The Flash (TV Series 2014– )

Comments

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    The last episode was very enjoyable. At least the villain was as weak as the last couple had been, but still something the show struggles with. Surprise they off Girder since I was hoping he would come back later in the season. Wells is still an interesting character. The breaking of Barry's mug, Cisco's "you run slower than a normal person" line were funny. Can't wait for next week's crossover!
    Robbie Amell Teases 'Firestorm' Transformation In New Photo From THE FLASH Set
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=111645
    The first part of the crossover delivered big time for me, tremendous fun!

I loved seeing the characters from the two shows mixing, Digg's reaction to Barry, Iris's reaction to Ollie, the Felicity and Caitlyn science girls scene, and Digg and Cisco debating on who was gonna win between Flash and Arrow lol.

I thought Joe not wanting Arrow in his city made sense as he's a straight shooting cop, he's had no communication with him and Ollie has killed a lot of people.

I also thought Wells reaction made sense as well, he's a manipulator, it was one thing for him to play friendly when Ollie was in another city, but he doesn't want him too close with Barry as Ollie is one of the few people that may look fully into Wells, he's an element Wells can't control and thus a threat, hence he immediately turns Barry's mind to the negative regarding Arrow's influence. The fact Ollie immediately feels there is something off with Wells bares this out.

The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the sudden change in Eddie and him wanting to become JJJ with a badge, it was totally out of the blue. It was as if the writers read the positive feedback on the characters "none cliche love rival for the lead" personality, and decided to do something to assure the audience want him away from Iris.

There is no doubt the show runners played Ollie very much as Batman here, from the way he out-thought Barry to the way Joe made reference to terrorist attacks hitting Starling since The Arrow showed up, blaming him for the villains ala Batman.

Using the villain of the week as merely a means to set up The Flash vs Arrow fight was fine with me and I thought bar the speed punches part the fight was brilliantly done.

Now hopefully they deliver an equally satisfying action sequence tomorrow with Arrow and Flash combining their skill sets as a team!
    First Official Look At THE FLASH's 'Reverse-Flash' In Screengrabs From Upcoming Promo
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=111876
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ollie comes to Central City with a lead on something, it's quickly forgotten after Cisco is a dumbass and breaks the lab with it. Ollie finds Barry's metahuman, who is also quickly forgotten after he douses Barry with his emotion sickness. Barry fights Ollie, Ollie fights Barry. Diggle and Cisco have the argument about who can do what. Everybody goes home happy, except for Iris, who now doesn't like the Flash.

This was part 1 in a nutshell. Wasn't bad at all, but this was part 1 in a nutshell. More in-depth review later.
    My review :

Barry just running around doing random stuff was really weird... doubly so because it had absolutely nothing to do with anything else that happened in the episode. Had I been in charge of editing the episode, that's something that would've immediately hit the cutting room floor.

I liked Ray Bivolo's relatively unassuming nature and the way that we never found out exactly what caused him to be able to affect people's negative emotions the way that he could. It was not only a nice departure from the rest of the episodes and the way they've dealt with introducing their MotWs (Metahumans of the Week), it allowed most of the episode's plot to rightfully focus on Team Arrow's interactions with Barry and "Team Flash", and to explore the different ways that certain characters reacted to both the presence of The Arrow in Central City and the practical realities of Barry's activities as The Flash. Even with Joe on his side, it was somewhat inevitable that somebody in the CCPD might decide to take exception to what Barry has been doing with his 'free time', and it was nice to see that particular story point show up, something that I don't think would've been possible if the episode had spent time trying to explain Mr. Bivolo's abilities and their cause.

I do wish there'd been more of a focus on the plot point that will dominate the Arrow side of the crossover event - Digger Harkness' boomerang - but that's my only real complaint about the episode, and as far as 'macguffins' go, it was a pretty neat way to get "Team Arrow" to Central City and give them an excuse to interact with the members of "Team Flash".

