Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They should keep Bond as close to Fleming's description as possible, as long as it says 'Ian Fleming's James Bond' at the start of the movie.

I’d be okay with them removing that if they ever race swapped the role, but to be honest if we’re being that firm about it, then I don’t think Roger Moore should’ve had it either. I love him and his take on the role, but he was essentially playing a whole new character imo. Would his loveably smug, carry on spying sort of hero really be closer to the source material than a POC who acts exactly like the Bond of the books, even if he doesn’t look like him?

Yeah I think that's a decent point. Is how he looks more important than how he acts? If his looks don't affect his behaviour (i.e he's still great-looking enough to pull all the birds) then does it matter?
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I really wouldn’t use Doctor Who as any kind of ‘how to’. People were told that if they didn’t like it, then don’t watch it. They certainly did that. Even the defence of looking at the consolodated figures, instead of the overnight figures, doesn’t hold up. They might have lost Daily Mail readers, but at least they earned Twitter followers....

And let’s not be so short sighted to fling poo at only one demographic. Articles were so quick to pile on and go after the fans that were against Jodie Whittaker. But where was this same positivity when fan girls were throwing a fit that Matt Smith should be replaced by a wrinkly old man. I do love a good double standard. Plus those who only want outside the box casting, just to piss off the fans. That is just childish.

I think Bond should remain white, but I am under no illusion that Bond will stay that way. If not the 7th actor, then maybe the 8th. But it IS going to happen.

The question remains dear @MajorDSmythe , for what reason? That's the sensitive point for both the yay and nay sides.

I have a much better solution. CREATE a new character, a black fellow in this case but could also be of Asian descent. After all we want to keep the options open and not only favour one other 'colour' because they tend to be more vocal/ supported. How hard is it to CREATE a cracking new suave male agent? Exactly, there aren't any reasons not to. In fact it is more logical than to paint Bond a color he never was, for the heck of it.

Exactly! Babs and Craig even said there should be good roles created for women rather than make Bond a woman. The same logic applies to a person of colour.

But you said:
    Also, the comparison to Barbara dismissing Bond as a woman isn't the same as her outright saying Bond is and will forever be a white man. The 2 aren't remotely the same. You're comparing apples to otanges.

They're apples to otanges, except when the same logic applies :D

Yes they are apples and oranges but that doesn't mean they can't share the sane principle.

That is kind of exactly the opposite meaning that the phrase 'apples and oranges' has though.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,925
    Is how he looks more important than how he acts? If his looks don't affect his behaviour (i.e he's still great-looking enough to pull all the birds) then does it matter?
    Thing is, Cubby had reportedly long had his eye on this guy as a future Bond and there were a few years where he topped readers' polls as the popular choice for Brosnan's replacement - purely because he had the look and lots of female fans. Given that Cubby vetoed Sean Bean on looks alone, there's at least a chance that if he'd still been around he'd've done the same to Craig and gone with this guy. But even for a tv actor, Adrian Paul wasn't that great and certainly couldn't've done justice to CR, let alone knock it out of the park like Craig did. He could've maybe slotted in, kept casuals happy and made DAD II, but where wouild we be now if they'd gone that route? :-O
    Hah - I was going to say it's no use having the classic Bond look but not the chops, but Craig proved that that's not true in reverse, so what do I know?!
    191566_full.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I was a big fan of Highlander: the series and liked Paul as Duncan. He had the looks, physicality and charm; it’s a shame that he wasn’t a better actor.
    Come to think of it, I feel the same about Cavill.
  • @Jimjambond Black Panther being successful doesn’t contradict what I’m saying at all though. Good films do better than bad films, obviously, always will do, and obviously there’s different factors that lead to success. But that doesn’t mean we’re not in a blockbuster climate that values known IP above all else. There are some directors with enough swaying power to get around that, but they tend to be auteurs, a lot of whom aren’t interested in playing in the area we’re talking about. Blockbusters have always been more of a studio driven thing too (some exceptions obviously, Spielberg and co, but generally they’re more commercial enterprises) so I’m not sure why it should be down to Scorcese to make the next Bond. And even those auteurs don’t do as well as they used to. Scorcese’s had to go to streaming for funding. Warner Bros just passed on Nolan’s new film, after years of giving him whatever budget he wanted. The Last Duel just bombed. Meanwhile Eternals might not have got great reviews but it’s still making lots of money, because it’s Marvel.
    And that's on you. If you like something put in the effort and make time. Everyone is busy but we create time, just like you did to see NTTD 4 times.

