most sexy bond girls too! Lucky Dalton.
  • Can someone remind me whether the PTS in Mexico was set at night or during the day?
    I don't remember the PTS being in Mexico.
    The PTS was in Key West, Florida?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Can someone remind me whether the PTS in Mexico was set at night or during the day?

They usually have weddings in the Florida keys during the day.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    That slow motion shot of Felix grimacing like he's taking a massive dump while running with the assault rifle is my favorite shot of the film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Another LTK thread???
    Great movies grow threads....

LTK is held in high esteem by many fans on here.
    After the slow motion shot of Felix running, I always thought he holds his
    Riffle oddly, when crouching by the aircraft shooting at Sanchez's men.
    Jeffrey Wright is the best Felix IMO.
    It is pure gold. Wright and Jack Lord are my favorite Leiter's as well, @Getafix.
    Mine too, two great Leiters. Some of the other Leiters you couldn't see Bond
    Having a drink or hanging out with them, when not on a mission.
    I liked Rick Van Nutter too, from TB. Although if memory serves me correctly not many people like him.
    It's a shame Wright has disappeared during the Mendes era, but then again I don't like the idea you have to shoe horn characters in for the sake of it. It's nice to give them a break as well. We've had two really nice performances from Wright and for that I'm grateful.
    I preferred the Lord and Van Nutter interpretations of Leiter personally.
    I liked Lord & Wright too (both are quite smug though), but I also have a soft spot for Hedison. Incredibly charismatic, and left his mark on me, since he starred in two great movies. Like Wright, he's the only one to play him twice, so he just sticks in my mind as Felix.
    Hedison did appear in too great films, true.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2015 Posts: 8,088
    Never a big fan of LTK. Too much silliness fir a film that was supposed to be dark and gritty. Why would Q help bond assassinate Sanchez in his time off? Why the prop comedy with the gadgets? Doesn't suit the story IMO.

Also the female characters don't make sense.
    First pam sleeps with bond when they meet, and then she plays hard to get. ?
    Lupee adds nothing to the story and is just there to look at.

Then there is the comedy bar fight, the ninja that come out of nowhere, the winking fish .etc

Not the gritty violent thriller everyone says it is on here.
    3:-O
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    That slow motion shot of Felix grimacing like he's taking a massive dump while running with the assault rifle is my favorite shot of the film.

I can't stop laughing. Slow motion should always be used sparingly. I can't imagine why they thought that was a good spot for it.