Speaking of said interaction, there are three things that stood out to me about it that I want to briefly touch on:
    * Diggle's reaction to what Barry can do was priceless, and played absolutely perfectly by David Ramsey

* I loved that the writers had Oliver basically voice what we as an audience have known since the Pilot: there's something 'off' about Harrison Wells. I just wish he'd said it within earshot of Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin

* There should've been more of a reaction from everybody in the room when Wells randomly outed Oliver as The Arrow, especially since he'd very shortly before asked Felicity to tell him who The Arrow was

* Oliver shooting arrows at Barry was a funny scene sequence, but didn't seem to have much point in and of itself, although I did like the scene where Felicity admits that she knew Oliver was planning to shoot Barry with arrows, especially his reaction and her "it's hard to tell when Oliver is joking" response

* Caitlin and Cisco walking in on a bra-clad Felicity after Barry had to rip her burning blouse off was perfectly played, and a perfect way to follow up on the obvious chemistry between Grant and Emily and the not-quite-resolved issues in their relationship from Felicity's previous trip to Central City

I've made it publicly known that I really want the writers/producers of this show to deviate from the comics and not pair Barry and Iris together, and was therefore really glad to see them take the bold step of severing the blooming relationship between her and Barry's red-clad alter-ego, because it's the first sign that they might end up giving me what I want to see, and also helps strengthen the relationship between Iris and Eddie - which I really enjoy - by giving them a 'common cause'. It also puts Iris on a very interesting path as far as her journalism and blogging activities goes.

Speaking of Eddie, I think tonight's episode pretty much cements it that, contrary to speculation, he's not going to turn out to be "The Man in the Yellow Suit" (whose proper debut will be coming next week), and I think that's great because it allows the writers to do things with his character that are far more interesting and nuanced than just having him be a bad guy.

We knew from the official synopsis for next week's episode that Ronnie was set to return, but I liked that we didn't actually have to wait until next week and got his official return in tonight's episode stinger. I'm not sure how this whole 'dual consciousness' thing is going to work vis a vis his character, but am interested to see what happens when he and Caitlin are reunited and if she ends up finding out about his fiery condition.

All in all, tonight's episode was a very satisfying way to kick off the 2-part crossover event between the two shows, but I also liked that the crossover wasn't the only thing that the episode set up, which can sometimes happen when you have big events of this kind (where the story is all about the crossover and not about stuff that's actually going to be pertinent beyond the crossover).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The opening was decent. Certainly no better nor worse than the standard opening of an episode of Flash.

Then we get to the episode's villain, Prism. Stupid name, but, hey, Cisco can't name for sh*t, so... I don't really get him all that well. Was there some backstory thing I missed that explained why Prism was running around making people feel negative emotions? Or is he just another one-dimensional villain among many that this show will likely struggle with for its first two seasons (because I'm sure this will get a second season)?

Oh well, either way, the moment where Barry saved the citizens in what I remember to be a bank (it was a bank, right? I really should have written this review as I watched the episode, not like I wasn't by a computer) was pretty good, and led into the scene where, apparently, pillow talk for Iris and Eddie consists of talk about the Flash. Eddie's desire to take the Flash down likely revolves around his girlfriend comparing the two of them.

The captain mentioned his boyfriend. I think this is the first time the captain's homosexuality was brought up. Kudos. I truly never saw it coming. Not quite "Beth got shot on The Walking Dead" level of surprise, but, hey. Gay police captain. All for it.

Then came the cops going after Prism, which obviously didn't work out well. 99% of the metahumans aren't bulletproof, but it's nice to know that the Central City PD is so inept that they can't just shoot them when they have probable cause. (By the way, I know, other than Detective West, none of them do have probable cause, but I guarantee this won't be the last time they choose not to shoot somebody even when they do have probable cause.) It wasn't a particularly good scene prior to Ollie showing up and shooting the corrupted cop with arrows, but it wasn't horrible.

That was when this episode's real crossover event began, as Ollie drives off toward Team Arrow and Barry beats him there, freaking the sh*t out of Diggle. That. Was. Great. Diggle being completely out of his mind with awe at what Barry can do is just great, despite the fact that he has gone toe-to-toe with Mirakuru soldiers and worked alongside the Suicide Squad. I can't wait until he meets the immortal Ra's Al Ghul and then sh*ts his pants when he sees Supergirl (as the shows may share a universe, which is great).

