2»

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    me too!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2015 Posts: 2,629
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Hey now...that Zoom was a key plot point. :))
    Octopussy-Seiko2.jpg

No, that was the series' lowest point for me. ;)

If anything, they need to focus on the watch's ability to zoom for at least another 40 seconds.

Hey cut me some slack, I was 18 when OP came out. 40 seconds was plenty of time back then.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2015 Posts: 2,629
    Oops double post.

I mean...boobies!

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Kerim wrote: »
    Hey cut me some slack, I was 18 when OP came out. 40 seconds was plenty of time back then.
    I was 23, and it went by real fast IMO.
    I'd just have Bond fly away in the PTS and preserve one of the best openings in Bond film history.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I can hardly be an OP fan and not comment on this discussion. I will grant some of you there are elements of the film that I would gladly see removed.
    However there is one area that we have discussed elsewhere, and it has many pro and con comments from many members. I am of course talking of the Bond dressing in a clown costume. Now I've seen a lot of comments on it being terrible...how can they dress Bond as a clown... it's silly. However I've never seen a legitimate alternative to the scene.
    Bond is being pursued by German Police as he attempts to gain entry to a Circus performance at a US Airbase in West Germany. After breaking through the entry gate and thus alerting the Airbase security along with the pursuing German Police he enters the area of the circus caravans to avoid capture. As everyone knows he's wearing a 'red shirt!' wouldn't it seem a good idea to change his clothing. And as he needs to get into the Circus big top undetected is it too inconceivable that a clown outfit would not only give him a change of clothes, but also change his appearance altogether. It hides his facial features, hair colour. But it also gives him instant access to the Bomb inside the Circus.
    The clue is in the Circus part. Clown...Circus.
    Whilst I don't want to see Bond dress up as a clown on a regular basis, I thought the way it transpired and the tension that it brought, as Bond frantically tried to convince everyone of the impending horror and convincing everyone of his credentials, was one of the highlights of Octopussy.
    Moore played it straight...dressed as a clown and succeeded in saving the day.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    How would I edit OP? Simple - I wouldn't.

It's flaws are what make it charming. It's lack of 'slick' is exactly why I prefer it to anything between LTK and CR...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Benny wrote: »

Quite right. It's actually a damned clever disguise considering the circumstances. Some people don't ever seem to take that into account.

As far as the gorilla costume goes... How in the world does Bond sneak into that thing without anyone noticing? I might edit that and some of the previously mentioned India gags. Other than that I think it's great.
    Whilst I don't want to see Bond dress up as a clown on a regular basis, I thought the way it transpired and the tension that it brought, as Bond frantically tried to convince everyone of the impending horror and convincing everyone of his credentials, was one of the highlights of Octopussy.

Absolutely. I despair at the fact that people continually point to the best part of the film and whine about it when it really works like gangbusters. It's almost as if Bond fans don't want their hero taken out of his comfort zone. What's the fun in that?
    Bond is being pursued by German Police as he attempts to gain entry to a Circus performance at a US Airbase in West Germany. After breaking through the entry gate and thus alerting the Airbase security along with the pursuing German Police he enters the area of the circus caravans to avoid capture. As everyone knows he's wearing a 'red shirt!' wouldn't it seem a good idea to change his clothing. And as he needs to get into the Circus big top undetected is it too inconceivable that a clown outfit would not only give him a change of clothes, but also change his appearance altogether. It hides his facial features, hair colour. But it also gives him instant access to the Bomb inside the Circus.
    YES!!!
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    One problem with Bond dressing as a clown that no one has mentioned is the time that it takes (it takes a lot of time) to put on full clown regalia. It is not as easy as slipping into a dinner jacket! And Bond does not half-ass his makeup. In reality it would have taken him at least an hour to dress as a clown, and so for this reason the scene does not work for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2015 Posts: 16,333
    I'd edit out The tarzan yell and the part where Bond is carpooling with a nice German family. :))
    One problem with Bond dressing as a clown that no one has mentioned is the time that it takes (it takes a lot of time) to put on full clown regalia. It is not as easy as slipping into a dinner jacket! And Bond does not half-ass his makeup. In reality it would have taken him at least an hour to dress as a clown, and so for this reason the scene does not work for me.
    Oh, I'm sorry, did you need your James Bond movies to be entirely realistic? I must assume then, apart from maybe FRWL, you dislike them all for similar, non-realistic reasons...?
    :))
    I'd like them not to be parodies, yes.
    Glad EON was embarrassed by DAD as it compared to the first Bourne film and decided to tell those kind of spy film stories with the Bond dash of style.
  • I'd like them not to be parodies, yes.
    Glad EON was embarrassed by DAD as it compared to the first Bourne film and decided to tell those kind of spy film stories with the Bond dash of style.

