Fans IN the Bond movies

edited January 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,009
A simple post. I remember Yaphet Kotto calling himself a hardcore Bond fan from back in 1964 when he saw GF, and how happy he was when he landed on the role of Kananga (and then that infamous history about him living the Bond lifestyle. BTW, I read he's now a rabbi?).

Are there anymore, let's say, ascended fanpeople in the Bond films, I mean, people like us who managed to land on a Bond part, on the cast or on the crew? Silly question, but I'm a darn curious guy.

Comments

• I'm not sure if your question is whether regular fans not in the film industry have ever managed to somehow become part of a Bond picture or whether people already in the industry, like Yaphet Kotto, were big James Bond fans before becoming part of the franchise.

No idea to the first part, but as for the second, yes, there have been a number of Bond actors and crew who have said they were big fans of the James Bond films from their childhoods. Christopher Walken apparently was a huge James Bond fan, and particularly fond of Robert Shaw as Red Grant. Pierce Brosnan and Sam Mendes have both expressed sincere fondness for Bond films from their childhoods, along with John Logan. Neil Purvis and Robert Wade are huge James Bond fans as well (they're probably as close as you get to regular guys who have managed to become a part of the franchise in a major way).
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,009
    I'm not sure if your question is whether regular fans not in the film industry have ever managed to somehow become part of a Bond picture or whether people already in the industry, like Yaphet Kotto, were big James Bond fans before becoming part of the franchise.

No idea to the first part, but as for the second, yes, there have been a number of Bond actors and crew who have said they were big fans of the James Bond films from their childhoods. Christopher Walken apparently was a huge James Bond fan, and particularly fond of Robert Shaw as Red Grant. Pierce Brosnan and Sam Mendes have both expressed sincere fondness for Bond films from their childhoods, along with John Logan. Neil Purvis and Robert Wade are huge James Bond fans as well (they're probably as close as you get to regular guys who have managed to become a part of the franchise in a major way).

Well, you nailed it and answered right what I was asking: I was referring mainly to people already in the film industry that happened to be fans... (And thanks for the answer!)
    However, finding out stories about regular fans who found their way into the series would be awesome, don't you guys think?