Wells is still showing that potentially evil side with his distrust of Oliver. He clearly has it figured out from the moment somebody mentions "The Arrow is in Central City!", but he still holds out until just the right moment to tell Felicity to call Ollie.

A depressingly small portion of the show was focused on Barry's "training". Ollie fired one arrow at him then shot in the back with two crossbows that weren't really all that disguised. That was pretty much it. Then we got all these scenes of Joe telling Barry "I don't like that Arrow guy" and stuff like that. ("He's not a hero like you?" Okay. Oliver's been at this for years, Barry for a few months. Sure, Starling has suffered two terrorist attacks in that time, and you can damn well bet a third is on its way, but c'mon. One of those was in motion before Oliver ever landed on the island from Lost and the other one had to wait for an Australian guy to decide that the time was right.) There was some good back-and-forth between Team Arrow and Team Flash throughout the episode, including Iris meeting Oliver, which was nice.

Oh, yeah, that one thing that led Team Arrow to Central City in the first place? Dropped the second it was brought to Star Labs, pretty much. Captain Boomerang's boomerang was just dumped. I don't even remember if it was picked up near the end, when Team Arrow left. Why cross the two shows over if these two things have nothing to do with one another?

Anyway, then Prism infects Barry with his Super Eye Powers of Emo-Ness (TM) and Barry is just too emo to realize that he's f*cked up, when everybody else can see it as easily as if a giant monkey was climbing the Empire State Building. He goes on, emoing all over the place, yelling at every damn thing he can. One scene particularly hits me, he's yelling at Joe and he mentions everyone who's telling him to calm down (or something like that), and despite the fact that Joe doesn't know anything about any "Oliver" and has been hearing about "The Arrow", Joe doesn't seem to connect the dots, even though his daughter has probably mentioned "I saw Oliver Queen at work today!". Granted, Joe doesn't seem surprised later on at Star Labs when Wells decides to sick Ollie on Barry, so, maybe it did sink in. But, seriously, Barry practically yelled out the Arrow's secret identity, and the one person in the know didn't seem to realize it.

Now comes the fight, and it delivered. It wasn't as good as the fights on Agents of SHIELD later on that night, but it was still pretty good for a fight between a dude with a bow and arrow and a dude with super speed. And Diggle and Cisco practically geeking out over the whole thing was great. "Barry has super speed, all your guy has is a bow." "Do you know how many people Oliver's killed with that bow?"

In the end, of course, Barry's emo-ness was fixed, Barry apologized to everybody, and now Iris doesn't really like the Flash too much, since the Flash Vs. Arrow fight begin with the Flash trying to kill Eddie. It was a nice touch to have the woman Ollie had a kid with show up at the end. After all, she probably wanted to say "Would you like to meet your son?", to which Ollie would have said, "Whoa, wait a minute! Somebody call Maury, I could have sworn you had a miscarriage!" I'd honestly forgotten all about this woman until she showed up, and I guarantee I'm not the only one.

So, as an episode of The Flash, this wasn't bad. As Part One of a crossover, it could have been significantly better because it ultimately led to nothing, since Prism wasn't caught and Captain Boomerang's boomerang was more-or-less forgotten about. And with the tease at the end showing Caitlin's boyfriend (and Stephen Amell's cousin) going all Human Torch, this really could have just been any other episode of The Flash that just happened to have Oliver Queen in it as opposed to a big crossover like the CW has been advertising.

Pros:
    +The cross-team dialogue. Diggle and Cisco were great together. That training scene, brief though it was, was good (and kind of paid homage to that teaser trailer where Barry caught Ollie's arrow and Ollie called him a show-off).
    +The ending tease was good, with pretty good visual effects.
    +The scene where Ollie met his kid's mother.
    +"I have a prison like this. Mine's on an island in the South China Sea." Best line in the episode.

