Is 'A View to a Kill' in need of a critical reappraisal?

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for AVTAK...it's dropped a bit in my rankings mainly because I've found a new appreciation for other films, but for me it's largely enjoyable and entertaining. Call me childish but the taxi driver cracks me up and when Bond falls onto the wedding cake it's hilarious. I find the 80s much more entertaining than the 70s...doesn't mean they're better films but I'd rather watch pop them in the blu ray player

Oh god lol

I know what you mean about the soft spot though. I have that for GE.

I still haven't worked out he says before he gets carjacked...it sounds like "is in english".

But for me, GE isn't a soft spot it's a uhh hard on...always...onatopp of my Bond films to rewatch.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    The defense of some of these poorly-rated Moore films amuses me. There's that closed list of cringe-worthy moments in the series, and most of them are from Moore films.
    The pictures were generally bad and deserve their status as such.

This ‘status of bad films’ you talk of may well include AVTAK, a film that, as much as some like it (which I can accept no prob – hell - TLD is amongst my top 3 favorites of the series, contrary to many) probably does have to be considered one of the weakest in the franchise, but to say that ‘most’ of Moore’s Bondfilms have a bad status is really missing the point of the whole 007 microcosm.

They go beyond simply being films... they are icons of our youth, past or present, they are like a big tub of comfort-food – a veritable bucket of Ben&Jerries. And in the ‘comfort-film’ stakes Roger Moore’s films rank very highly indeed. His Bondfilms are like a big fuzzy blanket of 007 warmth, something to wrap yourself up in now and again.

Bond falls into a WEDDING CAKE?????

Does he slip on a banana peel as well?

Good grief, a long, long way from the classic Bonds.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080
    God, your spam-like comments do become tiring...
    @Pierce2Daniel has created an interesting topic for discussion, and you just blight it with your pithy comments. I have seen no constructive comments thus far, so if you don't have anything thoughtful or insightful to say, why post at all?

You don't see me posting on Goldfinger threads "Bond looks a right d*ck with that bloody seagull on his head LOL".
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I have to admit, I liked it when I watched back in 1985 at the movie theatre and later on watching the video tape. This being my third Bond movie at the cinema (First one being OP, and, second, NSNA - without knowing, that it was a "remake of TB, which somehow gave me a strange feeling first time I watched TB on TV). It has its flaws, the major one, as people in this thread pointed out, ignoring Moore's age, and have him bedding women half his age. The scene with May day was ... strange. His relationship with Stacey at first looked to me also "patriarchal", which I did not think to be too bad, but then they ruined it with the final scene, which looked like the authors saying "Wait, does not Bond always have sex with the 'Bond Girl' at the end? The Stacy character is also little unconvincing, whether to blame solely Tanya Roberts or the script, I can't tell. The Beach Boy bit in the PTS was silly IMO, also the iceberg submarine and Bond getting this girl laid as well.
    Okay, so for the good stuff: I love Barry's score (for me one of his best in the series), and I love the Duran Duran song (I was 15 back then, and Duran Duran was simply *cool*. Christopher Walken's Zorin is an excellent villain, and Walken is on top form in this movie. And, of course there is Patrick Macnee as Sir Godfrey Tibbett, I also like the on-screen-chemistry between Macnee and Moore, it is just such a joy to watch it.
    Certainly not the best Bond ever, but it's just two hours of entertainment, and that's what Bond movies are for me.
    +1 to this thread. I enjoy AVTAK
    @Pierce2Daniel has created an interesting topic for discussion, and you just blight it with your pithy comments. I have seen no constructive comments thus far, so if you don't have anything thoughtful or insightful to say, why post at all?

You don't see me posting on Goldfinger threads "Bond looks a right d*ck with that bloody seagull on his head LOL".

You could, and you'd be right, but no one would take you seriously because GF is a much better film and can withstand that kind of criticism.

• Just chiming in, I love AVTAK, I think Walken is one of the best villains in the franchise, fantastic theme song as well! Sure there's beach boys music but lots of bond films had cheeky moments like that. Remember the tennis court sounds in Octopussy? That was even worse (loved that movie too :-p )
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    The first problem with the Beach Boys song is the producers chose the wrong song. The Beach Boys famously sing about girls, cars and surfing, and this scene could have used a surfing song such as "Surfin' Safari" or "Surfin' USA," but instead they went with "California Girls" which is a song about girls. Fail! Personally, I'd have used "Good Vibrations."

The second problem is that it's not even actually the Beach Boys, it's a cheesy sound-alike cover band. Fail! "Spend some money on the real thing, ya cheap bastard," is not something I enjoy having to say to James Bond.