It’s on all of us, that’s what I’m saying. Audiences as a whole aren’t gravitating towards original content anymore. There were barely any screenings of Last Night in Soho, because nobody wanted to see it, so I gave up trying. I did manage to see The Last Duel, which was completely empty. Not sure why you suddenly went off on one about how diverse Marvel’s lineup is, but again, they’re all Marvel films. A known IP.
    , but at least my justification to keep the IP as close to how the creator intended it to be is more valid than you wanting a black Bond just because. As I said before, let's see a black Tarzan or a white Mowgli first before we start tinkering with Bond's skin colour. At the end of the day Babs can say whatever she likes but don't be surprised when you find out the next actor is some white guy who was probably an extra in one of the early Harry Potter films.

I never said I would be surprised if it’s another white guy, nor did I say it didn’t want it to be. You’re the only one arrogant enough to claim to know what she’s thinking. All I’ve said is that it’s possible, and that the “just make new characters” solution clearly isn’t going to happen, so it seems like a bit of a pointless talking point. It’d be great, but it’s not happening, so here we are.

And no your opinion isn’t more “valid”. You’re a geezer with an opinion, same as me.
    It has nothing to do with originals not being a viable option. It has everything to do with the racial climate and not investing in more projects with black leads.

There’s less investing in original IP in general, in Bond’s blockbuster area. Because it’s becoming less and less viable. We’re not gonna see a race swapped reboot of Taxi Driver are we? Franchise driven blockbuster climate + growing desire for more representation in all sorts of media = risk adverse studios race/gender/sexuality swapping rather than making new roles.

Okay.
    As long as Babs is producing these Bond films, regardless of what hopes she's setting up for those wanting a non white Bond, I don't believe it'll happen and if I'm wrong, one thing I'm sure of is it won't start with Bond #7.
  • Jimjambond wrote: »
    @Jimjambond Black Panther being successful doesn’t contradict what I’m saying at all though. Good films do better than bad films, obviously, always will do, and obviously there’s different factors that lead to success. But that doesn’t mean we’re not in a blockbuster climate that values known IP above all else. There are some directors with enough swaying power to get around that, but they tend to be auteurs, a lot of whom aren’t interested in playing in the area we’re talking about. Blockbusters have always been more of a studio driven thing too (some exceptions obviously, Spielberg and co, but generally they’re more commercial enterprises) so I’m not sure why it should be down to Scorcese to make the next Bond. And even those auteurs don’t do as well as they used to. Scorcese’s had to go to streaming for funding. Warner Bros just passed on Nolan’s new film, after years of giving him whatever budget he wanted. The Last Duel just bombed. Meanwhile Eternals might not have got great reviews but it’s still making lots of money, because it’s Marvel.
    And that's on you. If you like something put in the effort and make time. Everyone is busy but we create time, just like you did to see NTTD 4 times.

It’s on all of us, that’s what I’m saying. Audiences as a whole aren’t gravitating towards original content anymore. There were barely any screenings of Last Night in Soho, because nobody wanted to see it, so I gave up trying. I did manage to see The Last Duel, which was completely empty. Not sure why you suddenly went off on one about how diverse Marvel’s lineup is, but again, they’re all Marvel films. A known IP.
    , but at least my justification to keep the IP as close to how the creator intended it to be is more valid than you wanting a black Bond just because. As I said before, let's see a black Tarzan or a white Mowgli first before we start tinkering with Bond's skin colour. At the end of the day Babs can say whatever she likes but don't be surprised when you find out the next actor is some white guy who was probably an extra in one of the early Harry Potter films.

I never said I would be surprised if it’s another white guy, nor did I say it didn’t want it to be. You’re the only one arrogant enough to claim to know what she’s thinking. All I’ve said is that it’s possible, and that the “just make new characters” solution clearly isn’t going to happen, so it seems like a bit of a pointless talking point. It’d be great, but it’s not happening, so here we are.

And no your opinion isn’t more “valid”. You’re a geezer with an opinion, same as me.
    It has nothing to do with originals not being a viable option. It has everything to do with the racial climate and not investing in more projects with black leads.

There’s less investing in original IP in general, in Bond’s blockbuster area. Because it’s becoming less and less viable. We’re not gonna see a race swapped reboot of Taxi Driver are we? Franchise driven blockbuster climate + growing desire for more representation in all sorts of media = risk adverse studios race/gender/sexuality swapping rather than making new roles.

Okay.
    As long as Babs is producing these Bond films, regardless of what hopes she's setting up for those wanting a non white Bond, I don't believe it'll happen and if I'm wrong, one thing I'm sure of is it won't start with Bond #7.

