"Now Pay Attention 007"- James Bond and Q

edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,778
Of the 5 Bond actors fortunate enough to share scenes with Desmond Llewellyn’s Q, whom do you believe had the most chemistry or best scenes with Q?

For me the choice is easily Timothy Dalton. His two appearances with Q have always been two of my favorites. His scene in Q's lab in TLD stood out to me because as gritty as Dalton's Bond is he seems to really be enjoying himself in this scene. We get the impression that Bond has to deal with so many horrible people in his line of work but when he's around Q and moneypenny he's at ease. Almost as if they're old friends who spend too much time together and like to tease eachother.

Licence to Kill, along with Octopussy and TLD, is my all time favorite appearance by Q. He actually gets substantial screentime and even gets in the action. A scene that always put a smile on my face is when Bond puts his arm on Q and says "You're a hell of field operative. Now go I'll see you back in London". Seeing Q and Bond working together was indeed a rare treat.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love Brosnan's scenes with Q, especially in TND when Q is showing Bond the remote control car. When Q doesn't quite get a feel for it Bond heckles "Lets see how she responds to my touch eh Q?".
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I love Brosnan's scenes with Q, especially in TND when Q is showing Bond the remote control car. When Q doesn't quite get a feel for it Bond heckles "Lets see how she responds to my touch eh Q?".
    Easily the best Brosnan/Llewellyn scene I agree.

I'd also add what little of Lazenby we saw with him I liked but to be honest who can tell what would've came of that?
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 2,491
    Brosnan.But i liked Dalton too @DoubleOhhSeven
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2011 Posts: 2,629
    1. Brosnan (I really think they had a good father/son synergy to them. GE lab scene was great as was the omnious farewell in TWINE. I recall Llewelyn saying he enjoyed working with Brosnan the most.)
    2. Dalton (Both were brilliant working together in LTK)
    3. Moore (Both had good chemistry together, particularly with the lab scenes. OP is the best of the films between Moore and Llewelyn.)
    4. Connery (GF is easily the best between the two. FRWL was a good intro. The rest seemed like their wasn't much film chemistry between the two.)
    5. Lazenby (Not fair to rank GL last as they were only in one scene together. But it was a good one with Q giving his nod of approval to Bond.)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    count me for Brosnan as well.... his interactions with Desmond were great - and both played off of each other terrifically...

Connery and Desmond seemed to talk to each other like bitter co-workers, forced to work with each other...

Desmond seemed like he wanted to strangle Moore half the time lol.... with Connery, it was more an annoyance, but with Roger - it's like he couldn't see murder staring him in the face lol.

the father-like transition started with Dalton, who obviously was significantly younger than Rog or Sean - and so the interaction between Bond and Q changed a little...

there wasn't enough time between Desmond and George for me to make a fair assessment..
  • I would definitely go with Timothy Dalton as well. And @DoubleOhhSeven, I definitely agree with all your points on how Dalton approached his scenes with Q and Moneypenny. It makes sense and it feel very natural for Bond to be a lot more loose in that environment and not so ready to fire a weapon. It's like his home away from home.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Put me down for Brosnan. My favorite bit between Brosnan and Q was the entire scene in GE.

"Don't say it!"
    "The writing's on the wall?"
    "Along with the rest of him!"

...and...

"Don't touch that!...that's my lunch..."
    @ Haserot. Yeah I agree. But the difference between Connery and Moore was that Connery and Q seemed to both be annoyed with eachother while Roger Moore seemed to like Q but the feeling wasn't mutual. But I defiantly think Q was nicer to Moore than Connery. He seemed to really hate Connery but put up with Moore.

Like I said Dalton's scenes with Q and Moneypenny were great in my mind because it pointed out something about Bond. That he's a man with many girlfriends but probably very few friends. That's why he's especially light-hearted around Q, Moneypenny, Della, and Felix. They're practically his family. But when it comes time to jump into action he's cold and ruthless. I loved this about Dalton's characterization.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    #1 Brosnan (loved his TND scene with Q in Hamburg, GE)
    #2 Dalton ("I hope you don't snore Q... " One of the most human friendship in the franchise)
    #3 Moore (the scenes with Q in FYEO - identificator and "Forgive me father for I have sinned", MR "Bolas, 007"...)
    #4 - Connery (GF, TB, YOLT)
    #5 Lazenby
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Slightly off-topic but Llewellyn has mentioned in an interview (found on one of the Bond DVDs) that he wore a different tie in each Bond film due to each one relating to a different part of the background of the Boothroyd character. Each tie symbolises something (I'll have to look up what).

Once I find the documentary this is mentioned on, perhaps we could get a list togther?

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about or does this all seem like rubbish?

