Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,318
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Thanks @Resurrection & @JeremyBondon. We need another Dalton.

Aidan Turner anyone........?

Yeah, I have been rooting for him on mi6 (quite sure some of you noticed ;) ) since And Then There Were None. The guy was born to play the role, like f.e. Connery and Dalton. For this reason, there are many many factors that make a Bond, he is an obvious choice. In my opinion he is the sole heir, high up there, alone, to take over from Craig.

We're definitely on the same page (by Fleming), @suavejmf

tumblr_plhsu5GqVX1vjmqa0o4_r3_500.gif
    tumblr_plhsu5GqVX1vjmqa0o3_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_pmuz8temh71s95dj0_540.gif
  • suavejmf wrote: »

Yeah, I have been rooting for him on mi6 (quite sure some of you noticed ;) ) since And Then There Were None. The guy was born to play the role, like f.e. Connery and Dalton. For this reason, there are many many factors that make a Bond, he is an obvious choice. In my opinion he is the sole heir, high up there, alone, to take over from Craig.

It still amazes me how anyone can't look at the above and see that "IS" James Bond.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think James D'Arcy looks more like Dalton, than Turner. While Turner has that same byronic look as Dalton, D'Arcy resembles Dalton more, especially around the eyes. And D'Arcy is 6'2" to Turners 5'9".
    I think James D'Arcy looks more like Dalton, than Turner. While Turner has that same byronic look as Dalton, D'Arcy resembles Dalton more, especially around the eyes. And D'Arcy is 6'2" to Turners 5'9".

D'Arcy isn't a very handsome guy, in my book. Squinted eyed, sure. However, Turner can do that trick too:
    Poldark_AidanTurner_S2.png

Turner looks like he actually could be Dalton's son. Turner is about 5'11", not 5'9" btw.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    At the moment Turner is my top choice, sometimes the obvious is the right pick .
    talos7 wrote: »
    At the moment Turner is my top choice, sometimes the obvious is the right pick .

Indeed @talos7 it sometimes just is.

Indeed @talos7 it sometimes just is.

+1, Turner's the man for the job. If the job doesn't get delayed too much.
    parkert5 wrote: »

It still amazes me how anyone can't look at the above and see that "IS" James Bond.

I like Turner but people could say that about Cavil too.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

But Turner has charisma and can act.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Squinted eyed? :-?? It has nothing to do with being..... sqinty eyed (we are still talking about likeness to Dalton, right?). It's the facial structure around the eyes, there is a strong resemblance between Dalton and D'Arcy.

As the end of the day though, Dalton is one of gods most unique creatons, to intense to be replicated.

True. And he has the voice for it. And the eyebrows. Don’t underestimate the importance of eyebrows, which Craig only has highlighted sometimes and they give him expression. The eyebrow is key. Connery had them in spades, Moore added movement to his, so did Pierce, and Dalton had a wolf’s dynamic expression. So I say Turner’s the man because of his better eyebrows.

:) This can be a very silly discussion, even when discussing a most serious matter.

Anyways, Eyebrows!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Exactly at the moment he is the man, sadly i doubt EON will choose him.
    Squinted eyed? :-?? It has nothing to do with being..... sqinty eyed (we are still talking about likeness to Dalton, right?). It's the facial structure around the eyes, there is a strong resemblance between Dalton and D'Arcy.

As the end of the day though, Dalton is one of gods most unique creatons, to intense to be replicated.

Semantics, to be honest, at least in my opinion. I see more of that in Turner's face/ bone structure, let alone the much stronger eyebrows.

Dalton won't be replaced as there is only one, however Turner does incorporate qualities from Dalts, Connery to an extent and a little bit of his fellow Irishman Brozza. Unique, in his own way.

@Univex We're on the same page, per usual ;)

@Resurrection Quite sure Cubby would have chosen him. The dear man would have felt it too, I'm sure.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd go with Turner as the next Bond. I think he is the only one of the potential candidates (that I know of) that can not only act but can be more than a one dimensional.

I'd be disappointed if Turner or even Madden were available and Eon choose either Norton or Cavil. I think both are wooden and boring in terms of their screen presence, especially when compared with Turner and Madden
    @JeremyBondon I am actually in support of Turner as bond just like you ;) and you are right that Cubby would have choosen him for sure but we don't know if Barbara think exactly like us. We can hope.
    Univex wrote: »

True. And he has the voice for it. And the eyebrows. Don’t underestimate the importance of eyebrows, which Craig only has highlighted sometimes and they give him expression. The eyebrow is key. Connery had them in spades, Moore added movement to his, so did Pierce, and Dalton had a wolf’s dynamic expression. So I say Turner’s the man because of his better eyebrows.

:) This can be a very silly discussion, even when discussing a most serious matter.

Anyways, Eyebrows!
    Some may smirk and get a laugh at discussing eyebrows but their importance to a person’s look can’t be underestimated. Just look at Connery; for the role of Bond, quite a bit of attention was given to taming and shaping his brows, It was an important part of creating the character., Just look at them in DAF where they were left unattended.

If you look at Craig throughout his tenure as Bond, he absolutely looks his best when he has visible brows. They really do add expression and are an invaluable tool for actors , with Moore taking it to an extreme. 😉
    Talking about eyebrows may seem silly but it’s no different than the countless other details that go into filmmaking and refining the image of a character.

• M_Blaise wrote: »

I agree. Im not stating that Turner is the only one who looks like he was born to play James Bond but it amazes me how people say they can't see him as James Bond. Im surprised that Tom Cullen from Knightfall hasn't gotten more Bond attention he's another who just looks the part.

