From "Doctor No" to "SPECTRE": The Official Bond Movie Poster Topic

Comments

• I truly think Daniel Craig looks at his best on the 4th poster, the one for "SPECTRE". It looks like the least photoshopped picture! I hope everyone agrees with me??
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,588
    I truly think Daniel Craig looks at his best on the 4th poster, the one for "SPECTRE". It looks like the least photoshopped picture! I hope everyone agrees with me??
    You're right, he does look more natural in this poster compared to the teaser poster, but the lighting is terrible. It just doesn't look right. I don't mind the concept, however.
  • In terms of stylishness, I prefer the "SPECTRE" poster over the "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" poster:
    4ET3xB.jpg
    XGCKhN.jpg

And "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." poster:
    BO4tiI.jpg

I think we all can agree that movie posters nowadays are simply not painted/drawn anymore. They all are quite simple and stylish, especially when it concerns stylish spy/action films. It's a different story with comic book adaptations by the way (:|. Those posters generally hurt my eyes. TOO much going on on these posters.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm just the opposite, as I'd love to see a new Bond poster in the form of that 'Rogue Nation' poster. I'm growing tired of receiving some random pose from Craig and hardly anything else in a poster. It's lazy and incredibly dull. I keep waiting to look at the new poster and see it in a different light, but I don't. It's awful.

That CR teaser poster, however, is beautiful. I have a Spanish version of it (didn't know it was Spanish when I ordered it, but nothing is really altered language-wise aside from 'COMING SOON' is 'PROXIMAMENTE' on it), and it looks amazing on my wall.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm just the opposite, as I'd love to see a new Bond poster in the form of that 'Rogue Nation' poster. I'm growing tired of receiving some random pose from Craig and hardly anything else in a poster. It's lazy and incredibly dull. I keep waiting to look at the new poster and see it in a different light, but I don't. It's awful.

That CR teaser poster, however, is beautiful. I have a Spanish version of it (didn't know it was Spanish when I ordered it, but nothing is really altered language-wise aside from 'COMING SOON' is 'PROXIMAMENTE' on it), and it looks amazing on my wall.

Look at this beautiful poster for "Kingsman: The Secret Service":
    kingsman-german-poster.jpg

But as wonderful I might find it, I think if a similar design would be used for "SPECTRE", the quadrilogy-element might be lost completely. At least now you have a set of four Craig posters that wonderfully fit together. Which in a way is very unique as well.

And in all honesty, I wouldn't like "SPECTRE" to...copy-paste the "Live And Let Die" poster. Now that I find a bit cheap. Obviously, Fox can do that for "Kingsman", but from current Bond films I expect something that hasn't been done pre-Craig.

By the way, the "Mission: Impossible" poster in a way is also an action-heavy rip-off of the Brosnan-era of Bond posters. Especially the ones from "DAD" and "TWINE".
  • I can't be the only one who thinks the new SPECTRE poster looks cheap?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i dont mind the less is more approach when it comes to posters... but i do have to say, this latest one looks even more "fan photoshopped" than the one for SF.... was there any thought to what to put behind Dan? it's like they just chose a random still from the film and threw it back there... could've done so much more IMO.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Interesting take, but I tend to disagree. Poster with lots of people tend to be overcrowded and sometimes parodic. I prefer more sober posters in general.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i dont mind the less is more approach when it comes to posters... but i do have to say, this latest one looks even more "fan photoshopped" than the one for SF.... was there any thought to what to put behind Dan? it's like they just chose a random still from the film and threw it back there... could've done so much more IMO.

When solely looking at the picture (color, shadow, lighting, etc.) the "SPECTRE"-poster obviously looks the least photoshopped one. I personally.....love the poster. But then again, I am gay, I have an eye for fashion, and I always liked stills/shoots from expensive magazines (Esquire, Vanity Fair, Harper's Bazaar, campaigns from perfumes, Tom Ford, Jil Sander, etc.). I really think the "SPECTRE"-poster really shows us what style is about. Also, I simply adore his white tuxedo. Won-der-ful craftmanship from Tom Ford. Trendsetter!

In a way...the "U.N.C.L.E."-poster and the "SPECTRE"-poster have the same kind of 60-ies retro style. Simple and colorful.
  • Tobester95 wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who thinks the new SPECTRE poster looks cheap?

Off course not. But I don't mind being part of a minority who really likes the new poster ;-)

I have accepted that the DC posters are very minimal in what they show, but i have to say I love the new poster probably due to LALD being my first and favourite Bond movie.
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    I have accepted that the DC posters are very minimal in what they show, but i have to say I love the new poster probably due to LALD being my first and favourite Bond movie.