Yeah we’ll have to disagree then. I don’t know about Bond 7 (I think it’s more likely than it ever was before, but who knows), but I do think it’s an inevitability, and that it will probably happen with Barbara still at the helm, since they don’t seem to be selling up any time soon.
    They should keep Bond as close to Fleming's description as possible, as long as it says 'Ian Fleming's James Bond' at the start of the movie.

I’d be okay with them removing that if they ever race swapped the role, but to be honest if we’re being that firm about it, then I don’t think Roger Moore should’ve had it either. I love him and his take on the role, but he was essentially playing a whole new character imo. Would his loveably smug, carry on spying sort of hero really be closer to the source material than a POC who acts exactly like the Bond of the books, even if he doesn’t look like him?

Yeah I think that's a decent point. Is how he looks more important than how he acts? If his looks don't affect his behaviour (i.e he's still great-looking enough to pull all the birds) then does it matter?

Yeah that’s the only standard I hold them to when it comes to looks. Good looking enough to be a womaniser and fit enough to convince as an action hero. Other than that I’m not really bothered.

To be honest I’m surprised his appearance is still so important to people, I thought Craig embarassing the DCINB lot would’ve changed that. How he acts is more important to me. And I do try my best to be open minded about that too, I like having different takes on it. But a black or asian actor playing it closely to the books would more closely resemble Fleming’s Bond to me than Roger Moore did, even though they’d look less similar. He did his own thing with it, and it was brilliant. But I can’t say I understand why changing his race is still an uncrossable line when we’ve already had that kind of personality change. Mileage varies I guess, different people see it differently. I just hope that people will give it a chance if/when it does happen.
    Benny wrote: »
    I have no idea who is going to be the next James Bond. None.
    There are so many plausible candidates, but few who can be categorically locked in.
    Bond has never been a character who was easy to cast. In my lifetime I’ve experienced three, now four actor changes.
    When Roger Moore stood down, I don’t recall Timothy Dalton being on any lists to take the role.
    When it came time to find Bond #5 it has to be said that Pierce Brosnan was the top choice with the public, and many fans. He really was the most popular choice methinks.
    And then we got Daniel Craig. Casting completely out of left field. Everyone was taken aback by EON’s choice, and many were annoyed and let down by this choice. But not all fans nor the public felt this way clearly. And after five films over 15-16 years it comes to recast the most famous role in cinema.
    With the popularity of Daniel Craig to the general audience casting Bond #7 could be akin to recasting when Sean Connery left the role.
    That may sound overly dramatic, but Daniel Craig has been a popular James Bond. And this role has never been cast on a whim.

I agree. I think there's two ways the production can go with that one: 1)they cast a fairly unknown actor, 2)they go fir a better known actor, akin to Roger Moore, to get out of Craig's large shadow. Somehow I think they'll go for the former, because I can't see anyone who has a stature equivalent to Moore when he was cast.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I have no idea who is going to be the next James Bond. None.
    There are so many plausible candidates, but few who can be categorically locked in.
    Bond has never been a character who was easy to cast. In my lifetime I’ve experienced three, now four actor changes.
    When Roger Moore stood down, I don’t recall Timothy Dalton being on any lists to take the role.
    When it came time to find Bond #5 it has to be said that Pierce Brosnan was the top choice with the public, and many fans. He really was the most popular choice methinks.
    And then we got Daniel Craig. Casting completely out of left field. Everyone was taken aback by EON’s choice, and many were annoyed and let down by this choice. But not all fans nor the public felt this way clearly. And after five films over 15-16 years it comes to recast the most famous role in cinema.
    With the popularity of Daniel Craig to the general audience casting Bond #7 could be akin to recasting when Sean Connery left the role.
    That may sound overly dramatic, but Daniel Craig has been a popular James Bond. And this role has never been cast on a whim.

I agree. I think there's two ways the production can go with that one: 1)they cast a fairly unknown actor, 2)they go fir a better known actor, akin to Roger Moore, to get out of Craig's large shadow. Somehow I think they'll go for the former, because I can't see anyone who has a stature equivalent to Moore when he was cast.

