Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

suavejmf wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    He read them, sure; but what specifically are you thinking he drew from the books that no-one else did? There's this repeated mantra that 'he was the book Bond' but I never really read much analysis to back that up.
    And I'd very much disagree he brought gravitas: personally I think he kind of disappeared in the role. He's not a presence in those films like even Brosnan was. In them he's just not really a movie star like it needs. He looks great though, yes.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't buy it......look, the model used by the British press is transparent. If you're on a Sunday night show on BBC1 than you are suddenly the 'hot favourite' for Bond. This was how the following names gained traction:
    • Tom Hiddleston (Night Manager)
    • Richard Madden (Bodyguard)
    • James Norton (Trials of Christine Keeler - which is on tv now, explaining the current rumour)
    • Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders)
    • Idris Elba (Luther)
    • Aidan Turner (Poldark)
    • .....and the list goes on.

If we can't have Robert Pattinson because of Batman, then I think someone to keep an eye on is Jamie Dornan. In fact, he's my preferred choice. He's sexy and has a certain Tim Dalton-esque danger to him.

anglo_2000x1125_jamiedornan_2016-1600x720.jpg

Although I strongly disagree with you about Jamie Dornan, I think you're right about what trigger tabloids to say who'se being considered as the next Bond. I might audition to one of those BBC Sunday dramas. If I'm cast, I won't get any nearer to Bond, but the tabloids will have a day. I can already read the headlines : "Bold move as 42 year old French Canadian about to sign as Bond."

Heh! It's a good point. As you guys say, funny how Norton is suddenly a candidate again now he's on telly in a 60's drama wearing a dinner jacket...
    :D
    mtm wrote: »
    He read them, sure; but what specifically are you thinking he drew from the books that no-one else did? There's this repeated mantra that 'he was the book Bond' but I never really read much analysis to back that up.
    And I'd very much disagree he brought gravitas: personally I think he kind of disappeared in the role. He's not a presence in those films like even Brosnan was. In them he's just not really a movie star like it needs. He looks great though, yes.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't buy it......look, the model used by the British press is transparent. If you're on a Sunday night show on BBC1 than you are suddenly the 'hot favourite' for Bond. This was how the following names gained traction:
    • Tom Hiddleston (Night Manager)
    • Richard Madden (Bodyguard)
    • James Norton (Trials of Christine Keeler - which is on tv now, explaining the current rumour)
    • Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders)
    • Idris Elba (Luther)
    • Aidan Turner (Poldark)
    • .....and the list goes on.

If we can't have Robert Pattinson because of Batman, then I think someone to keep an eye on is Jamie Dornan. In fact, he's my preferred choice. He's sexy and has a certain Tim Dalton-esque danger to him.

anglo_2000x1125_jamiedornan_2016-1600x720.jpg

Although I strongly disagree with you about Jamie Dornan, I think you're right about what trigger tabloids to say who'se being considered as the next Bond. I might audition to one of those BBC Sunday dramas. If I'm cast, I won't get any nearer to Bond, but the tabloids will have a day. I can already read the headlines : "Bold move as 42 year old French Canadian about to sign as Bond."

Heh! It's a good point. As you guys say, funny how Norton is suddenly a candidate again now he's on telly in a 60's drama wearing a dinner jacket...
    :D

He was dark, he was ruthless, and he managed to show precisely what Bond was all about: a merciless, calculating, professional assassin. His relationships with women and M were the same as Fleming's books.

Ironically, the very characteristics that got Dalton slammed are the very same things that the Bond producers are praising Daniel Craig for.

On and on, they have said they want Bond to be closer to the original Ian Fleming character. They want him to be grittier, darker and less jokey. What they really want, it seems, is to have Dalton back.

Whereas Moore’s Bond would constantly toss one-liners and cheap jokes and raise an eyebrow, Dalton took it more seriously, not afraid to show fear and anger (LIKE THE BOOKS). But that’s where some moviegoers didn’t take to him.

I read Fleming’s novels after I saw the movies. It can be the case that you embrace the first James Bond you ever see as your lifetime favourite. The first Bond I saw was Roger Moore in FYEO, some time in the late 1980s. I loved it, I love Roger, and it remains one of my favourites. Then I saw Connery. I loved him too. I thought they were both great in different ways – but not quite what I’d had in mind from the character in the books. Connery remains my favourite onscreen.

When I saw Dalton in The Living Daylights & Licence to Kill I thought: “That’s him! That’s James Bond!” Dalton steeped himself in Fleming’s stories for his research for the part. It shows. I noticed it as a kid with no preconceptions. Dalton moves with great poise, and lets his narrow eyes do a lot of work. He’s like a hunter, the consummate silent killer. Connery and Craig both move with an intoxicating swagger that looks fantastic on screen. But is it entirely right for the part?

