Oscars 2015 discussion topic

edited January 2015 in General Movies & TV Posts: 372
I don't know if there's ever already been a thread like this or if anyone even wants to discuss the Oscars but for those who do, I thought I'd start this topic. If you think award shows are marginal and unfair than that's ok of course, but that discussion isn't what this thread is meant for. From real-life experience I know Oscar-debates can get pretty heated so please, keep it friendly. :)

Nominees:

Picture
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

Director
Wes Anderson – The Grand Budapest Hotel
Alejandro González Iñárritu – Birdman
Richard Linklater – Boyhood
Bennett Miller – Foxcatcher
Morten Tyldum – The Imitation Game

Actor in a Leading Role
Steve Carell – Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper – American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch – The Imitation Game
Michael Keaton – Birdman
Eddie Redmayne – The Theory of Everything

Actress in a Leading Role
Marion Cotillard - Two Days, One Night
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon - Wild

Actor in a Supporting Role
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Actress in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Laura Dern - Wild
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Emma Stone - Birdman
Meryl Streep - Into the Woods

Animated Feature Film
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Directing
Birdman - Alejandro G. Iñárritu
Boyhood - Richard Linklater
Foxcatcher - Bennett Miller
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson
The Imitation Game - Morten Tyldum

Foreign Lanuage Film
Ida (Poland)
Leviathan (Russia)
Tangerines (Estonia)
Timbuktu (Mauritania)
Wild Tales (Argentina)

The rest:
http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice to see  Rosamund Pike  and Roger Deakins getting nominated
    For this years Oscars :)
  • I'm glad they didn't overlook Bradley Cooper, like I thought they would. And it's been a long time since the Best Actress category was this exciting, in my opinion. The LEGO movie got snubbed.
    Also as a big Sherlock fan, I'm happy to see
    Benedict Cumberbatch also nominated.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 372
    DrGorner wrote: »

Don't watch Sherlock but I thought he was really good in the Theory of Everything... he stands a fair chance.

Less excited about Meryl Streep. Yes, she's arguably the greatest actress of all time and I would never discredit any of her performances, but I think she got nominated just because she's Meryl Streep.
    Some pundits on the BBC news were joking that Bond
    Cinematographer Roger Deakins, was like Meryl Streep
    In that he's been nominated so many times, but has yet
    To win.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 372
    Some pundits on the BBC news were joking that Bond
    Cinematographer Roger Deakins, was like Meryl Streep
    In that he's been nominated so many times, but has yet
    To win.

Agreed. When people yab about Amy Adams or Leonardo DiCaprio I'm like; what about Roger Deakins!? I'm rooting for him based on his previous efforts (I haven't seen Unbroken) but I'm afraid he's not going to win, though, seeing what he's up against.

Same goes for Alexandre Desplat, who's a double nominee for best Original Score.
    True, I bet "interstellar" will win for best score.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Don't watch Sherlock but I thought he was really good in the Theory of Everything... he stands a fair chance.

Less excited about Meryl Streep. Yes, she's arguably the greatest actress of all time and I would never discredit any of her performances, but I think she got nominated just because she's Meryl Streep.

Cumberbatch didn't do Theory of Everything.
    I didn't see a single of the best film nominees, must be a first for me. I see Fincher got snubbed yet again...
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 372
    Sandy wrote: »

Cumberbatch didn't do Theory of Everything.
    I didn't see a single of the best film nominees, must be a first for me. I see Fincher got snubbed yet again...

Oops I meant The Imitation Game. I saw the Theory of Everything yesterday, and I think it's between Redmayne and Keaton.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Yes, Fincher and GONE GIRL got snubbed. And Ben Affleck, of course. As for the best picture nominee, I only watched IMITAION GAME and BOYHOOD.
    Its gonna be Keaton...or Redmayne. That Cumberthingy is out.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Yes, Fincher and GONE GIRL got snubbed. And Ben Affleck, of course. As for the best picture nominee, I only watched IMITAION GAME and BOYHOOD.

Ben Affleck? For Gone Girl? You mean you actually think he should have been nominated? Oh.

---

Half of the best pic nominees haven't even gotten to theatres here, so no chance of seeing them. Of the other half, I have only seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, and will see The Imitation Game tomorrow. I'd like to see Birdman, but it hasn't arrived here, yet. (If it ever will... Nebraska never got here last year, so I eventually had to watch it on dvd.)

It's similar with other categories; I have seen so few of the movies that have any nominations - and most I'm not even particularly interested in seeing - that I barely have opinions of who/what should win something. Unlike last year when I had seen most stuff and definitely had opinions. Now I barely care... except for some categories... there are still some I'd really like to win even though I don't really know the competition, as well as some I really don't want to win even though I haven't seen them.

Mostly tho, I'm kinda meh. I'll have the tv on anyway, like usual, doing other stuff and following the thing on the side.

