Is 'For Your Eyes Only' the most boring James Bond film?

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    For me DAF is a strong contender for "most boring Bond film"
    You are English? I speak English. Who is your floor?

:)) Brilliant.

Brilliant??

Cringeworthy is more like it...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    jobo wrote: »
    Brilliant??
    Cue the Connery bashing....
    #-o
    To be honest I get the feeling that those who appreciate it most were those who were young at the time it was made. I suppose you can say that about a lot of the films but it seems particularly relevant to DAF. It's very much a film OF it's era.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    jobo wrote: »
    Brilliant??
    Cue the Connery bashing....
    #-o

Funny that, the difference between "criticism" and "bashing". ;) If its regarding someone/something you like, its "bashing" I guess. If its someone/something you don't like, its valid criticism! :)) I have never bashed Connery, and Im not about to start.

Tom Mankiewicz on the other hand... :> Give me the cue and I'm off! (The only problem is that the name so difficult to spell... Hope I got it right :-S)

I like FYEO.

No way is DAF the most boring. Weird, crazy, far out. Never boring.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I find the second half particularly very dull.

The first half is sometimes amusing but not exactly top quality film-making.

In fact DAF is probably one of the very few Bond films I genuinely struggle to finish. It always has been.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I thought Connery was just milking it and collecting a paycheque for his charity in DAF. He should have at least attempted to get a better toupee and lose some weight. I was not a fan of Tiffany Case either. Having said that, @DarthDimi has made an excellent case for the movie earlier in this thread, so I will rewatch it soon with an open mind....

RE :FYEO - I think @MooseWithFleas said it well re: boring vs. forgettable. True, there is no boring Bond film. It's all relative. IMO.

Kristatos, Kriegler & Locque were all 'forgettable villains' to me....relatively speaking. In particular, I missed the witty banter between Bond & his adversaries in this film. I don't think Locque even said anything. So I was refreshed to see the traditional 'one on one' with Kamal Khan in OP at the game table in India as a return to form.
    It was entirely appropriate Bond should be showing his age a bit by DAF.
    DAF is way more boring.
  • FYEO certainly has boring parts but I don't think it is boring. Don't really think any Bond film is boring.

I certainly disagree with all you DAF-dissers (hehe) about it being boring.

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record but I think TWINE is easily the most boring Bond film.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I was about to say - TWINE bores the socks off me. DAD is awful but sort car crash telly - so actively, positively bad that it cannot be boring. While TWINE just makes you want to top yourself.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I disagree in general but you bring up an interesting point: FYEO is a rare Bond film in that its third act is very strong. I love all the stuff from the keel hauling forward. The second act sags, though.

I nominate TMWTGG as the most boring Bond film. Despite its settings, it doesn't feel exotic or exciting to me; it's just...blah. Lee can be a great villain but in this one he's rather colorless beyond the PTS and the (all-too-brief) Maud Adams scenes.
    It's quite difficult for me to actually sit through TWINE at all, so it is my most 'boring' film.
    This boring talk is boring me. :P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    No, FYEO is definitely not boring.
    You can complain about the PTS and the very silly Thatcher lite ending, but that's about it for me. Overall, it is one of the better Bond films in general and has a good mixture of everything. It is usually tied with TSWLM as my fav Moore Bond film.
    @4EverBonded, you tell 'em!!! =D>
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    All this love for FYEO...making me delirious!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I don't know how this turned into a DAF thread, but watching it again...most of the stuff is cringeworthy for Bond but it's just really entertaining

"The stiff...hemhem...deceased back there. Your brother, Mr Franks?"
    "I godda brudda"
    "Small world"

"Tell him he's fired"

And of course the best ally....Klaus Hergersheimer, and the way Bond pretends to insert the card.

But back to FYEO, I used to quite like it, but now I like a lot of the other films better. It's a rather vanilla entry and doesn't evoke many emotions about it. Compared with the other films of 80s, Barry's scores immediately put me in the mood, and no matter how bad AVTAK may or may not be, the score is enough for me to watch it...and enjoy it
  • The film is just so drab and banal for me. I'm not saying it's a terrible film as a result, just distinctively unremarkable.

Even the more outrageous Bond films are able to provoke a reaction out of you even if it is hatred. In regards to FYEO, I find it hard to really muster up any clear emotion, instead I'm mostly apathetic about the entire thing.