It’s one of the choices that make his Bond so enduringly fascinating. There’s a sequence early on in The Living Daylights when Bond is ordered to kill a sniper who may be targeting Koskov, a Russian former KGB agent who is defecting to the West. He notices that the sniper is a woman. No matter. He lines up the shot. Then he notices something else and deliberately misses, hitting the rifle out of her hands instead of the target.
    “Your orders were to kill that girl,” Saunders reprimands him.
    “Stuff my orders,” Bond replies. “That girl didn’t know one end of the rifle from the other. I only kill professionals.”

None of the previous incarnations of Bond could possibly have delivered that line. Earlier Bonds were all establishment figures who obeyed their orders, allowing the British Government to act as arbiters of their morality. There’s nothing so unambiguous in the world of Dalton’s Bond. Note that it’s not because the sniper is female, nor because she’s beautiful – he would still have killed her without a second’s thought if she had been a real KGB assassin. It’s because she’s not part of the game. THIS IS FROM FLEMING.

Bond is in a right state at the end of Licence to Kill. His nose is bloody, his hair’s a mess, his jacket’s ripped and he’s covered in dust. After he kills off the main baddie, Sanchez (Robert Davi), Bond dry heaves in disgust at it all. It’s an amazing reaction. Dalton’s is a human Bond. THIS IS FROM FLEMING.

Dangling over the edge of whirring blades in Licence to Kill, Pam rushes over and asks if he’s all right. “Switch the bloody machine off!” he yells. It took until 1989 for Bond to lose his cool…THIS IS FROM FLEMING.

Like Fleming's books, Dalton's Bond is human, edgy, and morally complex. Dalton may only have made two films, but he captured Bond perfectly. He will always be the connoisseur’s James Bond.

Spot on!
    Well I can see the Turner boys have shown up in droves again ;-)

Anyway, I don't think anyone here would've said this guy could be Bond if they'd seen him like that:
    160335_small.jpg

TO come back to Dalton: the examples given are exact extracts from the books. To me, he isn't that consistent. He's got quite a few very good scenes, but the balloon one when Saunders is killed? That's too much, definately not the cold professional the book Bond is when such a thing happens. The only time he does is when he goes to look at the charred remains of Quarrel.
    Allthough I like Dalton in the role, I think the Daltonites here are overstating his achievements a bit. Yes, he fits the descriptive standouts, and yes he's a decent actor, and yes he did quite a few scenes amazingly. At the smae time he dropped the ball just a tad too many times for my liking.

The balloon scene is definitely a Fleming moment for me. Showing internal, barely concealed anger at times reminded me of the Fleming Bond, not the screen Bond.

I felt in TLD he was still finding his way, and the script had hangover moments that would have fitted Moore better `amazing this modern safety glass', yet the film is littered with Fleming traits too, but LTK is where Dalton came into his own.

To me, that film is the closest we have seen of Fleming Bond on screen.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    parkert5 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Thanks @Resurrection & @JeremyBondon. We need another Dalton.

Aidan Turner anyone........?

Yeah, I have been rooting for him on mi6 (quite sure some of you noticed ;) ) since And Then There Were None. The guy was born to play the role, like f.e. Connery and Dalton. For this reason, there are many many factors that make a Bond, he is an obvious choice. In my opinion he is the sole heir, high up there, alone, to take over from Craig.

We're definitely on the same page (by Fleming), @suavejmf

tumblr_plhsu5GqVX1vjmqa0o4_r3_500.gif
    tumblr_plhsu5GqVX1vjmqa0o3_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_pmuz8temh71s95dj0_540.gif

It still amazes me how anyone can't look at the above and see that "IS" James Bond.

I like Turner but people could say that about Cavil too.

But Turner has charisma and can act.

True. And he has the voice for it. And the eyebrows. Don’t underestimate the importance of eyebrows, which Craig only has highlighted sometimes and they give him expression. The eyebrow is key. Connery had them in spades, Moore added movement to his, so did Pierce, and Dalton had a wolf’s dynamic expression. So I say Turner’s the man because of his better eyebrows.

:) This can be a very silly discussion, even when discussing a most serious matter.

Anyways, Eyebrows!
    Some may smirk and get a laugh at discussing eyebrows but their importance to a person’s look can’t be underestimated. Just look at Connery; for the role of Bond, quite a bit of attention was given to taming and shaping his brows, It was an important part of creating the character., Just look at them in DAF where they were left unattended.

