Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,527
    parkert5 wrote: »
    parkert5 wrote: »
    It should be an unknown at this point. Everything you’ve said about Craig is true; I remember not having strong feelings one way or another about his casting but now he’s one of my favourites. If they cast Aidan Turner, I don’t know what I’ll do.

Is there anything in particular you don't like about Turner? He's my current #1 choice for the next Bond.

Just the same concerns I have with many front runners. He looks like a child. It's not about his actual age, which I'm sure is very appropriate, but to my mind he has far too juvenile a look compared to the character Fleming wrote about / described.

I had another look, and it's not as bad as I thought:
    11642569-high-res-poldark-682x920.jpg
    But for me he still has a youthfulness that for me seems inappropriate for the character. Just my two cents.

Bond needs to be weathered, experienced. His whole deal is that he's a 00 that has lived well past his life expectancy. Time spent in a career like that needs to show and for me Turner doesn't convey it in a way someone like Evans, or even Elba, could, as Craig has. It took me awhile but I've come around to Madden, who I didn't like for a long time for the same reason.

If they cast him, I think he'll be a Lazenby / Moore / Brosnan Bond, which is fantastic company to keep, but I think I'm a bigger fan of the Connery / Dalton / Craig type of Bond. Which is crazy because I love Brosnan... this post is creating itself very organically haha, I don't know what I think anymore.

He does look youthful. Like you stated most people do nowadays. I think alot of that has to do with advance in nutrition and supplementation and also less hard work. People don't grow up working in gardens chopping wood and things of that nature much anymore. Madden isnt my top choice but he's in my top 10 for sure.

I don’t know if most people do, I was just stating that a lot of the Bond front runners do. Whomever takes over for Craig doesn’t need to have chopped a lot of wood or done some gardening, they should just evoke a little weathering and experience from being in a killing career for too long.

It’s definitely a balance that needs to be struck.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Having read lots of opinions on lots of possible candidates over the last few months I've come to the conclusion that I'm fairly open to many different actors now. I used to feel quite strongly that the next actor should be a certain type of person but the community on this forum has opened my eyes. I'd be happy if almost anyone suggested on here gets the role, or none of them! It will probably be someone we've barely heard of in the end.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Having read lots of opinions on lots of possible candidates over the last few months I've come to the conclusion that I'm fairly open to many different actors now. I used to feel quite strongly that the next actor should be a certain type of person but the community on this forum has opened my eyes. I'd be happy if almost anyone suggested on here gets the role, or none of them! It will probably be someone we've barely heard of in the end.

Great perspective. I've definitely already started coming around to actors who would have been definite 'no's from me previously.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 705
    There are exceptions
    How about Charlie Hunnam?
    Risico007 wrote: »

He can't find his accent. Ever.

Liked him in that James Gray film, though.
    Even though I consider Craig coming back for a sixth film a terrible idea, it would still be a better one than casting as Bond many of the people mentioned here.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »

In the film Green Street (2005) his attempt at delivering a Cockney accent resulted in his inclusion in many critics' "worst accents in movie history" lists.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Even though I consider Craig coming back for a sixth film a terrible idea, it would still be a better one than casting as Bond many of the people mentioned here.
    +1
    suavejmf wrote: »

In the film Green Street (2005) his attempt at delivering a Cockney accent resulted in his inclusion in many critics' "worst accents in movie history" lists.

It's all over the place. He just can't put a pin on it. And, for me, one of the most important things an actor who plays Bond should have is a perfect voice/accent combo. That alone sold me on Craig as Bond. The first time I heard that monologue in Layer Cake I was in.

So, no to Hunnam.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I’ve got my eye on Jamie Dornan still….he’s got something. ……he reminds me of Michael Fassbender a bit

He’s handsome, looks kinda menacing and has a certain charisma. I think he could be a star. Much like Robert Pattinson, he’s associated with a crappy franchise where he made his name and is currently trying to do as much diverse work to prove himself.

I’m most interested in ‘A Private War’ and ‘My Dinner with Herve.’ He’s also doing a studio comedy with ‘Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar.’ Looks like he’s on the right career path.

mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:223538?quality=0.8&format=jpg

The only other choice for me is Richard Madden. He looks like Bond and can actually act. He was great in that small part at the end of ‘1917.’ He has charm and sex appeal to burn. So he’s high on my list too. Both him and Dornan are my top choices.

18978318-7509137-Richard_Madden_stepping_out_to_attend_The_2019_GQ_Men_of_the_Yea-a-6_1569525191654.jpg

Standing shoulder to shoulder with you here P2D. I think he is a dark horse. I've seen comments about being a bad actor, but he is actually a very good actor with the right material. And yes, he has the charisma.

Madden I also agree about.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    I’ve got my eye on Jamie Dornan still….he’s got something. ……he reminds me of Michael Fassbender a bit

He’s handsome, looks kinda menacing and has a certain charisma. I think he could be a star. Much like Robert Pattinson, he’s associated with a crappy franchise where he made his name and is currently trying to do as much diverse work to prove himself.

I’m most interested in ‘A Private War’ and ‘My Dinner with Herve.’ He’s also doing a studio comedy with ‘Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar.’ Looks like he’s on the right career path.

The only other choice for me is Richard Madden. He looks like Bond and can actually act. He was great in that small part at the end of ‘1917.’ He has charm and sex appeal to burn. So he’s high on my list too. Both him and Dornan are my top choices.

18978318-7509137-Richard_Madden_stepping_out_to_attend_The_2019_GQ_Men_of_the_Yea-a-6_1569525191654.jpg

Standing shoulder to shoulder with you here P2D. I think he is a dark horse. I've seen comments about being a bad actor, but he is actually a very good actor with the right material. And yes, he has the charisma.