The film really wears it's influences on it's sleeve; there is a healthy dose of Hitchcock as well as OHMSS and FRWL in there and that mixture sounds fantastic. But the actual end result is severely lacking.

Glen is great at directing action and the film is welcomingly violent but it's such a dry and sexless affair. The best Bond films have a romantic, glamorous and exotic tone, however, Glen's film is slightly more prudish in comparison. Bond's relationship with Melina is far from sexual and 007's interest in her is more avuncular then anything else so when they do kiss at the end it's uncomfortable and forced.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    There's sort of a QoS element to FYEO for me.

The Bond girl is out for revenge, Bond is more serious than normal, the villains are relatively 'forgettable' (to me) compared to other villains in this illustrious series, and the finale is a relative let-down (for me).

I also get the feeling that, while enjoyable, it could have been so much more, and is a missed opportunity on some levels, a feeling that I also get when watching QoS but for different reasons. I don't get that feeling when watching OP or CR for instance (they're all they could be for me, and hit the nail on the head in terms of what they were out to achieve).

In both cases, the actor does an excellent job of portraying Bond, but I personally prefer his portrayal in other movies in the series.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Roger Moore is fatally miscast in this film.
    I can't agree with that at all. Moore did a fantastic job of taking a more reserved approach (for the most part) to the role this time around. I felt that this version of Bond was more human than in most of the other Moore films. There were several instances where Bond was truly in danger and there would be no convenient gadgets to pull him out of the fire. Moore did a good job of displaying that fear and also the courage to fight his way out of it. Also, kicking Locque off the cliff was one of Sir Rog's absolute best moments as Bond. To say that he sleepwalked his way through the film is a bit absurd.
    I can understand how some might feel that FYEO can be boring in some of it's slower stretches but for my money it's definitely a top ten Bond film.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,107
    For Your Eyes Only is a great Bond film ! It's everything but not boring.

the-shadow-10-o.gif

• edited November 2014 Posts: 4,400
    Bond is much more stilted in this film and Moore is at his best when he's given lighter material.

His take on Bond is slightly more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek, he does not have the innate levels of cool that Connery had. Moore has to work harder to make the audience really admire him, Connery just has to turn up and the guy oozes sexual charisma. This is something that Broccoli clearly noticed when he made the first four Moore films as more reliance is placed on playing up the angle of Bond being a dandy-esque playboy, something not immediately evident in the Connery portrayal.

Roger Moore isn't a cool hard tough guy, like Connery or Craig. The characterisation of Bond in FYEO is a little more rougher and brutal and for those reasons Moore is miscast in this film.

OP is an example of a film where the filmmakers clearly know Moore's strengths and therefore play on them. The film is more fun and a little looser, FYEO is too uptight and Roger just looks bored and out of place.
  • I thought Moore expertly balanced the harder edged Bond of FYEO with the "Moore Bond" he had shaped so splendidly in films previous.

I agree that in OP he is better but I also think there's a lot of Fleming in his OP performance as well. I think Glen does a great job in general of coaxing out nice performances from Roger. All three, even AVTAK, are all fun to watch. The Moore charisma, suave nature, and charm is still there but he's able to bring some threat and tension when necessary.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,421
    Couldn't have put it better myself @Thighs

I suppose, from a general public point of view, FYEO is rather forgettable; there's no ski jump off a cliff, no risque sounding title, no Voodoo and alligator stepping, Bond doesn't go to space, and no dismantelable golden gun.

Needless to say I personally do not find FYEO to be boring.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    royale65 wrote: »
    I suppose, from a general public point of view, FYEO is rather forgettable; there's no ski jump, no risque sounding title, no Voodoo and alligator stepping, Bond doesn't go to space, and no dismantelable golden gun.

FYEO my friend, is in fact the one and only Bond film to feature a proper ski jump! :) Trust a Norwegian on this! ;)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 107
    FYEO goes from scene to scene very nicely I think. Arrow into the guys chest as he jumps off the diving board, hilly car chase, bobsled track skiing.

If I want to be REALLY bored I'll watch Goldeneye.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @jobo - well if you're going to be pedantic... ;-)
  • For me, TLD is a snorefest! Timmy has a way of putting me to sleep...
    THis is certainly the best of the Moore films...