If you look at Craig throughout his tenure as Bond, he absolutely looks his best when he has visible brows. They really do add expression and are an invaluable tool for actors , with Moore taking it to an extreme. 😉
    Talking about eyebrows may seem silly but it’s no different than the countless other details that go into filmmaking and refining the image of a character.

Given that the actors mentioned here almost all have beards or stubble, and often also have long hair, any of them if cast would need serious trimming. Bond is not a hipster.

Hey, when you say "Turner boys" it's because you know there's lots and lots of us, right?

:-D
    And yes, I am a proud Daltonite.
    Yes indeed, @CommanderRoss is clearly trying to use it as some sort of putdown to bait us. The reason why I gravitated toward Turner was due to his strong voice, Celtic looks, and acting capabilities—all attributes that I consider necessary for making a great Bond. Secondly, we also know that he appeals to the ladies due to his Poldark success. The fact that Turner's not part of any existing cinematic universe or franchises also helps cement him in first place for me. Yes, I know we'll most likely be disappointed with the final outcome, but that won't stop us hoping for the best until proven otherwise.
    bondsum wrote: »

Hey, when you say "Turner boys" it's because you know there's lots and lots of us, right?

:-D
    And yes, I am a proud Daltonite.
    Yes indeed, @CommanderRoss is clearly trying to use it as some sort of putdown to bait us. The reason why I gravitated toward Turner was due to his strong voice, Celtic looks, and acting capabilities—all attributes that I consider necessary for making a great Bond. Secondly, we also know that he appeals to the ladies due to his Poldark success. The fact that Turner's not part of any existing cinematic universe or franchises also helps cement him in first place for me. Yes, I know we'll most likely be disappointed with the final outcome, but that won't stop us hoping for the best until proven otherwise.

Exactly, very well said, @bondsum.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Anyway, I don't think anyone here would've said this guy could be Bond if they'd seen him like that:
    160335_small.jpg

TO come back to Dalton: the examples given are exact extracts from the books. To me, he isn't that consistent. He's got quite a few very good scenes, but the balloon one when Saunders is killed? That's too much, definately not the cold professional the book Bond is when such a thing happens. The only time he does is when he goes to look at the charred remains of Quarrel.
    Allthough I like Dalton in the role, I think the Daltonites here are overstating his achievements a bit. Yes, he fits the descriptive standouts, and yes he's a decent actor, and yes he did quite a few scenes amazingly. At the smae time he dropped the ball just a tad too many times for my liking.

The balloon scene is definitely a Fleming moment for me. Showing internal, barely concealed anger at times reminded me of the Fleming Bond, not the screen Bond.

I felt in TLD he was still finding his way, and the script had hangover moments that would have fitted Moore better `amazing this modern safety glass', yet the film is littered with Fleming traits too, but LTK is where Dalton came into his own.

His portrayal yes but the accompanying film never matched it, like I said it is wildly all over the place.

LTK is one of the most jarring messes of the series due to it not committing to its tone. I personally find that QOS is a much more successful version of this revenge type Bond gone rogue idea.

LTK has its moments and Dalton shines but you kind of wish they'd have fitted his portrayal consistently rather than still having hangovers from the Moore years.

Brosnan for all his faults got the films that matched his abilities, although GE would have been incredibly interesting with Dalton in the role.
    Shardlake wrote: »

160335_small.jpg

His portrayal yes but the accompanying film never matched it, like I said it is wildly all over the place.

LTK is one of the most jarring messes of the series due to it not committing to its tone. I personally find that QOS is a much more successful version of this revenge type Bond gone rogue idea.

LTK has its moments and Dalton shines but you kind of wish they'd have fitted his portrayal consistently rather than still having hangovers from the Moore years.

Brosnan for all his faults got the films that matched his abilities, although GE would have been incredibly interesting with Dalton in the role.

Other than the scenes with Q, I don't find LTK an inconsistent mess at all. Those scenes were only added to give the film some much needed comedy relief, as the film was seen as too dark for the time (nowadays it would be fine, and the Q scenes could be removed entirely). LTK is in my top 5 films.

I find Dalton far stronger in the role than he was in TLD.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

160335_small.jpg

"James Bond, No not James Bond"
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

160335_small.jpg

You know, I'm in a minority of one here I accept that, but... I don't think he is a decent actor. Not a decent film actor anyway. He never lets the camera do the work, he mugs and pulls faces and swivels his eyes as if he were on stage. Sometimes, like when he is following Kara on the tram, he is very, very good. But too often he is simply over acting. In the scene where he first meets Sanchez he employs the whole A-Z of facial expressions. I can imagine Connery doing it and everything being there on screen in the twitch of an eye.
    Just me I know, so I accept I must be wrong here, but it's how I see it.