EDIT: Not mentioned on either Inside From Russia With Love or Inside Q's Lab. I'll keep looking.
    Either Moore or Brozza for me

"perfect image Q"

(close up of boobs)

"REALLY 007"

"personal injury?"

"I hope not but accidents do happen"

"they frequently do with you"

I got the feeling desmond got a tad annoyed with Moore who deliberately rewrote his dialogue for fun.
  • Definately Brosnan.
    - Whenever i have to think about Q, i always think of him and Brosnan's Bond in the lab in GoldenEye and just making it feel 'good' :D
    Some of good mention would be:
    1. Thunderball- Q: "Hello, 007." Bond: "Oh no."
    2. For Your Eyes Only- "Stinging in the rain?"
    3. Octopussy- Q: "It runs by hot air." Bond: "Oh, then you can!"
    4. License to Kill- Bond: "Pack your bags, Q." Q: "Yes sir!"
    5. GoldenEye- Bond: "And what if I need aditional support?" Q: "It's tested for one, 007."
    6. Tomorrow Never Dies- Q: Well, it's surprising difficult!" Bond: "Let's see how she responds to my touch, eh Q."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moved to Bond films.
  • Moved to Bond films.
    What's that mean?
    Moved to Bond films.
    What's that mean?
    This thread has been moved to the 'Bond Movies' subforum.
  • Moved to Bond films.
    What's that mean?
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Moved to Bond films.
    What's that mean?
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    Looking at the post timing though it is rather odd, the last post on this topic was 13th July!

Oh, any idea on my random-ish comment about Q's ties, @DoubleOhhSeven?
  • Moved to Bond films.
    What's that mean?
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    Looking at the post timing though it is rather odd, the last post on this topic was 13th July!

Oh, any idea on my random-ish comment about Q's ties, @DoubleOhhSeven?
    Actually I have no idea. I've never heard that and I've watched dozens of Bond documentaries/interviews. But's its definatly something I'll look out for every time I watch a Q lab scene.
    Even if we get a screenshot of Q in each film, maybe then I'll remember what I'm trying to say!

I've seen the clip many times before but I just don't know where and the fact that others don't know what I'm talking about doesn't help my cause...
    right off the bat, I didn't like Cleese as the new Q, obviously Desmond Llewelyn couldn't go on forever and maybe a replacement was needed but somebody was sleeping or on some illegal substances when they decided on who should fill his shoes

Major Boothroyd, as people forget didn't feature in every movie and llewelyn (said that) he was happy to continue in the role even in to his 80's but the road accident sadly put that idea to bed

Q was cut out of both Craig movies, I don't know if they will bring him back for part 3 but would expect Cleese to feature once again

who was Q best with in the franchise?, I'll do a quick evaluation

Connery, say three stars

Lazenby two

Moore four stars

Dalton three

Brosnan four stars

Craig N/A

so it's a tie with Brosnan and Moore

I liked the Goldeneye one, 'don't touch that it's my lunch etc'

one thing I was really disappointed with was (although they didn't realize at the time it was to be his last Bond) that Llewelyn only had a very small part in his final bond, TWINE, on screen for a brief bit and that was it, I think in hindsight people will look back and say 'we should of given him more screen time'

• LudsLuds MIA
    Connery has great chemistry with Q, I'd say by far the most, their relationship was quite humorous, and was entertaining his entire tenure. Moore certainly also had chemistry with Q, and I can't deny Dalton did also.
    For the most part, every Bond actor had a great chemistry with Q, making the relationship with him their own while still retaining the jokes and jabs aimed at Q just to annoy him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    For the most part, every Bond actor had a great chemistry with Q
    There was a Q in the Craig films ? ;-)
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 102
    Brosnan by far had the most chemistry with Q. my favorite is GE like everybody else.
    http://follyfoot-tv.co.uk/jott/des_inter/des_interveiw.htm

Just found this interview with DL in 1999.
    MI6 also posted one of the last interviews with Llewelyn on the main site though I'm unable to find it through searching.

That one is very good @BAIN123, thanks for linking.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    To me he's had chemistry with all of them, in different ways (except for DC obviously @DaltonCraig007). And to me that credits him as an actor and person. For me there never has to be another Q. He's not necessary in the films and any new actor would always be compared to Desmond. Which isn't fair to both of them.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I honestly have a hard time picturing a Bond movie without Q. LALD, CR and QOS suffered some this. Yes Desmond will always be the best, but I am pretty sure there is room to reinvent the role, with a younger actor, maybe even younger than Bond. I probably am in the section of fans that want their Bond cliches.

I really am sorry, but I just can't picture a Bond film without certain elements - Q, Moneypenny, gunbarrel at start...
    For the most part, every Bond actor had a great chemistry with Q
    There was a Q in the Craig films ? ;-)
    Ah, haha! Whoops, that was a fail. Please forgive me for failing to recognize such an obvious fact! #-O