Gemma Arterton's career

in Actors Posts: 5,772
Sorry if there's already a thread about this very talented lady, but I couldn't find it. So, as some of you already knows, this month debuts the musical "Made in Dagenham, and here's the first song :

Too bad I can't travel to London, because it makes me want to see it.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm happy to see that she hasn't been troubled by the 'Bond Girl Curse'.
    I can't fault her really! Good for her and I hope her success continues!
    She has been proven the Bond girl's curse wrong! Especially since her role in QOS was not exactly considered outstanding. I liked QOS, but found her character rather slim.
    A new trailer for a play she did recently :

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SX8nPiQUh5U

Wonder if we hear the actress's most famous line : "I'm the Protestant whore !"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    She made a very notable impression on me in her brief role in QoS. Much more so than Kurylenko, truth be told. Definite star power and screen confidence. I hope she gets back into the spy genre (my favourite) soon.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm happy to see that she hasn't been troubled by the 'Bond Girl Curse'.

As am I; Gemma's a very beautiful and talented actress.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    I've never understood this obsession with Arterton.

She does a perfectly capable job in a nothing role but she hardly makes much more of an impact than Rory Kinnear.

To hear some you'd think she was another Fiona or Vesper in the pantheon of great Bond women.

But each to their own I suppose.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    She does have a magnificent arse ! :x
    I've never understood this obsession with Arterton.

She does a perfectly capable job in a nothing role but she hardly makes much more of an impact than Rory Kinnear.

To hear some you'd think she was another Fiona or Vesper in the pantheon of great Bond women.

But each to their own I suppose.

Well I have to agree with you on that if we're only talking about QoS. Her role was puffed up to be a lot beforehand and so the character of Agent Fields could only come as a disappointment due to her limited screen-time and development. My friend and I certainly thought her role didn't live up to all the hype that there was beforehand when we saw QoS in the cinema in November 2008.

And the rest isn't bad either. But she has proven time and again that she's not just a pretty face.
    Gerard wrote: »

And the rest isn't bad either. But she has proven time and again that she's not just a pretty face.

Indeed, and there's plenty of fine cleavage too!

The Girl with All the Gifts is due for a release here on june 28th, under the title The Last Girl : Celle qui a tous les Dons (???????????) Don't know why they titled it that way. Anyway, here's the trailer :

After the thrid Kingsman movie, the next project of Gemma is a mini-series based on the movie The Black Narcissus. Could be interesting.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Doesn't really hit me at all the same way the 1947 adaptation does. I admire them giving another adaptation a shot but seems to be quite lacking and tonally all over the place.
    Gemma Arterton will soon (may 22nd 2021 if all goes well) grace the stage of the Harold Pinter Theatre in London in Walden, a play by Amy Berryman. The pitch :
    After returning from a year-long Moon mission, Cassie, a NASA botanist, finds herself in a remote cabin in the woods, where her estranged twin sister, Stella, a former NASA architect, has found a new life with climate activist Bryan. Old wounds resurface as the sisters attempt to pick up the pieces of the rivalry that broke them apart.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/shows/west-end-theatre/walden_244593

event-detail-image_31920.jpg
    Hasnt she gone on record as having regretting her Bond experience? I cant remember the article or interview but it wasnt long after this #Metoo thing started where she mentioned how she felt her role in QOS was offensive to her and how she didnt think the '' Can you help me find the stationary ? '' scene approriate and disliked the age difference between her and Craig.

She happily accepted the paycheque though!
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Hasnt she gone on record as having regretting her Bond experience? I cant remember the article or interview but it wasnt long after this #Metoo thing started where she mentioned how she felt her role in QOS was offensive to her and how she didnt think the '' Can you help me find the stationary ? '' scene approriate and disliked the age difference between her and Craig.

Not sure her career would have been as successful without QOS to be honest. It's neither her most famous nor her best role, far from it, but it did put her on the map.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Hasnt she gone on record as having regretting her Bond experience?

@AstonLotus No, she didn't say that: you've misremembered. She just said she wouldn't take it nowadays as she doesn't do roles like that now. She also said she was 'enormously grateful' for the film.

Yes that's right, as she said in the interview, she needed the money. Would you do the same job now which you took right after you left school? I certainly wouldn't. Doesn't mean I regret doing it.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Not sure her career would have been as successful without QOS to be honest. It's neither her most famous nor her best role, far from it, but it did put her on the map.

Hence why she's 'enormously grateful' for it, yes.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 14,799
    Might be for the controversial opinion thread, but some Bond girls like Agent Fields are truly dream roles for upcoming actresses.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Might be for the controversial opinion thread, but some Bond girls like Agent Fields are truly dream roles for upcoming actresses.

Hence why she's 'enormously grateful' for it, yes.
    I would recommend "The Disappearance of Alice Creed" (2009) with Gemma Arterton. It's a gritty kidnapping drama. She matches Olga Kurylenko for gutsy action. It's a low-budget movie, but packs a punch.
    I must say, so far I've been enjoying her in every movie I've seen her in. Strawberry Fields may not be the greatest Bond girls, but she's quite a looker and Gemma gives it her all. That's what I like about her: she always makes the most of the material she has.
    The play Walden, by Amy Berryman, with Gemma Arterton, will be seen in movie theaters as of september 8th :

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/walden-with-gemma-arterton-lydia-wilson-cinema_54695.html