I agree. Im not stating that Turner is the only one who looks like he was born to play James Bond but it amazes me how people say they can't see him as James Bond. Im surprised that Tom Cullen from Knightfall hasn't gotten more Bond attention he's another who just looks the part.

I mentioned Cullen on January 1st.
    He definitely has the right look.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I'm al for David Norton. He'll be about 38 when B26 will be released. Which I hope won't be a reboot.
    I see what Cullen has and to a degree I agree, but to me he doesn't have it. He could be the next Ethan Hunt, more of a buff action hero
    lorraine-tv-show-london-uk-shutterstock-editorial-10503832ac.jpg
  • I see what Cullen has and to a degree I agree, but to me he doesn't have it. He could be the next Ethan Hunt, more of a buff action hero

Interesting you only see him as a buff action here. He's played everything from a homosexual in The Weekend to Lord Gillingham on Downtown Abby to a dancer in Desert Dancer. His range is phenomenal. He's arguably the most verstatile actor I've seen mentioned here outside of maybe Jack Huston. Huston a interesting candidate as well.

I see what Cullen has and to a degree I agree, but to me he doesn't have it. He could be the next Ethan Hunt, more of a buff action hero

Interesting you only see him as a buff action here. He's played everything from a homosexual in The Weekend to Lord Gillingham on Downtown Abby to a dancer in Desert Dancer. His range is phenomenal. He's arguably the most verstatile actor I've seen mentioned here outside of maybe Jack Huston. Huston a interesting candidate as well.

Cullen just has that typical look to me, less of a long face, somewhat more square, filled cheeks and a larger frame. It's what he exudes to me, basically. His acting gigs are secondary to me, just talking about his look.

Huston looks extremely feminine to me, definitely a pass.
  • parkert5 wrote: »

Cullen just has that typical look to me, less of a long face, somewhat more square, filled cheeks and a larger frame. It's what he exudes to me, basically. His acting gigs are secondary to me, just talking about his look.

That's interesting to me as well. The guy who played Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire and the new Ben-Hur looks "feminine" to you. I agreee when Huston has long hair he can come across sorta boy bandsih but when he cuts it short and is in dark role he's broading.

That's interesting to me as well. The guy who played Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire and the new Ben-Hur looks "feminine" to you. I agreee when Huston has long hair he can come across sorta boy bandsih but when he cuts it short and is in dark role he's broading.

Let's agree to disagree. Also, you're confusing acting roles with a face value look.
  • parkert5 wrote: »

Let's agree to disagree. Also, you're confusing acting roles with a face value look.

I see what you mean. The ability to transform into a role is more important to me than "face value" or Id say everyday look because with certain hair cuts/styles/workouts/products one can change there look to an extent. You have to have a basic template to work with or it won't work (ex. Danny Devito can't be made to look Bondish)

I see what you mean. The ability to transform into a role is more important to me than "face value" or Id say everyday look because with certain hair cuts/styles/workouts/products one can change there look to an extent. You have to have a basic template to work with or it won't work (ex. Danny Devito can't be made to look Bondish)

I agree with some of your points. Only that that the 'template', if you will, needs to be accurate from the get go, which is subjective. The so called solutions you mention only have limited influence.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well I can see the Turner boys have shown up in droves again ;-)

Anyway, I don't think anyone here would've said this guy could be Bond if they'd seen him like that:
    160335_small.jpg

TO come back to Dalton: the examples given are exact extracts from the books. To me, he isn't that consistent. He's got quite a few very good scenes, but the balloon one when Saunders is killed? That's too much, definately not the cold professional the book Bond is when such a thing happens. The only time he does is when he goes to look at the charred remains of Quarrel.
    Allthough I like Dalton in the role, I think the Daltonites here are overstating his achievements a bit. Yes, he fits the descriptive standouts, and yes he's a decent actor, and yes he did quite a few scenes amazingly. At the smae time he dropped the ball just a tad too many times for my liking.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,677

Hey, when you say "Turner boys" it's because you know there's lots and lots of us, right?

:-D
    And yes, I am a proud Daltonite.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Anyway, I don't think anyone here would've said this guy could be Bond if they'd seen him like that:
    160335_small.jpg

TO come back to Dalton: the examples given are exact extracts from the books. To me, he isn't that consistent. He's got quite a few very good scenes, but the balloon one when Saunders is killed? That's too much, definately not the cold professional the book Bond is when such a thing happens. The only time he does is when he goes to look at the charred remains of Quarrel.
    Allthough I like Dalton in the role, I think the Daltonites here are overstating his achievements a bit. Yes, he fits the descriptive standouts, and yes he's a decent actor, and yes he did quite a few scenes amazingly. At the smae time he dropped the ball just a tad too many times for my liking.

To be honest the films he got didn't really do him that much favours, TLD is definitely his best but LTK is just all over the place, its a gritty violent thriller, then Q turns up with the most absurd bag of tricks ever seen in a Bond film.

Q in the field just undermines the whole Bond on his own in danger element and feels like something from a Moore film, yes in Octopussy but not here.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541

I agree with some of your points. Only that that the 'template', if you will, needs to be accurate from the get go, which is subjective. The so called solutions you mention only have limited influence.

This, anyone can transform themselves into bond these days. I want to see an actor who looks effortless. Someone who will make too much effort to incorporate himself into the character most of the times shows desperation. Not really my cup of tea to be honest and I say again Craig2.0 won't work the second time if they go down that route.