BOND POLLS 2015: Best Bond-films "GoldenEye" until "Skyfall" •••FINAL RESULTS•••

Comments

Okay there we go. four through six were close. Fascinating, to quote Spock.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Just to show you the entire breakdown.....it's democratic no :-).

Yes, definitely.

I'm not surprised by the results at all. I still believe SF is over-represented due to it being the newest Bond. Whether it retains its ranking will very much depend on how good Bond 24 is. Let's see. 1 more year to go!
    GE B
    TND C
    TWINE D
    DAD F
    CR A
    QoS D
    SF A
    1.GE
    2.Twine
    3.Tnd
    4.Dad
    5.Cr
    6.SF
    7.QoS
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote: »
    1.GE
    2.Twine
    3.Tnd
    4.Dad
    5.Cr
    6.SF
    7.QoS
    I'd have QOS a bit higher up, but wow- we agree much more than we disagree.
    Still, none of these movies are as good as the one immediately preceding this era....
    ;)
    Gimme QoS any day over DAD
    Gimme QoS any day over DAD
    Stop. We are not allowed to agree on anything. :))

And, why do so many here write QoS instead of QOS? I never see peeps writing tMWtGG... :-?
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    My list is pretty simple. I prefer the Broz films to the reBoot films.
    The Broz films I am finding do age well.
    All 4 really, are quite exciting, very escapist Bond adventures.
    Yes LTK is a pretty solid entry.
    timmer wrote: »
    My list is pretty simple. I prefer the Broz films to the reBoot films.
    The Broz films I am finding do age well.
    All 4 really, are quite exciting, very escapist Bond adventures.
    Yes LTK is a pretty solid entry.
    For that post, I will buy you a delicatessen, in stainless steel.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Re QoS. In the old days of this site, an executive decision was made by the mods of the day, that "QoS" would be the official abbreviation.
    It's stuck.Talking 2008 when the title achieved movie status.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    Just to show you the entire breakdown.....it's democratic no :-).

Yes, definitely.

I'm not surprised by the results at all. I still believe SF is over-represented due to it being the newest Bond. Whether it retains its ranking will very much depend on how good Bond 24 is. Let's see. 1 more year to go!

I'm not sure about that. In this age of social media and viral marketing, ratings from movies are cementing much faster.

Yes, some fans appreciate QOS and GE much more. But fact is that QOS still won't make the TOP 2 in this poll. And for ending up in the TOP 10 of best Bond films overall, at least a TOP 3 position in this poll is highly necessary. Moreover, the purists, the nerds, the people who keep rewatching it, might change the opinion over time. And they are more willing to highlight the Bond films that didn't do well, for the sake of being supportive / having respect for every one of all 23 Bond productions. But non-Bond fans don't care. Their opinions, their ratings on the Web, are set in stone.

Also, funny to see that people who rated SF so high, are not really responding or discussing in here. So there could be also a factor of disappointment among those people who did not rate SF with 15 or 10 points.

Let's see what happens in the future :-).
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited November 2014 Posts: 2,252
    1. CR
    2. GE - if there was a Barry score it might have beaten CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD
    6. QOS - not an easy decision putting DAD above QOS

I think the current generation, the ones who grew up with Craig as their first Bond, are going to have a completely warped (for better or worse) sense of what Bond films represent compared to previous generations
  • w2bond wrote: »
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

I think the current generation, the ones who grew up with Craig as their first Bond, are going to have a completely warped (for better or worse) sense of what Bond films represent compared to previous generations

Where does Skyfall belong in your ranking :-P?
    w2bond wrote: »
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

It's clearly not even worthy of consideration ;)
  • Getafix wrote: »
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

Ooowh @Getafix, I need to flip you on my knee and slap you. :D
    Getafix wrote: »
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

Ooowh @Getafix, I need to flip you on my knee and slap you. :D

Errr...what makes you think it's my first time?

Any way, don't have a go at me - I ranked it 4th out of 7.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I thought that the graph was extremely clear, as well as interesting.

I concur.

It's interesting to see the 'anomalous' votes and the trends in the data.
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

I was born in the '60's and I think the Craig Bonds are second only to the Connery films and OHMSS. Goldeneye's very well done, but gimme Craig any day of the week. He's a Bond that I feel could go toe-to-toe with any special forces guy.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 2,252
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

Doesn't even register :-P
    Jks, I'd have to put it above TND, not because I particularly love Skyfall, more that the ones under it are more crap
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    My list :

CR
    SF
    TND
    GE
    QOS
    TWINE
    DAD

Of course this might change tomorrow, depending on my mood. :)
    1. CR
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD

I was born in the '60's and I think the Craig Bonds are second only to the Connery films and OHMSS. Goldeneye's very well done, but gimme Craig any day of the week. He's a Bond that I feel could go toe-to-toe with any special forces guy.