Cons:
    -The boomerang thread was dropped.
    -Prism pretty much disappeared. You can bet he's going to Starling City because that's literally the only other place he can go.
    -Spot The Eventual Bad Guy! Clue: He's in a wheelchair.
    -Barry's awkward emo lines. Why is it when people are uncontrollably angry, TV tends to give them the most awkward lines known to man?

We'll see if the Arrow side of this crossover is better.
    Can't wait

• Not only is Amanda Pays returning as Tina, but today it was announced that Mark Hamill is returning as The Trickster!!

Awesome news but at this point they may as well just have JWS keep playing The Flash!! =))
    Mark Hamill returning to the role that turned him into the Joker?!

Excuse me... I have some... Things... To deal with...
    YESSSS !!! Incredible news.

Mark Hamill Will Play 'The Trickster' On THE FLASH
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=112101
    edited December 2014 Posts: 7,854
    Christmas time is here again! Okay, well, it's The Flash's first Christmas episode, but oh well. Barry and Joe are decorating a tree. He speed decorates a tree. He's f*cking cheating. Iris comes in with that wonderful Christmas drink, egg nog, and then Joe has to go. Barry and Iris exchange gifts (a couple days early, apparently) and then Eddie shows up to totally cock block Barry. Good job, Eddie.

Speak of Eddie, at one point just shortly after this, he and Iris are having coffee absolutely nowhere near Joe's house and he tells Iris what Iris is obviously too stupid to realize on her own: Barry likes her. It's times like these that I hate in this series, they show that Iris, who is supposed to be an intelligent woman, is a f*cking moron. Eddie then produces the most romantic thing a man can give a woman: a key to his apartment.

Barry drops some gifts off at Star Labs, which looks like it depresses Harrison Ford Wells. Apparently, this used to be his favorite time of year up until that particle accelerator that he probably sabotaged blew up. Nice bit of continuity, since last year's Arrow where Barry debuted did air just before Christmas. Anyway, Caitlin goes off to buy him a Christmas present.

Reverse Flash drops by a lab and kills people. This lab is run by Dr. Tina McGee, a holdover from the original Flash series. This addition would be cool for someone like my older brother who loves the original series, but I was never much of a fan of it, or Tina McGee in particular, so I don't really care. Barry runs forensics, Joe shows up to be a detective, and a witness describes Reverse Flash. It's f*cking on now, as far as Barry's concerned. Oh, and Joe tells Barry that he knew Reverse Flash was back.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the scene where Caitlin first sees Robbie Amell. Oops. Yeah, it really doesn't go anywhere except to Caitlin telling Cisco that Robbie Amell is still alive, unlike The Tomorrow People. Clearly this metahuman is meta reference.

Barry and Harrison Ford Wells (for some reason) go to see Dr. McGee and ask for the thing they assume Reverse Flash is after. Now that I think about it, I believe Wells himself suggested that Reverse Flash wanted this device (some tachyon thing, name of which I cannot remember). Maybe that's fuel on the fire of Wells being Reverse Flash. Guess we'll have to wait until the end of the episode.

Barry sits in his forensics lab, and I'm seriously believing that he's the entire forensics team, because the entire room (which is a little bit bigger than the Arrow Cave) is full of his stuff. He has a flashback to the day his mother was killed by Reverse Flash. Somebody, I think Iris, shows up to talk to him for a second, then leaves. Honestly, I've forgotten this scene entirely, but then the next paragraph happens.

Reverse Flash shows up at Barry's lab and taunts Barry into following him. They then proceed to have a Flash-Off (TM) at the local football stadium, but Reverse Flash is beating his ass, as well as taunting him again. Reverse Flash tells Barry that his destiny is to lose, then he leaves.

Barry returns to Star Labs, where a mission update proceeds about the plan to lure and catch the Reverse Flash is given. Joe and Barry then travel back to Mercury Labs to put pressure on Dr. McGee, and it works. They get their lure device, and then Joe heads back to the police station, where Eddie pressures Joe for Flash Information. Joe doesn't like this.

