I have had enough of Youuuuuuuuuu!

In your opinion what are the greatest face offs between protagonist and antagonist in cinema and TV?

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Kirk vs Kruge on the planet Genesis in Star Trek III, great intensity a planet dying a friend needing to be saved. Two people intent on killing each other as a planets core erupts around them. Epic and Bill is at his best, James Horner's score elevates it further in greatness. Also Lloyd's performance as a Klingon defined Klingons for decades to come.

Benicio Del Toro vs Tommy Lee Jones in The Hunted. Freidkin reminds us what an exceptional film maker he is, the final confrontation is taught tense and raw. Del Toro is only fulfilling his function, and Jones needs to end him. Old school film making though for me one of the best films in it genre.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Kirk gave Krudge the boot in the face; Bond gave Necros the boot itself!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Kirk gave Krudge the boot in the face; Bond gave Necros the boot itself!

Need to watch The living Daylights again its overdue. That's a great fight scene, if only the boot had been supplied by Q branch it may have had a hidden parachute

;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    John McClane vs Hans Gruber in Die Hard

Rocky Balboa vs Apollo Creed / Clubber Lang / Ivan Drago in the Rocky films

Dr. Sam Loomis vs Michael Myers in the Halloween films

James Bond vs Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye

Sarah Conner vs The T-800 in The Terminator

Ellen Ripley vs The Queen in Aliens

Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader in Star Wars

Sgt. Nicholas Angel vs The Neighborhood Watch Alliance in Hot Fuzz

i'm sure there is more...

Television.. the only thing i really watch that have defined protagonists and antagonists in TV shows is Supernatural... so with that in mind..

Sam and Dean Winchester vs. The Yellow Eyed Demon / Lilith / Satan / The Leviathans
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ripley and the queen in Aliens, obviously. One mother versus another. One trying to cope with her own feelings of guilt for never making it to her daughter's birthday, the other defending her children. Ripley looks at her, Newt next to her. She moves her head ever so slightly... and then unleashes hell! Best giving-the-finger moment EVER.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The ending of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is up there.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ripley and the queen in Aliens, obviously. One mother versus another. One trying to cope with her own feelings of guilt for never making it to her daughter's birthday, the other defending her children. Ripley looks at her, Newt next to her. She moves her head ever so slightly... and then unleashes hell! Best giving-the-finger moment EVER.
    Some very good subtext in that film, exceptional movie.

The ending of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is up there.
    The three way stand off is one of the most tense scenes in westerns, Leone was a master. Angel eyes and Frank two of the best villains of all time.

Conan vs Thulsa Doom, one of my favourite films. Ultimately heart and spirit conquering nihilism.

Kirk vs The Gorn probably the greatest fight of all time.
    ;))
    Conan vs Thulsa Doom, one of my favourite films. Ultimately heart and spirit conquering nihilism.
    Pure awesomeness.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Mills vs. John Doe in Seven
    Walter White vs. Hank Schrader in Breaking Bad
    JR Ewing vs. Cliff Barnes in Dallas
    Holmes vs. Moriarty in Sherlock
    Bond vs. Blofeld in Dr. No to DAF (except for GF)
    Gibson vs. Paul Spector in the Fall (Work in process - honourable mention)

And of course, la piece de resistance.....the mother of all battles.......

Mr. Frodo Baggins vs. Dark Lord Sauron in the LTR series
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Pure awesomeness.
    Totally the last few minutes of the uncut version are epic!
    :)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Pure awesomeness.
    The whole film is epic, and will quite probably NEVER be topped. And yeah, the uncut is the way to go.
    Pure awesomeness.
    The whole film is epic, and will quite probably NEVER be topped. And yeah, the uncut is the way to go.
    Agreed! When Subotai says Conan does not cry, so I cry for him when Valeria is getting her Viking funeral is awesome.

@bondjames The toboggan chase my favourite confrontation between Bond and Blofeld.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    @bondjames The toboggan chase my favourite confrontation between Bond and Blofeld.

Yes, @fire_and_ice, loved that one as well as the FYEO pretitles (if that was in fact Blofeld). Interesting how they didn't really have that much in the way of one-on-one physical confrontations in the movies, despite being protagonist and antagonist over the course of 6 films in the 60's/70's.

I'm hoping that the upcoming SPECTRE adds to the history & folklore surrounding this exemplary rivalry.
    Be interesting to see if in SPECTRE if Blofeld is Bonds physical and intellectual match.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Harrison Ford vs Red Grant...uhm...I mean Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Sherlock & Moriarty top of the waterfall. Jeremy Brett's Era I remember watching this at the time you just dont expect the outcome.
    The showdown at the end of Devil's Advocate is great. (And there's that fantastic coda too)
    Harrison Ford vs Red Grant...uhm...I mean Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner.
    A thing of beauty.