I’m thinking they’ll be relatively unknown too, that seems like the safest bet, but honestly who knows. They’ve been so all over the place in terms of profile that I find that a tough aspect to call personally. I don’t even think an A lister would be out of the question now, providing they were young enough, and talented enough to disappear into it (so more of a Tom Hardy type than a Henry Cavill type, but obviously it won’t be either of them). Craig’s given the role a lot of prestige, and that sort of casting has gotten more common in blockbusters in the past decade or so. Like Ben Affleck as Batman for example, or Benedict Cumberbatch in Marvel. Bond has done that a lot with the villains too lately, cast big names, so would a big name as Bond really be out of the question anymore? I wouldn’t rule it out myself.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @Jimjambond Black Panther being successful doesn’t contradict what I’m saying at all though. Good films do better than bad films, obviously, always will do, and obviously there’s different factors that lead to success. But that doesn’t mean we’re not in a blockbuster climate that values known IP above all else. There are some directors with enough swaying power to get around that, but they tend to be auteurs, a lot of whom aren’t interested in playing in the area we’re talking about. Blockbusters have always been more of a studio driven thing too (some exceptions obviously, Spielberg and co, but generally they’re more commercial enterprises) so I’m not sure why it should be down to Scorcese to make the next Bond. And even those auteurs don’t do as well as they used to. Scorcese’s had to go to streaming for funding. Warner Bros just passed on Nolan’s new film, after years of giving him whatever budget he wanted. The Last Duel just bombed. Meanwhile Eternals might not have got great reviews but it’s still making lots of money, because it’s Marvel.

Okay.

Yeah we’ll have to disagree then. I don’t know about Bond 7 (I think it’s more likely than it ever was before, but who knows), but I do think it’s an inevitability, and that it will probably happen with Barbara still at the helm, since they don’t seem to be selling up any time soon.

Yeah that’s the only standard I hold them to when it comes to looks. Good looking enough to be a womaniser and fit enough to convince as an action hero. Other than that I’m not really bothered.

To be honest I’m surprised his appearance is still so important to people, I thought Craig embarassing the DCINB lot would’ve changed that. How he acts is more important to me. And I do try my best to be open minded about that too, I like having different takes on it. But a black or asian actor playing it closely to the books would more closely resemble Fleming’s Bond to me than Roger Moore did, even though they’d look less similar.

Yes, and even then Roger was -shock horror- fair haired!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,925
    talos7 wrote: »
    I was a big fan of Highlander: the series and liked Paul as Duncan. He had the looks, physicality and charm; it’s a shame that he wasn’t a better actor.
    Agreed. Adrian was ideal for Highlander and there was a time when he did seem like the natural successor to Brosnan, especially if the old rumours that Cubby liked him were true. After just one viewing of CR, however, I realised that Adrian just wouldn't have been up to that. A continuation of BrozzaBond, maybe, but he couldnt've matched (or got close to) Craig in the direction they took. A combination of Paul's look and Craig's acting ability would've been hard to beat - maybe Aidan Turner's the nearest thing to that? I've not seen enough of him to gauge it.
    I’m warming to the idea of Claflin. I still prefer Turner 10 times out of 10 but he wouldn’t be a bad second option. He’s at a great age too.

Please no Madden.
    Venutius wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Agreed. Adrian was ideal for Highlander and there was a time when he did seem like the natural successor to Brosnan, especially if the old rumours that Cubby liked him were true. After just one viewing of CR, however, I realised that Adrian just wouldn't have been up to that. A continuation of BrozzaBond, maybe, but he couldnt've matched (or got close to) Craig in the direction they took. A combination of Paul's look and Craig's acting ability would've been hard to beat - maybe Aidan Turner's the nearest thing to that? I've not seen enough of him to gauge it.

Wasn't Adrian Paul a bit old at the time as well?
    Just a bit - he was born 400 years ago in the Highlands of Scotland...😉
    I love Adrian Paul and wish he was bond at one point or another…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I remember even in the 90s being wary of the idea of getting a Connery lookalike in. From what I saw of Highlander he never blew me away.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Just a bit - he was born 400 years ago in the Highlands of Scotland...😉

I just checked and born in 1959 he would have been the oldest Bond when cast. I don't think that he would have worked, not even for a "normal" transition from Brosnan to him, let alone for a reboot and CR.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He was solid in Highlander, and had all the physical stuff down. I'm not sure he would have made a great Bond, though.

Then again, I saw Aidan Turner in And Then There Were None and thought he was great... but I've got to say, his Leonardo da Vinci was not impressive. You can be great in one part and lacking in another. If I was a casting director and had seen Turner in only Leonardo, I don't think I'd give him an audition for Bond.
  • manovermanover uk
    I know they have their fans..but pretty sure both aidan Turner and claflin will not be the next bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    He was solid in Highlander, and had all the physical stuff down. I'm not sure he would have made a great Bond, though.

Then again, I saw Aidan Turner in And Then There Were None and thought he was great... but I've got to say, his Leonardo da Vinci was not impressive. You can be great in one part and lacking in another. If I was a casting director and had seen Turner in only Leonardo, I don't think I'd give him an audition for Bond.