CR is a very good film, as is Skyfall but not as much. But watching the older ones makes me miss Barry and some of the old scenes so much...like Q, the stunts, villains/henchmen, witty scripts of the 60s, etc etc. Having said that, the new direction these films are taking is a big breath of fresh air since into the 70s and 80s they churn out the same thing each time. I thought Skyfall's script was largely entertaining and the best in a long time....

It's just that this new "era" adheres to no formula. I won't go into whether it's for better or worse but it means the next generation of fans won't appreciate Bond in the same way (eg won't see the big fuss about Q and Moneypenny, the gunbarrel at the beginning, etc)

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes I enjoy the new era but I miss those "comfort" elements of Bond. I hope we have a proper gun barrel this time...but all these films we are ranking are favorites and still enjoyed by me.
    Important point about the reassuring comfort elements. It is actually really disturbing for fans not see the GB at the start.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

1. SF
    2. CR
    3. GE
    4. TND (love it!)
    5. TWINE
    6. QOS
    7. DAD

SF and CR are nearly interchangeable for me, as are GE and TND. Really love all 4.
  • I think an image will make things visually more clear :-):
    http://i.cubeupload.com/eHI3Zj.jpg
    eHI3Zj.jpg

Just curious. Who put DAD in 2nd place for 10points!

• This is better readable I think. After 52 voters have casted their rankings:
    xUzKUp.jpg
    Very nice.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very Interesting.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for doing this @Gustav_Graves.

So the rankings are as follows, as per your chart:

1. CR - 571
    2. SF - 419
    3. GE - 398
    4. TND - 218
    5. TWINE - 207
    6. QoS - 207
    7. DAD - 87

There appears to be no doubt about #'s 1, 2 & 3, as well as # 7.

#s 4, 5, & 6 seem to be in a close fight.

If one were to approach this more scientifically from a polling perspective, some biases (there may be others) would have to be adjusted for.

Namely, the recency bias affecting SF positively (undoubtedly but to what extent is difficult to tell), & maybe the bandwagon effect, which may be impacting DAD negatively (since some who really actually like it may be embarrased to publicly reveal this fact for fear of being humiliated) & CR positively (since some who may in fact dislike it may not be brave enough to reveal that for similar reasons, given its ingrained fanboy base here, of which I most definitely am one).

However, that should not impact the rankings......#4, 5 & 6 are where it's interesting
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this @Gustav_Graves.

So the rankings are as follows, as per your chart:

1. CR - 571
    2. SF - 419
    3. GE - 398
    4. TND - 218
    5. TWINE - 207
    6. QoS - 207
    7. DAD - 87

There appears to be no doubt about #'s 1, 2 & 3, as well as # 7.

#s 4, 5, & 6 seem to be in a close fight.

If one were to approach this more scientifically from a polling perspective, some biases (there may be others) would have to be adjusted for.

Namely, the recency bias affecting SF positively (undoubtedly but to what extent is difficult to tell), & maybe the bandwagon effect, which may be impacting DAD negatively (since some who like it may be embarrased to reveal this fact for fear of being humiliated) & CR positively (since some who dislike it may not be brave enough to reveal that for similar reasons, given its ingrained fanboy base here, of which I am one).

However, that should not impact the rankings......#4, 5 & 6 are where it's interesting

I think it's really simple. There's no embarrasment.....nor bravery included in this voting. Or, it's at least something so subjective, that you won't find it out. Half of the voters in the poll are no frequent posters. So those could be affected by recensy.

But if I put those non-regular voters out of the poll, then CR would still be on #1, SF would still be on #2, and GE on #3.

The other way around, one could say that especially those non-frequent voters are not changing their opinion as much as more frequent posters (who read, arguments, re-assess and change their own opinions). So if you, for a change, only include those non-frequent posters in the poll, then I think the result would also be more or less the same.

Let's see what the poll looks like in 2016. Also don't forget, that Bond 24 will not only have a hard time equaling the success of CR, but also that of SF. It's certainly not an easy task for Bond 24 to let the SF-watchers, who paid 1.1 Billion globally, entertain even more...... Because entertainment and financial success usually go hand in hand...