And can you imagine if they had actually hired the Beach Boys to score this bit? Got them to compose a 30-second "Surfin Suspense" stinger, or possibly hum the James Bond Theme in five-part harmony? Maybe get Dick Dale on guitar? Wouldn't that be cool?

But it is what it is: a cringe-inducing misstep.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    AVTAK is not as bad as it once seemed to me. There is something about the '80s that suited Bond films...perhaps the Cold War. And of course a Barry score always elevates a film.

You could, and you'd be right, but no one would take you seriously because GF is a much better film and can withstand that kind of criticism.

Oh, Goldfinger has been ripped to shreds elsewhere on this forum, so I don't think that comment holds true LOL

In fact, it's a pretty ridiculous comment considering some of our most respected members of this forum are detractors of GF.

• In fact, it's a pretty ridiculous comment considering some of our most respected members of this forum are detractors of GF.

Then they shouldn't be respected.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    It's been a while since I've seen AVTAK. While entertaining, it's my least favourite of the Roger Moore films....

I just feel Moore is too old in this one. He looks like Walken's father in their scenes together. He and Tibbet seem like they belong in a senior citizen's club. It's almost like they cast Macnee just to make Moore look younger (in comparison). And let me state now, that I am a massive fan of Roger Moore's Bond.

I feel the stunt doubles are too obvious here too, something that also affects OP.

The film has an 'end of era' feel to me, since it is Rog's last Bond after such a long run, and also the great Maxwell's last too (and she too looks too old in this one - I liked the way they introduced Penelope Smallbone in OP, & maybe should have used her here, although letting Maxwell finish her run with Moore was probably the right thing to do).

Additionally, I think pairing him with Roberts was a mistake. Someone more his age, like Adams in OP, would have been more suitable. The seduction scene at Zorin's residence seems a little creepy, but part of that is because "Mistaaaaaa SinJin Smith"'s character is a little obnoxious (I'm not all that enamoured with this 'disguise' of Bond's).

I am not a big fan of Jone's May Day either, although I can see why some may be drawn to her unusual character.

I don't find the movie particularly ambitious. To me it doesn't seem to have 'scale' like the Bonds of old, but it does not have the feeling of a straight tone down thriller like FYEO either. Some of the GF overtures are a little obvious too.

Music score is great (Barry is always outstanding).

Parisian scenes are well done. San Francisco could have been filmed better, and there should have been a car chase on those bumpy streets. That was a missed opportunity. Scene at Tracy's house and the quiche are also low points to me (somewhat tv movie like IMO).

So I wouldn't say it is 'critically' appealing, but it is certainly enjoyable enough, in that comedic way that Moore's latter films are. Just not up to the level of OP or MR for me (the two other less serious entries of his that border on comedy as well, and which I enjoy more).
    Coldfinger wrote: »

In fact, it's a pretty ridiculous comment considering some of our most respected members of this forum are detractors of GF.

For having an opinion?

Bingo!

For having an opinion?

If the opinion is to dislike Goldfinger while supporting AVTAK, OP and it's ilk, then yes, do not be surprised if said opinion is taken with a grain of salt.

The world sees GF as one of the best spy films ever made, while AVTAK and OP are just awful representations of not only film work but nearly ran the series into the ground, and if at this point you don't see that, then you never will.

It's like saying that Battlefield Earth is better than STar Wars (1977)

You can hold that opinion, just don't expect it to be taken seriously.

AVTAK is just as good as GE. What a laugh.
    When I last saw GF a few months back one thing I soon noticed was that, despite a few serious scenes, its noticeably more comic and light-hearted compared to the previous two films. Perhaps this is why its got more detractors these days?
    You've pretty much just admitted that you don't respect other members opinions for having the opposite opinion of yourself, and you don't take them, seriously (you think people are lying? What?).

Then why are you here?

This forum prides itself on its hundreds of contributors who all have different opinions and tastes about Bond films, and the vast majority of members respect each others opinions etc. even if they differ considerably than they're own. Heck, some great friendships have been made on this site by people who have the exact opposite views when it comes to Bond films.

To state that you don't take people seriously just because they state that X film is better than Y is really quite sad.

For having an opinion?

nearly ran the series into the ground, and if at this point you don't see that, then you never will.

You're just lying to yourself here. Nobody has ever, despite what they think of the quality of the films, disputed that they were box office successes. They were successful as always at the box office. Octopussy wiped the floor with Connery's Never Say Never Again in 1983.

Again, it seems that nobody will ever get anywhere with you because YOUR opinion always has to stand, and everybody else's differing opinions are WRONG.

Birdleson wrote: »
    . Octopussy wiped the floor with Connery's Never Say Never Again in 1983.

To be fair, OP won comfortably, but it wasn't a trouncing or even that great margin. 188 million vs 160 million.