160335_small.jpg

Other than the scenes with Q, I don't find LTK an inconsistent mess at all. Those scenes were only added to give the film some much needed comedy relief, as the film was seen as too dark for the time (nowadays it would be fine, and the Q scenes could be removed entirely). LTK is in my top 5 films.

Cheesy bar fight, winking fish and Felix looking well and truly over his Bride's viscous murder by the end the tone is consistent throughout is it?

I think some dead pan humour would have been enough not Q in the field with that absurd bag of tricks.

Dalton never got the entry to truly showcase his take on the character, his 2 films were more like a showcase of great moments.

Also I'll agree @NicNac as much as I like Dalton he lacks confidence as lead actor, he just doesn't own his scenes like Connery does or Craig, cinema is not his natural habitat, he has got better as time as gone on, compare that with his performance in Hot Fuzz, he seems more relaxed and at ease.

Like Craig or don't but from the moment you see him in that Dryden scene in the PTS in CR he totally looks the essence of confidence.

I'd argue only him and Connery came out the gate, even Roger never nailed his portrayal till SWLM and seemed preoccupied with not copying Connery and in a process of getting where he needed to be.

I think if Dalton had have got his third and they'd have written a script that was suitable to his take rather than insisting on sticking Mooreisms in still, clearly not his strength. If they'd have furnished him with the consistent material that showcased his Fleming heavy take on the character he most likely would have delivered his classic of the series.

We see what happens when a Bond actor with a method and version of the character that suits him is then forced to try and be something he isn't comfortable is and we only need to look back to 2015 to see the results of that.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,275

160335_small.jpg

Cheesy bar fight, winking fish and Felix looking well and truly over his Bride's viscous murder by the end the tone is consistent throughout is it?

Also I'll agree @NicNac as much as I like Dalton he lacks confidence as lead actor, he just doesn't own his scenes like Connery does or Craig, cinema is not his natural habitat, he has got better as time as gone on, compare that with his performance in Hot Fuzz, he seems more relaxed and at ease.

I think if Dalton had have got his third and they'd have written a script that was suitable to his take rather than insisting on sticking Mooreisms in still, clearly not his strength. If they'd have furnished him with the consistent material that showcased his Fleming heavy take on the character he most likely would have delivered his classic of the series.

Cheese bar fight I can live with. It isn't that bad (there are far worse moments in Bond movies), the winking fish is tagged on right at the end in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, again hardly detracts from the film, and Felix's final scene appears very briefly at the end of the movie just to let the audience know he survived.

None of that is enough to criticise an otherwise flawless film, IMO. And I agree with you that had Dalton done a third, he really would have grown confidently into the part.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,318
    NicNac wrote: »

160335_small.jpg

You know, I'm in a minority of one here I accept that, but... I don't think he is a decent actor. Not a decent film actor anyway. He never lets the camera do the work, he mugs and pulls faces and swivels his eyes as if he were on stage. Sometimes, like when he is following Kara on the tram, he is very, very good. But too often he is simply over acting. In the scene where he first meets Sanchez he employs the whole A-Z of facial expressions. I can imagine Connery doing it and everything being there on screen in the twitch of an eye.

I wouldn't call his acting overacting. Dalts his intensity along with his broader range of emotive acting makes Bond more human, and perhaps less of a cool uber charismatic man's man. I have always found him to be the most sensitive Bond, particularly his range of emotions. An acquired taste rather than it being 'wrong' or a less decent actor than the others, just different.

Per usual I highly disagree with everything @Shardlake has stated, but that's okay. Opinions vary. Agree with @jetsetwilly
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

https://variety.com/2020/film/features/james-bond-no-time-to-die-barbara-broccoli-michael-wilson-1203466601/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Really interesting article that briefly touches upon a time when BB thought Daniel Craig wasn't going to return. I think we'll be in for a long wait when he's done. Plus, the usual suspects will not be on the cards. Something changed with Craig's casting. Fanboy wishlist Bonds are not on Eon's radar. Expect the unexpected.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,275
    NicNac wrote: »

160335_small.jpg

I wouldn't call his acting overacting. Dalts his intensity along with his broader range of emotive acting makes Bond more human, and perhaps less of a cool uber charismatic man's man. I have always found him to be the most sensitive Bond, particularly his range of emotions. An acquired taste rather than it being 'wrong' or a less decent actor than the others, just different.