Goodness me, I have been a member of this forum for a day and all that you post is a dig at the Moore films. Now don't get me wrong, they are pretty clownish though I do enjoy them in their own way. But don't you have anything else to contribute, I mean, change the record man!

It can't be good for your health to be so committed to disliking something so much in this way.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Goodness me, I have been a member of this forum for a day and all that you post is a dig at the Moore films. Now don't get me wrong, they are pretty clownish though I do enjoy them in their own way. But don't you have anything else to contribute, I mean, change the record man!

It can't be good for your health to be so committed to disliking something so much in this way.

Priceless!!

A bit rich MartinAston complaining after one day! Think about the rest of us who have had to suffer it for what seems like centuries now.

And you'll be ecstatic to hear he never gets tired of repeating the same thing over and over again for the rest of infinity.

Strap yourself in old son - you're in for a long ride.
    Priceless!!

A bit rich MartinAston complaining after one day! Think about the rest of us who have had to suffer it for what seems like centuries now.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,138

You can read right dad? Because I pretty explicitly said that anyone who doesn't like OP should not post in this thread. If you're as polite as you think you'll take leave of this thread.
    I love the hairdryer messing up the reception. That was classic.
    Just to throw it out there...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I love the hairdryer messing up the reception. That was classic.
    Just to throw it out there...

Yes that bit was great. I love Barry's score during that whole escape, including the sort of military march add-on that comes in when Orlov arrives. Brilliant work
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,694
    bondjames wrote: »
    I love Barry's score during that whole escape, including the sort of military march add-on that comes in when Orlov arrives. Brilliant work
    Agreed.
    I also love that OP (as well as many others come to think of it) showed the human side of the Russians, their good & bad moments- very balanced in a film series that could have been so easily a simplistic and boring black & white.
    =D>
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Oh, I'm sorry, did you need your James Bond movies to be entirely realistic? I must assume then, apart from maybe FRWL, you dislike them all for similar, non-realistic reasons...?

I admit, @chrisisall, that I take my 007 AND my clowning very seriously.Very seriously, indeed. Those of you who don't--are still welcome to play along.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I also love that OP (as well as many others come to think of it) showed the human side of the Russians, their good & bad moments- very balanced in a film series that could have been so easily a simplistic and boring black & white.
    =D>

Agreed. That's the genius of the Bond films. They have stayed above the political fray so as not to date themselves or deliberately offend (unlike True Lies for example, whch may be offensive to some now).

Thankfully they've also stayed away from anything currently political as well, so as not to date them going forward. TND tried to give a balanced view of the Chinese by pinning it on a rogue general (Chang), and DAD balanced the Koreans by having younger Yoon/Graves as the baddie while making older Yoon/other Koreans essentially good..

In a way, that's why it's good that they're bringing back SPECTRE. They can always blame things on them in the plot and still include other countries in the mix without offending.
    That's the genius of the Bond films. They have stayed above the political fray so as not to date themselves or deliberately offend
    To maintain a timeless or more fantastical-version-of-reality quality.
    :)>-