The Bond Movies & Actors I Love (Positivity Only Please)

1235»

Comments

• Despise Kamen's score.
    Serra's score is perhaps the best non-Barry score of the franchise (tie with QoS) *ducks for cover*
    I have the GE score and like it as well. Are there moments it sags? Like the silly synth stuff over the reveal of the cyclists, but otherwise does the job well.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited January 2015 Posts: 5,080
    Something that struck me when watching OCTOPUSSY at the weekend: I may have found my favourite scene in the series. It may seem a little excessive, and I'm sure doubleohdad will be flopping around like pastry if he were to read this, but the entire scene within the circus tent when Bond pleas desperately to the American Generals to believe him, the chaos that ensues, and then the eventual reveal of the bomb within the canon's crate, is absolutely fantastic- Moore plays it completely straight despite his attire, and it is perhaps the most tense scene in the series. Even though I've seen the film many times, and know exactly what happens, I was still (literally) on the edge of my seat, not helped by the fact that the timer ticks all the way to "0".

For me, it's up there with "No Mr Bond, I expect you to die!", the death of Tracy and the Lotus chase.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Something that struck me when watching OCTOPUSSY at the weekend: I may have found my favourite scene in the series. It may seem a little excessive, and I'm sure doubleohdad will be flopping around like pastry if he were to read this, but the entire scene within the circus tent when Bond pleas desperately to the American Generals to believe him, the chaos that ensues, and then the eventual reveal of the bomb within the canon's crate, is absolutely fantastic- Moore plays it completely straight despite his attire, and it is perhaps the most tense scene in the series. Even though I've seen the film many times, and know exactly what happens, I was still (literally) on the edge of my seat, not helped by the fact that the timer ticks all the way to "0".

For me, it's up there with "No Mr Bond, I expect you to die!", the death of Tracy and the Lotus chase.

I agree with you @MayDayDiVicenzo. Moore was exceptional in this scene. He was wearing a bloody clown costume and you still felt the gravity of the situation. Now that is good acting if you ask me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, a great scene, played straight, not for laughs. :)
  • It's a great bit of irony (someone may have already said this) where one of the few times Moore's suave, charm, and sense of humor is turned completely off is when he is dressed up as a clown.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's a great bit of irony (someone may have already said this) where one of the few times Moore's suave, charm, and sense of humor is turned completely off is when he is dressed up as a clown.
    And he goes full-on Fleming. Yeah, a bad thing.:-O
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,595
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's a great bit of irony (someone may have already said this) where one of the few times Moore's suave, charm, and sense of humor is turned completely off is when he is dressed up as a clown.
    And he goes full-on Fleming. Yeah, a bad thing.:-O

Hey I agree! Not sure if it was clear in my post but I love the chase - clown - defusing sequence. I'm defending it here.

Also - figured this is a thread where I can show some love for:

A VIEW TO A KILL
    Great fun, Zorin is the best villain in the franchise, Roger is old but still great, full of zany weirdness, levity punctuated by perversion and darkness, Grace Jones, John Barry's score.

MOONRAKER
    Pure spectacle. Glossy, stylish, and featuring Moore in ultra-confident mode. Plenty of flaws but its such a beautiful film (both the cinematography, Barry's score, and the ladies) that it hardly matters. Drax is underrated and one of the best villains in the series, Chang is an awesome henchman, and Corrinne's Death might just be the best sequence in any Bond film not featuring Bond. Grand, epic, and eager to please. And it does.

DIE ANOTHER DAY
    Its second half (particularly the final 3rd) is riddled with flaws, and Halle Berry's Jinx is the worst Bond girl in the series, but this still showcases Brosnan at his best as Bond. Tamahori makes several awful choices (we all know what they are) but he injects a decisive energy into the film, a no-nonsense attitude, and a relentless pace that make it a thrill to watch. The first half or so (right up until the laser scene with Mr. Kil / Sith Lord entrance for Zao at the Ice Palace) is superb.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hey I agree! Not sure if it was clear in my post but I love the chase - clown - defusing sequence. I'm defending it here.
    Ooops, my bad, my friend! I blame the Martinis!

bondjames wrote: »

I agree with you @MayDayDiVicenzo. Moore was exceptional in this scene. He was wearing a bloody clown costume and you still felt the gravity of the situation. Now that is good acting if you ask me.

That very scene is one of the reasons why Octopussy is in my opinion the very best Roger Moore performance as James Bond. Great stuff!