Would You Consider Goldeneye the Start of the "Modern" Bond Era?

124»

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    One could argue that his parents lived in exile for years after WW2 and had Trevelyan during that time.

But the anger finally consumed Trevelyan's father when he was still fairly young,

Yes, but why did Alec's father kill his mother and then himself so many years after the "shame" of the British betrayal of their Lienz Cossack ilk? That's the clincher for me.

I's best to ignore it. Like Blofeld losing his scar and growing a good 2 feet taller, then turning into the Narrator from Rocky Horror Picture Show. ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote: »
    One could argue that his parents lived in exile for years after WW2 and had Trevelyan during that time.

But the anger finally consumed Trevelyan's father when he was still fairly young,

Yes, but why did Alec's father kill his mother and then himself so many years after the "shame" of the British betrayal of their Lienz Cossack ilk? That's the clincher for me.

I's best to ignore it. Like Blofeld losing his scar and growing a good 2 feet taller, then turning into the Narrator from Rocky Horror Picture Show. ;)

Well Blofeld changed a lot between his three appearances in the original Bond novels too, of course. And why ignore a glaring area in a film? Just for the sake of it?

Well Blofeld changed a lot between his three appearances in the original Bond novels too, of course. And why ignore a glaring area in a film? Just for the sake of it?

I was joking mainly.

I was joking mainly.

Ah, I see. I'm very serious tonight! ;)

I was joking mainly.

I'll remember to send Flowers. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I was joking mainly.

Never do that.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It could hardly be considered disappointing when all of Brosnan's movies made good money.

Not money wise, but creatively wise yes. They went by the number far too often. Stamper for instance was so generic as a henchman it was not even funny.
    Aren't most henchmen Generic anyway? Hanz, Gobinda, Gunther. Pretty generic to me.

Hans was a non entity, a cheap clone of Grant with a rubbish name (I find Hinx as a name far better, actually), but Gobinda was actually quite good, if only because of his different ethnic background. Overall the Moore era was quite good with henchmen, Jaws turning into a clown notwithstanding. Yes, they had a few Grant clones, but they tried to stay diverse. Brosnan was far less inventive: Grant clone, evil businessmen as villains, it was commonplace after commonplace.

Yeah Hans is a rubbish name. Can't think of any cool movie villains called Hans ;)

17.jpg

Hans in YOLT does not even have a last name. By itself, in the context of the movie, it is a rubbish name. Or rather, a rubbish character.
    It could hardly be considered disappointing when all of Brosnan's movies made good money.

Dissapointment from a story standpoint. Only GE is a good story. The others waned as they went along.

The good story point about GE is debatable when one considers the motivation of Alec Trevelyan in GE.

The BASIS of a good story perhaps? I will admit his motivations are kind of muddled.

Yes, I agree with your point that it was the BASIS for a good story - with Trevelyan he is remembering events that happened fifteen years before he was even born!

His motivations are good, he is just too young to have them. Wasn't Trevelyan first written as a much older character and a mentor of sort to Bond?

Dissapointment from a story standpoint. Only GE is a good story. The others waned as they went along.

The good story point about GE is debatable when one considers the motivation of Alec Trevelyan in GE.

The BASIS of a good story perhaps? I will admit his motivations are kind of muddled.

Yes, I agree with your point that it was the BASIS for a good story - with Trevelyan he is remembering events that happened fifteen years before he was even born!

His motivations are good, he is just too young to have them. Wasn't Trevelyan first written as a much older character and a mentor of sort to Bond?

Yes, he was indeed and Anthony Hopkins was rumoured to have been considered for the part. This would have made Trevelyan's revenge motivations much more realistic in my book.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I was joking mainly.

Never do that.

Indeed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GE was the start of the superfluous Bond era.
    GE was the start of the superfluous Bond era.

Superfluous to say that.
    LOL!
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Watched TND again last night. Great fun. I really do miss Brosnan, there are several moments in that film where he looks like the quintessential Bond.

Yes, he was indeed and Anthony Hopkins was rumoured to have been considered for the part. This would have made Trevelyan's revenge motivations much more realistic in my book.

No so much realistic as plausible. Sean Bean is a great actor and he plays Trevelyan beautifully, with so much hatred and so vindictive, he sells his role and makes you forget a moment about his motivations.
    My 8 year old nephew has recently become obsessed with Bond and his view is that the only good Bond actors are Brosnan and Craig - all the others are rubbish apparently.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    My 8 year old nephew has recently become obsessed with Bond and his view is that the only good Bond actors are Brosnan and Craig - all the others are rubbish apparently.

He will definitely grow to appreciate the greatness of Connery, Lazenby, Moore & Dalton with time. Of that I'm sure.

On a related note, I have an 8 year old nephew as well. We were watching Batman Returns on Christmas day and when talking with my sister, the conversation happened to turn to Bond. "Who's Bond" asked my nephew? My sister gave me a knowing smile. "Soon I'll tell you all about him", I replied. Something to look forward to.