That's right.
    As an addendum (not germaine to this discussion) to that, the only Bond films to have been considered to have "underperformed" (by Bond standards) upon release were OHMSS, TMWTGG and LTK, with those first two still managing to be among the highest grossing films in the year that they came out, respectively.

Totally fair comment.
    You've pretty much just admitted that you don't respect other members opinions for having the opposite opinion of yourself, and you don't take them, seriously (you think people are lying? What?).

Then why are you here?

This forum prides itself on its hundreds of contributors who all have different opinions and tastes about Bond films, and the vast majority of members respect each others opinions etc. even if they differ considerably than they're own. Heck, some great friendships have been made on this site by people who have the exact opposite views when it comes to Bond films.

To state that you don't take people seriously just because they state that X film is better than Y is really quite sad.

For having an opinion?

nearly ran the series into the ground, and if at this point you don't see that, then you never will.

You're just lying to yourself here. Nobody has ever, despite what they think of the quality of the films, disputed that they were box office successes. They were successful as always at the box office. Octopussy wiped the floor with Connery's Never Say Never Again in 1983.

Again, it seems that nobody will ever get anywhere with you because YOUR opinion always has to stand, and everybody else's differing opinions are WRONG.

Actually I've stated quite often that my opinions are my own.

I don't honestly know why a comment that Goldfinger is a much superior film than AVTAK angers you so. That's pretty much a given.
    I can enjoy AVTAK, but it was made at a point in the franchise when the producers were going for comfort and humor, with quality not being so much of a concern. I often feel that these GF detractors seem to be overcompensating due to the praise that the film (deservedly so, in my opinion) has garnered over the decades. I won't go so far as to say that the criticisms are completely arbitrary and without basis, but it baffles me that one can step back objectively (as a film citric/fan/what-have-you) and not be able to clearly see that GF (and FRWL) is on a far higher plane than the Bond films made in the '80s and '90s. I dig all of Bond films, and my rankings are diverse, but the disparity seems obvious. From '62 to '69, even if those were not your favorite films, the franchise was certainly trying to top itself with each outing. I don't think that even EON could argue that the same level of ambition and creativity went into the Moore era.

And you can certainly disagree with @doubleohdad (I certainly have at times), but I have never considered any of his posts, though rude at times, to be "spamming" or "trolling". He seems completely fairly to me.

Thanks man, appreciate it. We don't all have to agree, and we can always do it politely, in my opinion.

The 62 to 69 run is possibly the most consistent run of quality for any major franchise.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    When I last saw GF a few months back one thing I soon noticed was that, despite a few serious scenes, its noticeably more comic and light-hearted compared to the previous two films. Perhaps this is why its got more detractors these days?

I like GF a lot, but do prefer FRWL, TB and OHMSS.
    Just me.

Then why are you here?

For having an opinion?

Actually I've stated quite often that my opinions are my own.

Actually you don't.

Then why are you here?

For having an opinion?

I don't honestly know why a comment that Goldfinger is a much superior film than AVTAK angers you so. That's pretty much a given.

I don't see it. Take it as you will. It's purely my opinion , but of course, it's wrong!

And not to gripe, but why do you have to post five consecutive posts? Why can't you just type everything you have to say into one comment?
    Ironic that I state that my opinions are my own, while you state that other opinions are wrong.

You sure seem to not mind telling people that they are wrong, yet bristle when someone states what is conventional opinion, and then you state that other opinions don't matter.

Soooooo, in the end, my opinions are my own, while you are stating that ONLY. YOURS. MATTER.
    Ironic that I state that my opinions are my own, while you state that other opinions are wrong.

You sure seem to not mind telling people that they are wrong, yet bristle when someone states what is conventional opinion, and then you state that other opinions don't matter.

Soooooo, in the end, my opinions are my own, while you are stating that ONLY. YOURS. MATTER.

No, not at all. It is in fact you who posts comments as if they are fact.

I don't care whatsoever whether somebody thinks Die Another Day is the best Bond film ever.
    (shrug)
    Sure does not seem that way.
    Otherwise, why bellyache over opinions that others have?

Certainly this thread is full of your objections to other's opinions.
    Otherwise, why bellyache over opinions that others have?

Certainly this thread is full of your objections to other's opinions.

Because you constantly post bashful comments about Moore on every thread you post! They are not constructive and blight insightful discussion such as the one created by @Pierce. You have nothing constructive to post, so why bother?

"Full of my objections to others opinions"??

Funny, only yours!

Everybody else who has stated they dislike the film have done so with constructive posts.

I had a disagreement with @Pierce in a polite debate, where I thought a point he made was a little bit of an exaggeration. That's all. Stop speaking in hyperboles.
    They are certainly only my opinions, I have stated such again and again, so why bother if you say you don't care what anyone thinks?
    lol
    :)