Back to Cisco and Caitlin! They're still on the hunt for Robbie Amell, and surprise surprise, they find him. He looks like he's living under a bridge and he seems to have some memory problems. He calls himself Firestorm, then he Human Torches into a commercial break.

We come back and Cisco and Caitlin are right back at Star Labs, and the trap is set for Reverse Flash, but Joe and Harrison Ford don't want Barry there. Barry's pissed that Joe withheld the fact that Reverse Flash was there from him, and Wells is very much on Joe's side. Barry then storms off to do something because it's clearly two against one (who can run at super speed).

Cisco heads backstage, where he comforts Caitlin, who's crying about Robbie Amell giving her the cold shoulder. I know his name is Ronnie, but I really can't stop calling him Robbie Amell.

Barry goes to see the original Flash (also known as his father, on this show), to tell him that he's caught sight of Reverse Flash. John Wesley Shipp is on the verge of tears, while Barry is bawling his eyes out. I'm calling him John Wesley Shipp because I truly cannot remember his character's name other than "Barry's dad". Oh, and John Wesley Shipp knows that Barry is in love with Iris. A man in a f*cking prison can tell, but Iris herself cannot. I seriously would not be surprised if the guard in the background knew. Wouldn't be at all.

Barry goes back to Joe's, where Iris notices that Barry is down. Oh, hey! Barry tells Iris that she has a crush on her! Nobody has hidden it, why is Iris the only one who's surprised by this? Dr. McGee probably knows. I'm not even joking. Tense, emotional scene, but only Grant Gustin seems to be showing the emotion.

Now the trap for Reverse Flash. Everybody, including Eddie, stands around, and Reverse Flash actually shows up, and it's not Wells. There's a bunch of cops around, too. Joe goes to talk to Reverse Flash, ask him why he killed Barry's mother. Reverse Flash appears to want to meet Wells. Wells and Reverse Flash have a conversation, then Reverse Flash does the most surprising thing, he beats the sh*t out of Wells. Nearly kills him. The he proceeds to beat the sh*t out of the cops, and then Barry grabs him.

They fight in the parking lot, where Reverse Flash unmasks Barry, and then Robbie Amell shows up and saves Barry's life. He then promptly Human Torches again and leaves, signalling the commercial break.

It's Christmas at the Police Station! and Eddie and Joe have a very intense conversation about metahumans. Joe tells Eddie that he knows who the Flash is, but doesn't tell him who he is.

Cisco and Caitlin explain everything they know about Robbie Amell to Wells, and he sympathizes with them. He seems genuine about this. He wants Robbie Amell back just as much as they do.

Barry and Joe talk about Barry's mom, who apparently did a lot of travelling. I've got to say, throughout this entire episode, the Joe/Barry dialogue has been the best. This man who has a child of his own is telling Barry that he's the best thing that ever happened ot him. Iris must feel good. Granted, she's a f*cking idiot, but still.

Joe invited the Star Labs crew to Christmas. Eddie, too. 99% of the main cast is there. Cisco tells Joe exactly what I've been saying since the pilot, that there were two speedy people in Barry's house those many years ago. My "Barry's a time traveler, too!" theory may be right.

Wells has a Flash ring... huh. I'm about to miss a plot twist to watch Agents of SHIELD. Op. No I didn't. Wells IS Reverse Flash.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,107
    After rewatching the episode I changed my theory a little .

I think Wells is Zolomon. He's pretending to be the Reverse Flash, the one who killed Barry's mother, to train Barry. So Barry can take on Thawne.
    It's been apparent from the beginning that show wants you to think there's only one Reverse Flash and that Wells was it. However, those familiar with the comics know there are technically two--Eobard Thawne and Hunter Zolomon. And it appears the Flash TV series is taking the Zolomon approach with Wells in that his motivation is to try and make Barry into a "better hero/increase his speed," and that, rather than have actual super speed, he manipulates time. Hence the need for the Tachyon particles as they appear to power the yellow suit.