Thought he did quite well. Direction of the series wasn't all that great however.
    It was whenever the script needed him to play nervous and sensitive... it's just not in his wheelhouse, imo.
    manover wrote: »
    I know they have their fans..but pretty sure both aidan Turner and claflin will not be the next bond.

I doubt it too.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2021 Posts: 1,318
    It was whenever the script needed him to play nervous and sensitive... it's just not in his wheelhouse, imo.

Aren't we done with sensitive Bond anyway? ;)
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 538
    I want Ana de Armas to be the next 007 :p
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 12,837
    I’ve been rewatching Gangs of London (TV show by The Raid director Gareth Evans) and I still think Joe Cole could be good. He’s got an unconventional look for it, but he looks good in a suit and he’s got a lot of raw presence about him. Played the more humorous (but just as dangerous) brother well in Peaky Blinders, and he combined that dangerous, madculine sort of energy well with real vulnerability in A Prayer Before Dawn. Carried that film well too, so he’s capable as a cinematic leading man.

I think his real Bond audition though was Gangs of London. He‘s brilliant in that show, a really dark and charismatic screen presence, and he pulled the physical stuff off well. My money would still be on a POC getting it this time, but who knows, maybe he’s on the radar. Looking forward to seeing how he does as the new Harry Palmer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I don't know if you can be Harry Palmer and James Bond, can you?
    I'm certainly looking forward to Ipcress though.
  • I’ve been rewatching Gangs of London (TV show by The Raid director Gareth Evans) and I still think Joe Cole could be good. He’s got an unconventional look for it, but he looks good in a suit and he’s got a lot of raw presence about him. Played the more humorous (but just as dangerous) brother well in Peaky Blinders, and he combined that dangerous, madculine sort of energy well with real vulnerability in A Prayer Before Dawn. Carried that film well too, so he’s capable as a cinematic leading man.

I think his real Bond audition though was Gangs of London. He‘s brilliant in that show, a really dark and charismatic screen presence, and he pulled the physical stuff off well. My money would still be on a POC getting it this time, but who knows, maybe he’s on the radar. Looking forward to seeing how he does as the new Harry Palmer.

Cole was great in GoL but I didn't find anything particularly Bondish about him. Sope who plays Elliot is actually a friend of mine and even though I'm vehemently against a black Bond, he'd make a great and much better Bond. Gareth Evans was brilliant with this and he's the only director that I believe who could make a Bond film that tops Casino Royale.
    I’ve been rewatching Gangs of London (TV show by The Raid director Gareth Evans) and I still think Joe Cole could be good. He’s got an unconventional look for it, but he looks good in a suit and he’s got a lot of raw presence about him. Played the more humorous (but just as dangerous) brother well in Peaky Blinders, and he combined that dangerous, madculine sort of energy well with real vulnerability in A Prayer Before Dawn. Carried that film well too, so he’s capable as a cinematic leading man.

Thought he was good in Peaky Blinders but I don't see him as Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Cole was great in GoL but I didn't find anything particularly Bondish about him. Sope who plays Elliot is actually a friend of mine and even though I'm vehemently against a black Bond, he'd make a great and much better Bond. Gareth Evans was brilliant with this and he's the only director that I believe who could make a Bond film that tops Casino Royale.

Yes, Sope Disiru is pretty Bond-like and has been mentioned in this thread before. Good looking chap too.
    I really don't like Joe Cole for Bond. I'm not that keen on him as an actor, and I think he's just wrong for 007.
  • mtm wrote: »

Yes, Sope Disiru is pretty Bond-like and has been mentioned in this thread before. Good looking chap too.

I did consider suggesting him as I wrote that, but to be honest I assumed he was older than he is, and I’ve been trying to think of young suggestions. But it turns out he’s actually younger than Cole is. Yeah, he could be very good. Rugged good looks, great in the fight scenes. And he’s the right age. Have we finally found a 30 year old who fans on here wouldn’t call too baby faced?

Interesting that he’s a mate of yours too @Jimjambond. Don’t suppose you could give us any teasers for the next season? ;) Agree on Evans too, I think he could be a great choice for a down and dirty, back to basics sort of reboot.

And while I wouldn’t call Cole Bond esque in Gangs of London, he’d be an unconventional choice, but I do think he had a dark and captivating presence about him in that show, which could be interesting to channel for Bond. Don’t think Palmer would rule him out either, seeing as it’s just an ITV adaptation. But yeah, not sure how likely he is to get it. I reckon he could pull it off though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I would love to see Gareth Evens direct a Bond film, deep down I want him to work with Scott Adkins, which top of my list would be on Bond.

Before someone jumps in with "he's just an overgrown stuntman", Adkins is still my #1 for Bond, even though I know in my heart of hearts it is never going to happen.