Me too @RogueAgent :-).

By the way, did someone notice that Daniel Craig is actually having a 2nd job behind-the-scenes (I always thought that Craig's involvement from a creative point of view was quite huge)? This is the first Bond-actor who gets co-producer credits! That's huge! Unprecedented. Sir Connery always wanted to have more involvement with his films. Before production started on "DAF" he wanted to have co-producer credits as well, which he eventually more or less got with the unofficial "NSNA".

In any case, it's huge news from that poster. It basically means that Daniel Craig at least returns for Bond #25 as crew member, co-producer.
  • Does anyone actually see the thematical reference of the poster? It's not just a skull behind 007. It's a ghost, from Bond's past, ready to resurrect itself. And that ghost eventually could be Blofeld.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399

When solely looking at the picture (color, shadow, lighting, etc.) the "SPECTRE"-poster obviously looks the least photoshopped one. I personally.....love the poster. But then again, I am gay, I have an eye for fashion, and I always liked stills/shoots from expensive magazines (Esquire, Vanity Fair, Harper's Bazaar, campaigns from perfumes, Tom Ford, Jil Sander, etc.). I really think the "SPECTRE"-poster really shows us what style is about. Also, I simply adore his white tuxedo. Won-der-ful craftmanship from Tom Ford. Trendsetter!

In a way...the "U.N.C.L.E."-poster and the "SPECTRE"-poster have the same kind of 60-ies retro style. Simple and colorful.

well, i may not be gay, but i am a graphic artist and have an eye for layout, color, typography and etc.. and I'm sorry - but this latest screams 'lazy' - 'rushed' - 'cheap' ... i can open up the SPECTRE FAN ARTS topic and find 10 posters that look better than the official poster..

color is fine - i dont mind the color, i think it's a perfect contrast to Dan's white tux... but WTF is up with the picture?.. is that really the focal point of the movie?
    (something that ends up taking place in PTS)
    .. it makes it look like the villain of the film is Baron Samedi - is this another tongue in cheek LALD reference??.. i mean, if so, it would be hilarious, but I'm willing to bet it's not..

i don't get a sense of 60s from the SP poster - if anything, it screams more contemporary "less is more" minimalist in design.... i am shocked they didn't just go the cliche' route, and do a closeup on his face (out of focus a little) and have the tag line of the film written lengthwise down the poster... the Kingsman and Man From UNCLE posters have more a retro 60s - 70s vibe than the SP poster..
  • HASEROT wrote: »

well, i may not be gay, but i am a graphic artist and have an eye for layout, color, typography and etc.. and I'm sorry - but this latest screams 'lazy' - 'rushed' - 'cheap' ... i can open up the SPECTRE FAN ARTS topic and find 10 posters that look better than the official poster..

color is fine - i dont mind the color, i think it's a perfect contrast to Dan's white tux... but WTF is up with the picture?.. is that really the focal point of the movie?
    (something that ends up taking place in PTS)
    .. it makes it look like the villain of the film is Baron Samedi - is this another tongue in cheek LALD reference??.. i mean, if so, it would be hilarious, but I'm willing to bet it's not..

i don't get a sense of 60s from the SP poster - if anything, it screams more contemporary "less is more"... i am shocked they didn't just go the cliche' route, and do a closeup on his face (out of focus a little) and have the tag line of the film written lengthwise down the poster... the Kingsman and Man From UNCLE posters have more a retro 60s - 70s vibe than the SP poster..

Well, let's disagree then ;-). In any case....I just posted this...down below:
    Does anyone actually see the thematical reference of the poster? It's not just a skull behind 007. It's a ghost, from Bond's past, ready to resurrect itself. And that ghost eventually could be Blofeld.

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm thinking way ahed. But, I'm wondering how B25's poster is gonna be like. It will surely continue what they started with on SF with Bond staring you in the eyes. I don't him looking at us, but it does make me feel unsafe sometime when I look at my SF poster on the wall. It's like he is saying: "I know were you keep your gun, suppose that's something"

Nah, I'm just kidding here. I do enjoy the SP poster more than SF's. Mostly because of the white dinner jacket, the silencer and of course the Day of the Dead background. I also really like the gold coloring on the text
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,263
    Daniel Craig looks good striking the pose, but I have to agree with @Creasy47. Not only for my own personal taste of seeing rich images of the faces and places of the story, but also because Spectre is attempting to capture so much of the retro vibe. With all of the great locales and set pieces that have been used for this film and we only get this is completely unimaginative.

