What Lazenby & Dalton Nailed where the others mostly Failed

13»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. The rope, the soft squelchy thud and the reaction were quite understated but terribly unnerving. I shifted in the theatre seat uncomfortably every time there was a hit, as I'm sure most men did.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,691
    Daniel Craig's acting in the torture scene is out of this world and I still sh*t my pants when each time I rewatch the film. The only other scene in any movie that's done the same reaction to me is in 28 Weeks Later when Robert Carlyle founds out he is infected and goes apesh*t on his tied up wife (punching her senseless, gouging her eyes in, etc). I'm still young so I haven't seen some of the all times classic on the big screen but these 2 scenes has always struck out on me.
    Actually, come to think of it, I think Roger Moore conveyed fear more often than most of the other actors. He has that 'momentarily concerned' look that flashes across his face. They're all little tricks he uses, and perhaps don't measure up for those who want their acting with a capital A, but rather effective. The centrifuge in MR is quite a good fear/vulnerable moment, but I think there are quite a few others. When he's trying to get to the bomb in OP, you really feel the tension and Sir Rog looks genuinely worried.

Ah Sir Rog, a true legend.
    Moore was great in the fear dept. too I agree. Best for me was when he's about to pop the champagne at the end of TSWLM and Anya is pointing the gun at him. Get's a laugh out of me every time.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    Moore was great in the fear dept. too I agree. Best for me was when he's about to pop the champagne at the end of TSWLM and Anya is pointing the gun at him. Get's a laugh out of me every time.

Exactly. Moore's films are full of those little moments.

He's such a legend on screen. People slag him off left right and centre, but he's totally in control. A master technician. Brilliant.

I think there are some good Connery fear moments in the early films as well - moments of sweaty, eye-twitching concern. Flashes, rather than extended scenes, but it's all there if you want to find it. More so, I'd argue than in the Craig era.

Birdleson wrote: »
    Look when he first sits down and realizes what's happening. The bravado comes later, but at first he is showing pure terror.

Are we talking CR again? Sure you're right. Dan is a good actor. I like him. I just prefer most of the others. And for me his Bond is not very good at conveying vulnerability. He conveys a sense of invulnerability and looks like a complete bruiser. I just don't get the sense of him being in danger - you almost feel sorry for the other guy who is about to get boshed.

Have to say that was my overriding feeling about the CR torture scene. How Craig's Bond asserts dominance and control even in a position of grave peril. You actually feel Le Chiffre's fear a lot more in that scene - he stinks of fear. He needs the info from Bond (is it info? can't remember exactly what he's trying to extract), so cannot kill him, and knows he is battling time before he himself is killed.

It's not a criticism necessarily of Dan. I'm just saying for me he conveys a dominance and invulnerability that none of the other Bonds really had, perhaps appart from Connery.
    True you can see LeChiffe's fear but I never felt all that sorry for him. He was a man who played dirty when backed into a corner.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    True you can see LeChiffe's fear but I never felt all that sorry for him. He was a man who played dirty when backed into a corner.

yes, but he conveys fear. I personally didn't get that from Dan. it's a great scene and I'm not criticising his performance. it's just that for me it's actually Le Chiffre who comes acorss as fearful and on the back foot, ironically. that's a clever way to have done it IMO, but does not align with how others are interpreting the scene.
    LeChiffre conveyed panic and desperation. Dan's Bond conveyed fear imo - less panic but more resigned fear that he'd blown it and been played.
    LeChiffre conveyed panic and desperation. Dan's Bond conveyed fear imo - less panic but more resigned fear that he'd blown it and been played.

Exactly. Le Chiffre is afraid and thus he is playing nasty because he thinks he has a chance to get through. His fear is purely selfish and it triggers cruelty in him. Bond's fear is the one of fatalism: he does not think he will get through, but he will not humiliate himself by begging for his life or trying to save it by giving in.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »

Exactly. Le Chiffre is afraid and thus he is playing nasty because he thinks he has a chance to get through. His fear is purely selfish and it triggers cruelty in him. Bond's fear is the one of fatalism: he does not think he will get through, but he will not humiliate himself by begging for his life or trying to save it by giving in.

It was a masterful performance by both actors and a very suspenseful scene. I'm glad that Mikkelsen is doing well with Hannibal, and that CR put him on the map with US audiences. He deserves every success.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    chrisisall wrote:
    Connery? Mostly he just seems irritated when his life is in danger, demonstrating all the concern one might show anticipating the missing of one's bus.

This really made me laugh!
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Only Lazenby & Dalton gave us this sense of immediacy, of being truly in the moment of danger, where all the others fall oh so short.

Thoughts?

Truth. Maybe he just lucked out with one of the best, most solid scripts/stories of the franchise, but Lazenby for me goes down as one of the all time under-appreciated pieces of the Bond mosaic. And as for Dalton, The Living Daylights is among my more favored Bond films, License to Kill being a farce but at no fault of Dalton's (were it not for him it truly would have been an unmitigated disaster).

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote:
    Connery? Mostly he just seems irritated when his life is in danger, demonstrating all the concern one might show anticipating the missing of one's bus.

This really made me laugh!
    Heh, I forgot I wrote that...
    ;))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I was just thinking that Lazenby is a particular Bond for me, as he is the only one I know only as Bond. I've seen the other 5 actors in non-Bond films, but Lazenby I've only seen in OHMSS. So in a sense he is 'more' Bond to me than the others.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    From OHMSS to this...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    To be fair, I have not seen it. Only clips like the one above.
    From OHMSS to this...

Ouch.