Shirley Bassey for Spectre?

jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
in SPECTRE Posts: 10,588
Now this may be just a huge shot in the dark, but am I the only one who thinks that bringing back Shirley Bassey for the Spectre title song would be absolutely ingenious? I know she's in her late 70s, but she is still more than capable of recording a fantastic and memorable Bond song. Of course it has been reported that the artist for the Spectre theme had already been chosen, so it's only a matter of time before we find out the artist for the theme song.

Thoughts?

Comments

• In a word..YES!
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Oh, that would be sweet!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm all for it. One more Bond song under her belt would be nice. :)
  • She's got my vote.
    Im sorry I'm going to be that guy. I do not want Bassey singing another Bond theme
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Im sorry I'm going to be that guy. I do not want Bassey singing another Bond theme

I'll second that. Goldfinger is a classic; Diamonds are Forever is beautiful. I'm not a fan of Moonraker. At this point I fear a Bassey song would come off as a caricature of anothe era
    talos7 wrote: »

I'll second that. Goldfinger is a classic; Diamonds are Forever is beautiful. I'm not a fan of Moonraker. At this point I fear a Bassey song would come off as a caricature of anothe era

Exactly lets leave her Legacy alone.
    She no longer has the vocal power she had 50 years ago. Let it be.

• CrabKey wrote: »

That being said, she still has a lot more power in her voice than many of the newer artists from today. I'd be totally cool with her doing it but my first choice is still Paloma Faith.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    CrabKey wrote: »

Don't you mean...

tumblr_inline_n8gikpZ6761s1tdv8.gif

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I would not mind Bassey at all. I find it really doubtful, though.

Since the title song is finished, maybe not completely, but they do have one according to quote by Ben W. ... that means the singer is one of the biggest and best kept secrets. I find no real leaks or strong hints anywhere. Not really. Therefore, I am leaning towards: Adele or Sam Smith (whose work I really do not know).

If it were Shirley, I'd be happy. But I do think it is good that Bond films showcase new or current contemporary artists.
    I would enjoy seeing her get to sing another title song, but I can see why they want to have the younger artists who can connect with the younger crowds better. I would love to see lots of artists get a chance to do a Bond title that will probably never be selected. I always thought Annie Lennox would be a great choice with her strong voice.

As long as the song isn't ruined by a terrible duet of two incompatible voices it will probably be ok.
    Can't see that happening! She has 3 classics already.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Annie Lennox would have been wonderful.
    I'd enjoy Caro Emerald, but I truly would not mind Adele again.
    I need to go listen to some vids of Sam Smith.
    How about an instrumental, no lyrics title sequence like OHMSS? Seeing as it has not been used in years, what about an extended version of the 007 theme?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    what about an extended version of the 007 theme?

That would be fantastic, if they had a new take on it.

Sadly, it won't happen, and neither will Bassey. @Suivez_ce_parachute made an excellent point yesterday on another thread that the title track is a massive driver of the Box office take. Adele probably had a significant impact in putting rears in theatres during SF's run, since her single was #1 in some places for quite some time and that just raised awareness among the masses constantly.

So Bassey doesn't have the pulling power any more. They likely will do whatever it takes to get Adele back again.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    what about an extended version of the 007 theme?

That would be fantastic, if they had a new take on it.

Sadly, it won't happen, and neither will Bassey. @Suivez_ce_parachute made an excellent point yesterday on another thread that the title track is a massive driver of the Box office take. Adele probably had a significant impact in putting rears in theatres during SF's run, since her single was #1 in some places for quite some time and that just raised awareness among the masses constantly.

So Bassey doesn't have the pulling power any more. They likely will do whatever it takes to get Adele back again.
    I think they'll go for someone else other than Adele, as she's not as relevant as she was back in 2012. But I'm sure they'll go with someone who's popular and probably another British artist.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think they'll go for someone else other than Adele, as she's not as relevant as she was back in 2012. But I'm sure they'll go with someone who's popular and probably another British artist.

You could be correct. It would be great if they kicked it up a notch and went with someone like the Rolling Stones. Wouldn't that be something. Bring all the geezers into the theatre.

Or better yet, get Prince.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 90
    Bring Bassey back or The Kings Of Leon.
    Have Garbage take another shot at a Bond song
    I'm probably reading too much into it, or it's just a coincidence, but Bassey just appeared on 'The Royal Variety Performance 2014' and when she was performing a song entitled 'I'm still here', the stage lighting had 'Goldfinger' and 'Moonraker' shining in the background. I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, but with filming just started, i was wondering if it could be some sort of hint?.
    Have Garbage take another shot at a Bond song

Garbage was wasted; they were(are) capable of producing a much better song, as are Madonna and Jack White and......

• edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I vote Rolling Stones
    I can hear the Keith Richards Bond-theme guitar riffing as I type. Lea and Monica can dance in the video.

Dream year for those girls.Cast for Bond girl and a Rolling Stones video.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just the title, Spectre conjures up me imagining Portishead providing one of the greatest never to happen themes of the series . Their Barry influenced (not copied) sound would be so right.

Beth Gibbons would be incredible with Barrow and Utley providing the sound scapes, something like All Mine would be heavenly but as they don't have half the commercial appeal of the hotly tipped Sam Smith (I hope not) it would never happen.

Also Radiohead would be incredible, Craig's a big fan and interviewed Thom Yorke sometime back.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Her recent attempt at Bond, a rejected song for Quantum of Solace was not particularly good. Would be surprised if they chose Bassey, she had her time. Personally would not be against having a instrumental title track, though probably unlikely.
    Portishead would be incredible; but they don't stand a chance.
    I really want Yes
    Her recent attempt at Bond, a rejected song for Quantum of Solace was not particularly good. Would be surprised if they chose Bassey, she had her time. Personally would not be against having a instrumental title track, though probably unlikely.

Totally disagree with this, thought her QoS song embarrassed the lame chosen song.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    My heart says yes by all means lets let Dame Bassey have another go. My head says it's going to be someone trendy. Loved the user who posted Annie Lennox I think that would be a solid choice.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I don't think Bassey's alternative song was amazing per se, but it's certainly an improvement on AWTD.

I mean, comparing it to Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever, it's not half as good. Why use something that is "half baked" and has been done so much more better in the past?

I think a completely new song and singers would have greatly benefitted QOS.