It's crazy to think that in May/June once the heat dies down on NTTD, we will be fully into the conversation over 'who should be the new Bond?'

I agree that Dornan is my preference. I also think that if he were to get it, then he should keep the beard....or at least have stubble. He looks odd without it. But he's so beautiful with it.

You can still be a modern gentleman spy with some facial hair. It's 2020 after all.

This look is perfect for me:

watch-jamie-dornan-being-a-handsome-devil-on-the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert.jpg

Jamie+Dornan+Jamie+Dornan+Seen+Route+Late+9cFPqqs4EtEl.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    f18431b53b64555a2edbb7d178670679_w200.gif
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    “Crazy Eyes “ Dornan!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

It's only opinions.
    NicNac wrote: »

It's only opinions.

It's just an expression ;)
  • NicNac wrote: »

It's crazy to think that in May/June once the heat dies down on NTTD, we will be fully into the conversation over 'who should be the new Bond?'

I agree that Dornan is my preference. I also think that if he were to get it, then he should keep the beard....or at least have stubble. He looks odd without it. But he's so beautiful with it.

You can still be a modern gentleman spy with some facial hair. It's 2020 after all.

This look is perfect for me:

watch-jamie-dornan-being-a-handsome-devil-on-the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert.jpg

Jamie+Dornan+Jamie+Dornan+Seen+Route+Late+9cFPqqs4EtEl.jpg

Didn't Brosnan have a 5'O clock shadow in Goldeneye? So Id be ok with the next Bond having the same look.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,677
    I'll be saying this in the coming years: Good were the old days when Bond liked to be clean shaved with a cut throat razor just because he preferred to do things the old way. Back then people understood what Bond was all about.

But hey, if you want a 5'O clock shadow, who better than Aidan Turner. Right?

You guys do know that a 5'O clock shadow means that you have shaved, right? Probably in the wee hours of the morning. So it's not as though you have a beard.

These youngsters today ______ Don't know how to put an eye roll emoticon here, or I bloody well would ;)
    That's what I was thinking : on that pic it's not a five o'clock shadow, it's a full beard. And surely you don't need to have a beard to be masculine, even in 2020! Unless if by manly you mean looking like a cuddly teddy bear.
    What's next? Bond can have a beard and shave his chest?

• edited January 2020 Posts: 6,677
    That's what I was thinking : on that pic it's not a five o'clock shadow, it's a full beard. And surely you don't need to have a beard to be masculine, even in 2020! Unless if by manly you mean looking like a cuddly teddy bear.

Exactly, @Ludovico.

You need a beard to look lazy, scruffy, mangy or run-down, a shoddy ragtag of a person who doesn't take the time to take care of himself. Bond is not that guy.

And don't come talking to me about fashion or what's trending. I've got no time, patience or ears for that horseplay.

And Bond doesn't shave his chest, he's not Johnny Weissmuller, for pete's sake. And he's not pretending to be Japanese. Well...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Exactly, @Ludovico.

You need a beard to look lazy, scruffy, mangy or run-down, a shoddy ragtag of a person who doesn't take the time to take care of himself.

Or like a lion, scaring your enemies.

Exactly, @Ludovico.

You need a beard to look lazy, scruffy, mangy or run-down, a shoddy ragtag of a person who doesn't take the time to take care of himself. Bond is not that guy.

And don't come talking to me about fashion or what's trending. I've got no time, patience or ears for that horseplay.

And Bond doesn't shave his chest, he's not Johnny Weissmuller, for pete's sake. And he's not pretending to be Japanese. Well...

Well you can have a beard and be elegant/not scruffy. Beard does not mean scruffy. But that's not the kind of elegance Bond has. I'd also like to add that not every beard makes you look manly. Sean Connery is manly with one. Craig is too. Brosnan... I'm not quite convinced. But many young actors today just look like they're either cuddly bears or they're auditioning for the role of Jesus.
    I'll be saying this in the coming years: Good were the old days when Bond liked to be clean shaved with a cut throat razor just because he preferred to do things the old way. Back then people understood what Bond was all about.

You guys do know that a 5'O clock shadow means that you have shaved, right? Probably in the wee hours of the morning. So it's not as though you have a beard.

These youngsters today ______ Don't know how to put an eye roll emoticon here, or I bloody well would ;)

Some of us youngsters still likes to do some things the old fashioned way ;) . I myself like to be clean shaved. Majority of men today are trying to hide that baby face under that beard.

Some of us youngsters still likes to do some things the old fashioned way ;) . I myself like to be clean shaved. Majority of men today are trying to hide that baby face under that beard.

Well, you’re living proof that there’s still hope for mankind ;) I too shave every day, been doing it since I was twelve, lol. One must have standards.
  • Still more dapper than Henry Cavill could dream to be....

EF-4c3FWoAEKXGe?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Still more dapper than Henry Cavill could dream to be....

EF-4c3FWoAEKXGe?format=jpg&name=900x900

Looks like a nice homosensual fella.
    I think we are seeing more young guys wearing beards because in countless ways society is stripping them of, or demonizing their masculinity . 😏
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541

Well, you’re living proof that there’s still hope for mankind ;) I too shave every day, been doing it since I was twelve, lol. One must have standards.

Let's see I am 26, have been shaving since 14, if i couldn't shave any day it feels really weird to be honest. I guess seeing my father shave everyday has got me habitual and both my parents are teacher so discipline has always been in the house 😁
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think we are seeing more young guys wearing beards because in countless ways society is stripping them of, or demonizing their masculinity . 😏

Exactly, couldn't have said it better✌️

Because a beard gives you masculinity? Not to these guys!

Because a beard gives you masculinity? Not to these guys!

No, but neither does a big gun; both are compensating.