I studied fine art through high school all 4 years before moving on to more worldly studies. My bias is to have a nice piece of art for a poster. It's not even for nostalgic purposes since I grew up in the 90s when most posters already featured basic designs and digit imaging. The last great poster was The Living Daylights. We need more of that.
  • Well, I guess taste differs....
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    That's the poster? Seriously? For a second I genuinely thought it was a fan photoshop job. Good lord.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The CR posters are the best ones. The only SPECTRE poster I like is the one where he's channeling Moore's Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Well, I guess taste differs....

Seriously, anyone who likes this poster is absolutely entitled to, but knows jack about what constitutes good art and/or design.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    So another pop at the fan art?

Frankly the only limitations on the quality of the fan art seen on this site is the usually woeful resolution image quality scrounged (if at all) from extensive googling and the complete lack of relevant reference. Not something the guy(s) producing the latest official offering can say where not only would they have the pick of the best max res image but even the possibility of dictating which pose they want DC to stand and hold his gun, thrust his hips out etc etc. ;)

The result just looks unimaginative rather than bad - it's just a safe and predictable production rather than sophisticated. That's where the teaser poloneck poster was. There's no movement, drama or creativity present and the colours are muted and dead. On the other hand, fan art seen on this site has really been very creative, clever and thought provoking, exactly because they're being created by really into anything/ everything Bond fans.

For a moment there it looked like SP would have something about it with the new posters where the initial bullet tentacles landed but it's back to business as usual again now.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone who likes this poster is absolutely entitled to, but knows jack about what constitutes good art and/or design.
    The disappointing thing about this poster is that it lacks artistic composition. It's clear that it is designed to match their brand, not to immerse anyone in the piece.
  • RC7RC7
    Mansfield wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    The disappointing thing about this poster is that it lacks artistic composition. It's clear that it is designed to match their brand, not to immerse anyone in the piece.

Precisely. It's poor on so many levels.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just think for a film that is trying to rival the most successful Bond film, one with a lot of the same cast and crew returning to try and make something better than SF (solely speaking on how critically hailed it was), this is a very poor and uninspired poster that offers little in the excitement or beauty department. Seems like it was thrown together in a very short period of time. I look at it and wonder where the thrills are, where are the Bond girls and allies and villains and other bits from the film? Instead, we get Craig in an awkwardly forced pose, nothing more.
    If I was employed for the job, just looking at their campaign leading up to this point with the set photos and trailers released to the public, they could have done a very artistic interpretation of a chess board for the poster. Not only is it featured in one of the most buzzed about scenes in the trailer with Mr. White, but it also matches the architectural interior of Spectre's castle. They could display several of the characters depicted as pieces on different places of the board with the right perspective to emphasize characters such as Bond and Oberhauser.
  • RC7RC7
    Mansfield wrote: »
    If I was employed for the job, just looking at their campaign leading up to this point with the set photos and trailers released to the public, they could have done a very artistic interpretation of a chess board for the poster. Not only is it featured in one of the most buzzed about scenes in the trailer with Mr. White, but it also matches the architectural interior of Spectre's castle. They could display several of the characters depicted as pieces on different places of the board with the right perspective to emphasize characters such as Bond and Oberhauser.

That's actually a concept, though. They don't do that with Bond posters anymore.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I do like these posters for the Bond movies but, man, I long for the days of the painted posters from the 60's, 70's, 80's, such great work. Nowadays, with that photoshop (or whatever it's called) etc, while some look good, I feel they can be slightly dull. I'd love to see the later movies done in a style such as those. Anyone know if anything like that has ever been tried?
  • I do like these posters for the Bond movies but, man, I long for the days of the painted posters from the 60's, 70's, 80's, such great work. Nowadays, with that photoshop (or whatever it's called) etc, while some look good, I feel they can be slightly dull. I'd love to see the later movies done in a style such as those. Anyone know if anything like that has ever been tried?

It's great work, but simply put not really fitting for the Daniel Craig era of Bond films. IMO they should be seen as a quadrilogy. And I think it would be rather....off-putting if suddenly the "SPECTRE" poster would be drawn out like this:

SPY_MondoPoster.jpg

So in all honesty, I prefer "The Dark Knight Trilogy" approach of posters....where there is some common design. Even later, when you buy your steelbook set....it looks way more coherent on your desk.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    That would have been much preferred. Not sure why you're obsessed with this quadrilogy idea.