Per usual I highly disagree with everything @Shardlake has stated, but that's okay. Opinions vary. Agree with @jetsetwilly

It's the small things I like with Dalton - the quick cautionary glance when Killifer punches him on the arm on first greeting him at the wedding, his sudden eruption into controlled laughter when he meets Sanchez in the casino, the way he says `I'm more a problem eliminator' with an edge of menace, the whispered `watch the birdie, you bastard', the weary sigh after the truck ordeal and setting fire to Sanchez, the way he briefly pauses and reflects on what he has been told, when asking `why me', when about to shoot the KGB sniper, and then being informed that he is the best, so continues on, satisfied by the response to the question.

All of these tiny moments showed Dalton really got under the skin of the character, and understood exactly what made the Fleming Bond tick, far more than any other actor (yes, including Craig).

160335_small.jpg

Cheese bar fight I can live with. It isn't that bad (there are far worse moments in Bond movies), the winking fish is tagged on right at the end in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, again hardly detracts from the film, and Felix's final scene appears very briefly at the end of the movie just to let the audience know he survived.

None of that is enough to criticise an otherwise flawless film, IMO. And I agree with you that had Dalton done a third, he really would have grown confidently into the part.

I wouldn't even call OHMSS or CR near flawless, LTK you are being serious here?

160335_small.jpg

I wouldn't even call OHMSS or CR near flawless, LTK you are being serious here?

OHMSS is not flawless, but I still love it - speeding up fights, silly overdubbed Hillary Bray voice, Tracey being kidnapped, etc. This stops it from being perfect.

CR is nearly perfect - Vesper suicide scene is not as dramatic enough as the way Bond discovers her in the book, regardless of all the OTT action fest Venice sinking house and underwater lift shenanigans surrounding it.

LTK is nearly perfect. Get rid of the Kamen music and stick in John Barry instead, and it would be a perfect 10/10, yes even with the Q light relief interlude, and cheesy bar fight scene.
    “He can be of any color, but he is male,” says Broccoli.

Oh babs, don't be silly. Spare us the 'wokeness'. After SPECTRE we might as well name the next one or the one after that WOKE.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Oh babs, don't be silly. Spare us the 'wokeness'. After SPECTRE we might as well name the next one or the one after that WOKE.
    +1
    I believe that she’s being politely diplomatic.

https://variety.com/2020/film/features/james-bond-no-time-to-die-barbara-broccoli-michael-wilson-1203466601/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Really interesting article that briefly touches upon a time when BB thought Daniel Craig wasn't going to return. I think we'll be in for a long wait when he's done. Plus, the usual suspects will not be on the cards. Something changed with Craig's casting. Fanboy wishlist Bonds are not on Eon's radar. Expect the unexpected.

I agree. I'm thinking maybe even a decade or more wait for the next film.
    Very different producers, Barbara and Cubby.
    I think Cubby probably would have the release date for the next film already set and be contemplating replacement actors.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,665
    +1
    Let's hope so.

Although I'd like him purple.

Come to think of it, he was green in CR, (seeing) red in QOS, black and blue for most of SF, and a bit yellow in SP. So, we've covered many colours already.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    +1
    Let's hope so.

Although I'd like him purple.

Come to think of it, he was green in CR, (seeing) red in QOS, black and blue for most of SF, and a bit yellow in SP. So, we've covered many colours already.

Hahaha!!! 😂😂😂
  • Based on Barbara's comments.....I think the next Bond is such an easy choice.

Arise Sir Idris.

6347134-6403531-image-m-40_1542568940518.jpg

He's 47 but looks great. Let him do like 2 films at the very least.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Sure, give the part to a 51 (in 2024) year old black man. That makes sense.

Loved him in Cats btw (kidding, of course).
    I would absolutely love to see Idris in a first class spy film the features him as an original character.
    I would absolutely love to see Idris in a first class spy film the features him as an original character.

Me too. I'd really love to see that.
    Craig is too old at 51 yet Elba who will be in his 50's by the time the next film comes round is OK to start his tenure at that age?

Seriously Elba has already gone on record saying he doesn't want the role anymore.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 725
    We have so many great black British actors to choose from. How about John Boyega? He would be proper brilliant.
    I have a lot of black friends who are big movie fans, several are huge Bond fans; every one of them chuckles at the discussion of a black Bond.
    I have a lot of black friends who are big movie fans, several are huge Bond fans; every one of them chuckles at the discussion of a black Bond.

This. It's preposterous, just to pander to audiences who don't even care and, in general, prefer Bond to be white, which he in fact is. Just stop, all of you with your absurd agendas.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

This. It's preposterous, just to pander to audiences who don't even care and, in general, prefer Bond to be white, which he in fact is. Just stop, all of you with your absurd agendas.

Yeah actually I see the same they want him white