Having a character on the show named "Eddie Thawne" is just way too coincidental for it not to be a reference towards Eobard Thawne, and no way would the show go for the complicated route of having Eddie be Malcon and Barry's twin brother or some such. Instead, the simplest answer is the real Reverse Flash is a future version of Eddie Thawne, hence why the Reverse Flash in the last episode didn't kill him, either because it was Wells in the suit who knew full well Thawne had to stay alive, or it's the future Thawne himself.
    THEORY: Reverse Flashes? or Not?... Spoilers for S01E09
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=112208

Reverse Flash from this episode is confirmed Harrison Wells. Cavanagh even did all the revers flash lines. this is the unscrambled version

My question is how two Wells were there, as Reverse Flash was beating the ever loving sh*t out of Wells (who somewhat confirmed his abilities not shortly after, because he looked much less injured on that table while talking to Cisco and Caitlin than he did after having his ass kicked). Are there two Reverse Flashes, one from a future where Wells went insane and tries to kill Barry and one where he doesn't?

So far, Harrison Ford Wells is turning into the best part of this show.
    My thinking is this - Eddie is Eobard's ancestor. Wells is Eobard. In the future, he goes back in time a few times, resulting in him being there the night Barry's mother died (as is the Flash) to give Barry the tragic spark, being there to get the Particle Accelerator going (thus creating the Flash) and staying behind to study him etc, so that in the future, he can have a fully developed suit capable of defeating the Flash. The most futuristic version of Eobard comes back to help Wells get ahold of the Tachyon device, and then pummels him to throw people off. Eobard goes back to the future, leaving Wells to continue to push the Flash's limits so that he can study him at his strongest and implement that into the suit for future Eobard's use.

Or second theory : If the Reverse Flash we saw was Wells, and if his suit is powered by Tachyon's, then what we might have seen was a causal-loop. Wells uses the Tachyon device to power up the Yellow Suit as we saw in the epilogue. Then, after it's been juiced, he uses it to run back in time 24 hours to Mercury Labs, as we saw in the beginning of the episode. Which also means there are now two Wells, one in the suit and one who isn't. This then results in Wells, and later Barry, convincing Mercury Labs to use their tachyon device as bait and the force field containment unit. Which, of course, leads to suit-Wells fighting his earlier, non-suit Wells and also taking the device. Which, of course, non-suit Wells knows where to find, and thus he uses to power up the suit to go back in time as planned. Suit-Wells, of course, stays in the present and closes out the loop.

Which one do you like better ? :)
    When my brain reboots, I'll give you an answer.
    I just realized this. You can see his face heal fast in the final scene of the episode.
    You can actually see his bruises just fading away.

R17hFfF.jpg

txPo3Nm.jpg
    Just look at him when he got his ass handed to him by Reverse Flash and compare that to when he was on the table talking to Cisco and Caitlin. He did a bit of healing between those two scenes, which can't be more than an hour apart.
    Just look at him when he got his ass handed to him by Reverse Flash and compare that to when he was on the table talking to Cisco and Caitlin. He did a bit of healing between those two scenes, which can't be more than an hour apart.

Now how is he going to explain that?
    Season's Greetings from Tom & Carlos

What an incredible duet!!
    THE FLASH Season 1, Episode 11 Description; "The Sound And The Fury"
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113346
    'Barry Allen' And 'Iris West' Lock Lips On The Set Of THE FLASH
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113416
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,107
    Interesting :
    Identity Of 'Reverse-Flash' Confirmed By THE FLASH Star, But Is He The Only One?
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113457

The Flash: Reverse-Flash's Identity Revealed... But is There More To It?
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/12/the-flash-reverse-flashs-identity-revealed-but-is-there-more-than-one

Tom Cavanagh - "That Was Me" In The REVERSE-FLASH Suit
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=113555
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,107
    Fans Petition White House For FLASH APPRECIATION DAY
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperheroSquare/news/?a=113728

THE FLASH: Grant Gustin Talks 'Reverse-Flash', Mark Hamill, Season Two Renewal, And More
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113819
    THE FLASH: Grant Gustin Promises "Big Twist" In 'Reverse-Flash' Story At End Of Season One
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113873

Clancy Brown will be back ! :)
    Twist, eh... Can't wait.