Gyllenhall for Nightcrawler, and Lego movie were the biggest snubs imo
    Eddie Redmayne has to win Best Actor IMO, and considering he has already won the Golden Globe, the Screen Actors Guild, the BAFTA, etc. I think he has a fair chance.
    Let's see the songs :

Uh... No. Just no.

This one I really love.

Not bad.

Given the subject matter of the movie, I guess that one has a good chance to win.

I didn't know Keira Knightley could sing.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Anna pinnock set designer has two noms and has been given time off from filming with Bond so that she can attend Good Luck Anna.
    I think "The theory of Everything" will bag a lot of Oscars tonight!
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,021
    Good luck to production designer Dennis Gassner and set decorator Anna Pinnock tonight for INTO THE WOODS. Although the Oscar pundits are predicting a win for THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL which would mean a win for Anna Pinnock but Dennis Gassner would go home empty handed. Dennis does already have an oscar for his stunning work on the 1991 film BUGSY.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    I was amazed by Grand Budapest Hotel, that one relly blew me away like few flicks I've seen recently. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • My Oscar bets:

BEST PICTURE:
    Boyhood

DIRECTOR:
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarittu (Birdman)

LEAD ACTOR:
    Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)

LEAD ACTRESS:
    Julianne Moore (Still Alice)

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)

ANIMATED FEATURE:
    How to Train Your Dragon 2

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
    Citizenfour

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
    Leviathan

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    The Imitation Game

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    Grand Budapest Hotel

CINEMATOGRAPHY:
    Birdman

COSTUME DESIGN:
    Grand Budapest Hotel

FILM EDITING:
    Boyhood

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLE:
    Grand Budapest Hotel

MUSIC (SCORE):
    The Theory of Everything

MUSIC (SONG):
    "Glory" (Selma)

PRODUCTION DESIGN:
    Grand Budapest Hotel

SOUND EDITING:
    American Sniper

SOUND MIXING:
    Whiplash

VISUAL EFFECTS:
    Interstellar

Think they're gonna give the statue to Boyhood instead of Birdman. It's a toss-up between Keaton and Redmayne though.
    Somewhat surprised there is no bitching going on about the outcome of the Oscars, IMHO they were all pretty well deserved.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I'm unable to bitch since I've seen so few of the nominees/winners. ;)

I was very pleased Interstellar got the visual effects oscar even though I hadn't seen the competition. :) I wanted it to get the original score oscar, too, I loved it, and Desplat's score for The Grand Budapest Hotel did nothing for me (ok - but not remarkable - in the movie, not something I'd care to listen to on its own). No complaints whatsoever with The Grand Budapest Hotel's other oscars, absolutely deserved.

I've always planned to see Birdman and Whiplash... whenever they get here. Sigh.
  • Have not seen all the nominated films or the actual winner BIRDMAN (opens here this week). I did see Whiplash last year and it was my favourite film of the Best Picture nominees that I have seen - The Grand Budapest Hotel, American Sniper and Boyhood. Whiplash deserved all its wins and should have won Best Picture in my opinion.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    heard lots of good things about Whiplash, I'm going to o watch it soon. Happy Grand Budapest Hotel got its deserved recognition, I loved it! I'll pick up some of the other contenders when I get the chanceparticularly Boyhood.
  • Campbell2 wrote: »
    heard lots of good things about Whiplash, I'm going to o watch it soon. .

I hope you like Whiplash. Its a great film. Fantastic performances, beautifully directed, photographed and edited and also has great music.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Whiplash is definitely worth your time and JK Simmon's is simply terrific and deserved his Oscar as did the editing.

Miles Teller and the music are terrific as well. It was nice to see Grand Budapest Hotel get some recognition, one of my favourite films of 2014.
  • I definately need to see Grand Budapest hotel again. It was stunning to look at and deserved all its awards for production design, music; costume, hair and make-up.

I hope Dennis Gassner, who got nominated this year for INTO THE WOODS gets nominated next year for his production design on SPECTRE!!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,261
    Tuulia wrote: »

Ben Affleck? For Gone Girl? You mean you actually think he should have been nominated? Oh.

No, I don't think he should have been nominated, was more a reply to another forum member. GONE GIRL was not one of my favourites movie. It's smart and clever, but, just a tad biteen too smart and clever and too eager to please the Academy members. Rosamund Pike was good, though.

And I remember, when the Oscar Night was at the end of March, I was able to watch most of the nominated movies in London cinemas, i.e. un-dubbed...
    I hate to say this but I have not seen many of the nominated films. "Whiplash" I never heard of. I have respect for J.K. Simmons, he has been turning in Oscar and Emmy caliber work for years.
    I must check out "Birdman" . Maybe "Whiplash"
    The other films...not interested.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    At the local cinema, BIRDMAN was a total flop. Maybe it will get a second chance now.