Mission: Impossible the TV Show

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,691
Before Tom turned it into an American James Bond movie series, Mission: Impossible was a show about team effort & precision intelligence. Yeah, a shoestring budget (Like Star Trek & others) makes it look a little lacking today, but the sheer creativity is still golden IMO.
So, favourite seasons? Episodes? Characters?
My favourite season is 5, which I'm watching now in memory of Leonard Nimoy, and it really doesn't disappoint so far (the fake YOLT Japanese makeup in "Butterfly" notwithstanding). :))

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the show. I currently own the first season on DVD. I need to get the others. I enjoy it a lot. :)

I can't name my favorite episode my favorite characters are Rollin Hand (The Proto Ethan Hunt) and Barney Collier.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    I love the show. I currently own the first season on DVD. I need to get the others. I enjoy it a lot. :)
    I can't name my favorite episode my favorite characters are Rollin Hand (The Proto Ethan Hunt) and Barney Collier.
    Unlike many other TV shows of the era, MI maintained a level of seriousness, and nearly always delivered a good story for the time invested. I find it no coincidence that it and Star Trek shared both close studio quarters, and creative personnel.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Unlike many other TV shows of the era, MI maintained a level of seriousness, and nearly always delivered a good story for the time invested. I find it no coincidence that it and Star Trek shared both close studio quarters, and creative personnel.

Watch Episode 10 of Season 1. You'll find an obvious repainted Star Trek corridor for a brief moment. Also George Takei was a guest star. ;)
    Surely not!
    :))
    Surely not!

Don't call me tiny. :))

Surely not!
    Don't call me tiny. :))
    So well played there.
    =D>
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Now you are all making me feel old
    I remember watching this when it was first on here in the UK .
    I love 60's espionage shows. Mission: Impossible had tension that even Bond couldn't quite capture.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Other than a few clips, I have never watched an episode of the original '66-'73 show. But I do have the first series of the 80's revival on DVD. Though I have nothing to compare it to, from the original show, I thought it was ok.
    I love the original TV series. Every single episode is so cool and clever and always makes you have that "Ahaa!" moment when you realize exactly what they've been planning the whole time. And it somehow always manages to be suspenseful even though you know they are always - ALWAYS - going to achieve the mission.

That being said, I think the film Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol is by far the best of the movies, because it retains the "team" aspect of the show and is, essentially, three shows in one. Three separate missions in three separate locations. It's just fantastic.
    I agree that GP comes closest to the series feel.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,450
    Leonard Nimoy was seen in S4, third person..

1002004005971692.jpg

The releases already been for a whyle go and can't remember or i have seen more then one season in local store. I am intrest in boxset or even better in slimcase boxsets.
    I picked up the first season at my local Cracker Barrel restaurant. ;)
    While I love the whole series, I remembered that the season with Dana (Lesley Ann Warren; season 5) was my favourite, and my local Newberry Comics had it REAL cheep. After I purchased it I found out the whole series is on Netflix (which we have). :\">
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The original 60s show did not air on Norwegian television when I was a kid, but a neighbour had Swedish television where there were reruns in the early 70s, so every week i would visit him to see Mission Impossible.
    As well as Alias Smith and Jones and Star Trek. Those shows were among the highlights of childhood tv experiences.I wish the movie franchise was closer to the original, as it is I am not much interested.
    When the first MI movie came out I was less than impressed. But they did get better.
    The series is where it's at though, man.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    When the first MI movie came out I was less than impressed. But they did get better.
    The series is where it's at though, man.

As am I. not much to brag about.
    Just watched "Submarine" from season 4, and it all came back to me... the dossier at the beginning picking agents was dropped in season 5 in favour of a mini-PTS. Also, I remember why I enjoyed the later seasons more than the earlier ones: more domestic issues. I could nevder understand why so many 'un-named foreign countries' all seemed to speak English... :))
    Just watched "Submarine" from season 4, and it all came back to me... the dossier at the beginning picking agents was dropped in season 5 in favour of a mini-PTS. Also, I remember why I enjoyed the later seasons more than the earlier ones: more domestic issues. I could nevder understand why so many 'un-named foreign countries' all seemed to speak English... :))

Or why a lot of the villains looked exactly like Martin Landau. =))
    The Sting (Redford/Newman/Shaw 1973) took all its queues from Mission: Impossible.
    Just sayin'. :))